test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion playable species for Federation?

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
edited December 2013 in Federation Discussion
I did search for similar topics, but it's either that nobody asked before (very unlikely) or similar threads are long dead.

I'm primary KDF player. My main is KDF, my Rom is KDF allied. My Fed is basically abandoned since I've unlocked KDF faction. I'm not very interested in Federation as a whole.

But there is one thing I can't get behind. What is rationale for not having Orion playable species in the Federation?

Reading through Memory Alpha nad Beta, Orions are pretty much filling the same role as humans do in fantasy settings. Not a united species, no consolidated political stance, some are with the Syndicate, but some are not. Not to mention their home territory is deep inside Federation space.

We have green skinned NPC as civilian freighter crews and IIRC there are green skinned NPC wearing Fed uniforms as well.

I think it wouldn't be too much to add Orions as playable species for Federation. Maybe not with a "traditional" Orion attire unlocked, as it doesn't fit Federation very much, but with the same costume unlocks as rest of the Federation species?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nymysys1nymysys1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is what the alien option is for (I have made a half Orion/half Deltan). That said, it is not like making Orions a playable race Fed side would take all that much development time, and they DO have Klingons already. If anything, it would be more likely for Orions to be Fed than the occasional Klingon.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love for them to do that, for no other reason then to see the forums explode when all the kdf fanatics start raging about another of their toys being given to the feds.:D

In all seriousness though, no I don't think orians should be fed playable. There are plenty of race options for feds as is, particularly compared the other two factions.

If you really want a fed orian, just do as nymysys1 says and mock one up with an alien.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The ruling klingon regime pretty much pressed any KDF species into service or made some shady deals will illegal paramilitary forces. Would be just logical to have righteous members of all those species to join the Federations undertake to bring peace, freedom and independence to their enslaved people.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The ruling klingon regime pretty much pressed any KDF species into service or made some shady deals will illegal paramilitary forces. Would be just logical to have righteous members of all those species to join the Federations undertake to bring peace, freedom and independence to their enslaved people.

In STO, the Orions actually control the Empire, not the other way around :D

Though I agree. The Orions are far from being a unified people and should be faction "neutral". Trill are available to both factions for some reason, Orions would be way more plausible. Ferengi should also be available for both as well as a bunch of others.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    KDF never pushed any Orions into their service. The Orion Syndicate willingly joined them.

Point is, the Syndicate does not constitute for all Orion species and it looks just strange.

I certainly do not want playing any new Fed toon. But I think that Orions should be faction neutral just for the sake of ST universe.
  • Options
    corethlcorethl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, is it really that difficult to create a green skinned humanoid in the alien generator? Are the racial traits for the KDF Orions really so awesome that they must be ported over to the Federation side?

It's certainly a lot easier for Starfleet to create an Orion character than it is for the KDF to create an Andorian (or, if you want to look at "faction neutral", the Ferengi).

(The Andorian might be just as possible as the Fed Orion; I don't have the game up in front of me...)
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH...... :P :D

Oh you guys are just killing me these days... :D:D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Trill are available to both factions for some reason, ...

I file that as a brain bug. Curzon Dax was in good with the Klingons, therefore there must be lots of other Trill who were in good with the Klingons.

If Feds get greenskins (possibly as a C-Store unlock only), the Klinks should get another exclusive playable species. Maybe one of their allied Gamma Quadrant species like the Dosi or something. And I agree that Ferengi should probably be cross-faction.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    I file that as a brain bug. Curzon Dax was in good with the Klingons, therefore there must be lots of other Trill who were in good with the Klingons.

Actually Stormy once explained it was because the offer back then stipulated Joined Trill but didn't include a specification for which faction thus they were obligated to add Joined Trill to the KDF.
    So it's not that much of a brain bug but a matter of RL obligations getting into the way.:)

Personally I'd have preferred an identical stat substitute like "Augmented Klingons" with the same traits just renamed.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love for them to do that, for no other reason then to see the forums explode when all the kdf fanatics start raging about another of their toys being given to the feds.:D

In all seriousness though, no I don't think orians should be fed playable. There are plenty of race options for feds as is, particularly compared the other two factions.

If you really want a fed orian, just do as nymysys1 says and mock one up with an alien.

Would it be fair to point out that Orion Starfleet officers are actually kind of canon and Orion KDF officers aren't.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Would it be fair to point out that Orion Starfleet officers are actually kind of canon and Orion KDF officers aren't.

Canon in what way? Because JJ Trek is in an alternate universe.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Canon in what way? Because JJ Trek is in an alternate universe.

This. I double-checked Mem Alpha and all the prime universe Orion characters are Syndicate-affiliated. However, that doesn't make it impossible: the homeworld is in Federation space, though it isn't a Federation member, and the EU has at least one female Orion who's a scientist in Starfleet (I believe in William Shatner's The Return).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What...no more gear to take from the KDF so you need to steal their only good race that isn't Gnarly alien?
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Would it be fair to point out that Orion Starfleet officers are actually kind of canon

JJ-Trek doesn't count here.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This. I double-checked Mem Alpha and all the prime universe Orion characters are Syndicate-affiliated. However, that doesn't make it impossible: the homeworld is in Federation space, though it isn't a Federation member, and the EU has at least one female Orion who's a scientist in Starfleet (I believe in William Shatner's The Return).

Shatner...yikes that's a tricky one. Even the non-canon books treat Shatner's stuff as non-canon..to themselves...ummm I think that's how I can phrase it.;)

As always in such matters it is certainly possible for Orions to be in Starfleet but then that logic applies to every race in the (currently visible and visitable) STO universe.:)
  • Options
    masternecromanmasternecroman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Pray tell what race except the Klingons could you call close to righteous?

Gorn are a warlike conquering race.

Nausicaans are pirates and mercenaries.

Ferasan (Ksindi) are a stereotypical evil race.

Orions are Criminals, Slave traders and space age Cuckoo birds.

and Letheans are the best torturers.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    In STO, the Orions actually control the Empire, not the other way around :D

Though I agree. The Orions are far from being a unified people and should be faction "neutral". Trill are available to both factions for some reason, Orions would be way more plausible. Ferengi should also be available for both as well as a bunch of others.

I'm guessing they added the Trill because of the Curzon references. But Ferengi? Can you imagine Ferengi in the Empire? They put them in the Feds just because of Nog and that was stretching it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

If Feds get greenskins (possibly as a C-Store unlock only), the Klinks should get another exclusive playable species. Maybe one of their allied Gamma Quadrant species like the Dosi or something. And I agree that Ferengi should probably be cross-faction.

That's an interesting site :D

Judging by that, STO is a single, huge, juicy brain bug sucking quite some heads dry... :D
    I'm guessing they added the Trill because of the Curzon references. But Ferengi? Can you imagine Ferengi in the Empire? They put them in the Feds just because of Nog and that was stretching it.

I can at least see Ferengi working as mercenaries for profit. Sure, fighting isn't their business, but they could provide ships and technology and a few officers. Like you said, it makes much more sense than KDF Trill or Starfleet Ferengi because of one on-screen reference (and if it's actually based on Curzon they went waaaaay over the top with that).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, Ferengi in Klingon Empire are tricky.

After DS9 episodes with Grilka it's not unbelievable to see Klingons being open-minded enough to accept Ferengi ship captain.
    But most sane Ferengi would rather keep themselves away from Klingon society, unless somehow forced to live with Klingons.
    Quark was quite and adventurer, by Ferengi standards.

Not like Ferengi are not able ship captains and marauders, but they don't really like to fight when they don't have to.

Orions, on the other hand, have long tradition of piracy and privateering. Living by the sword is nothing unusual for them.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I did search for similar topics, but it's either that nobody asked before (very unlikely) or similar threads are long dead.

I'm primary KDF player. My main is KDF, my Rom is KDF allied. My Fed is basically abandoned since I've unlocked KDF faction. I'm not very interested in Federation as a whole.

But there is one thing I can't get behind. What is rationale for not having Orion playable species in the Federation?

Reading through Memory Alpha nad Beta, Orions are pretty much filling the same role as humans do in fantasy settings. Not a united species, no consolidated political stance, some are with the Syndicate, but some are not. Not to mention their home territory is deep inside Federation space.

We have green skinned NPC as civilian freighter crews and IIRC there are green skinned NPC wearing Fed uniforms as well.

I think it wouldn't be too much to add Orions as playable species for Federation. Maybe not with a "traditional" Orion attire unlocked, as it doesn't fit Federation very much, but with the same costume unlocks as rest of the Federation species?

Fine,Feds can have Orions.....but you are not going to get the sexy,skin tight,revealing Orion outfits.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    The main issue with Ferengi is they are "honorless" as would not fit in the KDF, yes we had the House of Quark but keep in mind HOW that episode how Klingon attitudes towards Ferengi, even Ferengi marauders would likely not feel exactly comfortable in the KDF.

Not everyone in the KDF is a Klingon, and most of them are "honorless" by that definition. The Letheans and Nausicaans are in it for the money, the Orion Syndicate is a Klingon ally by treaty, and the Gorn didn't have a choice in the matter. And no matter how much they insist on being proud, honorable warriors, 90% of Klingons (from the shows, mind) are little better than drunken thugs. It's really rather frightening to think that the Klingon who most lives up to their ideals, Worf, son of Mogh, fought for the Federation for most of his adult life.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Not everyone in the KDF is a Klingon, and most of them are "honorless" by that definition. The Letheans and Nausicaans are in it for the money, the Orion Syndicate is a Klingon ally by treaty, and the Gorn didn't have a choice in the matter. And no matter how much they insist on being proud, honorable warriors, 90% of Klingons (from the shows, mind) are little better than drunken thugs. It's really rather frightening to think that the Klingon who most lives up to their ideals, Worf, son of Mogh, fought for the Federation for most of his adult life.

True. This is also where the "Red Federation" of STO falls apart. It just doesn't make sense. Aside from the fact that every player character regardless of chosen race is supposed to act and be referred to as "klingon", I can't see the Klingon Empire letting aliens "take over" their homeworld, technology and secrets like that.

The Gorn have been conquered and forced into vassalage. I have no problems with that, though I just want to add that someone previously described Gorn as aggressive and bent on conquest. They are actually quite the opposite. Gorn are, from the few things we know (I just rewatched TOS: Arena) not that much different from the Federation. Different, perhaps more xenophobic but they don't seem overly aggressive or expansionist to me.

Nausicaans and Letheans are mercenaries, plain and simple. The Empire is short on troops and hires them. Works for me, although they shouldn't "merge" with the Klingons like the game depicts it.

The Orions however, I don't get at all how they ended up as a KDF faction. Well, aside from offering "sexy" characters for the red side to get some people play them (Basically STOs "Blood Elves"). I don't think Klingons would deal with them to the point of openly letting all the great hauses be controlled by Orions. Even if the ruling house is full of morons (which it is) that would certainly lead to civil war.

But it doesn't matter since each and every people and faction in STO is depicted as being total morons and thugs. I certainly wouldn't mind KDF Ferengi and Fed Orions... :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its not your grandfathers KDF anymore. For game purposes the Klingon Empire has allied with and made vassals of like minded races to increase their powerbase.
    Thats why we have Gorn, Orion, leatheans and etc as player race choices for the KDF.

Under the PT2409 the Orions allied with the KDF for protection from the federation attempting to police Orion syndicate activity. Melanie is very closed fisted on her control of the Orion peoples and that is two reasons why the race is unavailible to the feds.

As far as I know only one Orion has ever been shown in Starfleet thanks to the JJ movie.

Otherwise make a Alien greenskinned template to cover the option.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Maybe a species swap. Feds get buyable Orions, but in exchange KDF gets buyable Mirror Humans that come with Leadership and some kind of evil counterpart to Teamwork.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Maybe a species swap. Feds get buyable Orions, but in exchange KDF gets buyable Mirror Humans that come with Leadership and some kind of evil counterpart to Teamwork.
    That could work.
    I see as many humans made on alien template in KDF, as Orions made on alien template on Federation side.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The last thing we need is butt-TRIBBLE naked Orions running around ESD.

But, this game's already crazy enough as it is. What's the point... :P
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    hypl wrote: »

We already have butt-TRIBBLE naked Feds running around in TOS Mirror uniforms. Not sure it would really change anything on that score.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    hypl wrote: »

Nobody said getting the orion outfits. It would be reasonable to assume as a Fed officer they would have the same outfits as other feds. Maybe the pauldrons or collar as a racial item like fed klingons get a sash.

But then again maybe ESD does need that so the pervs quit trying to look up skirts.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Nobody said getting the orion outfits. It would be reasonable to assume as a Fed officer they would have the same outfits as other feds. Maybe the pauldrons or collar as a racial item like fed klingons get a sash.

^This.

All Orions wearing this kind of outfit in shows and comic books were Sindicate-aligned. Save for this one illusionary slave girl in TOS.

It would be logical for Federation-aligned Orions to have the same clothing options like the rest of Fed species, save for maybe one or two racial details, like collar or pauldrons. Or head attachments.