test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• specialenvoyspecialenvoy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, it looks very cartoonish. Not impressed. Guess they are trying to get some Jurassic Park/Dino fans in-game to tie in with the upcoming sequel.

I wouldn't say cartoonish, comic book like maybe. Cartoonish means exaggerated features, like large eyes and changes in body proportions, that being said, I don't think full sized dinosaurs belong in the game at least ones with sentience.
  • endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It could be that they are having fun. Hey, look at these pathetic humans, lets send dinosaurs with pea sized brains at them and watch from our star ships while we eat popcorn.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Since nothing is too un-Trek anymore, I would like to see a new ship. If you can team 5 players of this same ship then your team gets an activatable power to form a giant robot who can use a sword. How awesome would it be to go wreck ESD or a Borg cube with this guy?! /sarcasmoff :rolleyes:
  • infiniteisoinfiniteiso Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope we get to play STO for a long time because right now its the only thing carrying the torch for the REAL Trek universe

Agreed; the devs have largely been quite careful to make logical extensions of existing canon and I for one am grateful at their dedication to the prime timeline. The new Trek is the place for wildly speculative and (dare I say) irrational Trek developments. STO is a good place to flesh out all the unknowns from canon and give them life - and the Voth are really great examples of that.

My hope is that they will be able to explain the existence of these dinosaurs. Are they also sentient? Since the Voth allegedly evacuated Earth, we presume they were sentient and had some kind of language at the time. Did they take other dino species with them who were kept in stasis or who didn't continue to evolve? Are there other form factors of Voth we are not aware of? I'm prepared to receive a solid explanation in the story because just from the images it does give one pause.

All that being said, I hope the Voth are EXTREMELY resilient. They were untouchable in VOY and it'd be nice to have some gravely serious end-game opponents.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Dinos with lazers in their heads..."

In other words, Dinoraiders. Classic cartoon and toy series. I for one was a fan, so to actually see this in-game, to me, is a nod toward those old-school fans of the cartoon.

Also, personally, I don't care if they don't follow the Voth source or make it like WoW as long as it's still Star Trek. To meet, as long as their are the ships and races and what-not, you can literally make it exactly like WoW, but it would still be Star Trek. That's my two cents on that bit.

Anyways, looking more forward to Season 8. =3
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm since in Voyager there was no mention of a gigantic Voth Empire I highly doubt the Voth were meant to be a race of soldiers and agressive conquerors. I would have created some separatistic fanatic religious group who wants to destroy all evidence supporting the distant origin theory.

BTW dinosours with lasers on their heads? Really? What's next? Overlords floating through space and firing photon torpedoes? No wait, wrong game....
  • revyremirevyremi Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ricosakara wrote: »
    "Dinos with lazers in their heads..."

In other words, Dinoraiders. Classic cartoon and toy series. I for one was a fan, so to actually see this in-game, to me, is a nod toward those old-school fans of the cartoon.

Also, personally, I don't care if they don't follow the Voth source or make it like WoW as long as it's still Star Trek. To meet, as long as their are the ships and races and what-not, you can literally make it exactly like WoW, but it would still be Star Trek. That's my two cents on that bit.

Anyways, looking more forward to Season 8. =3

this coming from a pony
  • sechserpackungsechserpackung Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    revyremi wrote: »
    this coming from a pony

Dinosaurs are BBBFF of ponys dude.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ricosakara wrote: »
    Also, personally, I don't care if they don't follow the Voth source or make it like WoW as long as it's still Star Trek.
    Contradiction?
  • fyathyriofyathyrio Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    So hey, get this.

Someone in this thread (or one of the other dino threads, can't remember) made a remark about how dinosaurs belonged over in CO instead of here.

So I'm checking out the new patch notes they put out on the CO test server. One of the new upcoming costumes that they're putting in their new lockbox is a dinosaur costume.

The reaction? Same as over here. Some of them are saying adding a dinosaur costume is a joke and an insult. In a game that already has dinosaurs with lasers and has had them since launch.

So if the dinos with laz0rs don't belong here OR over there...where do the poor dinos with laz0rs go?! :(

Why do Dinosaurs belong in Colorado?
    The Shepard's Prayer:

"Oh Lord, Please don't let me F-up"
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fyathyrio wrote: »
    Why do Dinosaurs belong in Colorado?

Champions Online

And to those referencing the use of animals by nations in war, particularly around WWII.

WWII ended almost 70 years ago now. Star Trek Online takes place in 2409. In others words, those references are irrelevant. If we were playing WWII-era Polish Army Online you may be onto something, but it has no bearing in a technologically advanced future-based game.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    As lets face it take a Loin on a boat with you and see how long you last with that Lion,

So far only Orions take a loin with them, but what does that have to do with lions?
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A concern about this new race:

The Voth were depicted as autocratic, but they weren't necessarily hostile towards others.
    They could be negotiated with and while they would engage in acts of hostility, they didn't want to outright murder people.

As witnessed by the case when they wanted to destroy Voyager, they were going to relocate the crew first before they did it.

Why is it every new race has to be an enemy or an adversary?
    Why can't they be allies instead?

Species 8472 is the ultimate example of how Cryptic dropped the ball on this.
    After they got to know the crew of Voyager (along with a study of alpha quadrant species), they realized their mistake in holding all humanoids responsible for the actions of the Borg.
    And then opened diplomatic negotiations with Voyager.

So it's highly unlikely they'd make that mistake again, not without throughly investigating it first.
    Granted, if they discovered the major powers were attacking them, then naturally, they'd react in force.
    But a small attack by a group of "unknown humanoids", 8472 are not that stupid as to equate that with an all out invasion of their homespace.

But Cryptic wanted them to be hostile enemies, so it was done.

And yes, I'd love to ride around in a mech.
    Mechs are fun!

Dinosaur attack pets are even more fun!
    Provided there is no timer that is and they're permanently there.
    And an additional condition of the summon device being permanent, not "consumed on use".

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Remember, people. Dinosaurs with frickin' lasers on their heads is perfectly all right for canon because it's 'just a game' and they want to 'have some fun' but some kind of T5 Constitution class is completely ridiculous.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seems like season 8 will be all about trying to convert all remaining NW assets not in STO yet to try to be sold in some form in season 8 LOL.

I think I am more excited about the winter event coming back than season 8 from what I've seen so far is probally not going to go well.
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Remember, people. Dinosaurs with frickin' lasers on their heads is perfectly all right for canon because it's 'just a game' and they want to 'have some fun' but some kind of T5 Constitution class is completely ridiculous.

I want a T5 NX-01 :(
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lasersaurus Rex is too silly for a game where, in the middle of a Devidian attack, you stop and take the time to mix (and potentially remix) a drink for a girl instead of getting the part yourself? (this looks even more ridiculous if you're playing as a Klingon. Imagine how Duras, or Gowron, or even Worf would have reacted if she turned down the drink 3 times in a row)

Too unrealistic in a game where ground combat doesn't consist of you just standing back and calling on your orbiting murdership to smash all enemy forces in thirty seconds?

Space Dinosaurs are too "out there" for a universe where friggin' Wesley Crusher basically becomes a God-being?
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    I want a T5 NX-01 :(

Ah man, so do I....so do I.....
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • triny83triny83 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    Ah man, so do I....so do I.....

Me also... :)
  • aiden089aiden089 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They just ruin it for the rest of us that like to keep things the way the shows had em and not just make stuff up for "games sake". :(

But this is a game, set in a time outside that of the TV shows. I agree that the mech suites are a bit too far fetched, but every civilisation has had a military arm to its government so for the Voth to have one is not a big suprise.
    Nedya.png
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In all honesty, radio controlled T-Rexes and Dino mechas are not to my tastes, not in a Star Trek game anyway... but I thank the team for the work on this and other recent improvements and I'm sure Season 8 will add some fun stuff to the game. Be nice if the game felt a bit less like a fighter pilot game sometimes though.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • trucks4trucks4 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs? nice.
    RISE OF THE CARDASSIANS
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    aiden089 wrote: »
    But this is a game, set in a time outside that of the TV shows. I agree that the mech suites are a bit too far fetched, but every civilisation has had a military arm to its government so for the Voth to have one is not a big suprise.

The mech suits? The dinosaurs with lasers are okay, but the mech suits are far fetched? :confused:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And a recent study/survey of over 10,000 women: 90% believed that men don't stop being children - EVER!! 100% believed that they act like children at least several times per month!

This is because women are condescending ;) .

BTW is it just me or does the screenies look like the Krogan and Protheans from Mass Effect? :S
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is someone calling my name? ;)

Yes, I am the one running at the dinosaurs with the Tholian Sword.
    Hey, I'm standing under them and aiming for the ankles, try getting at me there! :P

To be honest, I've always wondered about the Star Trek idiocy when it comes to ground combat.
    With all their advanced technology, the best way they can think of to fight ground wars is just to send a bunch of soldiers with hand rifles?

And anyone remember the Argo?
    It's a groundracer vehicle with an aft mounted cannon!
    Why aren't we just running over the Borg and then hitting reverse to back over them if they're still alive?

I'd bet a ground mech with melee combat ability would curbstomp the Borg so hard they'd think twice before walking up to me with the intent to assimiliate!
    So wanting my AFS mech now:
    AFS Mech
    And yes, we had a pilotable version that the player could control. ;)
    It had a melee punch, a ground slam attack, twin gattling guns and rocket salvos.
    Borg, say hello to your worst nightmare!

And why do players keep bringing up the T5 Connie every new Dev topic? :confused:
    It's off topic.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Is someone calling my name? ;) To be honest, I've always wondered about the Star Trek idiocy when it comes to ground combat.
    With all their advanced technology, the best way they can think of to fight ground wars is just to send a bunch of soldiers with hand rifles?

From a practical standpoint, I've always wondered why Star Trek ground combat didn't just consist of sitting in your captains chair and ordering your tactical officer to blast the surface till everything stopped moving. Save "Boots on the ground" for mop-up operations. The only reason I could think of in the end was "drama"
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Is someone calling my name? ;)

Yes, I am the one running at the dinosaurs with the Tholian Sword.
    Hey, I'm standing under them and aiming for the ankles, try getting at me there! :P

To be honest, I've always wondered about the Star Trek idiocy when it comes to ground combat.

And anyone remember the Argo?
    It's a groundracer vehicle with an aft mounted cannon!
    Why aren't we just running over the Borg and then hitting reverse to back over them if they're still alive?

I'd bet a ground mech with melee combat ability would curbstomp the Borg so hard they'd think twice before walking up to me with the intent to assimiliate!
    So wanting my AFS mech now:
    AFS Mech
    And yes, we had a pilotable version that the player could control. ;)
    It had a melee punch, a ground slam attack, twin gattling guns and rocket salvos.
    Borg, say hello to your worst nightmare!

Don't underestimate the Borg. They'll just adapt to whatever you throw at them.
    Transformers, Buggys or Dinosaurs in space - it doesn't really make a difference in the long run.
    Hitting a Borg with a sword deals only kinetic damage. Which can, against popular believe, be adapted to as easily if not even easier then to particle beams. (lore-wise, not ingame-wise)
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    From a practical standpoint, I've always wondered why Star Trek ground combat didn't just consist of sitting in your captains chair and ordering your tactical officer to blast the surface till everything stopped moving. Save "Boots on the ground" for mop-up operations. The only reason I could think of in the end was "drama"

YES!

Of course... The enemy fortified himself inside a heavily populated City? No Problem just a quick Torpedo Spread!
    You might need some Data that is inside an enemy base? Tough life... Fire All Phasers!

What are you? A Covenant Spy?
    Glass the Planet! Leave no sign of the heretics!

Oh and btw. even if some would use these tactics... certainly not Starfleet...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • neonevangelionneonevangelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What if the borg assimilate one of those silly armored laser T-Rex ? Ohnoes.