What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Summer Giveaway Announcement!

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so in other words its a give away for the people who don't spend money on the game and a big sod off too the people who pay sub/lifetime/zen

nice to know that my sub and zen i purchased gets rewarded with everyone who didn't bother to support the game or spend cash getting what i payed for

Did you stop to think that it might be a ploy to get more folks to spend more money?

Oh...new costume! Hrmm, I like my costumes...I need more costume slots! Oh, they're on sale - yeah, let me get some. /cough

Oh...new ship! Hrmm, I don't have a free slot to claim it (and either fly it or get at the console on it)...I need more ship slots! /cough

You know, neither the costume nor ship fit any of my current toons but I can see a toon using them...I need more character slots! /cough

Just saying...they're probably going to make money from it. Combination of folks already having the items, items that folks rarely buy to begin with, needing to buy various new slots, and the general good feeling it will generate in some about the company...etc, etc, etc.
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dont mind people having free stuff but would you pay for something that everyone else gets for nothing

idk about you but the sub i pay monthly may not be a fortune too most but after paying bills,food shopping and clothing kids its the little money that i get that i get to spend on something that is for myself, and the above post of insinuating that i am a child having a tantrum no i am not
    i am simply stating that the free give away is for the people who haven't already payed money to get what is going to be free and the people who basicly help fund a F2P game get stuffed because they have those items

As you do not know what the items are yet, you CANNOT say with absolute certainty that paying customers (such as myself) will already own them so your line about paying customers getting stuffed is all about how YOU feel.

Would I pay for something everyone else gets for nothing? Already do. I pay for a mortgage on my home, whilst those without work or income can get accommodation for free (social housing). Technically my taxes have paid for their housing.
    A strong example, maybe, as it is not the same as this give-away.
    However, your attitude towards EVERYONE getting a freebie that you might already have is absurd. It does not hurt you in any way for someone to be given a gift (a gift you may well receive yourself unless you have literally purchased every item in the game from the c-store already) regardless of their paying status. The free give-away is for EVERYONE. I cannot stress this enough. If you already own every item in the C-store, good for you. If you don't, maybe you will get lucky and get an item you do not own (whether you use/like/want it is irrelevant, it is free to you also).

Seriously, if the idea of a free give-away bothers you so much, cancel your subscription in protest and leave the game and forums altogether.

Honestly, some people, if offered a $10 bill on the streets would complain it wasn't a $20 bill. Some might say "Thanks, but I have plenty. Nice of you to offer though.". Yet others would say "What's the catch? What do I have to do to "earn" your "gift"?". I am going to simply say "Thanks. That's kind of you."
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well for those of us that have it, wish they'd get round to a Fleet D'kyer.

lets have a Suurok class instead as a fleet ship

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Suurok_class i

or maybe this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLXjcqfCSqY#at=41
    i don;t know the name, but it appears on screen breifly in ENT as a schematic

I wouldn't mind either of these as they are designated COMBAT CRUISERS
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've come to the conclusion that one of these freebies is going to be a high-end reward, and I'm not pushing two of my characters hoping to get them to level #50 before Friday. Eeeek!!
    dont mind people having free stuff but would you pay for something that everyone else gets for nothing
    It its the odd item, then I don't really care, no.

I'm a lifetime member (as of June this year). I get costumes, ships, bridge officer slots, ship slots, unique skins and some unique ships too; that and a free ship per character (a retrofit). I'm not going to be complaining about it.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    orici1701orici1701 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I purchased a sub, I buy zen and I don't own everything in C-store. I might get something I don't own as a freebie.
    It's not a "big sod off" to me.
    Perhaps you simply don't like other children having the same toys as you?

and your thick and dont look at all the facts, alot of people have paid for alot from the store and they wont get free stuff. thats not fair for them, its big sod off to them they should do it differnt, if you already have that item you get something else so its fair for all.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    orici1701 wrote: »
    and your thick and dont look at all the facts, alot of people have paid for alot from the store and they wont get free stuff. thats not fair for them, its big sod off to them they should do it differnt, if you already have that item you get something else so its fair for all.

And you, my friend, need to read all of the posts involved before posting yourself.
    Firstly, it is against forum posting rules to directly insult a person (calling me thick when you used your instead of you're would suggest it is not me who is thick).
    Secondly, the original poster I was responding to intimated it was ALL paying subscribers/zen buyers getting stuffed by this offer when it is clear it is not. Simple matter to prove this... I am a subscriber and I'm not getting stuffed so the premise is wrong already.
    Thirdly, whilst a lot of people have bought a lot of items/ships/etc. from the c-store, there will be many paying customers have not bought ALL of the items (every single unlock, ship, costume, pack, weapon, etc.). As we do not know with certainty what the freebies are, it is unreasonable to assume that EVERY SINGLE PAYING CUSTOMER will not get at least 1 item they do not already own.

Seriously, stop suggesting that paying players are getting "stuffed". They will likely get free stuff too... hardly a stuffing where I'm from.

I'll give you a for instance.

When the EVA suits were brought out they were a "per toon" unlock, despite being a costume. Quite a few forum-goers complained about the price and that they were per toon. Many of these forum-goers stated they would NOT be buying the EVA suits.
    If the give-away includes the EVA suits, many of those same forum-goers will happily take them for free as they did not purchase them.
    There will be those who bought them who may moan about them now being free, but there will be many who are not petulant children and will not begrudge fellow players getting them for free.

Personally, I think Virusdancer had it right (as have a few others, here and there). These freebies (especially for the f2p players) may well encourage a few "microtransactions" as those players realise they need an extra ship slot, costume slot, character slot, to get the most out of the freebies. These transactions will boost the game through an influx of cash and make every f2p player into a one-time spender at least. Once they have bought something, will you stop thinking of them as leeches?
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”

• Options
    keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know that there have been a few posts about people hoping for the D'kyr to be the ship on Friday, but I personally am hoping for the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit.
  • Options
    eternalstrikeseternalstrikes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There will be starships :) Several, in fact. There are no tokens or boosts planned for the giveaway.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, I do appreciate this kind of promo. However, with only 6 months of playing this game, I already purchase LTS (at full price since I never thought of there will be a promo for LTS), almost all of federation side starship, legacy pack (which means all romulan starship except the dreadnought), half of the klingon starship, and tons of those evil keys to open those devil boxes (I have bad luck in any gambling :mad:).

So, maybe a promo box where inside have 10K fleet mark, 10K rommie mark, 10K nukara mark, and 10K omega mark for each character with out any gambling involve will be much appreciated. ;)

I just hate grinding, so next promo could probably have something like this. Thanks in advance. :D
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is in no way a "sod off" to those of us who have spent money on this game over the years. If they gave away a secondary item to the people who already bought one of the items given away, then there would be those who would complain that they wanted the secondary item instead.

I do believe that this is intentionally aimed at the ones who haven't spent anything in the C-store though. They may not know what they are missing out on. Give them a little taste of some free lower tier premium items and hook them in to buy more stuff later on. It's a simple (but very effective) marketing tactic that I've seen used time and again when I worked in major retail. It's extremely common to have promotions aimed at potential new customers.

Besides, unless you have everything in the C-store, you might get a few free items anyway. I don't have any C-store KDF ships so I know I'll be getting some of those bad boys. Just roll with it and enjoy it for what it is. It's not a big deal. Really, it isn't.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So the vesta is not included in this giveaway? That will be a shame. the only ship that i miss is the vesta.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so in other words its a give away for the people who don't spend money on the game and a big sod off too the people who pay sub/lifetime/zen

nice to know that my sub and zen i purchased gets rewarded with everyone who didn't bother to support the game or spend cash getting what i payed for

WOW... the promotion hasn't even begun yet and you had to go there... :rolleyes:

I too, have been playing the game since day one and have purchased just about everything in the C-Store.

I want it made abundantly clear that I Do Not In Any Way, personally share the feeling you just expressed.

Perhaps in the future you should leave out the All Inclusive Parts when posting your own personal feelings.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And you, my friend, need to read all of the posts involved before posting yourself.
    Firstly, it is against forum posting rules to directly insult a person (calling me thick when you used your instead of you're would suggest it is not me who is thick).
    Secondly, the original poster I was responding to intimated it was ALL paying subscribers/zen buyers getting stuffed by this offer when it is clear it is not. Simple matter to prove this... I am a subscriber and I'm not getting stuffed so the premise is wrong already.
    Thirdly, whilst a lot of people have bought a lot of items/ships/etc. from the c-store, there will be many paying customers have not bought ALL of the items (every single unlock, ship, costume, pack, weapon, etc.). As we do not know with certainty what the freebies are, it is unreasonable to assume that EVERY SINGLE PAYING CUSTOMER will not get at least 1 item they do not already own.

Seriously, stop suggesting that paying players are getting "stuffed". They will likely get free stuff too... hardly a stuffing where I'm from.

I'll give you a for instance.

When the EVA suits were brought out they were a "per toon" unlock, despite being a costume. Quite a few forum-goers complained about the price and that they were per toon. Many of these forum-goers stated they would NOT be buying the EVA suits.
    If the give-away includes the EVA suits, many of those same forum-goers will happily take them for free as they did not purchase them.
    There will be those who bought them who may moan about them now being free, but there will be many who are not petulant children and will not begrudge fellow players getting them for free.

Personally, I think Virusdancer had it right (as have a few others, here and there). These freebies (especially for the f2p players) may well encourage a few "microtransactions" as those players realise they need an extra ship slot, costume slot, character slot, to get the most out of the freebies. These transactions will boost the game through an influx of cash and make every f2p player into a one-time spender at least. Once they have bought something, will you stop thinking of them as leeches?

if its account unlocks thats good but as for ships ive got 90% of them and would like one of the other 10 i dont have so meh and nore do i care what others want i only care if i have it and im missing out lol
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    orici1701 wrote: »
    if its account unlocks thats good but as for ships ive got 90% of them and would like one of the other 10 i dont have so meh and nore do i care what others want i only care if i have it and im missing out lol

It IS account unlocks. Branflakes has confirmed this repeatedly.
    I hope you DO get one of the 10% of ships you don't have, I really do. But your attitude of not caring about other players and only thinking of yourself makes me pity you. Adding lol at the end of a sentence does not make it funny but putting a full-stop would at least make it a sentence. LOL.

• Options
    gamerjoshgamerjosh Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just to ensure it's clear, "throughout the week" doesn't mean "each day" and I sincerely apologize if I caused any confusion or set different expectations. To give more info, Monday-Wednesday are around the same value*, Thursday is higher and Friday is even higher. If my calculations are correct, it's over 7500 ZEN worth of free items if you have eligible** characters to claim them all -- some days (3, Wed-Fri) there will be a Fed and KDF ship that can be claimed for a total of 8 items.

*I just realized that Wednesday's items are actually just slightly less in value ZEN wise than Monday/ Tuesday's, but you may find more value in it depending on what you're hoping for (small craft vs. costume, *hint hint*)

**Example: To be eligible to claim a T3 KDF ship, you'd need a Klingon that is at least at level 20 with an available ship slot.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Will there be any new cstore items to be given away? Lots of folks, myself included already have most of the c store unlocked.
    Belief manifests reality
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gamerjosh wrote: »
    Will there be any new cstore items to be given away? Lots of folks, myself included already have most of the c store unlocked.

No Romulan stuff
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No Romulan stuff

I know this. It wasn't my question
    Belief manifests reality
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gamerjosh wrote: »
    I know this. It wasn't my question
    Well, the reasoning for none of the Rom C-store stuff being included is because it's too new, so by extension it would be reasonable to conclude that nothing else that's less than two months old in the C-store is going to be included.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It IS account unlocks. Branflakes has confirmed this repeatedly.
    I hope you DO get one of the 10% of ships you don't have, I really do. But your attitude of not caring about other players and only thinking of yourself makes me pity you. Adding lol at the end of a sentence does not make it funny but putting a full-stop would at least make it a sentence. LOL.

its called being truthful, as stuff effects me that i wont get/miss out on. im not one of the lazy players who want the freebies like ships they give out in the winter and summer events i do the event to get it and i finish them. thats where the not bothered about them comes from as they are too lazy and start and are not arsed about doing it every day it takes mins..

lazyness is not a excuse to get one, if u really want to stuff pull ur finger out and do it. dont TRIBBLE other events up cos ur lazy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, the reasoning for none of the Rom C-store stuff being included is because it's too new, so by extension it would be reasonable to conclude that nothing else that's less than two months old in the C-store is going to be included.

Then maybe I should stop spending so much time making dilithium into zen, if they're just gonna end up giving away for free what I already bought. Now I'm disappointed that I might not get anything new during the giveaway.
    Belief manifests reality
  • Options
    auric2000auric2000 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's the risk you run. People should be glad there's a giveaway like this at all. :)
  • Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The fan in me says "thanks!"

The cynic in me wonders what you all screwed up so badly that you need to inoculate the community against it. I'm guessing it has something to do with lock boxes if only because of the impending retirement of the Tal Shiar box. Granted I'm not sure what you COULD TRIBBLE up with lockboxes since they're a pretty transparent con in the first place.

Seriously though, I'm betting there is some very, very bad news coming in a week's time, once they've got the players reasonably contented with giveaways they'll serve it up.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    msk5 wrote: »

The cynic in me wonders what you all screwed up so badly that you need to inoculate the community against it. I'm guessing it has something to do with lock boxes if only because of the impending retirement of the Tal Shiar box. Granted I'm not sure what you COULD TRIBBLE up with lockboxes since they're a pretty transparent con in the first place.

Seriously though, I'm betting there is some very, very bad news coming in a week's time, once they've got the players reasonably contented with giveaways they'll serve it up.

"Sorry, Pools closed all, stos closing down as our overlords have found better ways to bleed you dry...so..so long and thanks for all the fish..err, zen?"

:P
  • Options
    oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    msk5 wrote: »

Would be the other way arround in this case.

but its funny, how the typical human behavior shows up, it seems we as a species simply CAN NOT be happy with things we get, its impossible for a lot of people, to just be happy about something, allways paranoid, allways waiting for something bad...

isnt that a very sad way of viewing the world?
  • Options
    deklak1deklak1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the ships i hope they give away :

Tactical Escort Retrofit.
    Vulcan D'kyr.
    Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit.

and where i dream off :

1 of the 3 vesta ships
    1 of the 3 andorain ships
    1 of the 3 bortasqu ships
    Armitage carrier

i hope one of these ships come :):)
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited August 2013

idk about you but the sub i pay monthly may not be a fortune too most but after paying bills,food shopping and clothing kids its the little money that i get that i get to spend on something that is for myself, and the above post of insinuating that i am a child having a tantrum no i am not

i am simply stating that the free give away is for the people who haven't already payed money to get what is going to be free and the people who basicly help fund a F2P game get stuffed because they have those items

Hi. I am one of the people you are talking about. Even after bills...I have no extra money save for gas and food. I do what I can to support the game though.

And yes, you are being spoiled or at least that is how it comes off. You have the money for getting a lifetime sub and Zen. Read the above and let me add in I am a Disabled Adult on a fixed income from the government. I also have a child I pay child support for.

I for one am glad and thank Cryptic greatly for this even if at least one of my characters can't use any of it due to level.

Oh and do please learn to use spell check, your shift key, and proper punctuation in the future. It will improve your post quality immensely in the future.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'm usually on the other side of this argument, bringing to bear the evils of PWE, but don't you think you're being just a mite silly here!? So, your (rather contrived) beef is now they are giving you "a big sod off" because you already own items from the C-store, and there's a good chance you may already own what they offer you for free!? *boggle*

Like I said above, I'm known to love to hate PWE, but always for real reasons. Finding fault with them, however, just for the sake of finding fault, only detracts from people having legitimate concerns. And makes you look silly in the process. So, don't.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Whatever free stuff is on offer I'll happily accept. Many thanks. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • Options
    admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lord7tareq wrote: »
    Lame, so its a promotional event for only 2 out of 3 factions? What a joke.:mad:

OMFG, I knew this would happen, they give away free stuff without any grind, running races, flying around and people still ***** about it.

For Shame, for shame.
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Would like to know what will happen if a certain person have same item already unlocked on day of giveaway?.
    Do we get another one or not?.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    Would like to know what will happen if a certain person have same item already unlocked on day of giveaway?.
    Do we get another one or not?.

Nope. If you already have the item, you get nothing special for the day.

Like people who love costumes probably won't get anything first day or two, as they have a lot of costume options unlocked I'm betting.

Those who love ships may hate the end of the week, depending on what goes up for free.

EDIT: I'm not knocking the promotion at all. Giving away free stuff for supporting a game is great! If I already have it, yeah, I hate it, but Cryptic/PWE wouldn't be around to give the promotion if it weren't for paying customers of one kind or another in the first place so give them a break (those being hard on them).