test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Tactics Career Path Really Worth It?

banegrivmbanegrivm Member Posts: 46 Arc User
Trying to figure this out. I really wanted to like Tactics but I feel like it's missing something and I wonder if it's just something I am missing. Is it worth taking over engineering or science really? If so why? I seem to have had my best luck on an engy but I'd really like to like the tactical path.
1st Fist of Light, Commander
Section 31
Global Handle: @Marshal_Valor

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,566 Arc User
    Tactical is my least favorite too. It does seem to be lacking something, but then again I prefer mage types in games and science is the STO equivalent of that, and to a lesser extent Engineering so it may just be a playstyle thing.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Tactical is my least favorite too. I also like mage-types, and I play science more than anything. Engi second.

So I guess it's personal preference.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Same. I enjoy Science career the most in STO, despite giving specialty ships to my Rom-Tac over my Rom-Sci just to have something different from Sci-Fed, and same goes for my KDF Tac over my KDF Sci since I enjoy BoP on KDF the most.

Tac is too much trying to deal more damage as if they don't ever have enough, along with some debuffs, and higher defenses/turn rates and some survivability.

Sci can boost damage, AoE debuff, AoE boost shields and dmg res, strip buffs, negate damage, and summon fleets to help you damage the stuff you prepared for them and your team. I really enjoy the strategic nature that offers a bit of everything both for yourself and for everyone around you.

Engi can somewhat boost shields (I believe the space ability is still broken/doing nothing), massively heal self, team heal hulls, and boost subsystem energy & EPS & overcaps. To me it feels lacking, though I don't really regret making a Reman-KDF engi just to be different from my usual Sci & Tacs, and at least has more variety than Tacs.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    Same. I enjoy Science career the most in STO, despite giving specialty ships to my Rom-Tac over my Rom-Sci just to have something different from Sci-Fed, and same goes for my KDF Tac over my KDF Sci since I enjoy BoP on KDF the most.

Tac is too much trying to deal more damage as if they don't ever have enough, along with some debuffs, and higher defenses/turn rates and some survivability.

Sci can boost damage, AoE debuff, AoE boost shields and dmg res, strip buffs, negate damage, and summon fleets to help you damage the stuff you prepared for them and your team. I really enjoy the strategic nature that offers a bit of everything both for yourself and for everyone around you.

Engi can somewhat boost shields (I believe the space ability is still broken/doing nothing), massively heal self, team heal hulls, and boost subsystem energy & EPS & overcaps. To me it feels lacking, though I don't really regret making a Reman-KDF engi just to be different from my usual Sci & Tacs, and at least has more variety than Tacs.

You mentioned Tac survivability, are you talking ground? I absolutely love my Engi. He does a ridiculous amount of damage on ground and space and he's got a ton of defenses. I never have a problem in space on that character and I never kick the bucket. The defenses on the engi are just too good.
    Section 31
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    All 3 professions are good.

Play whatever is most interesting to you.. you don't have to worry about making the 'wrong' decision.. they're all good.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

Play whatever is most interesting to you.. you don't have to worry about making the 'wrong' decision.. they're all good.

Explain to me how Tactics is good, because clearly I am doing something wrong. That wasn't me being smart mouthed, that was a genuine request for help. Just wanted to be clear because I know how text without a voice to go with it can be misinterpreted.
    Section 31
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    banegrivm wrote: »

Explain to me how Tactics is good, because clearly I am doing something wrong. That wasn't me being smart mouthed, that was a genuine request for help. Just wanted to be clear because I know how text without a voice to go with it can be misinterpreted.

Tactical profession has the highest damage potential of the 3 professions outside of a few really high end Science Builds.

The most 'efficient' route, is a Tactical Captain with consoles and traits that make up for any lack of survivability. Tactical is the most popular class but the others are good too.

I have no idea why you think Tactical isn't good, but many consider it to be the 'best' of the 3 professions. It's my personal favorite just because they can deal so much damage. Attack Pattern Alpha, Fire On My Mark, and Tactical Initiative are all useful powers.
  • Options
    Is there a way to reduce the 2 minute cooldown on those space skills? It's a bit crazy how long they are in a fight.
    Section 31
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Is there a way to reduce the 2 minute cooldown on those space skills? It's a bit crazy how long they are in a fight.

There are a few things, yes. Tactical Initiative lowers the recharge time, so do traits like Coordinated Targeting Solution, or a console like the Timeline Stabilizer.

Overall though, they have a longer recharge time then bridge officer powers for balance sake. These abilities are powerful and having them on a global would be servery over powered.
  • Options
    feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User

Tactical profession has the highest damage potential of the 3 professions outside of a few really high end Science Builds.

The most 'efficient' route, is a Tactical Captain with consoles and traits that make up for any lack of survivability. Tactical is the most popular class but the others are good too.

I have no idea why you think Tactical isn't good, but many consider it to be the 'best' of the 3 professions. It's my personal favorite just because they can deal so much damage. Attack Pattern Alpha, Fire On My Mark, and Tactical Initiative are all useful powers.

an epg build is better on a tac cpt, because you get all damage buffs. there is nothing on the sci cpt to compete with that. so everything related to "do damage", tac > eng/sci.
    that does not mean that eng/sci arent good enough to beat the game, its just that tac is slightly better (as long as you're using your abilities correctly, otherwise it doesnt matter any way)
  • Options
    felisean wrote: »

an epg build is better on a tac cpt, because you get all damage buffs. there is nothing on the sci cpt to compete with that. so everything related to "do damage", tac > eng/sci.
    that does not mean that eng/sci arent good enough to beat the game, its just that tac is slightly better (as long as you're using your abilities correctly, otherwise it doesnt matter any way)

Right.. thanks for clearing that up!

I always see 'Science Builds' pushing high DPS, but you're right.. they're usually Tacticals in EPG builds. :smile:
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Tactical is generally considered the strongest career path, because endgame content benefits strongly from a high damage output. You can kill enemies so quickly that they basically can't accumulate enough damage to overcome the plenty of non-class-specific healing sources available to you. Elite content might sometimes have place for "tanks" , though even those need some damage-dealing capability or they cannot catch the attention of NPCs.

Something like the Engineering's Miracle Worker healing ability might seem like nice emergency buttons, but you can actually get universal consoles that can accomplish the same, if not more.

Hence, I'd say the hierarchy is Tactical > Science > Engineering. Science abilities also has some damage buffs, but not as good as Tactical ones, though in exchange they also offer some survivability, possibly for the entire team, and they have a decent "anti-boss" ability (which isn't unfortunately required that often, but it is very influential in PvP).

On ground, however, I find Tacticals very boring. Science with its exothermic field fireballs or Engineering with its drones and turrets are more interesting. But your mileage may wary - they have access to damage-buffing or dealing abilities there, too, you're just more focused on getting the most out of your weapons.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

There are a few things, yes. Tactical Initiative lowers the recharge time, so do traits like Coordinated Targeting Solution, or a console like the Timeline Stabilizer.

Overall though, they have a longer recharge time then bridge officer powers for balance sake. These abilities are powerful and having them on a global would be servery over powered.

You forgot the ship traits that lower captain CD. All hands on deck is fantastic, especially for someone doing tac captain/science ship builds, but it is nice for any captain if you want to use their captain and sci powers more often. There is also 1.21 Terrawatts, but I can't fathom how that one is ever actually useful to slot.

As for tac captains themselves, they can put out a lot of damage, but are fairly boring otherwise, in my opinion. They are a one trick pony and I find myself not bothering with most vanilla tac captain ground abilities at all when building a tac captain. They will probably use nothing but universal kit powers in the end, maybe a couple reputation ones. In space they are unquestionably powerful but still boring in that they are all damage all the time.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    The thing about Tactical Captains is that they're the kings of spike damage. Their damage boosts are percentage based and the higher the base numbers you're working with, the more obscenely they scale when you're boosting by percent. On ground, they're got superior melee options and are excellent at locking enemies down with suppressing fire while using a good AoE weapon; they can also get their grenades to proc expose for AoE exploit damage multipliers. I highly suggest getting the Molt Captain Trait if you roll a Tac Captain, it will make up for their most glaring weakness(minimal self-sustain options).
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,864 Arc User
    on the ground my tac captain is the hardest to play in the defera zone. when you do the mission to rescue civilians from being asimilated, you go a grenade and your weapon. an engi has it made. lay a mine barrier and a bomb, they blow the mines then you finish them with the bomb. sci, you hit them with exothrmic and the cold bas one from QWW and you rarely have to fire your weapon.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    In a nutshell, damage capability (especially in space) is highly valued, both for the ability to attract threat and the ability to kill things. Tactical captains can do more damage. Thus, tactical captains tend to be preferred/valued.

So much of a build as you progress in the game becomes about things other than captain powers that the difference narrows a lot at the high end. I main an engineer, and my next most developed character is another engineer, followed by a scientist, but that's mostly due to preference.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    On the really end game, the tac gets an edge on the damage. Due to its self-buffs of cat2 damage and crth/crtd.
    On the really end game, the sci gets an edge in avoiding their shields and controlling them, so its far more damage friendly and less scaling on the gear, at least on the ground.
    On the really end game, the engi can be pretty much anything, but average, being really skill dependant. Like a generalist with great survivability built in.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    my 2 cents:

- I prefer tac for space fights -> damage
    - I prefer sci and eng for ground -> nothing is comparable with the fun that i can have on ground with this 2 careers: you can burn, freeze foes; you can make them ridiculous when they can't use their weapons, you can harass them with drones, turrets, you can imagine traps: mines + paradox bomb :p ; Sci captain can be very funny in space too.

If a skill like weapon malfunction/forgotten of the other skill which do the same thing were available for engineer in space, it would be awesome. not a 2.5% chance of something, but a clickable skill.

BUT, all the careers should be more differentiated; some skills should be only useable by each career, and not be universal.