test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And here we go again ... another week before we even see any patch. Can STO get any worse than it is now? Here we are, 12 days, and still this bleeding launcher glitch won't let us in.

I imagine we'll be here in this same spot, a month from now.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys, my 9 year old son discovered last night that if he activates a tribble the graphics bugs go away or are at least lessened. I thought he was joking but he showed me. We told the fleet and some others tried it and reported the same result. So for all those with the weird graphics try stroking your tribble every hour. It's seems to be based on how long the buff stays up because other ground buffs also clear it but they don't last long of course, the tribble buffs usually last an hour. Worth trying at least.

Good luck everyone.

since this is a graphics compatability error, it isnt that you have downgraded, its just simply that your old pc is compatible and the other isnt. a few of us have dusted off old pc's it dosent always work
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Exactly. I wouldn't try doing that ...
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys, my 9 year old son discovered last night that if he activates a tribble the graphics bugs go away or are at least lessened. I thought he was joking but he showed me. We told the fleet and some others tried it and reported the same result. So for all those with the weird graphics try stroking your tribble every hour. It's seems to be based on how long the buff stays up because other ground buffs also clear it but they don't last long of course, the tribble buffs usually last an hour. Worth trying at least.

Good luck everyone.

Thx for the info. Funny how things work sometime.

Still doesnt change the fact, that all 18897741 club members got their rights as animal owners revoked. We cant even visit them... :(

PS: Phage Tribble anyone? :D
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Good luck everyone.

that tells me that the coding for season 8 is extreamly unstable, if what you are saying is true, two pieces of unrelated coding are mingling, thats bad programming right there.

prehaps the season 8 patch has been written with a diffo, codeing system which would cause instability especially when the old code mixes with the new. they may be trying to gradually trying to put a new engine in place. seen somethin like this happen beforewhen programmers try to use a new system
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I wonder if there is more F2P gamers affected by this then Subscription gamers.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Sorry, wrong story.

Good news; I got into the game, took a quick look at the Dyson Sphere (Fact: Romulan Intelligence comments that the Jenolan Sphere 'Disappeared'... what happened to the research teams that were studying it?), managed to quickly sweep through my active characters (did not try to start a new Fed char to play the tutorial) and claimed the Solanae Tribble for them all....

Bad news; I did this by digging out a spare laptop that's laying around the house for 'emergencies' and falling back on my theory of loading the game from a Pre-F2P disc, updating the files and giving it a go. As soon as I logged out, shut it down and came back to my own Laptop to give it a try...

Yep, you guessed it. 18897741.

Strange thing is that the 'spare' laptop is about the same age as mine, so maybe what someone mentioned a page or so ago about 'compatible' graphics cards could mean something...

All I know is that my biggest concern - not claiming my Tribbles in time - has been dealt with and with it being the holiday season... I think I'm good for another couple weeks, maybe.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It would be hilarious if this only affected the F2P'ers. If it was overwhelmingly F2Pers that this is affecting, then it would be a major fail on the part of Cryptic.
  • Options
    trahdahlintrahdahlin Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    F2P here....Yes, MAJOR EPIC FAIL!
    *face palm* I am doing my best to try and stay optimistic but remarks like that just make the wound open up again.....I am feeling the burn like I did when Blizzard killed Diablo 2 lol You all remember Hell freezing over, right? But at least that was still be playable.:P
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I was optimistic but the longer this problem drags on the more impatient many of us are getting. It makes it useless for Cryptic to extend that Tribble offer when they have still made the game unavailable for anyone to log into.

What next? Free Zen to those who can't log in?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I would be happy with just a free month.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately, the game is useless if nobody can't log in to play the thing. I'd just like to know why they haven't been able to figure out what they did wrong to cause these glitches in the first place.
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It could be helpful if people indicate if they are Subscribers or F2Pers.
    I dont believe it has something to do with it, but here ya go:

I play STO since Open Beta January 2010 (with the same PC system by the way). Collected 700 days of subscription under my belt. I switched to Silver as the game went F2P in January 2012. Since then, i occasionally dropped some money here & there. Needless to say, that i am NOT in a spending mood atm.

I cant just buy a better graphics card, it would mean a complete new PC, which is not an option atm. And even if i would get a complete new up to date PC, reports in this whole thread indicate that the problem maybe still exists. It's Cryptics Season 8 code updates.
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    turjanturjan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    There is no fix. This all-encompassing error is on Cryptic's end. Reformatting your computer or laptop, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating your drivers ... nothing works. There's nothing wrong with anyone's setup and I would not recommend doing anything until Cryptic fixes this problem on their end.

Exactly.

For all the people saying that because Season 8 doesn't work we now need to update this, or reinstall that, I say this -

If I've been driving to work over a bridge for years and then suddenly one day I arrive at the bridge to find it's been blown up, do I then blame my car because I can't get to work?
    I think not...
    It would be hilarious if this only affected the F2P'ers. If it was overwhelmingly F2Pers that this is affecting, then it would be a major fail on the part of Cryptic.

Speaking as a Lifetime subscriber afflicted with Season 8 Shutout Syndrome, I say if F2Pers being affected would be 'Major Fail', then would it also affecting the rest of us mean it gets a promotion to 'General Fail'? ;)
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Why would it be hilarious? We may not pay for access but some of us have paid a ton in microtransactions.

I know I've shelled out 2500 zen for a Charal, zen for ec cap increase, zen for more boff slots and more zen for master keys. Plus zen for dilithium and zen for a liberated borg. Given that we've paid for these items we have a right to use them.

I had also been going to get account bound bank slots, more character slots and eventually two more ships. Now I'm not so sure if its worth my time and ?'s.

Even those who havent paid have (usually) enriched the game by filling out pvp and pve qeues posting advice on the forums and providing a market/supply to the in game economy. Theyve paid by time.

Back to the issue at hand though. I know we're all getting madder and madder at not only the enormous waste of time and energy but loss of resources. The devs not responding to us or keeping us informed doesnt help either.

Bran had over an hour to do that livestream ast night but he didnt take even 2 minutes to drop us a post saying we havent been forgotten and that progress has been made/not made on a solution.

I propose we start a new thread to air our grievances and discuss the rise of the order of persistence , with higher visibility so crytpic will be forced to answer us and keep this one purely for tech stuff. Where do you think a good place for this would be?

Also, tried reinstalling (again) today. No luck, still getting error 25664664. I might make it my new NCC number in game.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    mortuus2408mortuus2408 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    F2P here

And i stay F2P
    Simplication Award Winner
    Admirals Log Stardate....aaaahm....whats today's Stardate?
  • Options
    valdepessumirevaldepessumire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I too have spent money on the game for add ons etc.. probably in the region of $500 ish (I had a couple of big lock-box opening sprees etc..)

If this isnt sorted in the next week or so, given ive paid for the items, ill be requesting compensation or a full refund for the amount ive spent and the removal of the items from the account, or the closing of it.

Not in the mood for stuff like this, as given the amount of money the studio must make, its a joke and makes me feel like there taking us for a ride.
  • Options
    wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Got report from my fleet website, sounds like problems growing not just us with error codes, but TRIBBLE graphics errors make game unplayable. No comment on Branflakes hosting his gig, it's his job and I don't want to be given a 'timeout' by Q for inappropriate comments, if you know what I mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dave18193 wrote: »
    Why would it be hilarious? We may not pay for access but some of us have paid a ton in microtransactions.

I know I've shelled out 2500 zen for a Charal, zen for ec cap increase, zen for more boff slots and more zen for master keys. Plus zen for dilithium and zen for a liberated borg. Given that we've paid for these items we have a right to use them.

I had also been going to get account bound bank slots, more character slots and eventually two more ships. Now I'm not so sure if its worth my time and ?'s.

Even those who havent paid have (usually) enriched the game by filling out pvp and pve qeues posting advice on the forums and providing a market/supply to the in game economy. Theyve paid by time.

Back to the issue at hand though. I know we're all getting madder and madder at not only the enormous waste of time and energy but loss of resources. The devs not responding to us or keeping us informed doesnt help either.

Bran had over an hour to do that livestream ast night but he didnt take even 2 minutes to drop us a post saying we havent been forgotten and that progress has been made/not made on a solution.

I propose we start a new thread to air our grievances and discuss the rise of the order of persistence , with higher visibility so crytpic will be forced to answer us and keep this one purely for tech stuff. Where do you think a good place for this would be?

Also, tried reinstalling (again) today. No luck, still getting error 25664664. I might make it my new NCC number in game.

Where would be a good place? I am all for that, this is getting way out of hand. "Unsure of what I causing the issue" is no longer a valid excuse.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No News is still No News......sigh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited November 2013
    No news simply means that they're not interested in admitting that there's a problem.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    if they are using the same software as they were a few years ago, it may be because they are trying to use "updated" software and it may be incompatible with the rest of the game, as i was saying it would explain why 2 such unrelated things would afect each other, to adapt the new code to the old, they would have to run adaptations thru every single file.
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ither that or the guy at the troubleshooting desk is a rookie
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gah! There seems to have been another tribble patch and now I'm getting "Unknown" in the crash reporter, followed by the crash reporter crashing :(

Holodeck has gone back to dishing out the '1885s. No more 7741's on my end it seems.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Anyone seen kyledewit? Miss the mad ranter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    twofatnutstwofatnuts Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have 400 days of game play i bought lifetime membership and gal-x dreadnought as my first ship i cant even play this game coz its crashes ,now thats what i call ripoff.

My pc Pentiom 4 3.2Ghz+ht
    ati radeon x1950 pro gpu 512MB
    2GB ram
    Win xp pro sp3
    abit is7-E2 mainboard

Everything worked on mid settings till season 8 :S

Im not going to change my pc spec until new gpu from ati in 20 nm come out.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kyledimwit? lols :D
This discussion has been closed.