What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #1

Comments

• Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Barclay gets referenced (Well, he would be the resident expert on long-range trans-Quadrant communications since the Pathfinder Project would've failed without him, really... and he was on the Enterprise-D in 2369 when they discovered the Sphere...), the sphere from "Relics" is semi-officially named the "Jenolan Sphere"...

Though Voyager was 70,000 lightyears from Federation space and its voyage would be 70 years, that's a thousand light-years a year... if the Callisto is 30,000 light years away and only has three years left on their mission, how did they get to the Delta Quad and how are they getting back?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    requesting reinforcements, the OSK flotilla is outbound, we will gather forces for a slipstream recon jump mission. Rally point alpha @ tau dewa
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Carbon-60 isn't an isotope, it is a fullerene (buckminsterfullerene, actually). It is a molecule that is comprised of 60 carbon molecules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

The Name-Number notation references an isotope, not a molecular formula.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Exactly ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

And stop encouraging fake problems, Brandon. :P
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nice! Keep me updated *turns back to his cartoons* :)
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    And stop encouraging fake problems, Brandon. :P

I got 99 problems, but a fake ain't one :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    trolyo wrote: »
    Dear sto team I had an idea on how to incorporate the delta and or gamma quadrants in the game star fleet has just created the quantum transwarp core which is now standred on all starfleet ships it was an idea I had from a book I was writing I just wanted to throw the idea out there I hope this helps you guys I love STO

seems Transwarp is a standard issue already. :)
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, so the U.S.S. Callisto has been on an exploration mission for the past 3 years in the Delta Quadrat -- but Dstahl says that 'transportation to the Delta Quadrant is an issue they'll have to tackle'. :confused:
    Actually it says it has 3 year more to go on it's mission. It doesn't say how long it has been doing it's mission.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i'm no expert, but if this object is 30000 lightyears away, doesn't that mean that the array is giving starfleet data about it from 30000 years ago??
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If Barclay is voices by the actor who played him in TNG and Voyager, I am totally going to log back in to play that mission(s) when available.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    i'm no expert, but if this object is 30000 lightyears away, doesn't that mean that the array is giving starfleet data about it from 30000 years ago??
    Transmissions in STO beam via warp speed. They aren't limited to speed of light.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

99 problems on my list to do
    99 problems on my list
    take one down
    fiddle around
    98 problems on my list to do

98 problems on my list to do
    98 problems on my list
    take one down
    fiddle around
    97 problems on my list to do...
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Starfleet has been using Quantum Slipstream Drive -- we have enhanced Quantum Slipstream Drive now on the Odyssey and Chimera! We have the Federation Transwarp Hub, we have Transwarp Drive! We have Subtranswarp Drive, we have Asynchronous Warp Fields!

We have the Callisto in the Delta Quadrant without any type of support. Did Starfleet just throw this ship into the Delta Quadrant without any support at all?! How did it even get there so quickly if it only has three years left in its mission!?

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Go search for "carbon 60" and see you're wrong.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Actually it says it has 3 year more to go on it's mission. It doesn't say how long it has been doing it's mission.

Good point. I referenced that in my above comment.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Transmissions in STO beam via warp speed. They aren't limited to speed of light.

yeah sure transmissions, but to observe something? You know to be able to determine what it is made off?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Comms travel through subspace at FTL speeds.
    Quantum Slipstream drive, Subtranswarp Drive and Asynchronous Warp Fields, Transwarp Drive, Federation Transwarp Hub, etc. etc.

Solutions we've already had for a while.

But Dstahl thinks we're playing the Oregon Trail in the Delta Quadrant when we already have an interstate highway system in place. And this dev blog more or less highlights that there is no real transportation issue that Cryptic needs to address.

We aren't going to die of space dysentery, Dan. Stop making up fake problems.

I'm pretty sure the "interstate highway" is NOT built in the Delta Quadrant (or it was built, by the Borg, but then Voyager destroyed it on the way home). The SCE is still building their transwarp highway through Romulan space. Now, I'm pretty sure that one of the discoveries they'll find in or around that sphere is some sort of transwarp hub to get back to the alpha/beta quadrants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    yeah sure transmissions, but to observe something? You know to be able to determine what it is made off?
    In Trek ship sensors detect and analyze things from light year away. For example, they always know ships are coming in from light years and know what species the ships are. It's not that hand-wavy to assume they can do it with huge sensor arrays, IMO.
  • Options
    rebekkahjairebekkahjai Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It seems to me that there are any number of ways to transport to and from the Delta Quadrant in the STO Universe. I mean, how does it make sense that you can instantly transwarp from anywhere to your Fleet Starbase or ESD but nowhere else? As problems go, this one seems to me more about writing a credible scenario than having to build some kind of in-game structure to support it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Comms travel through subspace at FTL speeds.

I'm pretty sure the "interstate highway" is NOT built in the Delta Quadrant (or it was built, by the Borg, but then Voyager destroyed it on the way home). The SCE is still building their transwarp highway through Romulan space. Now, I'm pretty sure that one of the discoveries they'll find in or around that sphere is some sort of transwarp hub to get back to the alpha/beta quadrants.

The "interstate highway" was a metaphor for "advanced methods of travel". Just as the "Oregon Trail" comment was a metaphor for "Voyager-era methods of travel". Since we no longer have to buy oxen and use a covered wagon to travel from Philadelphia to California in 2013.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I assume we're going to get there and back via an Iconian Gate. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    walshicus wrote: »

C60/C sub 60/Carbon 60 means something entirely different from Carbon-60.

Just like O2 is fundamentally different from saying Oxygen-2

But hey, if we're quoting the internet now...
    An isotope and/or nuclide is specified by the name of the particular element (this indicates the atomic number implicitly) followed by a hyphen and the mass number (e.g. helium-3, helium-4, carbon-12, carbon-14, uranium-235 and uranium-239).[1] When a chemical symbol is used, e.g., "C" for carbon, standard notation (now known as "AZE notation" because A is the mass number, Z the atomic number, and E for element) is to indicate the number of nucleons with a superscript at the upper left of the chemical symbol and to indicate the atomic number with a subscript at the lower left.[2] Since the atomic number is implied by the element symbol, it is common to state only the mass number in the superscript and leave out the atomic number subscript (e.g. 3He, 4He, 12C, 14C, 235U, and 239U, respectively). The letter m is sometimes appended after the mass number to indicate a nuclear isomer, a metastable or energetically-excited nuclear state (rather than the lowest-energy ground state), for example 180m
    73Ta (tantalum-180m).
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Yes, the Sphere has probably been there in excess of 30000 years, and observable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    dralthcaandralthcaan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I notice everyone on about the Carbon-60 B.S. but did NO-one actually read the portion before that?????
    There?s high metallic content, including massive amounts of boronite.

BORONITE!!! The ore that the Borg used to synthesize OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Could this be a precursor to Finally bringing the Omega molecule and its lore to the STO Universe?

Maybe even an Omega Lock Box :P
    (btw. PWE I get 1% of all sales from any possible Omega LB- payable in Zen , you are welcome for the idea)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    In Trek ship sensors detect and analyze things from light year away. For example, they always know ships are coming in from light years and know what species the ships are. It's not that hand-wavy to assume they can do it with huge sensor arrays, IMO.

for what i know, they do identify ships by their warp signature which clearly interferes with subspace, but detailed analasys about elements used in the object allways needed proximity or a pobe.
    i mean it is "made up" sci fi, and so i guess everything is possible, but that is a long stretch to determine materials of an object over that kind of distance.
    either the object emits particles or radiation at FTL speeds, or midas and the romulan array use some sort of scanning beam that can travel over this distances 2 times and still retain enough intensity give this reading.

this array must be one hell of a powerplant if it has a scanning potential that far and taht detailed.
    and i mean, a poweroutput that would make the deathstar look cheap.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    dralthcaan wrote: »
    So I notice everyone on about the Carbon-60 B.S. but did NO-one actually read the portion before that?????

BORONITE!!! The ore that the Borg used to synthesize OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Could this be a precursor to Finally bringing the Omega molecule and its lore to the STO Universe?

The two are actually related. Carbon shenanigans came from the same Voyager EP where boronite was referenced. Omega is a reasonable inference in that context.
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Indeed, glad others are noticing this. I know that being a scientist just confuses me, but seeing the wrong notation for buckyballs (C60; can't see how to do a subscript here) blew my brain over just how ridiculously short-lived a Carbon-60 isotope would be...
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Delta Quadrant/Trajector technology :rolleyes:
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    walshicus wrote: »

I believe stirling191 covered the correct notation thoroughly, but I would further suggest you search for "carbon-13" and see that it is indeed the notation for isotopes, not for molecular structure.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I don't rightly remember, but I believe the MIDAS Array is similar to a subspace telescope. Since subspace is a separate dimension, it means the Array can transmit and receive in a fraction of the time sub-light comms could.