test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Art Lead Jeremy Mattson shares details about the process behind designing the Voth in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just gonna say it. Voth Boff/Doff. I want them. Howsabout one as a FE reward on top of that new carrier, or the last mission in the episode series?

Also, I want that silvery armor on the left in the first picture. And either the T rex or the Mech as a combat pet. Or both. Please make at least one not a consumable. The other can be a fleet reinforcement or something. Or from the rep system. You've got a trillion different ways to make it work, I believe in you, devs.

Edit: FIRST! :D ....Also, since when are we able to comment on dev blogs again?
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lol them concept images are very silly lookin with them in robot suits, just like tholians look silly in their armor suits. I highly doubt star trek would have them look like that imo. Especially voth, they looked like they wouldnt need it also they have far better tech to never need it to be honest.

Still the normal lookin voth image looked ok, u got the faces right at least. Tho the left voth looked a bit over dressed.

Killdozen, i reckon they will have a voth doff at some point possibly when the voth lock box comes and u just know they will do it. Dont think voth doffs would in canon work like due to them despising humans cos of the history of the voth but well it wont stop cryptic will it. :D

I still reckon cryptic has gona nuts with having the voth as the bad guys, they should be neutral and instead have a story arc maybe going to talk with em and open diplomacy or somit if starfleet ever did do somit. I always felt the voth were reasonable apart from that women one.

Also.

This sounds reasonably inteligent to me.

"The Voth in "Distant Origin" (Star Trek: Voyager, Ep 3?23) are portrayed as highly evolved scientists, and we wondered whether or not they would even have a military."

Then we have this which i am displeased with, because they treat star trek as a game instead of a realistic representation of the show we all love.

"In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers. We talked about everything from mechs and dinosaurs to flying creatures and super soldiers. At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!?

They just ruin it for the rest of us that like to keep things the way the shows had em and not just make stuff up for "games sake". :(

If i wanted a fantasy game with flying monsters and dinos with lasers on their heads i would play WoW or some TRIBBLE. Sto is suppose to be for the mature sci fi based players. Least thats how i see it. Im sure others that dont care as much will soon point that out below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sound great though I think I would have enjoyed making the dinos a little more alien with some bio-luminescence or something. I look forward to blowing the lasers off these dino's heads.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    ...concept images...

These are actually in-game shots that were rendered and then added to backdrops for the presentation of this blog :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh I second the demand for a Voth crew mate. Not the humanoids though, I want a raptor as my security officer!
    edited October 2013
    Also, since when are we able to comment on dev blogs again?

You just did :) Comments and feedback about blogs and news posts will live in a forum thread that's linked at the bottom of each.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why am I getting a "Mass Effect" vibe from those screenshots (costumes)
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We... we're gonna do ground combat against mech suits? And dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads?
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Probably because silhouette-wise Voth are very similar to Protheans.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Champions Online is leaking into mah Treks.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What the.... turok i will become!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's one of those things where I can put aside my overall dislike of the concept to say they look damn nifty...damn nifty. Great job.
  • grievasgrievas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Add to that all of the new and exciting gameplay scenarios and environments that payers are going to encounter, and The Sphere is really shaping up to be an amazing update to this ever-expanding game.

lol, so how much is it gonna cost us?
  • reporhapsodyreporhapsody Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is literally nothing I want more in this game than to have that T-rex as a Bridge Officer, or even a playable species. PLEASE make this happen.
    Paid Subscriber Since August 2010
    Lifetime Subscriber Since June 2012
    The 2nd Fleet -- Second to None
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Add to that all of the new and exciting gameplay scenarios and environments that payers are going to encounter
    Typo, or DLC mission pack? :P
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dont think voth doffs would in canon work like due to them despising humans cos of the history of the voth but well it wont stop cryptic will it. :D

They could be Voth that don't believe in Doctrine like the ones in the Voy episode.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will pay ANYTHING to have dinosaur mounts. ANYTHING. To hell with canon, you've mucked it up since launch. GIVE US DINOSAUR MOUNTS!
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like ground combat is going to get a lot more interesting..... :D
    Are we there yet?
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seriously? We're going Jurassic Park in space now? Come on.......................
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will there be a combat pet version that can be mounted and used as an attack weapon

It would be interesting to see one in a ground STF, biting and chewing their way to the end of the map.
    :P
    edited October 2013

Because in the first picture, the one on the left in the armor looks like a Turian and the two on the right look like protheans.

Which is why I want the armor, their parts in the alien generator, and the ability to get them on my crew. I've been trying to make a turian in alien gen for weeks to no avail.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    I will pay ANYTHING to have dinosaur mounts. ANYTHING. To hell with canon, you've mucked it up since launch. GIVE US DINOSAUR MOUNTS!

Hey! If he gets to ride dinosaurs, I want the 4x4 from the Argo shuttle!

;)
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hypl wrote: »

Hrmm, the dinosaur mount think did come to mind at first - but - that was quickly replaced with the thought of a Voth Assault Carrier that launched swarms of warriors in power armor at targets...

...which quickly led to wanting Battloid and Walker modes for KDF BoPs...

...which quickly led to a five man group forming Voltron...

...and so I left my other comment about how they look great and stepped away from the keyboard for a moment. ;)
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just gonna say it. Voth Boff/Doff. I want them. Howsabout one as a FE reward on top of that new carrier, or the last mission in the episode series?

Also, I want that silvery armor on the left in the first picture. And either the T rex or the Mech as a combat pet. Or both. Please make at least one not a consumable. The other can be a fleet reinforcement or something. Or from the rep system. You've got a trillion different ways to make it work, I believe in you, devs.

Edit: FIRST! :D ....Also, since when are we able to comment on dev blogs again?

I'm gonna one up this ... Playable species ... refugees or a breakway faction of them ... available to all three playable factions in game.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited October 2013
    Hrmm, the dinosaur mount think did come to mind at first - but - that was quickly replaced with the thought of a Voth Assault Carrier that launched swarms of warriors in power armor at targets...

...which quickly led to wanting Battloid and Walker modes for KDF BoPs...

...which quickly led to a five man group forming Voltron...

...and so I left my other comment about how they look great and stepped away from the keyboard for a moment. ;)

Battloid small craft. I would pay for a lifetime sub without batting an eye if they took the transforming vet ships to a new level and gave us a small craft like a peregrine that could transform like a veritech.

Dear god. What a thought.
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My concern is... judging from these Shots...

The Voth did evolve but not others? And after Millions of years, did they kept them from evolving at all (Those Dinosaucers / Battlesaurs)?
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really guys?
    At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!?

I get it, "it's a game let's have fun" but how on earth you could watch that episode from Voyager and think "dinosaurs with lasers on their head"...

Thank you for answering the question as to why this game is as deep as a sheet of paper...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers.

If I'm reading this right, the Voth "in the sphere" aren't necessarily the same Voth seen on Voyager. Those Voth, while quite capable of defending themselves, weren't particularly militaristic. It stands to reason that there's more than one Voth City Ship, perhaps with some major ideological differences between groups?
    edited October 2013
    grievas wrote: »
    lol, so how much is it gonna cost us?

players* fixed it for Mr. Mattson ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited October 2013
    If I'm reading this right, the Voth "in the sphere" aren't necessarily the same Voth seen on Voyager. Those Voth, while quite capable of defending themselves, weren't particularly militaristic. It stands to reason that there's more than one Voth City Ship, perhaps with some major ideological differences between groups?

Same Voth, but why are these Voth in the Sphere? Stay tuned to find out ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=