Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Dude, stop blaming the world for your situation. You want to know why an oil company needs to make 4 billion over 3.5? Go look in the mirror.

Corporations are beholden to their stockholders. If you have a 401k or investment portfolio you might own some oil company stock yourself and not even know it. When you invest in your retirement accounts you're expecting them to grow and make money for you over the coming years. That 3-15% yearly return doesn't get there by magic. It gets there because the companies you've invested in have made money - and generally the higher your return the more money they made.

People invest to make the most money they can. A corporation understands that if it doesn't make them enough money those people will sell the stock and move on to something else that will. Investors have no inherent loyalty to a corporation. They're in it for the money too.

So I'll say it again, if you're ticked-off by a corporation then go and look in the mirror. Go and look in your neighbors' faces. You're the ones driving that need for the corporation to make as much money as it can. It's not just some old guy puffing away on a cigar that wants more. We all do.

And none of that has anything to do with inflation. Hoarding money doesn't cause inflation. It causes recession. :)

Point exactly, people are out to make money on the game as well, if they can't do it by one means they will find other ways. This makes what is available on the exchange either increase in prices or simply short of supply because if someone can't make a decent profit, they will either hoard it till they can or simply vendor it, give it to an alt out of spite (not to say all do, but they are out there). After all hoarding of money is why so many nations are and still creeping out of a recession are they not? Real life economy and game economy are by far different, in real life the economy effects if you have a roof over your head and food on your plate. In a game it doesn't prevent either of those unless you spend all your real money in store goods, otherwise generated in game currency is just fun money, and to control how much people should earn because some people complain stuff costs to much is pretty petty and acting like a dictatorship or communism in game. A 15miliion ec item doesn't mean you have to buy it, and if a new player thinks it's too expensive well grind for a bit, and you can to afford it. But now by limiting income on ec's even further effects how long it will take to get that item even for new players, because odds are the pric isn't going down anytime soon. It basically makes it to having to depend on dilithium and zen to purchase goods to sell on exchange for new players to make more ec's until they can get doff's that can help generate income, or the rare chance of some VRmkxii item that sells well. It's a freaking game and who cares what the pixel economy is like, becuae no one say you have to buy at those prices get it some other way.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Point exactly, people are out to make money on the game as well, if they can't do it by one means they will find other ways. This makes what is available on the exchange either increase in prices or simply short of supply because if someone can't make a decent profit, they will either hoard it till they can or simply vendor it, give it to an alt out of spite (not to say all do, but they are out there). After all hoarding of money is why so many nations are and still creeping out of a recession are they not? Real life economy and game economy are by far different, in real life the economy effects if you have a roof over your head and food on your plate. In a game it doesn't prevent either of those unless you spend all your real money in store goods, otherwise generated in game currency is just fun money, and to control how much people should earn because some people complain stuff costs to much is pretty petty and acting like a dictatorship or communism in game. A 15miliion ec item doesn't mean you have to buy it, and if a new player thinks it's too expensive well grind for a bit, and you can to afford it. But now by limiting income on ec's even further effects how long it will take to get that item even for new players, because odds are the pric isn't going down anytime soon. It basically makes it to having to depend on dilithium and zen to purchase goods to sell on exchange for new players to make more ec's until they can get doff's that can help generate income, or the rare chance of some VRmkxii item that sells well. It's a freaking game and who cares what the pixel economy is like, becuae no one say you have to buy at those prices get it some other way.
    Your understanding of economics is so skewed, I don't even know where to begin. I suppose if I use your example of a real world economy, how about answering this question: Why doesn't the government just print up as much money as the people need? (Let's pretend that at least they don't admit that they are printing money). Can a country 'print' it's way to prosperity? If so, then why aren't all countries doing that? I think you are misinterpreting the nerf as a nerf to EC income. While that is true for the players that regularly run the Tour, it is really a nerf to EC generation (or the printing of money to use your example). From a purely economics view, earning EC from the tour is different than earning money from a job. The EC from the tour is 'created' by the system. It's NEW EC. It's like the mint printed up some money and gave it to you. In a real job, the money you earn is not 'new'. It is transferred to you from someone else (ie your employer, your customers, etc). The mint did not print up fresh dollars for you when you got your paycheck. That is the difference. Despite what you believe, it IS important for the in game 'play money' to have a stable economy. The devs have long term data to make the necessary adjustments. It happens. It will continue to happen.
    edited August 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Your understanding of economics is so skewed, I don't even know where to begin. I suppose if I use your example of a real world economy, how about answering this question: Why doesn't the government just print up as much money as the people need? (Let's pretend that at least they don't admit that they are printing money). Can a country 'print' it's way to prosperity? If so, then why aren't all countries doing that? I think you are misinterpreting the nerf as a nerf to EC income. While that is true for the players that regularly run the Tour, it is really a nerf to EC generation (or the printing of money to use your example). From a purely economics view, earning EC from the tour is different than earning money from a job. The EC from the tour is 'created' by the system. It's NEW EC. It's like the mint printed up some money and gave it to you. In a real job, the money you earn is not 'new'. It is transferred to you from someone else. The mint did not print up fresh dollars for you when you get your paycheck. That is the difference. Despite what you believe, it IS important for the in game 'play money' to have a stable economy. The devs have long term data to make the necessary adjustments. It happens. It will continue to happen.

I don't know what country you live in, but the US prints new money all the time ruining its value all the time. Money in itself is of no real value, the real power lies with those willing to accept it for the exchange of commodities and land. Inflation is from the need of more money do to short supply and/or cost of supply's increasing by others, or simple greed because everyone want more money. Recession is from a lack of money being spread evenly amongst the economy by the greedy hoarding it causing a country like the US to print more money and/or give tax breaks.

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know what country you live in, but the US prints new money all the time ruining its value all the time. Money in itself is of no real value, the real power lies with those willing to accept it for the exchange of commodities and land. Inflation is from the need of more money do to short supply and/or cost of supply's increasing by others, or simple greed because everyone want more money. Recession is from a lack of money being spread evenly amongst the economy by the greedy hoarding it causing a country like the US to print more money and/or give tax breaks.
    I really didn't want to get sucked back into this but...

You have a misconception about how wealth works. For example, Donald Trump has $3 billion dollars, but in actual cash he, personally, probably has less then $100 million - probably not even $50. The money is invested into businesses and property. He's not sitting around with billions in a box under his bed hoarding it and keeping it out of the economy. He has intentionally spent it on things. Things like stock certificates so that other companies have cash to pay employees, hire new employees, build new warehouses, etc. He's spent it on things like property where he's building new skyscrapers and employing construction, and management, and maintenance personnel.

The wealthy don't hoard the money. They invest it with the hopes of making x% of a return. They are not keeping the money all locked away and forcing the US government to print more money - which, in turn, causes more inflation. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    So I'll say it again, if you're ticked-off by a corporation then go and look in the mirror. Go and look in your neighbors' faces. You're the ones driving that need for the corporation to make as much money as it can. It's not just some old guy puffing away on a cigar that wants more. We all do.

While your point is perfectly valid, please don't compare the common man that we are to the cigar puffing Jabbas up on the exec's chair.

We are not the decision makers in any of this, as it's been amply demonstrated by now. We may be a factor in their decision making process, and collectively, yes, a big one at that, but have no real ability to influence anything.

As individuals, we have no weight on the process, and as a collective mass, we have no ability to control that weight. We might have, if we could think with one mind (and weed out all the stupid trolls), and dictate our terms and act on them. But as it stands, we are little more than commodity.

And i, for one, will not accept the blame for this state of affairs at the level of a decision maker, when my actual influence is negligible at best.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't know what country you live in, but the US prints new money all the time ruining its value all the time.
    And this is a good thing? Would you like to see the value of EC being ruined all the time? This is precisely why the supply of EC in STO needs to be kept in check.
    Inflation is from the need of more money do to short supply and/or cost of supply's increasing by others, or simple greed because everyone want more money.
    Absolutely incorrect. You have it the other way around. People's need/want/greed for money does not cause inflation, but rather inflation causes people to need/want more money. I've used this example before, but I'll repeat it. Let's say you are at a private art auction, and have $200 to bid on a particular painting. Now let's say that I go in there, and give everyone in the room $50, including you. What will happen to final bidding price? It pretty much will go up by $50. Does this mean the demand for the painting has increased? Has the painting suddenly become more desirable? No. It just means people have more money to bid up the price. But it's having more money in your pocket that has caused the price to go up, not because you suddenly want the painting more than before.
    edited August 2013
    And this is a good thing? Would you like to see the value of EC being ruined all the time? This is precisely why the supply of EC in STO needs to be kept in check.

Absolutely incorrect. You have it the other way around. People's need/want/greed for money does not cause inflation, but rather inflation causes people to need/want more money. I've used this example before, but I'll repeat it. Let's say you are at a private art auction, and have $200 to bid on a particular painting. Now let's say that I go in there, and give everyone in the room $50, including you. What will happen to final bidding price? It pretty much will go up by $50. Does this mean the demand for the painting has increased? Has the painting suddenly become more desirable? No. It just means people have more money to bid up the price. But it's having more money in your pocket that has caused the price to go up, not because you suddenly want the painting more than before.

I'm sorry but giving me an extra $50 when I can get the painting at $200 doesn't change anything unless someone bids higher than $200. All you did is give me an extra $50 to bid with if needed or stick it in my pocket if it doesn't go up. Inflation can and is effected by supply and demand quite often, if you are in short supply you will charge more so as not to possibly lose out if you run out. And if you are charged more to resupply yourself, than in fact you will charge more for your surplus sales!!! Yes it can be effected by people wanting more money, but my example is one of the reasons why people want more money in the first place. Either they are just simply greedy, or simply want more to afford more, and they could afford more if stuff didn't cost more!!!
    But real life has no comparison to a game economy when all EC's are is pixelated money that the game will generate at an infinite rate. The only reason you should have a moderate amount of control over how much it dishes out, is so people get the sense they are earning it, and not just simply thrown billions just for logging in. As far as thinking nerfing the tour does any good, let's review the earning potential of it now shall we? At a mere 350k for one toon in a given hour, with a once in a blue moon possibility that the next event comes around 4 hours after you could make a whole 700k for 6 hours on one toon. Now let's say the next one after those two doesn't come around until 16 hours later, so in 23 hours running all 3 events you would have made 1.05 million in 23 hours, or 45,652 ec's per hour!!! See the big picture now what the nerf has done for people's earnings in ec's? While it still pays decent (not good) for a short time it takes to get the 350k, it is squashed by other means of obtaining ec's in a given hour of time. This same principal applies to even the foundry because of how long it takes to begin re-earning ec's after completing them as well in a given 24 hour span.

• Options
    tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    102 pages later....Have they changed their minds yet.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    102 pages later....Have they changed their minds yet.

Brandon is trying to have the devs create Mk XX level shields before touching the thread with a ten-foot-pole. :)
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just read another thread that someone claimed that the Tour has been fixed - consider this a rumor at this point. Hmmm... Would that be a "Stealth Fix" ?
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sirokk wrote: »
    I just read another thread that someone claimed that the Tour has been fixed - consider this a rumor at this point. Hmmm... Would that be a "Stealth Fix" ?

If they did indeed put it back to what it was before than great!!! The earning potential per hour was really no better than a sector patrol. Now if they would boost the earnings from foundry missions we would be all set.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Another patch Thursday and no mention of the Tour. I have not been able to get on at a time the that Tour has been on to test it for a possible "stealth fix."

It would be nice to hear some response from Cryptic on the possibility of a compromise.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You never know what Devs may have up their sleeves. With all the new content they plan on releasing, there may be the need for speed again in one of them and possibly some new ec earning ways.
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    You never know what Devs may have up their sleeves. With all the new content they plan on releasing, there may be the need for speed again in one of them and possibly some new ec earning ways.

The devs destroyed that level of optimism for me a long long time ago. A new way of earning ec .... at least you made me laugh :P
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    The devs destroyed that level of optimism for me a long long time ago. A new way of earning ec .... at least you made me laugh :P

No change to the tour, still nerfed:(
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They are really pushing their luck, alienating their playerbase... They keep up this kind of douchebaggary, they're going to hurt their profit margins. Pissing players off is bad for business.

How dumb can these people get?
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On my fed character I finished the tour in 17 minutes. If my Romulan had the same stuff my fed did I am pretty sure he could make it in 15. This means that you can complete the tour 4 times (or 3.5 times if you are a bit slower)

MMOs have a very different economy than real life. For starters energy credits come into existence every minute and unless someone buys from an in game store they dont leave existence. This means that prices will always inflate (real countries would be in real trouble). Also our characters don't need to eat, and there is little need for energy credits....about the only need is to buy master keys. So it is possible that people will hord their items (no real cost associated with holding. In the real world the cost of storage would encourage someone to sell at a lower price. In STO there are no storage costs (if you leave the item on the exchange it won't take up inventory space.) Players will eventually earn enough to buy it (as energy credits come into existence). And someone will want that item bad enough to actually buy it. You should expect within an MMO that prices will increase. At this point the only thing that is going to get prices to fall is an increase in supply.
  • Options
    stephane2258stephane2258 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just found about it, I was on Risa for a while. What is the idea of a 4 hours cool down on an event that last one hour? I don't know what Cryptic think sometime. I can understand that game sometime need rebalancing. But if you find that player do too much cash with it, cut it down to 25000 per section instead of 50000, with a clear explanation. Don't put a cool down on an event that last one hour. I have build a character/ship that is good for the Tour. I don't want to have to change character to do it. With this character, I know when to activate my Quantum Slipstream to be relatively optimal. I surely not the only one to have done this, seeing the number of posts. There is not a lot of thing that you can do for easy credits.

Season 7 make me nearly leave, because I had to start Omega Rep from crash to get the missing pieces from the kits. And more, the anti-borg ship weapons where not existing anymore. Everything now cost a lot of Dilitium, even stuff you get after completing the rep. LoR convince me to come back. I admit that Cryptic have done a pretty good job with it. But they introduced a lot of bugs also, some that are still not fixed. And there is always annoyance like a 4 hours cool down on a 1 hour event. I don't know, I sometime seem like that every time they do something good, they must do annoyance like that to counter it.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2013
    Wow that sucks and oh look the original message was removed because Big Brother didn't like it. Branflakes, I know it's your job to be the target and that's pretty bad but it really doesn't help when a 100+ page thread has it's first message deleted.

For the record I am against this 4hr cooldown. Tour was the only way to get good EC for an hours grind if you could be bothered and it was actually pretty fun seeing people blasting around the universe even when not participating.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not flying the tour after Cryptic has destroyed the experience and the fun on this event.

Hope we will get the old tour back with a fix for that "exploit" that some people have used to shorten the tour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Wow that sucks and oh look the original message was removed because Big Brother didn't like it. Branflakes, I know it's your job to be the target and that's pretty bad but it really doesn't help when a 100+ page thread has it's first message deleted.

Most of the 100 pages are posts by the same people with the same arguments (both for and against).
    bpharma wrote: »
    For the record I am against this 4hr cooldown. Tour was the only way to get good EC for an hours grind if you could be bothered and it was actually pretty fun seeing people blasting around the universe even when not participating.

And obviously, you're not one of those that can be bothered to do it if you are only noticing now a whole month after the changes were made.

And there's a saying somewhere in here about a dead horse.
    edited August 2013
    And here i thought the thread was finally sinking
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Haven't bothered with the tour since they "fixed" it. I wonder what the stats are on whether more or fewer people are playing it now.

Also still waiting for prices to drop, as promised, on the exchange. Ha.
  • Options
    getabigdogupyougetabigdogupyou Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Haven't bothered with the tour since they "fixed" it. I wonder what the stats are on whether more or fewer people are playing it now.

Not played since the Nerf bat got swung.....only matter of time till they

NERF STFS WITH A 4 HOUR COOLDOWN SO WE CANT EXPLOIT the marks events..
  • Options
    edited August 2013

People still run it, but far fewer than used to. I do every now and then and pretend the devs don't hate me lol. But I don't bother with rp or di - doesn't matter anymore - and hence the spirit of a "race" is totally dead. Only reason to run it now is to farm a small amount of ec - yes FARM - exactly the thing I'm sure the devs didn't want.

Sarcasm on.....
    I bet this has been great for the sale of racing uniforms in the Zen store....
    Sarcasm off.....
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Please don't give them any more ideas.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Nah.

You see the nerf hammer that was swung at Tour is a truly "special" hammer.

This hammer sits in a vault deep in the bowels of Cryptic hq and is guarded by dragons and trolls. When it is needed, Branflakes goes to the vault wearing only a loinclothe showing off his extremely ripped and muscular body and has a sword strapped to his back named "Money". When the hammer is removed, it is said that the faint hum of angels and harps can be heard off in the distance and the Earth shudders beneath everyone's feet.

The hammer is then taken by Branflakes to his master, dStahl, in the highest tower of Cryptic hq. There, in his flowing dark purple robes, dStahl and Branflakes in his loinclothe must dance the Harlem shake so that the mood may be set for the use of this glorious hammer.

After the Shake, the two masters of their world must carefully consider their use of such a magnificent example of blacksmithing. You see, the hammer's use must catch all by surprise. It's use must only apply to the most innocent and harmless subjects of their realm. It's use should warrant songs for 40,000 nights and 1,000 posts. And above all else, it's use must be epic overkill. Finally, to keep the hordes of their minions appeased, anything at which the hammer is swung must be dragged through the mud, spit upon, and called vile names like "exploit". It is only then that dStahl may raise the hammer, with the sun shining brightly behind him highlighting his mighty outline, and bring it down in one final thunderous crushing blow.

After its use, Branflakes reverently carries the hammer back to its cold dark resting place, where it silently waits to summoned again. Branflakes then retreats to his own abode forgetting all that just happened.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Most of the 100 pages are posts by the same people with the same arguments (both for and against).

And obviously, you're not one of those that can be bothered to do it if you are only noticing now a whole month after the changes were made.

And there's a saying somewhere in here about a dead horse.

And yet here you are. . . :P
  • Options
    edited August 2013

AND, as I predicted, prices have actually risen bringing about a black market to obtain the same items at reasonable prices as other players EXPLOIT the needs of newer STO members through the exchange and call it 'fair value'....

nice job nerfing the one event I truly enjoyed and worked towards earning more effective means of accomplishing the task, which for at least 18 months (longer than I have been onboard) was an effective means of earning sufficient EC without having to be logged in 24/7 grinding away for mere pittance. You do realize that a vast majority of your user base have to earn a living and spend time with family, leaving precious little time for your mmo grindfests, do you not?

;)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    AND, as I predicted, prices have actually risen bringing about a black market to obtain the same items at reasonable prices as other players EXPLOIT the needs of newer STO members through the exchange and call it 'fair value'....

nice job nerfing the one event I truly enjoyed and worked towards earning more effective means of accomplishing the task, which for at least 18 months (longer than I have been onboard) was an effective means of earning sufficient EC without having to be logged in 24/7 grinding away for mere pittance. You do realize that a vast majority of your user base have to earn a living and spend time with family, leaving precious little time for your mmo grindfests, do you not?

;)

Odds are if prices are to ever fall it will take months, unfortunately with new releases on boxes that will stifle it even longer. I predicted before hand that prices wouldn't be stagnate or become inflated as people are making less EC's for the given time played.

This discussion has been closed.