What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #1

Comments

• Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Technically speaking the Delta Quadrant is reachable with current tech. Admiral Hayes told Janeway that he had redirected two deep-space exploration vessels toward Voyager's position, and the ship would have been able to rendezvous with them in five to six years. I wonder if the Callisto was part of that duo? I mean Voyager made it home before rendezvousing with those ships, so did Starfleet order them to turn around and come home or did they continue exploring?

So it takes 5 to 6 years just to reach the Delta Quadrant, then you have to factor in the time you wish to explore there and then add another 5 to 6 years to travel back to the Alpha Quadrant. It's doable but you can see why they still don't want to do it. A more efficient means is needed and by 2409 they will probably find a way.

I still want to know what happened to those two ships though.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ignoring the fact that the 70,000 light years years = 70 years travel is highly inconsistent within Star Trek as it is....

Why is this inconsisten, it would have taken Voyager 75 years to return home if she could fly the entier time with Warp 9.975 what is not possible.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I still want to know what happened to those two ships though.

One was assimilated and one is entertaining some talaxians.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    They are probably getting inspiration from the novels where the Federation sends a mini fleet back into the Delta quadrant - Starts with Full Circle iirc

Novel storylines don't exist in STO canon.
    Picked up something I think we might want to take a closer look at, sir.

We?ve been directing the MIDAS array at an area on the edge of the Delta Quadrant. There?s a Class B pulsar in that region that we?re using to extend the array?s reach. The U.S.S. Callisto has three years left in its mission in the Delta Quadrant, and since it is more than 30,000 light years away from home we can?t use a quantum singularity to strengthen the subspace link. Bouncing the signal off the pulsar allows us to send a datastream to the Callisto every four days instead of waiting more than a month like we had to do in the old Project Pathfinder days.

When we were looking for the right Class B pulsar, though, we found something unusual. There?s a region a full astronomical unit in size that our sensors can?t map. It?s almost like a blank space, for lack of a better term, or a hole in the stars. But there?s definitely something there.

The Romulan Republic has a long-range sensor grid in on the edge of Tau Dewa, and it?s in a better position to get a look at the area. But what they?re getting doesn?t make much sense, either. There?s high metallic content, including massive amounts of boronite. Since that mineral isn?t normally found in asteroids, I don?t think it?s a normally occurring phenomenon. We?re also picking up sarium, carbon-60, kelbonite and even some alloys.

The presence of the alloys would make me say that it?s an artificial construction, and there?s enough kelbonite to block long-range scans. But it?s too big for the simple explanations. It?s bigger than any planet I?ve ever seen. It?s bigger than some star systems!

Barclay says it?s a Dyson sphere, and he might be right. Can we get someone from the SCE team at the Jenolan Dyson Sphere to take a look at these readings? I?d like an expert opinion, and the engineers there have been studying their Dyson sphere for forty years, ever since the Enterprise-D found it and Captain Scott.

If it?s another Dyson sphere, then I recommend we reroute the Callisto there as soon as possible. The data Callisto is sending back from the Delta Quadrant is interesting, but it?s nothing that we aren?t familiar with from Voyager?s initial journeys in that region. This is something entirely different.

I thought the Jenolan sphere was an once-in-a-lifetime find. Maybe I was wrong.

Interesting, having the Callisto 30,000 Light Years from Earth puts in the general vicinity of the old Borg Transwarp Hub. If not, then it's not even in the Delta Quadrant. (Center of the Galaxy is ~26,000 Light Years from Earth.)

(You guys should've gave hints to her departure when you released LoR. Or snuck in patches since LoR).

There's a region a full astronomical unit in size that our sensors can?t map. It?s almost like a blank space

You should've said "There's a region in space a full astronomicial unit in size".
    The Romulan Republic has a long-range sensor grid in on the edge of Tau Dewa, and it?s in a better position to get a look at the area. But what they?re getting doesn?t make much sense, either. There?s high metallic content, including massive amounts of boronite. Since that mineral isn?t normally found in asteroids, I don?t think it?s a normally occurring phenomenon. We?re also picking up sarium, carbon-60, kelbonite and even some alloys.

This Part made absolutely no sense and whoever wrote this was definitely pulling out their......

How in the world the Romulan Republic, using salvaged technology, able to have sensors that go well 30,000 Light Years into Deep Space? (That's literally a good chunk of the Galaxy, almost 1/2 of it). The Federation doesn't even have even a fraction of that capability. Best I recall, Federation Sensors at best are like 2 sectors distant, which is roughly 20 light years in distance. (Don't confuse with Astrometric Sensors in mapping, where Voyager's mapping reflected a distance of 10,000 light years).
  • Options
    starkofthenorthstarkofthenorth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Dwight Shultz is 66 currently (He was 43 in 1990). The alternate reality in the Voyager episode "Endgame" took place in 2404, five years before what would be the present time in STO, and he was still in active service there and somewhat aged.

Given the make-up artists in TNG, I think he could pass for 26.

Michael Westmore is a master.
    Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Novel storylines don't exist in STO canon.
    Tell that to the Vesta. :)
    Interesting, having the Callisto 30,000 Light Years from Earth puts in the general vicinity of the old Borg Transwarp Hub. If not, then it's not even in the Delta Quadrant. (Center of the Galaxy is ~26,000 Light Years from Earth.) So I'm wondering if that's how the Callisto got there so fast, since her travels was not mentioned at all in the Path to 2409.

(You guys should've gave hints to her departure when you released LoR. Or snuck in patches since LoR).
    It's important to keep in mind that in STO canon we have ships with certain gear regularly going Warp 20+ and with Slipstream Warp 30+. The Warp 10 barrier is no longer valid. A ship cruising at Warp 20 can cover 70k light years in a fraction of the time of Voyager going Warp 9ish.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

It's important to keep in mind that in STO canon we have ships with certain gear regularly going Warp 20+ and with Slipstream Warp 30+. The Warp 10 barrier is no longer valid. A ship cruising at Warp 20 can cover 70k light years in a fraction of the time of Voyager going Warp 9ish.

Not to mention if it has 3 years left on its mission, if it travelled 30,000 light years away (slightly less than half the distance voyager had to travel from the Caretaker away at 70,000 light years). Then it'd have taken them 30+ years to even get to this area under conventional warp drive -- then another 30+ years back to Federation space using conventional warp drive. If so, then it would have had to have started its mission around the events of Nemesis. And without any sort of ship support? :rolleyes:

Since it has 3 years left on its journey, it blatantly implies it's using one of our many faster-than-warp technologies.

... which still doesn't explain why dstahl seems to think travel time to Delta Quadrant is a 'problem' they need to figure out. Despite the fact STO makes a point not to have realistic travel times in the game for the sake of being able to go around and play the game without waiting days/weeks/months/years between missions. Which is a good thing, mind you, but to suddenly bring up 'travel time' as a problem when STO was founded on the idea that travel times are extremely malleable and inconsistent and the devs continually giving us new ways to move around sector space faster is nothing short of dumbfounding.

"Travel times aren't a problem in STO unless we want them to be." :confused:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    its interesting to see story line that actually uses the propulsion thats been established in game to its potential. surely war and turmoil back home have severely stunted potential intergalactic exploration.

there should proboly be limits but on the tech through. like slip streaming and transwarping about is all fine and good in local explored space, but you have to be much more careful when venturing into deep space. transwarp jumps should be able to put you anywhere there is a transwarp gate easily enough, but there needs to be an established destination first.
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Going to have to have to give the old slipstream drive a check up if I'm going to take a 30,000+ light year trip.

:D
  • Options
    ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Knowing that there's a ship in the Delta quadrant makes me think that most of it's missions revolve around either apologizing to several species for Janeway's mistakes, or getting shot at because of them.

Maybe I can explore this in the Foundry.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good Read. Being that it's still 2409, the starship Callisto's mission would have began in 2406. The foundations of the Federations transwarp network were laid in 2399. So a basic transwarp coil - based upon Excelsior research - may well have already been a part of the Callisto. Therefore, getting home is actually the easy part.

Callisto is the name of a moon. Which suggests this starship may be of the Luna-class. If not Luna, perhaps of the Aventine-class? Which might acknowledge - loosely - the series of novels about the slipstream fleet which returns to explore the Delta Quadrant. I understand player's only got their hands on the Aventine's during 2409. But if the class is active retroactively in the STO timeline, it would explain how Callisto got there.

And Brandon? You need to requisition a nice site graphic for Season 8 teaser blogs. ;)
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    Good Read. Being that it's still 2409, the starship Callisto's mission would have began in 2406.
    This seems to have been misread a lot. The mission still had 3 years left. It didn't start 3 years ago. We have no information on when it started.
    Callisto is the name of a moon. Which suggests this starship may be of the Luna-class. If not Luna, perhaps of the Aventine-class? Which might acknowledge - loosely - the series of novels about the slipstream fleet which returns to explore the Delta Quadrant. I understand player's only got their hands on the Aventine's during 2409. But if the class is active retroactively in the STO timeline, it would explain how Callisto got there.
    As the picture is a Luna Class I'm going to assume that was it. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The idea of the Federation potentially acquiring a second Dyson sphere brings to mind a certain piece of 20th century Human music. Still, this looks like it could be the start of something cool :)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Starship =/= Storyline. :rolleyes:

Outside of the Vesta with Ezri Captaining her, or Riker and the Titan, what else from the Destiny or Titan series made it into STO?

That wasn't the point of my post, dude. /facepalm

And even with Slipstream it would still take months to travel there. Not to mention factors that would delay it like new races that the Federation never encountered between Romulan Space and the Delta Quadrant border.

I just made an offhand comment that "hey if you look at the numbers, the Calisto is near the old Borg Transwarp Hub, and Hey, in STO the Federation uses Transwarp Hub Networks, maybe they manage to use the other end as a relay and zooom get the Calisto to that area of space in a short time where nobody in STO knew she was sent out!"
    ... which still doesn't explain why dstahl seems to think travel time to Delta Quadrant is a 'problem' they need to figure out. Despite the fact STO makes a point not to have realistic travel times in the game for the sake of being able to go around and play the game without waiting days/weeks/months/years between missions. Which is a good thing, mind you, but to suddenly bring up 'travel time' as a problem when STO was founded on the idea that travel times are extremely malleable and inconsistent and the devs continually giving us new ways to move around sector space faster is nothing short of dumbfounding.

"Travel times aren't a problem in STO unless we want them to be." :confused:

My impression that it wasn't Travel times, but more like how to add the Gamma and Delta Quadrants to the STO map and make it still feel like a Galaxy.

To me, STO's maps will have to be expanded on to fit even the little bits of the Gamma and Delta Quadrants.

But there are literally dozens of ways to get around the Galaxy instead of pure slipstream.

Federation Transwarp Hubs,
    Remains of the Borg Transwarp Hubs
    Subspace Corridors
    Wormholes (Bajoran to the Gamma Quadrant, a stabilized Barzan to the Delta Quadrant)
    The Iconian Gateway on New Romulus.
    Alien Technology like the Slingshot drive.
    Regular Transwarp Drive

Just up to the team which one to use to get to a destination.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That wasn't the point of my post, dude. /facepalm
    You stated "So I'm wondering if that's how the Callisto got there so fast," referencing the Borg Hub. I was simply pointing out that a ship traveling warp 20-35 can get there VERY quickly even without a Transwarp Hub.
  • Options
    venetar90venetar90 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ooo exciting :D
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dralthcaan wrote: »
    So I notice everyone on about the Carbon-60 B.S. but did NO-one actually read the portion before that?????

BORONITE!!! The ore that the Borg used to synthesize OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Could this be a precursor to Finally bringing the Omega molecule and its lore to the STO Universe?

Maybe even an Omega Lock Box :P
    (btw. PWE I get 1% of all sales from any possible Omega LB- payable in Zen , you are welcome for the idea)

The Memory Alpha entry for Boronite(there's not a whole lot to it) suggests that it's an ultra-strength construction material that is easier to get(given that you can mine it from a planet or asteroid) at that Neutronium.
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cool fiction write up, but seriously, Carbon-60? 54 neutrons? I know Star Trek breaks physics a bit, but that's WAY out there.

In The TNG episode "Relics" it was mentioned that the hull of the Dyson Sphere was composed of Carbon Neutronium.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    ITS THE TRIBBLE GOD RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!! Qo'nos is now in trouble as millions of battle hardened tribble warriors take their revenge on the Klingons for the horrors perpetrated upon their race
    SYSTEM - You have received 1 x Tribble(doom)
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    NOW HEAR THIS, NOW HEAR THIS!

President Aennik Okeg of Sauria, of the United Federation of Planets, has announced to the Federation News Network that representatives from Starfleet have begun negoiations with the Tribbles for a possible alliance against the Klingon Empire. Meanwhile, more and more Romulan Republic captains are betraying their allegiance to the KDF, expecting a full Tribble invasion of Klingon space withing the next few weeks.
    A general revolt has broken out amongst the Gorn, who are hoping to free their world from Klingon dominance. Melani D'ian is still supporting the KDF, but there are talks about Orion going more rogue than before.
    The discovery of the Tribble god has also provided Memory Alpha with answers as to how Tribble of Borg ever came into existence. After years of searching for Borg Incursions near the Tribble Homeworld, it is now obvious that the assimilated Tribbles were already living in the Delta Quadrant.

(To get back on some other topic...)

This just in from the Imperial News Network. Due to the news of a possible alliance between the Tribble Revolt and the Federation, the Klingon Empire has acquired a new ally in it's fight to stop the dreaded Undine and Tribbles...this creature is apparently called a Parasprite. It flies and with some genetic manipulation...can be made to eat anything.

Also, the remnants of the Tal Shiar has acquired help from an army of rogue Changlings under the rule of a Queen Chrysalis.

Stay tuned for more as the situation develops.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    gndrstnkgndrstnk Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Perhaps it would be best to ask other species in the Delta Quadrant about this area. They may give us information on this subject.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gndrstnk wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be best to ask other species in the Delta Quadrant about this area. They may give us information on this subject.
    I assume that is, in part, what the U.S.S. Callisto is doing. But there's a lot to document and discover in the early portions of the DQ - an area Voyager was never in - and the 1 AU anomaly just isn't as important as everything else. And really, it's about us learning what it is, not them. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I assume that is, in part, what the U.S.S. Callisto is doing. But there's a lot to document and discover in the early portions of the DQ - an area Voyager was never in - and the 1 AU anomaly just isn't as important as everything else. And really, it's about us learning what it is, not them. :)

I also have a record of the USS Enterprise and USS Rickson finding a Dyson Sphere ruled by a being known as "Ay-nab" in 2269, along with the Enterprise-D and Excalibur finding one in 2375.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You stated "So I'm wondering if that's how the Callisto got there so fast," referencing the Borg Hub. I was simply pointing out that a ship traveling warp 20-35 can get there VERY quickly even without a Transwarp Hub.

Sigh, that was not the intention so I edited out. My point was not the speed but the METHOD used to get there. Even if it used Slipstream, it still would've taken months. And since Cryptic is just randomly choosing numbers and making things up on the go, who knows.

I would be believable if they transported there via Transwarp Hub or the NR Iconian Gateway, which would explain why we never heard of the Callisto until now.

Thats why I said the Dev Team really needs to start thinking ahead and giving out teasers to the storylines. Just look at TNG how they gradually built up the story with the Borg after the first encounter, which made Best of Both Worlds so great! Or the buildup with the Dominion, how we started hearing a little about them.

So I feel Cryptic should do the same and build up the Callisto mission and then another leading to her departure for the Delta Quadrant and then WHAM she encounters that Dyson Sphere and calls in help, which is where we come in.

Don't you think that would hype up people more than "oh hey here's a sneak peek"?
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think I see where this is going... the Talaxian version of Tovan Khev! Coming soon to a crew near you! And you can't get rid of him!

We're all doomed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Another question: What is Barclay's current assignment? I understand that he is working with the SCE on this project, but is he current Captain of the Callisto?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sigh, that was not the intention so I edited out. My point was not the speed but the METHOD used to get there. Even if it used Slipstream, it still would've taken months. And since Cryptic is just randomly choosing numbers and making things up on the go, who knows.
    But even if it took months, so what? It's clearly a multi-year expedition - as they have 3 years more to go.

As for never hearing about it, again, so what? We don't hear about what any of the other ships are doing - ships we know about like the Enterprise F, Titan, or ships we have never heard of before.

Yes, it would be great if Cryptic published a monthly Federation News blog, telling us what the Ent F is doing and other selective ships. I'd love to see that happen, but I'm not going to hold it against Cryptic for not doing that. Heck, they even removed the Path to 2409 from the website. How important is the history compared to the event to them?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Another question: What is Barclay's current assignment? I understand that he is working with the SCE on this project, but is he current Captain of the Callisto?
    I assume he's working at the Array, or possibly at SFC. He's not a captain or out in space. That was never his thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Yes, it would be great if Cryptic published a monthly Federation News blog, telling us what the Ent F is doing and other selective ships.

The Star Trek Official Magazine is publishing stories on the Enterprise F, mostly centering around O'Brien.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2013
    Interesting!!!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Great, but where is my new lockbox?
    What should i do now with my 148 keys?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749