What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion playable species for Federation?

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the Diplomat BOFFs would be good enough when(if? <.<) they get to wear Fed uniforms.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Lets see, Federation gets pirates and raiders while KDF gets....KDF gets....KDF gets...umm...tiny, weak, and pathetic money grubbing little worms? Yeah sounds so fair :rolleyes:

Why would anyone pay zen for Vulcans for RR or Betazoids for KDF? I just sounds like you're naming random races to make it look like you're giving other factions something while you're taking away the best race the KDF has to offer (Seeing as klingons are playable Fed side)

But you're just handing the pointy ears faction another pointy ears and you're handing the KDF a human without the leadership trait.

Actually, pretty much. Yes.
    My suggestion is based on how the orions are portrayed as well as the ferengi. An attempt to spread the interest across lines is the basic reasoning for the suggestion. I am not sold on including any additional races to the RR. Their tutorial is pretty concrete as being pretty much romulans. So any add on races are dubious with them. Someone suggested Vulcan immigrants and it is doable. barely going to see a difference, but doable. Ferengi with their long standing society recently turned on it's head (females not being chattel?) Are exploring many new avenues. And there are ferengi on qo'nos. Look in the bank. Yes I know big difference between a banker and a warrior, I am noting they are in all of the faction regions already. Why do they only serve in star fleet? Maybe making them a pay to play race is not proper as they do not bring much to the table. But they do belong in all of the factions.
    Orions to be in another faction however need two things. Limited wardrobe, IE no skimpiness for fed and RR. They wear faction uniforms with just one minor piece so you know they are orions. And probably a higher price tag than the other purchasable races. In fairness though KDF needs a race available to them that others can't get or that they desire out of the fed side.
    And this is an interesting to me question. When I got the DS9 bundle, you get to play a bajoran, bajoran uniforms, (And vedek robes) bajoran pistol and rifle, and a doff pack. It unlocks getting the weapons and doff pack for the Klingons as well. Why can't this give bajorans and their clothes to Klingons?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    [...]
    In fairness though KDF needs a race available to them that others can't get or that they desire out of the fed side.
    [...]

Sorry to pick this little bit out of your entire post, hope you don't mind.
    Augmented Klingons would be good.:)
    Give 'em Leadership since they're "augmented" with human-based DNA and Khan was certainly a good leader (a bit on the insane side but no more than most Starfleet captains including Janeway and Archer) who managed to keep his people together in the face of certain doom...twice.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Sorry to pick this little bit out of your entire post, hope you don't mind.
    Augmented Klingons would be good.:)
    Give 'em Leadership since they're "augmented" with human-based DNA and Khan was certainly a good leader (a bit on the insane side but no more than most Starfleet captains including Janeway and Archer) who managed to keep his people together in the face of certain doom...twice.

And B'vat's pet mad scientist did augment a number of Klingons whether they liked it or not.

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually, pretty much. Yes.
    My suggestion is based on how the orions are portrayed as well as the ferengi. An attempt to spread the interest across lines is the basic reasoning for the suggestion. I am not sold on including any additional races to the RR. Their tutorial is pretty concrete as being pretty much romulans. So any add on races are dubious with them. Someone suggested Vulcan immigrants and it is doable. barely going to see a difference, but doable. Ferengi with their long standing society recently turned on it's head (females not being chattel?) Are exploring many new avenues. And there are ferengi on qo'nos. Look in the bank. Yes I know big difference between a banker and a warrior, I am noting they are in all of the faction regions already. Why do they only serve in star fleet? Maybe making them a pay to play race is not proper as they do not bring much to the table. But they do belong in all of the factions.
    Orions to be in another faction however need two things. Limited wardrobe, IE no skimpiness for fed and RR. They wear faction uniforms with just one minor piece so you know they are orions. And probably a higher price tag than the other purchasable races. In fairness though KDF needs a race available to them that others can't get or that they desire out of the fed side.
    And this is an interesting to me question. When I got the DS9 bundle, you get to play a bajoran, bajoran uniforms, (And vedek robes) bajoran pistol and rifle, and a doff pack. It unlocks getting the weapons and doff pack for the Klingons as well. Why can't this give bajorans and their clothes to Klingons?

If you're not after the Orion's revealing attire then why do you even need them? You can easily make one with the alien creator and you have a variety of traits and even the bonus trait slot.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    If you're not after the Orion's revealing attire then why do you even need them? You can easily make one with the alien creator and you have a variety of traits and even the bonus trait slot.

This line of questioning is annoying and let me explain why.
    Why do you select Klingons when playing KDF? You can look exactly like them using the alien generator. Or Andorians for the federation. Even humans could be made with the alien generator, so why have a special race for them?
    Crytic answered that by having major races be grouped by the race name, and lumping all others under 'alien' and further by creating race specific abilities that are not available for the alien creator.
    So why have an orion? To actually have an orion, not a random green painted guy/girl.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Why do you select Klingons when playing KDF? You can look exactly like them using the alien generator. Or Andorians for the federation. Even humans could be made with the alien generator, so why have a special race for them?
    Crytic answered that by having major races be grouped by the race name, and lumping all others under 'alien' and further by creating race specific abilities that are not available for the alien creator.
    So why have an orion? To actually have an orion, not a random green painted guy/girl.

But the Orion traits are really kinda meh as opposed to where the Klingon racial is pretty damn good...
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2013

Klingon
    Species trait: Ground Trait. An upgrade to Soldier, this trait increases ranged weapon damage, physical melee damage and crit damage.
    +15% Physical Damage
    +5 All Damage Resistance Rating
    +5% All Energy Damage
    +15% Critical Severity
    +10% Threat Generation
    Only affects certain things

Andorian
    Species trait: Andorians are known for their passion in combat and their acute perception of their surroundings. As Andorians take damage, they gain a bonus to their own outgoing damage based on how much health they are missing. Their acute senses allow them to sense stealthed opponents, deal more damage with Exploit attacks, and reduce the amount of damage they take from flanking.

On Ground: +Bonus damage for each point of missing health. This bonus increases greatly as your health nears zero.
    On Ground: +10 Perception
    +10% Exploit Damage
    +25% Resistance to Flanking damage

Human
    Species trait: Humans are inspirational leaders and work exceptionally well with others. Their Leadership inspires their comrades to work harder and faster than they otherwise could, and their Teamwork allows them to exploit combat opportunities created by teammates to great effect.

Increases Subsystem Repair and Hull Regen Rate in Space
    Increases team exploit damage on Ground

Orion
    Species female trait: Ground Trait. Makes you more resistant to the effects of confuse and placate while reducing your threat generation in combat - you are less threatening, so enemies are less likely to attack you. Confuse can cause you to attack your allies, while Placate can cause you to not see the target that placated you. This trait reduces the duration of those effects.

+20 Confuse Resistance Rating
    -9.1% Threat Generation
    +20 Placate Resistance Rating

Species male trait: Ground Trait. Improves the physical damage of melee attacks, and gives all melee attacks a chance to knock down your target.

+15% Physical Damage
    15% chance: to target: Knocks back +0.66 meters
    Only affects certain things

Alien
    Species trait: Your created species has enhanced flexibility in trait selection. You do not have any required traits - instead, you gain one additional choice of traits.

+1 Additional Trait Choice

Comparing the races you mentioned most people who play Orions myself included don't do it for the junk racial trait but for the unique clothing options.
    feiqa wrote:

Player races, personally I don't see any federation race other than perhaps Andorians that I would maybe want playable KDF side.

So it boils down too is you really want the Orion racial trait confuse/placate resist ability with only "Limited Wardrobe" options?

Mmmm I don't think so :P since if that is truly the case you could simple roll a:

Vulcan
    Species trait: Known for their logical minds and stoicism, Vulcans have extreme mental discipline and exceptional physical strength behind their veneer of implacability. Vulcans' force of will provides them with resistance to Psionic damage and any Placate or Confuse effects, while their physical strength increases their melee damage and gives their melee attacks a chance to knock down their foes.

On Ground: Click "Mental Discipline" to free yourself from Hold effects. Bonus resistance to Psionic, Placate, and Confuse.
    On Ground: 0.15 bonus to Melee damage.
    15% chance to knock down the target of your melee attacks.

Which has much better racial traits minus the skimpy clothing options but can always run the Fedkini - MU Tank top with the TOS nurse skirt. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Comparing the races you mentioned most people who play Orions myself included don't do it for the junk racial trait but for the unique clothing options.

Player races, personally I don't see any federation race other than perhaps Andorians that I would maybe want playable KDF side.

So it boils down too is you really want the Orion racial trait confuse/placate resist ability with only "Limited Wardrobe" options?

Actually, yes. Yes I do. So that it is an Orion that I am running. Not generic green skin number thirty-seven.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Actually, yes. Yes I do. So that it is an Orion that I am running. Not generic green skin number thirty-seven.

So all you care about is a little spot in your character profile that almost no one looks at? Seems kinda wasteful to be honest...
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Then play the KDF faction.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited November 2013

If that is the case why not just roll a KDF Orion for the full Orion experience?

Instead of petitioning the Devs to give the Fed playbase something that is uniquely KDF at present.

marc8219 wrote: »
    Is there anything the KDF has Feds won't try to steal?:rolleyes:
    smoovious wrote: »
    Feds don't steal... they diversify...

-- Smoov

Technically the Fed only players don't steal, they just make constant posts about wanting things the other faction has until the Devs decide it might make them a few extra bucks and then they add it to a lockbox. Then later they wonder why their Metrics show a majority don't play a KDF character, when the answer is simple all the majority faction has to do is wait and they will eventually get their KDF exclusive items in a shiny lockbox without spending any time designing clothing options (for example) or other uniquely KDF only items to interest players in spending money on the only other Full faction in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    If that is the case why not just roll a KDF Orion for the full Orion experience?

I have three, thank you. And a joined trill as well. The discussion is about allowing a race be playable for another faction, not to jump to a previous one or just use the alien creator. Honestly I said I want the orion stats if I rolled one for federation and not a random scattering of the same traits as every other 'alien' created.
    I do not understand why that is hard to understand.

• Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about some Orions join starfleet and plant themselves in high positions to take over the federation, kill all the males and force the federation females into slavery by selling them at auction. meanwhile, KDF would never have to fire a single shot :)

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tfomega wrote: »
    How about some Orions join starfleet and plant themselves in high positions to take over the federation, kill all the males and force the federation females into slavery by selling them at auction. meanwhile, KDF would never have to fire a single shot :)

I thought that is what we are doing in the KDF?

Did I say that out loud? :P

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My Orion is a male, who wears body armor, and is as close as I could make him to blue. Why? It's canon that not all Orions are green. :P And yes, he does own in melee. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have three, thank you. And a joined trill as well. The discussion is about allowing a race be playable for another faction, not to jump to a previous one or just use the alien creator. Honestly I said I want the orion stats if I rolled one for federation and not a random scattering of the same traits as every other 'alien' created.
    I do not understand why that is hard to understand.
    Alright, look... here's the simple answer...

You can't have an Orion captain because the Orions are not a signed member of the United Federation of Planets.

If Orions were a member of the UFP, that would preclude them being allied to the KDF.

Since the Orions aren't members, they won't captain a ship.

Worf, being a special case as he was adopted and raised by UFP citizens, so Worf was a UFP citizen himself. You may have the odd Orion similarly raised somewhere in the UFP, but these exceptions are so very rare, that they won't be accommodated for as a playable race.

'Nuff said.

The UFP has plenty, and has ripped off enough content from the other factions. They don't need anymore, nor should they get any more, and some of the stuff they are currently getting, should have the spigot shut off, and have the balance returned to where it should be.

If you want to play one of the KDF races? Then join the KDF.

-- Smoov
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Actually... didn't the Orions kinda get kicked out of the UFP during Kirk's time?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Actually... didn't the Orions kinda get kicked out of the UFP during Kirk's time?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Orion

Apparently not

"Prior to 2270, the Orions had carefully maintained an air of neutrality, especially while operating in and around Federation space. This, however, has proven to be more of a guise than a reality, and was often used as an effort to cover their usually shady operations. Nevertheless, Orion's official position of neutrality comes before ship and crew, as all unsuccessful Orion missions end in suicide. Orions would keep that rationale in good conscience, as they would otherwise fall subject to Federation retaliation, if they were to lose their neutrality. (TOS: "Journey to Babel"; TAS: "The Pirates of Orion") "
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh, right, technically they weren't members.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013

You can't have an Orion captain because the Orions are not a signed member of the United Federation of Planets.

If Orions were a member of the UFP, that would preclude them being allied to the KDF.

Worf, being a special case as he was adopted and raised by UFP citizens, so Worf was a UFP citizen himself. You may have the odd Orion similarly raised somewhere in the UFP, but these exceptions are so very rare, that they won't be accommodated for as a playable race.

The Ferengi aren't Federation members either. They're a completely independent neutral power. And yet within the live-action canon there's a perfectly valid way for people who aren't Federation citizens to enter Starfleet: As Nog did in DS9 season three, they have to get a recommendation from a command-track Starfleet officer, Sisko in his case.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    The Ferengi aren't Federation members either. They're a completely independent neutral power. And yet within the live-action canon there's a perfectly valid way for people who aren't Federation citizens to enter Starfleet: As Nog did in DS9 season three, they have to get a recommendation from a command-track Starfleet officer, Sisko in his case.

It's not impossible for any race to become this. (Inb4 velociraptor captians)
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

True, though "Due to recent social reforms, however, many young Ferengi are exploring the world outside of commerce." Recent social reforms in the Orion Syndicate have been a bit more... lethal. Add to that the fact that Orions have an active and current slave trade, and you get a culture that is basically antithetical to the Federation... the Federation Charter specifically prohibits caste-based discrimination, which (outside of S&M) the slave/master relationship pretty much embodies.

Then again, if you are willing to take into account exceptions that prove the rule, every species should be playable by every faction, no exceptions. It's not like many of us don't have cross-faction doffs from Investigate Defection. Might as well just put all the species into the C-Store as a cross-faction unlock and call it good. It would help give Romulan faction access to their Vulcan brethren, Human traitors in the KDF (heck, there are already Klingon traitors in Starfleet), and the OP could have his Orion in the Federation. We don't need faction identity...

Of course, if you just want ERP on ESD, making Deltans and Risians playable and making the Betazoid formal wear more culturally appropriate would suffice. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2013

'Nuff said.

The UFP has plenty, and has ripped off enough content from the other factions. They don't need anymore, nor should they get any more, and some of the stuff they are currently getting, should have the spigot shut off, and have the balance returned to where it should be.

If you want to play one of the KDF races? Then join the KDF.

-- Smoov

Hmm, neutral ferengi in star fleet, as a race they are willing to sell anything. Trill are a federation member, yet they have also joined with the kdf. And last I checked Bajorans are still neutral but enter Star fleet. So how is it Orions are out?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, neutral ferengi in star fleet, as a race they are willing to sell anything. Trill are a federation member, yet they have also joined with the kdf. And last I checked Bajorans are still neutral but enter Star fleet. So how is it Orions are out?

Actually Trill are never mentioned as members of the Federation on the shows, even Mem Alpha clearly states:

"It is unclear if Trill was a member of the Federation"
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Actually Trill are never mentioned as members of the Federation on the shows, even Mem Alpha clearly states:

"It is unclear if Trill was a member of the Federation"

Then Qurzon, Jadzia, and Ezri Dax are all examples of non-aligned race in star fleet.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Then Qurzon, Jadzia, and Ezri Dax are all examples of non-aligned race in star fleet.

Almost, I don't think Curzon was ever in Starfleet, but only a diplomat for the Federation.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013

Well, technically they're the same person. :D
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Yet the Orions are aligned. In alliance with the KDF. Thats how and why they are out. They made their cjoice and went into an alliance with the Klingon Empire. So much so that they sent thousands of slaves as a gift to the Empiral high houses.
    They have made no alliance or gift to the feds because the feds where pursuing them as criminals.
    Hence no Orions for fed play.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Yet the Orions are aligned. In alliance with the KDF. Thats how and why they are out. They made their cjoice and went into an alliance with the Klingon Empire. So much so that they sent thousands of slaves as a gift to the Empiral high houses.
    They have made no alliance or gift to the feds because the feds where pursuing them as criminals.
    Hence no Orions for fed play.

First, the Federation does not accept gifts. Note that Nog's money was turned down.
    And it fails to explain the sheer number of Klingons in Star Fleet.

A single rule that disallows one race has a name to it.