What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion playable species for Federation?

Comments

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I really did not want to get into this thread but I felt a need to anyway.

Now before I get into Orions in Starfleet I want to cover Klingons. The Empire and the Federation have a long history of working together. The Dominion War, the rebuilding after Praxis, and Khitomer Accords, and many more. So there is a loose and I do mean loose "canon" reason for Klingons in Starfleet (Note I do not have a Klingon in Starfleet but I do think of myself as a friend of one of the finest officers of Starfleet that happens to be a Klingon.)

Now Orions. Based on the events of the TAS episode "The Pirates of Orion" the major Orion forces* lost their neutrality. So that one reason.

*Not sure if there is a government or it all is ran by the Syndicate.

Based on what is "canon" the only known Orions not openly working for the Syndicate are Orion Free Traders and the Orion Institute of Cosmology.

I kind of lost steam here so I will edit as I think up more stuffs, now where's my orion spiced rum?
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    I tried making an Alien into an Orion but it won't work simply as they don't have the suduce trait like my IKF Orion has.

Yeah, Telekinesis is the closest thing available. Sadly, the Pacification trait that Betazoid boffs have is unavailable to our Captains, which would give access to Threat Reduction and the fancy mental debuff. If you are aiming for overall gameplay, Vulcans a better option since they come with the Confuse/Placate resistance, Physical Strength, and add Psionic resistance and the Mental Discipline clicky power for both genders. They also have access to Mind Meld rather than Seduce, which appies both Confuse and Stun, at the cost of 7.5m range rather than Seduce's 10m range. Even with the loss of Treat Reduction, Vulcans are vastly superior from a gameplay standpoint.

Actually, can we get a buff for our Orion captains please?

Vulcans do lack the giggly-bit parity factor, though. Thus the skimpy outfit suggestion a few posters back (and quoted several posts afterward ;)), and the suggestions to add Deltans, Risians, swimsuits with the Summer Event, or the Pacification trait for Betazoid captains. I would consider adding Betazoid wedding attire a bit much, though.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    Actually, can we get a buff for our Orion captains please?
    I'd set with an option for taking male Orion traits for female Orions and vice versa. Frankly, I don't believe the game needs gender restricted traits. It's a shallow sexism. We're not living in XIX century and that part of ST canon should be ditched. :rolleyes:
    And male trait is far more useful.
    Especially for KDF with all this melee stuff.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd set with an option for taking male Orion traits for female Orions and vice versa. Frankly, I don't believe the game needs gender restricted traits. It's a shallow sexism. We're not living in XIX century and that part of ST canon should be ditched. :rolleyes:
    And male trait is far more useful.
    Especially for KDF with all this melee stuff.

So you think running forward and turning someone on the other side to attacking their comrades is not a good thing? This is a controller effect and fits certain play styles.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    So you think running forward and turning someone on the other side to attacking their comrades is not a good thing? This is a controller effect and fits certain play styles.

It shouldn't be gender restricted. Having two optional traits for Orion toon and then picking one regardless of gender would be much, much better. Or more convenient.
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd set with an option for taking male Orion traits for female Orions and vice versa. Frankly, I don't believe the game needs gender restricted traits.

but in star trek (the series) it works that way... Orionians are a race where female have the power thanks to specific gender "trait".

that's the way orion specie works
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Orions as a new Fed race might work out, Feds have been hurting for new content over the last couple of months.

(yeah that was sarcasm)

Let's see the KDF get parity with Fed content first, eh?
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eurialo wrote: »
    but in star trek (the series) it works that way... Orionians are a race where female have the power thanks to specific gender "trait".

that's the way orion specie works

Frankly, canon went through the window long time ago. Whoever loves canon so much might as well pick female traits for female Orion and vice versa - having such choice.
    The only kind of female Orions we see in series are slave girls. There is no mention that slave girls are 100% of their female population. Certainly it's not that way in STO where fair amount of KDF Orions are wearing warrior outfits.

This gender role division is something that was written long time ago, back in sixities. It the same series the most recognised female cast member was essentially a bridge bunny. It's hardly a modern outlook, it's very naive and to the some extent, sexist. It do not fit with XXI century, nor with amount of customisation offered by this game.

I doubt if many players on KDF side missed gender enforced trait selection for Orions, if it was lifted.

Lore is not a real reason to still have this limitation around, unless it simply can't be lifted for technical reasons.
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Orions as a new Fed race might work out, Feds have been hurting for new content over the last couple of months.

(yeah that was sarcasm)

As said in a previous post, imho orionians must be a kdf race only. First because each faction must have specific features and second because feds in sto have enough... much more than klingon and still much more than kdf and romulans together even if romulans were really a third faction. If we have a faction with everything you can find in another one, then we will not have any reason to play the others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    edited December 2013

(yeah that was sarcasm)

Parity first? So you think Orions can be in Star Fleet? :D

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This gender role division is something that was written long time ago, back in sixities. It the same series the most recognised female cast member was essentially a bridge bunny. It's hardly a modern outlook, it's very naive and to the some extent, sexist. It do not fit with XXI century, nor with amount of customisation offered by this game.

Funnily enough, we actually have ENT to thank for establishing that the "slaves" are really the ones in charge.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This is still a very cheap stereotype which shouldn't be enforced at all cost in a modern video game. ;)
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Let feds have their Green women and charge em' $20 for it. Everyone wins! :D
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Let feds have their Green women and charge em' $20 for it. Everyone wins! :D

I don't see why (if it happened at all) Cryptic wouldn't charge roughly what they charge now for Fed Klingons and Caitians. Minus the bikini "uniforms", of course.

It'd create a whole new demand for open uniforms, mirror uniforms, and the other peekaboo uniform options...
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I don't see why (if it happened at all) Cryptic wouldn't charge roughly what they charge now for Fed Klingons and Caitians. Minus the bikini "uniforms", of course.

It'd create a whole new demand for open uniforms, mirror uniforms, and the other peekaboo uniform options...

or they could knock out a second cstore uniform for the kdf. maybe even a uniform the typical orion would want to wear.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    or they could knock out a second cstore uniform for the kdf. maybe even a uniform the typical orion would want to wear.

Sure, that too.

Mind you, I am not the one lobbying for Fed Orions. I'm perfectly okay with them being a KDF exclusive.

But IF the decision is made to include them, then I think making them a premium C-Store race is better than just handing them out. They can use the extra money on making stuff for the KDF.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I did search for similar topics, but it's either that nobody asked before (very unlikely) or similar threads are long dead.

I'm primary KDF player. My main is KDF, my Rom is KDF allied. My Fed is basically abandoned since I've unlocked KDF faction. I'm not very interested in Federation as a whole.

But there is one thing I can't get behind. What is rationale for not having Orion playable species in the Federation?

Reading through Memory Alpha nad Beta, Orions are pretty much filling the same role as humans do in fantasy settings. Not a united species, no consolidated political stance, some are with the Syndicate, but some are not. Not to mention their home territory is deep inside Federation space.

We have green skinned NPC as civilian freighter crews and IIRC there are green skinned NPC wearing Fed uniforms as well.

I think it wouldn't be too much to add Orions as playable species for Federation. Maybe not with a "traditional" Orion attire unlocked, as it doesn't fit Federation very much, but with the same costume unlocks as rest of the Federation species?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Melani_D'ian
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    That's the weakest and the least believable part Cryptic ever made in their ST universe.

Along with Orions plain controlling Klingon Empire and nobody is having any problems with that.

Can't take it seriously.
    It all makes sense only if she's a telepath, and J'Mpok is an Undine.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    Parity first? So you think Orions can be in Star Fleet? :D

Well, according to the Star Trek tie-in novel writers and JJ Abrams yes they can.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That's the weakest and the least believable part Cryptic ever made in their ST universe.

Along with Orions plain controlling Klingon Empire and nobody is having any problems with that.

Can't take it seriously.
    It all makes sense only if she's a telepath, and J'Mpok is an Undine.

You asked for a reason, not a believable reason.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Well, according to the Star Trek tie-in novel writers and JJ Abrams yes they can.

Thank you. I just wanted to read one concession.

Now we just need to give the KDF access to humans and Vulcans so we can call it a trade. :D

• Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    JJ movies and Novels do not matter. The Orion are specifically written in STOs backstory as being allied to the Empire with no prior cannonical exceptions.

Orions are a KDF faction only choice. For RP purposes a green skinned Alien will have to satisfy those wanting Fed Orions.
    If the desire is just for Orion like costumes then push the Devs to create something similiar for the feds or as off duty wear.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    If the desire is just for Orion like costumes then push the Devs to create something similiar for the feds or as off duty wear.

So in the end, all of this blather was a "I want bikinis!" thread.

Typical. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The most amusing part in this thread were, actually, people assuming that it was about giving Federation bikinis. Even when it was stated more than once that they would be allowed only for Fed costume options.
    Typical. :D

Anyway, thread is more my rant at Cryptic inconsistent lore and writing. Or at faction divided species, the worst thing one could do in ST universe.

Books and comics may do not count as a hard canon, but they were licenced by CBS. Moreso, Cryptic did use some parts of this Orion background for the race. Let's not pretend this game is hard canon and respects canon soo much.

Not like Star Trek Online is a canon, you know. It's even less serious and more apocryphic than novels, comic books, and JJverse.
  • Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People - if you want a babe with a different skin colour just create an Andorian female character.
    Anyway, thread is more my rant at Cryptic inconsistent lore and writing. Or at faction divided species, the worst thing one could do in ST universe.

Books and comics may do not count as a hard canon, but they were licenced by CBS. Moreso, Cryptic did use some parts of this Orion background for the race.

Not like Star Trek Online is a canon, you know. It's even less serious and more apocryphic than novels, comic books, and JJverse.
    Guess what - STO is also a licensed product. And you're not the one to decide for all of us what is canon and what isn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jjumetley wrote: »
    Guess what - STO is also a licensed product. And you're not the one to decide for all of us what is canon and what isn't.

Of course it is a licenced product. I don't say it is not.

By the way, how many people in this thread decided which licenced products are canon, and which are not?

They are now to decide what is canon and what isn't? Why?

STO is not a more or less canon than any other licenced product. Including novels and comics. No more, no less. If other lincenced products are not canon, then STO is non-canon as well.

I'm afraid you missed my point here.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

Why the minus? It would make them craptons of money!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Why the minus? It would make them craptons of money!

Seriously they could make something like the orion clothing a lobi costume. A lot of people would buy them. Make the loin cloth and brassiere different than the basic orion clothing and even orion players would buy it.

Imagine Romulans in the leiakini? Or Klingons?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I just don't see what the big want for Fed' Orions are in the first place. There's plenty of races to choose from on both sides. Heck why not merge the KDF faction completely since the war's over anyway (what with all these STFs and joint operations going on)... Besides if we're going off 'canon' I don't remember seeing Orions as anything but their own faction in the shows, giving dances and selling slaves...
    IrwinSig-1.jpg