Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    kineticimpulserkineticimpulser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Nah.

You see the nerf hammer that was swung at Tour is a truly "special" hammer.

This hammer sits in a vault deep in the bowels of Cryptic hq and is guarded by dragons and trolls. When it is needed, Branflakes goes to the vault wearing only a loinclothe showing off his extremely ripped and muscular body and has a sword strapped to his back named "Money". When the hammer is removed, it is said that the faint hum of angels and harps can be heard off in the distance and the Earth shudders beneath everyone's feet.

The hammer is then taken by Branflakes to his master, dStahl, in the highest tower of Cryptic hq. There, in his flowing dark purple robes, dStahl and Branflakes in his loinclothe must dance the Harlem shake so that the mood may be set for the use of this glorious hammer.

After the Shake, the two masters of their world must carefully consider their use of such a magnificent example of blacksmithing. You see, the hammer's use must catch all by surprise. It's use must only apply to the most innocent and harmless subjects of their realm. It's use should warrant songs for 40,000 nights and 1,000 posts. And above all else, it's use must be epic overkill. Finally, to keep the hordes of their minions appeased, anything at which the hammer is swung must be dragged through the mud, spit upon, and called vile names like "exploit". It is only then that dStahl may raise the hammer, with the sun shining brightly behind him highlighting his mighty outline, and bring it down in one final thunderous crushing blow.

After its use, Branflakes reverently carries the hammer back to its cold dark resting place, where it silently waits to summoned again. Branflakes then retreats to his own abode forgetting all that just happened.

Threadwinner.

I disagree with the proposition that the cooldown somehow ruins the economy... but this post is poetry. The only reason to keep this thread open is to sing the praises of the poster and his wordsmithing. :)
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We can all thank the whiners who kept harping on about exploit this and exploit that. This in turn gave Cryptic carte blanche to nerf the living hell out of it. You showed them! You QQing bastages.:D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited August 2013
    Threadwinner.

I disagree with the proposition that the cooldown somehow ruins the economy... but this post is poetry. The only reason to keep this thread open is to sing the praises of the poster and his wordsmithing. :)

I concur with the praise, but the cooldown is still a nerf. :)
  • Options
    kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Odds are if prices are to ever fall it will take months, unfortunately with new releases on boxes that will stifle it even longer. I predicted before hand that prices wouldn't be stagnate or become inflated as people are making less EC's for the given time played.

Rainmaking is always more of an art than a science, isn't it?
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,867 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    [I]Originally Posted by sneyeper View Post
    Nah.

You see the nerf hammer that was swung at Tour is a truly "special" hammer.

This hammer sits in a vault deep in the bowels of Cryptic hq and is guarded by dragons and trolls. When it is needed, Branflakes goes to the vault wearing only a loinclothe showing off his extremely ripped and muscular body and has a sword strapped to his back named "Money". When the hammer is removed, it is said that the faint hum of angels and harps can be heard off in the distance and the Earth shudders beneath everyone's feet.

The hammer is then taken by Branflakes to his master, dStahl, in the highest tower of Cryptic hq. There, in his flowing dark purple robes, dStahl and Branflakes in his loinclothe must dance the Harlem shake so that the mood may be set for the use of this glorious hammer.

After the Shake, the two masters of their world must carefully consider their use of such a magnificent example of blacksmithing. You see, the hammer's use must catch all by surprise. It's use must only apply to the most innocent and harmless subjects of their realm. It's use should warrant songs for 40,000 nights and 1,000 posts. And above all else, it's use must be epic overkill. Finally, to keep the hordes of their minions appeased, anything at which the hammer is swung must be dragged through the mud, spit upon, and called vile names like "exploit". It is only then that dStahl may raise the hammer, with the sun shining brightly behind him highlighting his mighty outline, and bring it down in one final thunderous crushing blow.

After its use, Branflakes reverently carries the hammer back to its cold dark resting place, where it silently waits to summoned again. Branflakes then retreats to his own abode forgetting all that just happened))
    End

Threadwinner...
    how can we let this happened?..a one sided solution with no input whatsoever from the community as opposed to the whiners from Foundry or PVP who only have threads less than 10 pages long or so yet whatever they whined about gets resolved really quickly.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Will you pathetic whiners get over it? They fixed an exploit and had every right to fix it as they own the game.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sir, you are a troll, and frankly quite beneath most people you're trying to demean here.

I know it's not the most civilized thing to say, but it's true, and someone has to say it.

Please go away.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2013
    You're supposed ot do the entire tour silly people. :P
    I would start the tour.... usually 10 minutes late... complete the tour, then use what ever time's left to get as far as i can in a a repeat. Seamed fair. The faster your ship, and your navigation skills, the more EC you were rewarded... until they dulled this out with a 1 lap limiter... kinda makes me not interested in doing the race anymore. I had a 2 lap personal record waiting for me to beat.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    Sir, you are a troll, and frankly quite beneath most people you're trying to demean here.

I know it's not the most civilized thing to say, but it's true, and someone has to say it.

Please go away.

Regardless of the presentation, his statement was factually correct (according to Cryptic).
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If nothing else, though his question was nothing but inflamatory garbage for which i'm not sure i'm allowed to use the proper language to describe here.

It's people like this lady that have consistently brought the level of this thread straight down, and it's honestly becoming quite the annoyance.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    People still run it, but far fewer than used to. I do every now and then and pretend the devs don't hate me lol. But I don't bother with rp or di - doesn't matter anymore - and hence the spirit of a "race" is totally dead. Only reason to run it now is to farm a small amount of ec - yes FARM - exactly the thing I'm sure the devs didn't want.

Sarcasm on.....
    I bet this has been great for the sale of racing uniforms in the Zen store....
    Sarcasm off.....
    That too is true. DI and RP are basically pointless now.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That too is true. DI and RP are basically pointless now.

Yep, I don't even require points in driver coil for my newest toon nor a transwarp engine. 30mins is all it takes at warp 10 weak sauce. Pretty much makes the reason for transwarp engines, di, and driver coil boost pointless. Oh and the weak 45k+ ec earning potential per hour the tour is now worth.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If nothing else, though his question was nothing but inflamatory garbage for which i'm not sure i'm allowed to use the proper language to describe here.

It's people like this lady that have consistently brought the level of this thread straight down, and it's honestly becoming quite the annoyance.

Would you like some tissues? They fixed an exploit and had every right to fix it as they own the game.

It's people like you that result in my sarcastic cracks on this forum.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sir you don't have the capacity to rattle me beyond your own self-embarassment.

And if people like me resulted in sarcastic cracks, i'd actually be quite happy about that. Certainly better than the TRIBBLE self-righteous inflammatory trolling brought on by people of the same intellect range as yourself. Not that you'd know.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,867 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mindmage2 wrote: »
    Will you pathetic whiners get over it? They fixed an exploit and had every right to fix it as they own the game.

If this ain't a TROLL...don't know what else is? Branflakes are you talking GOOD NOTES :P

Guess some do need their mommas wash their mouths with SOAP :D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

So close. This thread hadn't been posted in for two days, and it was down to page 5. I thought that was the end of it.

GAH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Points for tenacity, though, don't you think?
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Points for tenacity, though, don't you think?

Tenacity has some positive connotations. This is just mulishness.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Tenacity has some positive connotations. This is just mulishness.

Post of the week. It's not even close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I am NOT going to the dictionary for that word.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    AND, as I predicted, prices have actually risen bringing about a black market to obtain the same items at reasonable prices as other players EXPLOIT the needs of newer STO members through the exchange and call it 'fair value'....

nice job nerfing the one event I truly enjoyed and worked towards earning more effective means of accomplishing the task, which for at least 18 months (longer than I have been onboard) was an effective means of earning sufficient EC without having to be logged in 24/7 grinding away for mere pittance. You do realize that a vast majority of your user base have to earn a living and spend time with family, leaving precious little time for your mmo grindfests, do you not?

;)

Guess they missed that about their 'target' audience.
  • Options
    ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Back there, somewhere I proposed that they did not, in fact, step on the bug. I've been running tour ever since, and getting the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF EC as I did before. It's just spread out over several Toons.

Here's the gig: you DI/RP a character before the event and park them in ESD at the club. Stack several characters in there, all with fast ships and SSR warp drives.

Then, when you get to Pelia (on the standard route), instead of transwarping back for the next round, you change characters and start a new loop. Instead of one character looping 3-4 times, I'm stuffing 4 characters through with time to spare.

For those people using the short route, same thing, just with more characters.

Frankly I kinda like it this way. Now I can run reputation stuff on all my characters simultaneously rather than having them run Tour, one after another, sometimes waiting weeks to get a new influx of cash.

A creative person might even find a seductive way to exploit the Exchange system to pass EC from character to character. And thus re-condence the money that had to be won, spread out.

No exploits have been killed, they just changed the nature of the exploits. THose who still want it can still get it.
    :P
  • Options
    misslillicaluxmisslillicalux Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't even begin to describe how furious I am with this. Even before the corvette, my humble LRSVR with the proper equipment and an astrometrics scientist could run the short route and even with every possible transwarp cooldown, I would still have a 15 second wait in Pelia before I could TW back to ESD. I could make 4.5+ mil in an hour.

BUT NOOOOOOO.

Some dickbag had to go and spoil it for everyone. This was the one non-grind way to make EC. Why is it important? Because of all the price-gouging on the exchange. Now we get to go back to the endless, soul-crushing grindfest.

Also, PWE, I think you owe me 1000 zen for the Advanced Heavy Cruiser I bought so I could put the transwarp computer universal console it came with on my LRSVR to maximize my transwarp cooldown, since you "fixed" the only reason I bought it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just think it's so awesome all the bugfest i've encountered in this game that apparetly goes back for months, that i've submitted tickets to (tailors crashing the game, Rom boffs unavailable at the doctor, friggin first contact missions impossible to progress) going on ignored, while the things that take priority for them are the stuff that players actually benefit from.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Well I shall run the race once more solely for the accolade after that I shall never look up on it again. Although it was a decent chunk of my income gone. As the Borg would say "we've Adapted" and I have done just that through various other methods, but it still stinks that they can find time to fix this but have yet to sort the tailor issues (which worked fine for me before before the alterations) And yes I am miffed that it was nerf'd but like a few have pointed out it was an exploit plain and simple, so I'm just thankful they didn't make the decision to roll back everyone's account that made use of it (I'd be a couple of hundred million in the red)
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Haven't run the tour in over two weeks now, just doesn't seem worth my time anymore. but hey nice job *not* fixing those other more serious tailor or fleet bugs (sic) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So... people are losing their minds because they can no longer EXPLOIT something?

For some, sure. The problem for others is Cryptic's heavy-handed approach to it. A 4-hour cooldown on an event that only lasts an hour and does not appear on schedule but maybe twice in a 24 hour period seems a bit excessive. Some might say a smack in the face.

You could legitimately run the event several times in that hour just as you could run several STFs in during an hour of the reputation event.

Cryptic could have closed the exploit and allowed players who wanted to enjoy the event for the whole hour make as many complete runs as they could. They chose, even after a thread full of good suggestions, to nerf it in about as strict a manner as possible.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    it makes me ill.

You are ill.

Not in a clinical sense, of course, i'd ne'er gainsay your good health, but if you come here and whine about the whiners, that's probably the only action that's below what you perceive we're doing here.

Not to dump it all on you, of course, we've had worse customers in this thread, and i wholeheartedly direct this message at each and every one of them.

Whatever we're doing here, for whatever insane reason that offends you so, the mods have not yet seen fit to shut this thread down. Until such time as they do, whatever it is we're talking about here is our own business (since Cryptic will quite obviously not make it theirs, jokes about constructive criticism notwithstanding).

So, all you self-righteous ladies want to play in the sand too, it's an open thread, but please, for your own sake, don't go thinking you have some sort of high ground on any level just because you act like you're outraged. You're free to, of course, but it's just not healthy.
  • Options
    wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Their game. They can choose to be as strict or lenient as they like.

Obviously. If they choose to relent a bit or not on this, it's their call.

They did ask for feedback though and I'd certainly argue that the method they chose was not the best approach.
This discussion has been closed.