Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #1

Comments

• Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay ...

Okay.

OKAY WE ARE GETTING A DYSON SHELL! (I don't think Cryptic will but in a sphere, much as fun as it could be).
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Okay ...

Okay.

OKAY WE ARE GETTING A DYSON SHELL! (I don't think Cryptic will but in a sphere, much as fun as it could be).

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    astrorobla wrote: »
    Indeed, glad others are noticing this. I know that being a scientist just confuses me, but seeing the wrong notation for buckyballs (C60; can't see how to do a subscript here) blew my brain over just how ridiculously short-lived a Carbon-60 isotope would be...

Sadly, the popular press has used C-60 before, it's hardly a unique occurrence. You'll have to learn to live with it.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    barkley must but 120 years old by now
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,243 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There?s a region a full astronomical unit in size that our sensors can?t map.

Guys, you know what an AU is? its the middle distance from the earth to the sun. Thats like nothing compared to the sizes of a galaxy. So its a bit strange to say, wow, there is a FULL AU that our sensors cant read. I bet there are billions of AU the federation cant scan.^^
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    chalpen wrote: »

Born in 2340. That makes him 69 years old in 2409.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chalpen wrote: »

If McCoy can see off the Ent-D at the age of 127, Barclay can chime in on readings at the age of 80 or so (he's shown as roughly middle aged by todays standards 40 years prior to STO).
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I don't rightly remember, but I believe the MIDAS Array is similar to a subspace telescope. Since subspace is a separate dimension, it means the Array can transmit and receive in a fraction of the time sub-light comms could.

yeah, no doubt. no discussion about identifying warp signatures and other subspace interferances over vast distances, but to identify the material something is made off?

that seems very far fetched imo

what i guess is, that the fellow who wrote it, just needed the MIDAS to be able to do that, so he/she wrote it. I mean this is delta quadrant trek science, doesn't need to be canon or based on real science just as the writers of voyager didn't care most of the time (warp 10 barrier ;) ).

on a related note: the first pic i saw of the inside of the sphere, the surface was shaped wrong...something like a dome under a bigger dome...in other words cryptic's dyson sphere is a planet where the space surrounding it has the same texture as the planet.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Guys, you know what an AU is? its the middle distance from the earth to the sun. Thats like nothing compared to the sizes of a galaxy. So its a bit strange to say, wow, there is a FULL AU that our sensors cant read. I bet there are billions of AU the federation cant scan.^^

But they can usually tell why, or pick up some radiation. An area which is literally blank? A planet-sized area, maybe, but a full AU? Not likely.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I assume, much like in Relics, the sphere doesn't really register on sensors as your zooming around space. If it wasn't for the ship distress call the Ent D would have flown right past that Dyson Sphere.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Born in 2340. That makes him 69 years old in 2409.

I genuinely take issue with the Barclay shown in TNG being 26.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    astrorobla wrote: »
    I believe stirling191 covered the correct notation thoroughly, but I would further suggest you search for "carbon-13" and see that it is indeed the notation for isotopes, not for molecular structure.

In the absence of subscript formatting "C-60" is still valid. :)
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok if the upcoming FE is the bridge between rom rep missions and the new season.... We all know iconian tech will get us there in that mission and, season 8 it must be a gate way or some like. Also its interesting that on tribble in the transwarp tab, the fleet spire is there ( it says delta quadrant ).
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    > Picture of a Luna-class ship

> U.S.S. Callisto

Somebody is paying attention to the little details.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I genuinely take issue with the Barclay shown in TNG being 26.

Dwight Shultz is 66 currently (He was 43 in 1990). The alternate reality in the Voyager episode "Endgame" took place in 2404, five years before what would be the present time in STO, and he was still in active service there and somewhat aged.

Given the make-up artists in TNG, I think he could pass for 26.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dralthcaan wrote: »

BORONITE!!! The ore that the Borg used to synthesize OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Omega was already hinted at in the LoR mission on the deactivated Borg Cube.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Dwight Shultz is 66 currently (He was 43 in 1990). The alternate reality in the Voyager episode "Endgame" took place in 2404, five years before what would be the present time in STO, and he was still in active service there and somewhat aged.

Given the make-up artists in TNG, I think he could pass for 26.

Murdock be crazy
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dralthcaan wrote: »
    BORONITE!!! The ore that the Borg used to synthesize OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Could this be a precursor to Finally bringing the Omega molecule and its lore to the STO Universe?

In LoR there already was a reference to Omega. In Sleepers there was a hint at Omega and its connection to the Iconians.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Three years travel distance? Spool up the plot drive and prepare for ludicrous speed!
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh this is going to be good!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    In the absence of subscript formatting "C-60" is still valid. :)

Not at all. C60 is the non sub way of writing a molecule with 60 carbon atoms. Just like O2, N2, H2O are the non sub ways of saying Oxygen, Nitrogen and water. You don't write the empirical formulae as O-2, N-2, or H-2O-1

Carbon-60/C-60 is how you describe a Carbon isotope with an atomic mass of 60. Just like Uranium-232/U-232 is how you describe a Uranium isotope with an atomic mass of 232.

I honestly don't see how I can make it any plainer than that.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Y'know, I keep reading this, and the only thing I can think of is that we got another V'Ger on our hands.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Three years travel distance? Spool up the plot drive and prepare for ludicrous speed!

Nah they used the spice to travel without moving

Then the crew got ahold of the spice everyone got high

now its a three year journey back using their new handwavion warp core :eek:

And Cryptic is to cheap to EVER allow us to go to ..Plaid :D
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »

I hereby claim patent on the "Hyper Quantum Transwarp" Transporter beam technology (and all derivatives) that enable instantaneous transportation from, say, the Alpha quadrant to the Delta quadrant.

As all the star navies (Starfleet, KDF, RR) have billions of available starships produced every microsecond, we can take 1/4 of these fleets, refit them with H-Q-T systems, and when a crew wants / needs to operate in the Delta quadrant they can just "beam" their entire crew over in a fraction of a second.

Remember, we're transwarping from the far points of the galaxy to Gamma Orisonis in microseconds through the "Queue-Transwarp" system, this is just a logical extension of the range... :P
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Barclay ftw

now... question.. Will it take three years to reach this dyson sphere... and can I transwarp back once i'm there?

Erm, wasn't season 8 supposed to show what was happening with the Iconian gate on New Romulus and a now a locale thousands of light years away... could it be a connection :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Something tells me hijacking an Iconian gateway from their owners for a mass joyride is a very bad idea.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Re; Travel to the Delta Quadrant

Don't forget, there's a ship sized Iconian Gate, built into an asteroid in the Brea system.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    revyremirevyremi Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    i'm no expert, but if this object is 30000 lightyears away, doesn't that mean that the array is giving starfleet data about it from 30000 years ago??

only if it travels @ light speed. it doesnt
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Barclay gets referenced (Well, he would be the resident expert on long-range trans-Quadrant communications since the Pathfinder Project would've failed without him, really... and he was on the Enterprise-D in 2369 when they discovered the Sphere...), the sphere from "Relics" is semi-officially named the "Jenolan Sphere"...

Though Voyager was 70,000 lightyears from Federation space and its voyage would be 70 years, that's a thousand light-years a year... if the Callisto is 30,000 light years away and only has three years left on their mission, how did they get to the Delta Quad and how are they getting back?

Ignoring the fact that the 70,000 light years years = 70 years travel is highly inconsistent within Star Trek as it is....

Anyhow, we have Sliptstream and TransWarp now available to us that Voyager didn't. In the episode where Voyager experimented with slip stream they crashed just inside the beta quadrant within a short time of entering slipstream.