Comments

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,243 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Great, but where is my new lockbox?
    What should i do now with my 148 keys?

You could give them to me! :P
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Raven was just an S.S. registry, I think, not U.S.S.; it's the ship that Annika Hanson (The future Seven of Nine) and her parents were on before they were assimilated.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gndrstnk wrote: »
    The Star Trek Official Magazine is publishing stories on the Enterprise F, mostly centering around O'Brien.
    Yeah, I've read some of them. That doesn't do the thousands who don't read the magazine any good, though.

IMHO, too much of STO's info is not where STO fans should be getting it from. Too many podcasts and magazine articles rather then info on the forum where the actual gamers are at.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The billion latium question is how does this effect the Klingon Empire? They've explained the Federation and Romulan involvement, but not the Empire's. Right now I'm assuming the Romulan Republic simply told the Klingons. Or the that Klingon Intelligence or the Orion Syndicate informed them.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    But even if it took months, so what? It's clearly a multi-year expedition - as they have 3 years more to go.

As for never hearing about it, again, so what? We don't hear about what any of the other ships are doing - ships we know about like the Enterprise F, Titan, or ships we have never heard of before.

Yes, it would be great if Cryptic published a monthly Federation News blog, telling us what the Ent F is doing and other selective ships. I'd love to see that happen, but I'm not going to hold it against Cryptic for not doing that. Heck, they even removed the Path to 2409 from the website. How important is the history compared to the event to them?

Dude you don't get it.

Its for Cryptic to get people to feel like they are actually in a developing story and a changing world. Like I mentioned earlier with the Kang, as a Fed you encounter it a couple of times, while as a Klingon you hear talk on Qo'nos how Jarrod got into a fight and the Kang is back for repairs. Now that is actually interesting!

I don't want a blog saying "oh hey here's a ship you never heard of suddenly ending up in an interesting area!" Come on, build up the story! Get the players motivated that STO isn't some static world, but actually growing!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Dude you don't get it.
    I do get it, but every STO player is different. I have close friends who never read the mission log text. I would bet a huge percentage of the current player-base hasn't read all the text in the missions they've played through. Not everyone who plays this game is a Trekkie or will remember ever hearing about Kang or whomever.

With a blog you atleast have a point of reference. Something you can come back to and see how it was foreshadowed. Few are going to remember the U.S.S. Callisto being mentioned in the middle of some mission text, no matter how cool it might be.

And STO is a static world. 4 years, same game year. It is what it is. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This game has a story? lolwat? Do you mean those popup things that make me decloak and spam f through them to get closer to the loot?
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whatever type of vessel the U.S.S. Callisto is she would have to be well equipped to going back to the DQ as Voyager made alot enemies and she would have to be a ship that was equip for long range as well a large crew and well armed. As for the means that she got there or into the DQ, perhaps slipstream was used, remember when Voyager used it, it was too dangerous to use, so perhaps the U.S.S. Callisto can only use it a few times to ensure not blowing anything out as even in this time period it hasn't been perfected. But, why send one vessel into an area in which you only know of what Voyager brought back, the books mentioned sending an large armada with Voyager as the lead ship.
  • Options
    dr891dr891 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    An Astronomical Unit is definitely not bigger than most star systems. An AU is the distance from the Sun to Earth, so it's smaller than our system.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    (To get back on some other topic...)

This just in from the Imperial News Network. Due to the news of a possible alliance between the Tribble Revolt and the Federation, the Klingon Empire has acquired a new ally in it's fight to stop the dreaded Undine and Tribbles...this creature is apparently called a Parasprite. It flies and with some genetic manipulation...can be made to eat anything.

Also, the remnants of the Tal Shiar has acquired help from an army of rogue Changlings under the rule of a Queen Chrysalis.

Stay tuned for more as the situation develops.

I knew it! Q is Discord! :D

Anyway, getting to the Delta Quadrant should be simple enough. The Callisto could have spent months or a couple of years getting there (the Dauntless allegedly took three months with slipstream). Once there, the Callisto then proceeded to construct a Transwarp gate connecting to Federation space, allowing for near-instant travel between that location and the Federation--conceptually it is like a ship arriving at an island and then setting up an airstrip. Players will then be able to reach the Delta Quadrant sector block through this gate, much like how we currently travel to and from the Gamma Orionis sector block.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The story is a bit weird since Voyager was also 30.000 lightyears away when they did start Operation Watson.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operation_Watson
    Operation Watson was the first attempt by Starfleet Communications in 2378 to successfully create a communications link between Earth in the Alpha Quadrant and the USS Voyager, thirty thousand light years away in the Delta Quadrant. It involved bouncing the signal off a quantum singularity using the MIDAS array, and provided a live link for eleven minutes each day. The project itself was devised by Harry Kim and Seven of Nine, who coordinated with Reginald Barclay. (VOY: "Author, Author")
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just a little break in the conversation here.. sorry, i wonder if the cryptic team expected this level of " intense " scrutiny when they put this together? Anyway back to the deconstruction of the first season 8 blog.
  • Options
    broborabrobora Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Barclay uses a Neural Interface in the episode The Nth Degree: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Nth_Degree_(episode)

In this episode he uses the Holodeck to manufacture a neural interface chair and gets shot in the head repeatedly by laser beams whilst he co-ordinates upgrades to the Nacelles making a subspace distortion via Graviton beam.

The distortion is traversable and facilitates the travel of the Enterprise-D to the centre of the galaxy where they meet Cytherians.

Barclay's inclusion in all of this is enticing. But it was referenced that the next season would be to face a foe met in Voyager, which I prospected incorrectly as being Krenim (they'd wiped themselves out in a Time loop, but causality means the mirror universe would have an intact copy of the Krenim).

However, the MIDAS array is pointing towards the Delta Quadrant and was looking for Pulsars to use in communications with the Callisto, surely that means that MIDAS->Callisto would take months at FTL, but with Pulsar every 4 days.

Puttintg that in context the Array was able to observe a deep view into the background from just over 1 month "ago". 1AU diameter void, observed 1 month ago at a distance of 30k ly would be a stretch, but feasible given the development curve from today's tech age to star trek's fantasy.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Only thing i wonder about is how they are going to fit a dyson Sphere into a lock box.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jonolexjonolex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cool. The Callisto one of my ships (and she's a Luns-class too), so it looks like her crew will get there first (either that or it's going to be a very weird story when I play it with that ship.) :)
    TrekBBS Armada
    STO Captains (@Trek88): Lex, Foxton, Zylah, Sh'Rrth, Riku, Saundra
    Author: The Adventures of Argus
    Twitter: @Trek88
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Only thing i wonder about is how they are going to fit a dyson Sphere into a lock box.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensionally_transcendental
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    epicmaster200epicmaster200 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why.... Cliff hanger :( ... But, still yay season 8. Cant wait!
    ***Warning***
    This Post May Cause damage to unEPIC people...
    If you have trouble while reading this post. You are not EPIC enough to read it.

• Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    brobora wrote: »
    Barclay's inclusion in all of this is enticing. But it was referenced that the next season would be to face a foe met in Voyager, which I prospected incorrectly as being Krenim (they'd wiped themselves out in a Time loop, but causality means the mirror universe would have an intact copy of the Krenim).

The Krenim didn't 'wipe themselves out'.

The Krenim were ravaged by a plague caused by the constant interferance of the Temporal Weapon's captain in the time-stream trying to destroy their enemies - without anticipating the effect the lack thereof would have on his people, then when Voyager and the rag-tag fleet of survivors from other races fighting the Krenim Imperium destroyed the Temporal Weapon, it undid all the changes to the timestream resulting in a Krenim Imperium that was basically just another culture fighting over a conflicted area.

The final scene of "Year of Hell" shows the Krenim back to where they were before all the temporal incursions began, but also shows the guy who would've been captain of the Weapon working on the idea...

But the Krenim as a race and the Krenim Imperium as a political body should still exist unless the Weapon was built and used during the 40 years between Voyager and STO.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wake me when Season 9 starts...
  • Options
    spacebreederspacebreeder Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yay season 8 yay new content yay tons more bugs that wont get fixed!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I heard once that season 9 would have some pvp workd into it. Is there any way to confirm this?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I heard once that season 9 would have some pvp workd into it. Is there any way to confirm this?

Id like to see more of a robust system of PVP not instances in which currently exist. Something that is a challenge, a purpose and reasoning behind it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We've been hearing about PvP updates coming with every Season since 4; yet every Season seems to have no PvP in it. I wouldn't hold your breath about anything a Dev states that is more then 1 month before something launches. :)
  • Options
    broborabrobora Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Krenim didn't 'wipe themselves out'.

+supporting statements
    TL;DR- I want more temporal effects on different ships in pvp.

Short version:
    I agree with you, and also repeat that in a Mirror Universe the Krenim could still be doing Temporal Incursions, pretty much how you said they could be.

Funky bunch them Krenim.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We've been hearing about PvP updates coming with every Season since 4; yet every Season seems to have no PvP in it. I wouldn't hold your breath about anything a Dev states that is more then 1 month before something launches. :)

That they have indeed, i wonder the reason behind it is an entire revamp of the PVP system which needs an overhaul and a purpose not the current system./
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,846 Arc User
    edited October 2013

The above is so true...a lot of wishful thinking but no action from Cryptic. Look KDF waited 7.5 seasons to finally get a true "tutorial". Perhaps we might have to wait till season 14.5 to get PvP revamped :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    tongi02tongi02 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    carbon-60 Isn't An Isotope, It Is A Fullerene (buckminsterfullerene, Actually). It Is A Molecule That Is Comprised Of 60 Carbon Molecules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/buckminsterfullerene

Loloolololol!!!!!!!:d
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cool fiction write up, but seriously, Carbon-60? 54 neutrons? I know Star Trek breaks physics a bit, but that's WAY out there.

I think they are referring to a structure which has 60 Carbon atoms in it's make up. Think a super buckyball. A crystalline form of carbon t hat even stronger than carbon nanotubes and graphene.