What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Summer Giveaway Announcement!

Comments

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know it probably won't come up, but I'm hoping the Vesta Pack is one of the items being given away.
    That would likely be beyond awesome.

I would go so far as to say it's crazy generous.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Even if this is being done because the board of directors at PWE realized they're generally seen as greedy Ferengi ruining the game, still, regardless of motive, it's a nice gesture.

To those who say this is all a ploy to get you to buy more ship slots, well, that's a bit too cynical even for my taste. :P I mean, even if it's true, it's like winning a shiny new car, and then blame the giver for needing a garage to store it in. Lord knows I'm not a fan of PWE, but free is free, and there's no arguing with that.

They (PWE) are greedy Ferengi. But you can do good business with greedy Ferengi if you go over the contract with a subnucleonic beam ;). At least you know where they stand. :D

And then there are the rules-the 57th Rule of Acquisition, "Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them" and the 76th Rule of Aquisition, "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies".

I find it weird that people find it hard to believe that STO is doing well enough that they can do something like this. Thanks to all the people who buy Lockbox keys and have cleaned out the C-store already and Gold members and Lifetimers for making this possible. And of course the devs. Maybe later they can tell us who's idea this was.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    micromutmicromut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    all I can say is thanks what ever it is cos free is goooooood. tho im still kinda new to the game so ships are welcome more than the vast number of things I don't understand yet(learning slowly tho) oh and I just paid for a LTS so I should get more he he GREEEEEED ...only kidding
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just to ensure it's clear, "throughout the week" doesn't mean "each day" and I sincerely apologize if I caused any confusion or set different expectations. To give more info, Monday-Wednesday are around the same value*, Thursday is higher and Friday is even higher. If my calculations are correct, it's over 7500 ZEN worth of free items if you have eligible** characters to claim them all -- some days (3, Wed-Fri) there will be a Fed and KDF ship that can be claimed for a total of 8 items.

*I just realized that Wednesday's items are actually just slightly less in value ZEN wise than Monday/ Tuesday's, but you may find more value in it depending on what you're hoping for (small craft vs. costume, *hint hint*)

**Example: To be eligible to claim a T3 KDF ship, you'd need a Klingon that is at least at level 20 with an available ship slot.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So Monday is a Fed Costume pack, 550Z
    Tuesday is probably a KDF costume pack, 550z
    Wednesday will be a small craft of some sort... peregrine/delta flyer (remember, the DF was craftable back in the day) maybe? 500Z
    Thursday is a T3 ship, probably worth 1000Z or so
    Friday is a T4 ship, probably worth 2000Z

By my math, 4000+2000+500+1100 (assuming being able to claim on both factions) = 7600.
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just to ensure it's clear, "throughout the week" doesn't mean "each day" and I sincerely apologize if I caused any confusion or set different expectations. To give more info, Monday-Wednesday are around the same value*, Thursday is higher and Friday is even higher. If my calculations are correct, it's over 7500 ZEN worth of free items if you have eligible** characters to claim them all -- some days (3, Wed-Fri) there will be a Fed and KDF ship that can be claimed for a total of 8 items.

*I just realized that Wednesday's items are actually just slightly less in value ZEN wise than Monday/ Tuesday's, but you may find more value in it depending on what you're hoping for (small craft vs. costume, *hint hint*)

**Example: To be eligible to claim a T3 KDF ship, you'd need a Klingon that is at least at level 20 with an available ship slot.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Free's free. No complaints here! :-)
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Monday: Costume, 550 zen
    Tuesday: Costume, 550 zen
    Wednesday: Fed/KDF Fighters, 500 zen (To'Duj is a given with the KDF)
    Thursday: Fed/KDF starship, 750 zen (Qaw'Dun BoP is the only KDF ship that's 750 zen)
    Friday: Fed/KDF starship, 1,000 zen
    Total: 5,500
    So Monday is a Fed Costume pack, 550Z
    Tuesday is probably a KDF costume pack, 550z
    Wednesday will be a small craft of some sort... peregrine/delta flyer (remember, the DF was craftable back in the day) maybe? 500Z
    Thursday is a T3 ship, probably worth 1000Z or so
    Friday is a T4 ship, probably worth 2000Z

By my math, 4000+2000+500+1100 (assuming being able to claim on both factions) = 7600.
    I believe Branny said that you could claim both Fed and KDF ships of a certain day, so they're probably be about half that zen price for Thurs/Fri.

Edit: Never mind, my math derped again.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hey Brandon 1st of all Thank you for this awesome event!! :)

Based from your info so far I did a little time schedule/chart to figure this out... let me know if its right!!! *not the items tho* :)

TIMES
    Item 1 #TOS Uniform 550Z: Monday 10AM PDT ---> Tuesday 10AM PDT ***You have 24hrs to claim item, before it goes back to normal price***

Item 2 #Combat EV Suit 700Z: Tuesday 10AM PDT ---> Wednesday 10AM PDT ***You have 24hrs to claim item, before it goes back to normal price***

Item 3 #Fleet Ship Module 500Z: Wednesday 10AM PDT ---> Thursday 10AM PDT ***You have 24hrs to claim item, before it goes back to normal price***

Item 4 #Gladius Class 750Z: Thursday 10AM PDT ---> Friday 10AM PDT ***You have 24hrs to claim item, before it goes back to normal price***

Item 5 #Vesta Class Budle 5000Z: Friday 10AM PDT ---> Saturday 10AM PDT ***You have 24hrs to claim item, before it goes back to normal price***

If my math is right that is: 550+700+500+750+5000=7500 *depending on items*

# I used simple Z-store items to explain
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    awesome, epic soundtrack time in celebration
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srOiO4XeDs
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      orangeitis wrote: »
      Monday: Costume
      Tuesday: Costume
      Wednesday: Fed/KDF Fighters (To'Duj is a given with the KDF)
      Thursday: Fed/KDF starship, 750 zen (Qaw'Dun BoP is the only KDF ship that's 750 zen)
      Friday: Fed/KDF starship, 1,000 zen

I believe Branny said that you could claim both Fed and KDF ships of a certain day, so they're probably be about half that zen price for Thurs/Fri.

Your math may be off. 1100+1000+1500+2000 = 5600. He said "over 7500 zen".

Being able to claim on both factions was factored into my math, except I forgot to add 500 for claiming 2 small craft.
    • Options
      orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Your math may be off. 1100+1000+1500+2000 = 5600. He said "over 7500 zen".

Being able to claim on both factions was factored into my math, except I forgot to add 500 for claiming 2 small craft.
      TRIBBLE. This keeps on getting better and better.
    • Options
      akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      i hope there will be the D'Kyr Science Vessel. i always wanted to buy that ship, but only for design - cuz is underpowered if i compare it with my present ship - and i always were to miserly:))
      as a costume i whould love to see something from enterprise or TOS.
      anyway, awesome event!
      my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
    • Options
      meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      captaind3 wrote: »
      ... and the 76th Rule of Aquisition, "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies".

Haha! You win! :) Best assessment in the thread!

/chapeau!
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • Options
      smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Thanks for this PWE/Cryptic. Regardless of the contents it's a nice gesture and I'm looking forward to a week of pressies.
      V9BQ6SM.gif
      "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      STO Whining Committee: "All sins are forgiven. Bribe enthusiastically accepted."

Thank you, Implementors!
      Greenbird
    • Options
      keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
      edited August 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Ok, lets play with numbers.

Facts:
      1. Monday is a uniform. Cost of Uniforms are 550.
      2. Monday through Wednesday are in the same ball park price wise.
      3. wednesday - Friday are ships and have a Federation and klingon offering.
      4. Full total is around 7500 for all items released.
      5. all items will be account unlocks

Using this information, I estimate the following:

Monday - Uniform - 550
      Tuesday - some item around 450
      Wednesday - Either Tier 1 ship or shuttle/fighter - 500 x 2 (One for each faction) for total of 1000
      Thursday - Tier 2 ship - 750 x 2 for total of 1500
      Friday - Tier 5 ship 2000 x 2 (ships more likely will be in the 2000 point range which includes all retro-ships.

550 + 450 +1000 + 1500 + 4000 = 7500

The Tuesday item could be higher than 450 and push us over 7500, but we would still bein the same range as 7500.
    • Options
      leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      keppoch1 wrote: »
      Ok, lets play with numbers.

Facts:
      1. Monday is a uniform. Cost of Uniforms are 550.
      2. Monday through Wednesday are in the same ball park price wise.
      3. wednesday - Friday are ships and have a Federation and klingon offering.
      4. Full total is around 7500 for all items released.
      5. all items will be account unlocks

Using this information, I estimate the following:

Monday - Uniform - 550
      Tuesday - some item around 450
      Wednesday - Either Tier 1 ship or shuttle/fighter - 500 x 2 (One for each faction) for total of 1000
      Thursday - Tier 2 ship - 750 x 2 for total of 1500
      Friday - Tier 5 ship 2000 x 2 (ships more likely will be in the 2000 point range which includes all retro-ships.

550 + 450 +1000 + 1500 + 4000 = 7500

The Tuesday item could be higher than 450 and push us over 7500, but we would still bein the same range as 7500.

Well, something to keep in mind. Monday is a Fed costume. Tuesday is also a costume. Everything is an account unlock and a single claim item discounted to zero in the C-Store, so no EV suits, modules, BOs, etc.

Running with this:

Monday: Jupiter Uniforms. (They may as well consider keeping this free. It doesn't have the excitement of being new or the draw of being canon.)
      Tuesday: Formal Wear Pack. (Enjoyable by all factions now.)
      Wednesday: Yellowstone Runabout/Klingon Fighter
      Thursday: Gladius/Klingon T2 ship.
      Friday: D'Kyr/Gorn ship... Or if they want to make a good sales pitch, 1 Odyssey/Bortas flavor ship to push sales of the other two.
    • Options
      foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Oh, and the items get progressively higher in value throughout the week (Example: Monday, costume; Friday, ship) :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Did I read that right? Account wide(Faction restricted) unlocks?
    • Options
      redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Me want D'kyr.
      Server not responding (1701 s)
    • Options
      ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Day 1: Costume - 550 zen
      Day 2: Costume - 550 zen
      Day 3: Fed shuttle / KDF shuttle - 1000 zen
      Day 4: Fed T2 Refit / Klingon T2 Refit - 1500 zen
      Day 5: Fed T5 Retrofit / Klingon T5 Retrofit - 4000 zen
      Total: 8 items - over 7500 worth of zen
    • Options
      admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      akpa wrote: »
      i hope there will be the D'Kyr Science Vessel. i always wanted to buy that ship, but only for design - cuz is underpowered if i compare it with my present ship - and i always were to miserly:))
      as a costume i whould love to see something from enterprise or TOS.
      anyway, awesome event!

Well for those of us that have it, wish they'd get round to a Fleet D'kyer.
    • Options
      beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Well, something to keep in mind. Monday is a Fed costume. Tuesday is also a costume. Everything is an account unlock and a single claim item discounted to zero in the C-Store, so no EV suits, modules, BOs, etc.

Running with this:

Monday: Jupiter Uniforms. (They may as well consider keeping this free. It doesn't have the excitement of being new or the draw of being canon.)
      Tuesday: Formal Wear Pack. (Enjoyable by all factions now.)
      Wednesday: Yellowstone Runabout/Klingon Fighter
      Thursday: Gladius/Klingon T2 ship.
      Friday: D'Kyr/Gorn ship... Or if they want to make a good sales pitch, 1 Odyssey/Bortas flavor ship to push sales of the other two.

sounds good except monday would have to be something that ALL THREE factions can wear aka fed,rommys,and kdf cause romulans can't wear any fed outfits that i know of not counting formal or merc and i can't say for kdfs since i am fed allied but probally same way.

• Options
      leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      beerxhyper wrote: »
      sounds good except monday would have to be something that ALL THREE factions can wear aka fed,rommys,and kdf cause romulans can't wear any fed outfits that i know of not counting formal or merc and i can't say for kdfs since i am fed allied but probally same way.

Bran has indicated that no Romulan costumes will be included and that Monday is a Fed costume with no Monday reward for anyone else, if I read correctly.
    • Options
      newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
      edited August 2013
      Bran has indicated that no Romulan costumes will be included and that Monday is a Fed costume with no Monday reward for anyone else, if I read correctly.

Your missed in the General section - there are some interesting discussions that would be interesting to hear from you.
    • Options
      virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited August 2013

Let's have a Bran recap...
      We are excited to announce that we will be giving away FREE C-Store items next week. As we will feature something different every day (Monday 8/12/13 - Friday 8/16/13), you won't want to miss out! Read more for details.

Click here to read more.
      No, nothing to do with Arc and you don't have to have Arc installed to participate. What I meant by eligibility requirements is, for example, say it's a T3 ship -- you'll need to have the faction appropriate level 20 character to claim it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      Oh, and the items get progressively higher in value throughout the week (Example: Monday, costume; Friday, ship) :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      You'll have around 24 hours to claim that day's free item before it goes back to it's regular price. For example, Monday's item will be available to claim around 10AM PDT. Tuesday's will be around 10AM PDT, and Monday's will go back to costing ZEN at the same time.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      There will be starships :) Several, in fact. There are no tokens or boosts planned for the giveaway.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

No catch. Log in and claim. That's it. :)

I will say in advance that there will not be any Romulan items given away (e.g. Romulan costumes or ships) as they are pretty brand-new.

And on the days (yes, days plural!) that we're giving away a ship, there will be a KDF ship and Fed ship (you'll need to claim each on the appropriate, eligible character). So, there will actually be more than 5 ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

It works just like the items in the C-Store do now, except for the item(s) being given away on that day, instead of it saying X ZEN, it will be "Available" and you have a "Claim" button. So, for the costume on Monday, instead of seeing "550 ZEN" and a "Buy" button, it will say "Available" and "Claim".

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      You'll need available ship slots in order to claim it. If you claim a ship from the C-Store, and dismiss it, you can reclaim it later.

It works just like any other account unlock you buy, except you are "buying" the items we are giving away for "0 Zen" during the day they are free. You can claim it on future characters you make if they are of the appropriate level/ faction and meet eligibility (e.g. you have enough ship slots if it's a ship).

No :) Just once -- it's an account-wide unlock.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      No.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      I've been tweeting :)@PWE_BranFlakes and @TrekOnlineGame. It's easier to share photos that way.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
      If they are ships :) (and there are at least a couple days that are) http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11826371#post11826371

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

There seems to be some confusion regarding my statement above, so I just want to make sure it's clear :) Please note the "on the days that we're giving away ships..." part. As in, if it's not a ship (Monday's costume, as an example), it will be one item only for one faction. In Monday's example, Federation.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    • Options
      lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I will say in advance that there will not be any Romulan items given away (e.g. Romulan costumes or ships) as they are pretty brand-new.

Lame, so its a promotional event for only 2 out of 3 factions? What a joke.:mad:
    • Options
      edited August 2013
      lord7tareq wrote: »
      Lame, so its a promotional event for only 2 out of 3 factions? What a joke.:mad:

May 21st...Aug 12th.

Not even 3 months have passed...so uh, yeah - no - why would you expect them to offer something free from that...that soon?

Course, that's where I think a wrench gets thrown into the speculation about the T2/T5 thing - since the T2 KDF ship is less than 3 months old as well (same with the T1 KDF ship that was added).

Will be interesting to see how the ship thing plays out there.

Depending on the costumes, the Roms should be able to use them.
      The small craft, the Roms should be able to use them.
      With the ships, T1-T4 - the Roms can use them (and use their consoles on their T5 ships).
      T5 ships though...hrmmm...that would leave the Roms out of it.
    • Options
      usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      what happens if you already have said ship's ? , I know it has been asked before but I don't feel well enough to search through 36 pages . I have nearly all the fed ships :confused:
      NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
    • Options
      edited August 2013
      usscapital wrote: »
      what happens if you already have said ship's ? , I know it has been asked before but I don't feel well enough to search through 36 pages . I have nearly all the fed ships :confused:

Nothing happens. If you already have the item Cryptic is giving away, then nothing happens. There are no alternate items - no equivalent items - no refunds for previously purchasing the item, etc, etc, etc.
    • Options
      coldfusion2012coldfusion2012 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Nothing happens. If you already have the item Cryptic is giving away, then nothing happens. There are no alternate items - no equivalent items - no refunds for previously purchasing the item, etc, etc, etc.

so in other words its a give away for the people who don't spend money on the game and a big sod off too the people who pay sub/lifetime/zen

nice to know that my sub and zen i purchased gets rewarded with everyone who didn't bother to support the game or spend cash getting what i payed for
      IT'S WORSE THAN THAT IT'S A GAME JIM
    • Options
      drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      so in other words its a give away for the people who don't spend money on the game and a big sod off too the people who pay sub/lifetime/zen

nice to know that my sub and zen i purchased gets rewarded with everyone who didn't bother to support the game or spend cash getting what i payed for

I purchased a sub, I buy zen and I don't own everything in C-store. I might get something I don't own as a freebie.
      It's not a "big sod off" to me.
      Perhaps you simply don't like other children having the same toys as you?
      "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
      Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
      coldfusion2012coldfusion2012 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I purchased a sub, I buy zen and I don't own everything in C-store. I might get something I don't own as a freebie.
      It's not a "big sod off" to me.
      Perhaps you simply don't like other children having the same toys as you?

dont mind people having free stuff but would you pay for something that everyone else gets for nothing

idk about you but the sub i pay monthly may not be a fortune too most but after paying bills,food shopping and clothing kids its the little money that i get that i get to spend on something that is for myself, and the above post of insinuating that i am a child having a tantrum no i am not
      i am simply stating that the free give away is for the people who haven't already payed money to get what is going to be free and the people who basicly help fund a F2P game get stuffed because they have those items
      IT'S WORSE THAN THAT IT'S A GAME JIM