What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion playable species for Federation?

Comments

• Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So,basically all you want is a species that look like Humans with green skin...which you can already have by using the alien creator....

You know what....I'm not buying it,the moment you get the Orions on the Fed side you want the outfits too....because it's 'canon'.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Any Federation Orion needs to have skimpy clothing. Otherwise, there is no point. Cryptic has mentioned the Bridge Officer to Captain system so it could be a way to get Federation Orions.
  • Options
    mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No to Orions in the Federation as they were always a seedy/villain race in the show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    You know what....I'm not buying it,the moment you get the Orions on the Fed side you want the outfits too....because it's 'canon'.

Federation side can buy formal or the Mirror Universe costume packs, if they wish striperific costumes so badly. That's more "canon" for them.

You don't have full KDF costumes unlocked for Federation Z-Store Klingons, though the species are available and from time to time Worf was wearing KDF uniform in shows.
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll probably draw flak for this, but am I the only one who feels like Orions shouldn't be playable at all?

They don't make much sense for the Federation, since we never saw an Orion Starfleet officer in canon, they're apparently universally criminals (or slaves), and they're probably unlikely to be given access to sensitive Starfleet technology.

They make even less sense for the Klingon Empire, whose philosophy and ideology is almost the polar opposite; if the Empire wanted something the Orions had, they would have been more likely to just conquer them. I can't imagine a somewhat loose affiliation of criminals and slavers would be a match for a highly disciplined military force.

They probably fit with the Romulans better than anyone else - similar shady character, unscrupulous nature, cunning tactics, reliance on intel, etc.

And no matter what faction you're on, Orions are one of the most prolific NPC enemies, which doesn't exactly make for the best playable species...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No to Orions in the Federation as they were always a seedy/villain race in the show.

This is the exact opposite of everything Star Trek ever stood for.:rolleyes:
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll probably draw flak for this, but am I the only one who feels like Orions shouldn't be playable at all?

They don't make much sense for the Federation, since we never saw an Orion Starfleet officer in canon, they're apparently universally criminals (or slaves), and they're probably unlikely to be given access to sensitive Starfleet technology.(...)

Just because we never saw one doesn't justify to me that there are no Orions in Starfleet. After all, their Planet lies in Federation territory and I doubt a whole civilization is genetically bound to be a part of a criminal syndicate. Regarding the "slave girls", you do realize that the Orion women aren't the slaves in that deal, right? :D This is a common mistake, even the writers of the JJ Trek movies didn't get that.
    They make even less sense for the Klingon Empire, whose philosophy and ideology is almost the polar opposite; if the Empire wanted something the Orions had, they would have been more likely to just conquer them. I can't imagine a somewhat loose affiliation of criminals and slavers would be a match for a highly disciplined military force.

They probably fit with the Romulans better than anyone else - similar shady character, unscrupulous nature, cunning tactics, reliance on intel, etc.

(...)

I agree with you on that one, though STOs Klingons are indeed morons. According to in-game lore, they gladly accepted "slave girls" as gifts for every major house, which basically means that Orions control every major house and are basically the new Klingon Empire. I think Orions would best fit in a third "rogue" faction or actually make sense being Romulan allies if they would make them a whole faction. Which they won't. Because.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    From what I understand the Orion home world is no more, having succumbed to missuse and is abandonded. With the alliance with Jmpok they have both completely joined and found a new world within the Empires territories.

If you wish to play an Orion then play KDF or create one for fedside via the alien template.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    And no matter how much they insist on being proud, honorable warriors, 90% of Klingons (from the shows, mind) are little better than drunken thugs. It's really rather frightening to think that the Klingon who most lives up to their ideals, Worf, son of Mogh, fought for the Federation for most of his adult life.
    That is because Worf is a Klingon raised apart from other Klingons and brought up in the idealized image of a Klingon, much like the idealized samurai code of Bushido...which real, actual, samurai, didn't really follow too closely at all, much in the same way the chivalrous ideal of the western knight was upheld very little if at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2013
    I file that as a brain bug. Curzon Dax was in good with the Klingons, therefore there must be lots of other Trill who were in good with the Klingons.

If Feds get greenskins (possibly as a C-Store unlock only), the Klinks should get another exclusive playable species. Maybe one of their allied Gamma Quadrant species like the Dosi or something. And I agree that Ferengi should probably be cross-faction.

Shush, you, can't you see this is a thread about stealing KDF exclusives? /s

That being said, having the Chalnoth or the Talarians would be interesting.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2013
    This. I double-checked Mem Alpha and all the prime universe Orion characters are Syndicate-affiliated. However, that doesn't make it impossible: the homeworld is in Federation space, though it isn't a Federation member, and the EU has at least one female Orion who's a scientist in Starfleet (I believe in William Shatner's The Return).

I wouldn't say it's 100% established that the Orion system is in fact within/surrounded by Federation space. Various maps and charts seem to place it in different places, according to Memory Alpha.

I think, for the purposes of Star Trek Online, we can assume Orion is not in Federation space, or is merely on the border of it. Perhaps it's between Romulus and the Tholian Assembly, one of the suggested locations in Memory Alpha. That would certainly place it out of Federation territory, but close enough to affect things and run a criminal syndicate.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Soo.... who else remembers the "House of Quark"? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just make an alien and make her green like I did. Seduce and Seductive are poor traits, anyway.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Im game for Orions in Starfleet. :) Its the only KDF race I ever make anyways.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    no.
    you have your trashy mirror outfits, your nurses skirt, and your rom micros, leave the orion silks alone. after all, thats what this really boils down to, right?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Federation side can buy formal or the Mirror Universe costume packs, if they wish striperific costumes so badly. That's more "canon" for them.

You don't have full KDF costumes unlocked for Federation Z-Store Klingons, though the species are available and from time to time Worf was wearing KDF uniform in shows.

First of all,don't call it 'Z-Store'....even Cryptic still calls it C-Store.

Let me put it this way...why are female Orion Bridge Officers so expensive on the exchange?Trait wise,space and ground,there are better species available.....

It all boils down to one thing,and all the uptight people are just afraid to admit it.Instead of wasting your time with this nonsense,go to a Star Trek convention/meeting/party and meet some 'real' Orion girls.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You will do your best not assuming for other people motivations, instead of wasting your time with this nonsense.

My opening post has exactly the written meaning, no small print attached.

I hardly care why people are buying female Orion boffs. Their traits are useful only on ground, sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You will do your best not assuming for other people motivations, instead of wasting your time with this nonsense.

My opening post has exactly the written meaning, no small print attached.

I hardly care why people are buying female Orion boffs. Their traits are useful only on ground, sometimes.

You have yet to make a single compelling argument why Orions should be a playable Federation species.Without the 'unique qualities' the Orions have in game,they are nothing more than green skinned Human looking aliens....and look at that,you can use the Alien creator to create....a green skinned Human looking alien!OMG,what a surprise!:eek:

Want to try this dance again,or do you admit you were caught 'green handed'?

• Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Forget Orions. Give us playable Deltans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I also want to play as a walking pair of TRIBBLE.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First of all,don't call it 'Z-Store'....even Cryptic still calls it C-Store.

Let me put it this way...why are female Orion Bridge Officers so expensive on the exchange?Trait wise,space and ground,there are better species available.....

It all boils down to one thing,and all the uptight people are just afraid to admit it.Instead of wasting your time with this nonsense,go to a Star Trek convention/meeting/party and meet some 'real' Orion girls.

Orions rock on ground. Nothing beats watching a Klingon swordmaster slaughtering his own men because he caught a face full of pheromones. And some people just want to have the real species and not some alien mock-up. When the game was released I made a Klingon-looking Fed alien. A few days later Cryptic released the Fed Klingons in the C-Store and I started over. I had an Orion BO who was an alien and got replaced as soon as Cryptic gave me the option to get a real one through diplomacy (the pre-doff grind put me off star cluster missions forever). I'm still annoyed that she can't wear a Fed uniform. I've tried everything from TOS Klingon uniforms over winter cloaks to currently Omega armor. I'm wondering if the Voth lobi costume would be better, but I still hope that one day she'll be able to wear a Starfleet Academy uniform. So don't assume.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ferengi in KDF? No, please no...We KDF are a honorable bunch. Let those pesky creatures stay in Federation.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    However, Quark himself attempted to get into the Syndicate, it's reasonable to assume the Syndicate brought their assets with them as allies to the Empire, which could include Ferengi.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Want to try this dance again,or do you admit you were caught 'green handed'?

What dance?

You are dancing circles here.

You are doing nothing more but pretending to be smart and fighting hidden agendas.

Only makes you looking silly and self-entitled. But it's your choice.

Unless you are telepath in real life and can prove it, every post when you are insisting on your "theory" only makes you looking more silly.

I don't need Fed character to play Orion. I'm not even playing Federation, since this faction is plain boring for many reasons.

Curent faction choices are just making little sense for me because of lore reason.

But feel free to assume whatever you want. Or maybe you are writing this, becauuse it would be YOUR motivation for proposing any changes? Seems more like it.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Your Opening posts doesnt give any reasons why Orions need to be fedside availible. It merely gives your opinions on why you think they should be playable fedside.

With no interest in their Orion species traits and absolutely no STO storyline reasons why they are out of place on the KDF there is no reason why one can not just use the alien generator to make a green skinned human and play that instead of opening the Orions up to the feds based on one persons desires to play them fedside.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I can at least see Ferengi working as mercenaries for profit. Sure, fighting isn't their business, but they could provide ships and technology and a few officers. Like you said, it makes much more sense than KDF Trill or Starfleet Ferengi because of one on-screen reference (and if it's actually based on Curzon they went waaaaay over the top with that).
    Every race of warriors would be nothing, without a good solid logistics system backing them up, and who better to fill that role in the KDF empire (for a modest fee, of course) than the Ferengi?

-- Smoov
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really don't think playable Onions is what this game needs.
    On this, I am in complete agreement... I don't see the point at all in having a playable Onion, no matter which faction it ends up being in... just the thought of it makes me tear up... especially in meelee range... .. .

-- Smoov
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    Every race of warriors would be nothing, without a good solid logistics system backing them up, and who better to fill that role in the KDF empire (for a modest fee, of course) than the Ferengi?

-- Smoov

And conversely, even the Ferengi have to have soldiers or else somebody would have conquered them ages ago. Think about who their neighbors are: Cardassia and Breen, for starters.

The Planet of Hats always falls down when you analyze it more closely. Even the Klingons need accountants.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What dance?

You are dancing circles here.

You are doing nothing more but pretending to be smart and fighting hidden agendas.

Only makes you looking silly and self-entitled. But it's your choice.

Unless you are telepath in real life and can prove it, every post when you are insisting on your "theory" only makes you looking more silly.

I don't need Fed character to play Orion. I'm not even playing Federation, since this faction is plain boring for many reasons.

Curent faction choices are just making little sense for me because of lore reason.

But feel free to assume whatever you want. Or maybe you are writing this, becauuse it would be YOUR motivation for proposing any changes? Seems more like it.
    My Fed is basically abandoned since I've unlocked KDF faction. I'm not very interested in Federation as a whole.

No,you don't need a Fed character to play Orion,but apparently you do need an Orion to play a Fed character.
    There are only two things that make Orions unique in this game,the ground trait seduce,which has the same effect as the Vulcan mindmeld,and their clothing options....
    Oh God,the 'RP' defense....if you are going to RP you might as well go the extra quarter inch and RP a green skinned Human looking alien as an Orion.
    If you man up and said you wanted to ERP an Orion....I totally get it why you want the real deal.