test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Summer Giveaway Announcement!

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do these people go to 7-11 on July 11th, and complain because folks are getting free slurpees, and they had to pay for theirs yesterday?

I seriously do not comprehend this mindset, where because something is free (or even less expensive) now and not then, that this somehow lowers the value of the item you paid full price for before. Should I be demanding a refund from Fry's because the computer I bought a few years ago for about $800 is now closer to $400?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    The envy and greed is strong in this thread now. Envy over someone getting something free that they paid for. greed in wanting compensation for already buying it.

5 years ago I bought a TV for $1000, the next week the same TV was put into a promotional giveaway along with some other items. A few lucky customers who signed up for a card had a chance to win the TV or one of the other items. I already had a card and I already had bought the TV, I was happy for whoever won it. Good for them! I hope they enjoy it as much as I do! That was a $1000 dollar item being given away a week after I purchased it. I find people whining about a $25 or $5.50 item to be despicable.

I have a purchased outfit and a purchased ship, If both of those end up being one of the prizes... To those that do not have them I say this. I am happy for you :D:).
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know this is probably a really stupid question but I'll ask and take the heat.

All of the freebie stuff is account wide, so it makes me wonder. Is it free for that day only, or once you click "claim" is it permanently unlocked?
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know this is probably a really stupid question but I'll ask and take the heat.

All of the freebie stuff is account wide, so it makes me wonder. Is it free for that day only, or once you click "claim" is it permanently unlocked?

If it works in the same way as the purchase, which I think it does, then it will be a permanent unlock. Though I am only guessing here.
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I seriously do not comprehend this mindset, where because something is free (or even less expensive) now and not then, that this somehow lowers the value of the item you paid full price for before. Should I be demanding a refund from Fry's because the computer I bought a few years ago for about $800 is now closer to $400?
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The envy and greed is strong in this thread now. Envy over someone getting something free that they paid for. greed in wanting compensation for already buying it.

5 years ago I bought a TV for $1000, the next week the same TV was put into a promotional giveaway along with some other items. A few lucky customers who signed up for a card had a chance to win the TV or one of the other items. I already had a card and I already had bought the TV, I was happy for whoever won it. Good for them! I hope they enjoy it as much as I do! That was a $1000 dollar item being given away a week after I purchased it. I find people whining about a $25 or $5.50 item to be despicable.

Neither of you (and many others) do not understand what is actually happening here. Both of your analogies are totally wrong for what this is. To put it into your terms though, what PWE is doing here is selling 'me' a TV today for $1000, and tomorrow is giving everyone that same TV for free except to 'me', because 'I' already bought it yesterday. This isn't about greed or lolenvy, its about equilibrium.

You can twist it whatever way you want, but this is basically punishment by exclusion. It isn't about what someone else is getting, it is about being excluded from it by virtue of being a 'customer' and not a 'freeloader'.

Now we can go back and forth about what defines a customer or a freeloader till the zombie apocalypse, it doesn't change anything. You choosing to see it differently, does nothing to change what it is.

I'm not even saying Cryptic is doing this maliciously, their intentions are most likely on the up and up. But dismissing the critics who see the writing on the wall and feel free to read it out loud is not going to make you any less wrong about it.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Not a stupid question at all.
    The way Branflakes explained it, the "price" of the item is being reduced to 0 zen. Claim it as though you paid for it and it is unlocked permanently. You must claim it on the day in question but, once claimed it is unlocked for all toons on an account.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    If it works in the same way as the purchase, which I think it does, then it will be a permanent unlock. Though I am only guessing here.
    The way Branflakes explained it, the "price" of the item is being reduced to 0 zen. Claim it as though you paid for it and it is unlocked permanently. You must claim it on the day in question but, once claimed it is unlocked for all toons on an account.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Hopefully that is the case.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited August 2013

What he says.

If you don't grab it that day, you won't get it the Next day. Easy as that.

TODAY; GRAB IT.
    TOMORROW; FORGET IT. (If you are fighting a war, at Work/school/bar or whatever. Tough luck...

What Branflakes said should/ought to be pretty clear.

(disclaimer: non-English speaking people and/or under the age of 16 explicitly excepting understanding.) (Sorry. Had to say it) (Disclaimer: Did not mean to insult anyone. Anyone).
    /Floozy
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As somebody who is moving and won't get my computer back up until tomorrow evening, I'm looking at it this way:

If it's an item I don't have? Free item! Yay!

If it's an item I do have? Great. I'm not missing anything I wouldn't miss anyway by not logging in. Good deal. I have other stuff to do.

As for Romulans being left out...

None of the items being given away are explicitly Romulan, no.

HOWEVER... Small craft/shuttles, lower tier ships, and off duty costumes are usable by Romulans. So it would appear to me that 3 days or so of this promotion will be usable by Romulans.

Day one is Fed only. Day five is a T5 ship, almost certainly.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday all appear to offer things a Romulan CAN use.

And while Klingons may only get rewards for 4 out of the 5 days, Klingon C-Store ships are generally better than Fed C-Store ships with a few exceptions. And you can claim rewards both sides so roll up a Fed to claim Monday's reward.
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chainfall wrote: »
    Neither of you (and many others) do not understand what is actually happening here. Both of your analogies are totally wrong for what this is. To put it into your terms though, what PWE is doing here is selling 'me' a TV today for $1000, and tomorrow is giving everyone that same TV for free except to 'me', because 'I' already bought it yesterday. This isn't about greed or lolenvy, its about equilibrium.

You can twist it whatever way you want, but this is basically punishment by exclusion. It isn't about what someone else is getting, it is about being excluded from it by virtue of being a 'customer' and not a 'freeloader'.

Now we can go back and forth about what defines a customer or a freeloader till the zombie apocalypse, it doesn't change anything. You choosing to see it differently, does nothing to change what it is.

I'm not even saying Cryptic is doing this maliciously, their intentions are most likely on the up and up. But dismissing the critics who see the writing on the wall and feel free to read it out loud is not going to make you any less wrong about it.

So anyone who bought a PC game and then it ended up as freeware was punished?

It is about what someone else is getting and I don't agree with your response at all. I think you are the one who is wrong.

With YOUR Equilibrium... its only ok for people to get free stuff if you haven't bought it already, AND that you get it free as well?

As for the 'freeloader' tag. As most of the items are I think at least going to be 6 months or so older, any freeloaders could have converted enough dil to Zen over time to get the item. Or there so new there as likely to benefit as anyone, or as likely to be affected as anyone.

It's a free giveaway of things we may or may not have, or that we may or may not have wanted anyway.
    edited August 2013
    As somebody who is moving and won't get my computer back up until tomorrow evening, I'm looking at it this way:

If it's an item I don't have? Free item! Yay!

If it's an item I do have? Great. I'm not missing anything I wouldn't miss anyway by not logging in. Good deal. I have other stuff to do.

As for Romulans being left out...

None of the items being given away are explicitly Romulan, no.

HOWEVER... Small craft/shuttles, lower tier ships, and off duty costumes are usable by Romulans. So it would appear to me that 3 days or so of this promotion will be usable by Romulans.

Day one is Fed only. Day five is a T5 ship, almost certainly.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday all appear to offer things a Romulan CAN use.

And while Klingons may only get rewards for 4 out of the 5 days, Klingon C-Store ships are generally better than Fed C-Store ships with a few exceptions. And you can claim rewards both sides so roll up a Fed to claim Monday's reward.

I also dabble with poker as a hobby, and in that there is something known as Entitlement Tilt, which is you have an expectation of winning a hand and thereby some money. When it doesn't happen because of random chance having affected the outcome, people feel they had a justifiable reason thatthey should have won and got angry.

It may or may not be T5 ship, all thats' definate is there will be some ships and total benefit of the items is approx 7500 zen. it's great to see some excitment, but with 40 or so pages over the weekend I think there's been a bit to much overthinking. It's less than 24 hours until it starts, lets just be Oh I dunno whats that old fashioned thing we dont have anymore.. oh yeah i remember its called Patience.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013

No you are the one that did not get it. I was a paying customer and being a paying customer was excluded from the promotional giveaways. No if and or buts about it. To be eligable to get a free $1000 TV you must sign up for a store card. I already being a customer already had the card so I was excluded. No if's and or but's i was excluded and had not a snowballs chance in hell of winning the TV that week and It would have gone nice in the living room as the purchased one went into the family room.

The analogy also fit because the TV was the grand prize and you would know that it wasnt the only item because I clearly stated "and other items". I did not own any of the other items and yet was excluded from being able to win them and being a paying customer. I did not begrudge any of the winners, not being able to join in to have a chance to win something did not bother me more than saying to myself "well that sucks".

This promotion DOES NOT exclude anyone who has a qualifying character paid or not, thats a huge differance from being excluded because you were a paying customer. And i very well could on 2 of the days not get anything at all. Yes i have a chance of not getting anything on 2 of the items, to that I say "Oh well, too bad i already have it. I am happy for everyone who didnt already have it." To do otherwise is being envious that they get something free and I paid for it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's a shame the c-store is unable to give away altruism, generosity, compassion or empathy so that some might receive a thing they do not yet possess.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You can twist it any way you like, but you're basically complaining about free stuff. Period.

Oh, and you're being rather petty about it. I bought Tombraider 2013 recently, from STEAM, for 49,95 euros. Should I complain vociferously now, just because STEAM will offer it to others for 20 euros soon?

So, what if PWE were to offer me a free Science Vesta? (not all that likely, but still). I would simply smile and say: "Sweet gesture, but no thanks, already got one!" Maybe you should do likewise!?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kimony wrote: »
    It's a shame the c-store is unable to give away altruism, generosity, compassion or empathy so that some might receive a thing they do not yet possess.

It's a shame those who already possess cannot just rejoice in the fact, and angrily want ever "Moar!" -- ironically looking a lot like the greedy Ferengi at PWE they so loudly decry.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You can twist it any way you like, but you're basically complaining about free stuff. Period.

Oh, and you're being rather petty about it. I bought Tombraider 2013 recently, from STEAM, for 49,95 euros. Should I complain vociferously now, just because STEAM will offer it to others for 20 euros soon?

So, what if PWE were to offer me a free Science Vesta? (not all that likely, but still). I would simply smile and say: "Sweet gesture, but no thanks, already got one!" Maybe you should do likewise!?

-My thoughts.
    I have pretty much everything. Oh, I guess I have to prepare a long letter of complaint through the forums of something...something.

Sweet Jesus. If my bartender was to experience these kinds of complaints from me, I'd get a good old skool FACE-PUNCH. -Yeah. That is not the ones you drink...

If you Guys complaint about this game, Why don't you go out and shout at the washingmachine? (NO! NOT Your mom! -The actual machine (where your mom puts your clothes and soap)... Jeeez...
    /Floozy
  • catpaw25catpaw25 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kimony wrote: »

Can we get a hearty "hear hear" to this one? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jesia Ti La'krim
    Admiral, 602nd Flying Tribbles
  • rblaher988rblaher988 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Firstly Wanna say thank you!!

Secondly, I think this has to be the biggest rage of free stuff I have ever seen... Seriously? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OMFG, I knew this would happen, they give away free stuff without any grind, running races, flying around and people still ***** about it.

For Shame, for shame.

Yeah right. If this promotion would only be for Romulan items and thus excluded Federation and KDF players from getting anything free, the forums would be in total uproar and I suspect you wouldn't play admiral-holierthanthou if that was to be the case.:rolleyes:

I can understand they don't offer the Romulan TNG uniform pack or the Scimitar or so as a free giveaway, but not a single Romulan item because its "new" is imho just bad play. Surely one of the not so good selling Romulan ships could be offered on one of the ship-days so there is at least something for all 3 factions.
    edited August 2013
    Okay, let's try this comparison...

I am a customer of Xfinity, formerly Comcast Cable. I've had their Triple Play package for some time now - it gets me the top-end internet access, phone, and all the cable channels. (If I purchased the same services a la carte, they would be much more expensive.)

Currently, Xfinity is running a promotion - new customers can get the Triple Play for $99/mo for the first year (or two, I don't recall), less than half what I'm paying. Further, they can get one year's service of the new X-1 voice-activated cable search platform for free.

As a longstanding customer, I'm ineligible for any of these offers - they're for new customers only. Am I supposed to be insulted by this? Is this (to borrow an overused phrase) a "slap in the face"? Or should I just be happy for all those people who are going to experience what I've gotten for the past several years?

I'm going to go with "happy for them" - seems a lot less stressful to me.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Jealousy and envy can be two of the worst states of mind. It can lead to a sense of entitlement.

That kind of attitude is bankrupting countries today, including my own.

The plain fact of the matter is that some folks will get what you already have, and you (paying customer or not) are not automatically entitled to be compensated just because you own said item (and payed for it).

The easiest solution is to be glad for the one getting something nice for free, and enjoy it as much as you have. Nothing wrong with being disappointed. But acting like an entitled TRIBBLE isn't going to help your situation.

On the other hand, acting like an adult, and with the realization that you may benefit from this giveaway at least one day this week, will work wonders for your blood pressure and nerves.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »

meimei u rock marry me (jokes aside) i agree here with u meimei i got stuff off steam at normal price and next day it was on sale i'm not complaining i love free stuff to if it's a ship my fed toon has on a free ship day eh no lose for me i'll cheer those on that don't have it i just wanna see what they gonna do for fed and kdf outfits for romulans cause lets be honest aside from merc and formal wear what on the fed and kdf normal uniform outfits can romulans wear nothing i have seen yet on fed side for my fed allie rommy. but if i missed something let me know as for kdf i'm unsure about them and kdf allied rommys wanna post here if i am wrong thanks always good to know what i might have missed ^_^

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lord7tareq wrote: »
    Yeah right. If this promotion would only be for Romulan items and thus excluded Federation and KDF players from getting anything free, the forums would be in total uproar and I suspect you wouldn't play admiral-holierthanthou if that was to be the case.:rolleyes:

Other than costume unlocks, the romulans will get just as many ships* and most likely bundles as Feds and KDF do...

*unless the freebie of the day is a tier 5 ship

...because of their ally-ing nature.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited August 2013
    lord7tareq wrote: »

I can understand they don't offer the Romulan TNG uniform pack or the Scimitar or so as a free giveaway, but not a single Romulan item because its "new" is imho just bad play. Surely one of the not so good selling Romulan ships could be offered on one of the ship-days so there is at least something for all 3 factions.

I'm sorry please let me wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. I'm a LTS, I've bought some items and not others yet.

As a LTS the fact they give away something I already own isn't going to have my cut my nose of to spite my face not play... what are you like 5?

It's a game, what they are giving away may or may not increase an aspect of enjoyment about the game. It does not 'ruin' the game for me if I get nothing this week.

I was hardly thinking Thursday night, dammit if they end up giving away free stuff I already own I'm quitting playing. Look news free stuff, grr I'd better not own it or else!

I'm sorry but please, can some people grow some broader shoulders, get a bit of perspective and crawl out of your as... little box you live in away from everybody else.

Better yet actually, fully crawl into the box, and shut the lid so we can't hear from you anymore.
    edited August 2013
    Whomever that feel Jealousy and Envy through internet, are propably full of Greed and Fear in real life. I guess Anger and Despair is close by.

-Kerayz, 2013
    /Floozy
  • syfyguy64syfyguy64 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We all know it's just going to be a uniform, and a ship for rear admirals for each faction.
    Its nice, really, but we know what it'll be.
    edited August 2013
    But hey, free item. Why deny? Because I already have 2 characters or something? No. I'll just do itvanyways because I donated 10 dollars to the game, and want to donate more. Doesn't entitle me to anything but fake money on a game. If you think you're special because you bought a dreadnought cruiser, you aren't. You're just being an *******.
    edited August 2013
    syfyguy64 wrote: »
    We all know it's just going to be a uniform, and a ship for rear admirals for each faction.
    Its nice, really, but we know what it'll be.

Well it may be the DS9 bundle (available to KDF as well i think?), ship, shuttle, costumes, and I don't see many use this in-game so not a big zen loss for cryptic.

I see Connies and TOS costumes and gear on a regular basis so that bundle I assume still sells and would be a loss to give away and hence unlikely.

Please note that any comments by myself are entirely speculative and anything I speculate may or may-not be included in the forthcoming giveaway, just it would tick the boxes Bran mentioned.

Indeed until such time as details are announced the only thing that is a fact for people to maon about is it will be appox 7500 worth of zen.
    edited August 2013
    Well it may be the DS9 bundle (available to KDF as well i think?), ship, shuttle, costumes, and I don't see many use this in-game so not a big zen loss for cryptic.

I see Connies and TOS costumes and gear on a regular basis so that bundle I assume still sells and would be a loss to give away and hence unlikely.

No one uses the odyssey cruiser, because it is said to be TRIBBLE, so it won't be a loss, right?
    I really want a better ship, but I'm poor...
    edited August 2013
    I like the Oddy that one of my toons got for free during an Anniversary Event, but then I like running a beamboat with Fire At Will on both of my tac officers, and throwing mines out the aft end. It doesn't matter so much then that it turns like a cow on skates.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png