What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion playable species for Federation?

Comments

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    If you man up and said you wanted to ERP an Orion....I totally get it why you want the real deal.

You are defeating yourself more and more with every post, Mr self-appointed Professor Xavier. :P

Your telepathy training is lacking. Or it's a self-delusion? :D

Either way, you are more silly. Please, continue. It's a good show.

If you really think that RP is necessary to care about lore, or propositions may be made only for personal agendas, then it shows your seriously limited way of thinking. Nothing to be proud of, though.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You are defeating yourself more and more with every post, Mr self-appointed Professor Xavier. :P

Your telepathy training is lacking. Or it's a self-delusion? :D

Either way, you are more silly. Please, continue. It's a good show.

If you really think that RP is necessary to care about lore, or propositions may be made only for personal agendas, then it shows your seriously limited way of thinking. Nothing to be proud of, though.

Your attempt to redirect attention away from the real question regarding your 'interest' in playable Orions on the Fed side will not work.You still haven't provided a satisfactory answer as to why you want Orions on the Fed side.

You accuse me of using 'mind tricks',but you are the one acting like a illusionist here: "don't mind the trapdoor,just look at the fluffy bunny".
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Your attempt to redirect attention away from the real question regarding your 'interest' in playable Orions on the Fed side will not work.You still haven't provided a satisfactory answer as to why you want Orions on the Fed side.

You accuse me of using 'mind tricks',but you are the one acting like a illusionist here: "don't mind the trapdoor,just look at the fluffy bunny".

I've gave you and answer. It's even in first post of this topic.

Considering what was written about Orions in licensed products, including comic books and RP manuals (though how valid these sources are is disputable) they have, as a whole species, little sense being hard set into any existing faction.

Whether you find this reason valid or not, it's your private problem/opinion.

You're the one playing tricks here.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    notapwefan wrote: »
    Ferengi in KDF? No, please no...We KDF are a honorable bunch. Let those pesky creatures stay in Federation.

See previous comment on how the average TV canon Klingon is no more "honorable" than the Ferengi. They use their "proud warrior" yadda yadda as an excuse for violent asshattery. In fact, I'd venture to say that in a way the Ferengi are more honorable than the Klingons because they make no pretensions about what they really are.

And again, not everyone in the KDF is a Klingon. The Letheans and Nausicaans are mercs, the Orions are allied by treaty, and the Gorn were forcibly subjugated.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've gave you and answer. It's even in first post of this topic.

Considering what was written about Orions in licensed products, including comic books and RP manuals (though how valid these sources are is disputable) they have, as a whole species, little sense being hard set into any existing faction.

Whether you find this reason valid or not, it's your private problem/opinion.

You're the one playing tricks here.

Your reasoning for having Orions in the Federation: 'Well,they shouldn't be with the KDF in the first place,so they should be with the Feds as well' makes no sense whatsoever.

And you are still avoiding the questions about why you are so hellbent on getting playable Federation Orions...
    I don't need Fed character to play Orion. I'm not even playing Federation, since this faction is plain boring for many reasons.

Why do you want something that you are not going to use anyway?
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    And conversely, even the Ferengi have to have soldiers or else somebody would have conquered them ages ago. Think about who their neighbors are: Cardassia and Breen, for starters.

The Planet of Hats always falls down when you analyze it more closely. Even the Klingons need accountants.
    The current KDF has a race that is very capable in trading and economic.... Orions. They're pretty much the sneakiest most cutthroat traders this side of Ferenginar....

That being said, TNG had a few examples of Klingon scientists, and they actually came out reasonably well.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If licensed materials are now the basis for valid factional needs, the the Klingons, Gorn, etc of the KDF are in need of many many updates.

Of course such licensed materials are not valid and the arguement based off them is not either.

Create a green skinned human for your Orion fed becuase your "points" are as invalid as tour evidence on why the fedfaction needs Orions.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    See previous comment on how the average TV canon Klingon is no more "honorable" than the Ferengi. They use their "proud warrior" yadda yadda as an excuse for violent asshattery. In fact, I'd venture to say that in a way the Ferengi are more honorable than the Klingons because they make no pretensions about what they really are.

And again, not everyone in the KDF is a Klingon. The Letheans and Nausicaans are mercs, the Orions are allied by treaty, and the Gorn were forcibly subjugated.

No one is honorable in ST. The actions of every character in the IP has been flawed more than once.
    Your vaunted Humans and UFP are just as flawed as the klingons.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    No one is honorable in ST. The actions of every character in the IP has been flawed more than once.
    Your vaunted Humans and UFP are just as flawed as the klingons.

Never said they weren't. That's one of the things I love about DS9 in particular: it was generally self-aware enough to admit to it (see Sisko's monologue in "The Maquis, Part II" in particular).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd vote to please keep the Orion females (because we all know that's what people are really asking for), KDF only. It bugs me enough that they've infested every level of the KDF, no need to inflict that plague on the rest of the game.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to say I'm not terribly fond of the idea, but then, Gaila and the other, unnamed Orion woman in JJ Abrams' re-envisioning (to say nothing of Marta in "Whom Gods Destroy" being an inmate in a Federation-operated facility), so I suppose I could get used to it easily enough.

BUT

if it happens, then Romulans ought to get Vulcan defectors as a playable race within the Romulan Republic Forces also, Vulcans who have rejected the sterility of Surak's puritanical overreaction to the potential adverse results of emotion, and embrace their ancestral state of non-suppressed emotion.

And then, to be fair, the KDF should get some currently Federation-restricted race as well.
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd vote to please keep the Orion females (because we all know that's what people are really asking for), KDF only. It bugs me enough that they've infested every level of the KDF, no need to inflict that plague on the rest of the game.

Sexist much? sheesh :mad: I personally vote yes for Fed Orions because come on...Orions don't really fit with KDF IMO more a neutral faction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Why do you want something that you are not going to use anyway?

I'd say it was suggested for the sake of universe integrity. But then, I may be wrong anyway.
    There is much more wrong with STO lore than only having some species faction locked. The whole faction system and politics to begin with.
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    If licensed materials are now the basis for valid factional needs, the the Klingons, Gorn, etc of the KDF are in need of many many updates.

Of course such licensed materials are not valid and the arguement based off them is not either.

Those were still licenced by CBS. And no matter this discussion or not, I'm not buying Cryptic's writing stating that one person can order moving the whole species to the another planet and everyone obeys it.
    It sounds as apocryphic, as other licenced sources.

Actually, it sounds even worse.
    It sounds like lazy design made to shoehorn species into WoW-like factions. But then, I may be wrong because it't not a problem with Orions, but with KDF as a whole, starting from Gorn.

They're red-painted Federation, not a real KDF.
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dom1941 wrote: »
    Sexist much? sheesh :mad: I personally vote yes for Fed Orions because come on...Orions don't really fit with KDF IMO more a neutral faction

I agree. I also believe that while the Syndicate is part of the Empire, Melani D'ian is biding her time and using her people as a way to take over the Empire and flip the tables on the other powers in the KDF. Not to mention the possible various pirate groups and rebels that fight for the independence of the Orion people.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dom1941 wrote: »
    But Orions would fit in perfectly with the PC Federation?

With only those two options, I could definitely see Orions picking the KDF every time.

-- Smoov
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nah we don't need Orions in the Fed side. Its the only good thing the KDF has. ;)
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There could be a cartel still around harrasing Klingons and Gorn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is there anything the KDF has Feds won't try to steal?:rolleyes:
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    D'ktags. Why not? Ushaan-tor are obviously superior. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    D'ktags. Why not? Ushaan-tor are obviously superior. :P

IYou know if if D'ktags were in game Feds would be asking for them too, lol.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    lol, you're probably right. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Feds don't steal... they diversify...

-- Smoov
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think they should put orions in the federation and ferengi in the kdf.
    Also the romulan republic. These are two very diverse ununified peoples. Putting them as free in KDF and C-store in fed and RR makes them universal. Just like you can pay to play a Klingon captain in the federation. But only one small piece of costuming. Probably the head wear. This fits in nicely with the bajoran and ferengi limits to federation uniforms.
    Then for balance make Vulcans a c-store for romulans and betazoids c-store for Klingons.
    More racial options will help all of the factions. by making them c-store purchases you keep the majority flavor to the factions and generate money for the company.

Looks like a low effort / middle to high payoff effect.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so take perhaps the most popular kdf race and give it to feddies in exchange for a race people rarely use.
    sounds pretty familiar hey
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    I think they should put orions in the federation and ferengi in the kdf.
    Also the romulan republic. These are two very diverse ununified peoples. Putting them as free in KDF and C-store in fed and RR makes them universal. Just like you can pay to play a Klingon captain in the federation. But only one small piece of costuming. Probably the head wear. This fits in nicely with the bajoran and ferengi limits to federation uniforms.
    Then for balance make Vulcans a c-store for romulans and betazoids c-store for Klingons.
    More racial options will help all of the factions. by making them c-store purchases you keep the majority flavor to the factions and generate money for the company.

Looks like a low effort / middle to high payoff effect.

Lets see, Federation gets pirates and raiders while KDF gets....KDF gets....KDF gets...umm...tiny, weak, and pathetic money grubbing little worms? Yeah sounds so fair :rolleyes:

Why would anyone pay zen for Vulcans for RR or Betazoids for KDF? I just sounds like you're naming random races to make it look like you're giving other factions something while you're taking away the best race the KDF has to offer (Seeing as klingons are playable Fed side)

But you're just handing the pointy ears faction another pointy ears and you're handing the KDF a human without the leadership trait.
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »

No. They want it allllll.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Comparing the development cycle for Starfleet versus KDF ships, the actual number of ships and small craft available, the number of KDF ships eligible for a Fleet Ship Module discount, the number of costume unlocks, the number of playable species... yeah, the Federation NEEDS Orions badly, along with Orion costumes, carrier pets, and FDC's of course. :P

In all seriousness, though, I'm happy with Vulcans for the Federation. They come with access to Nerve Pinch and Mind Meld rather than Seduce, both genders come with Physical Strength, and the Logical trait gives nice resistances to mental status effects. Or did you just want naked green chicks in loincloths for the Federation? You perv! :eek:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    once they have the orions they will obviously require the orion ships- interceptors and slaver pets included!