test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

200 dil/zen ?

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
People seem to have many worries about the STO economy these days. Many may not be aware of an oncoming problem with the Dil Exchange.

Season 9 did not include a new fleet holding. Fleet holdings consume a great deal of dilithium.

With no new sink for dilithium, the supply of dilithium in the economy will surely rise.

The Dil Ex Rate is a ratio of dilithium / zen. The more dilithium, the higher the number of the left goes.

How high will it go? 175 dil/ zen? 200?
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd like it to go back to pre-fleet-holding levels. 350+ dilithium per Zen. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would be happy if it went to 500, but im sure cryptic have a new sink planned. they suggested they did not want to overload fleets with never-ending holdings that swap smaller fleets and gets boring so i would expect something different to come down the pipe at some point.
  • Options
    mbk2014mbk2014 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    given they have put an event on to boost everyone's dili levels, i expect something soon to consume that.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Speaking as hardcore Dilithium Exchange user (300$ worth of dilithium in a few months). a ratio of 500/1 is absurdly high that I swear people will even try. Demand and offer have to be balanced. If there is a low request of dilithium price will go up but at some point people would say "hey, no that's too high", and market will stall. Looking at how many people use Exchange nowadays to buy ZEN ships, keys and stuff in greater number I don't think prices will go so far.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The mean price right now is 137.45, the median is 138, and the mode is 138. The market is pretty centered on 138 right now, and like riccardo171, I don't see it moving too much. The last time I looked (a few months ago) it was round 125 at the highest, so this might be the peak you were expecting.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And with NoP Public Service Welfare, this is the Golden Age of small fleets. They have never, ever had it better.

All a small fleet needs to do now, to get all the things, is build provos and FC.

Without Nop a lot of player can't have fleet items unless they join a big fleet... and in big fleet is more difficult to gain fc.

So all in all Nop is good... it's thanks to nop if I have had several of my items and be competitive and have fun in pvp too... and still I am helping my fleet in building the base and use dilithium also to equip new items
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they keep making dil easy to get, it will keep going up, to a point. While active players hit their daily cap and then some, casual players do not usually do so and certainly not on 5+ alts. So these double dil weekends and other events increase the supply quietly, but dramatically. If everyone suddenly has 200k+ dil, and a lot of those people want zen.... the result is obvious.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just saw a youtube video from January 2013 in which the dilithium price was at 92 per Zen. You see it could be way worse. ;)
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also remember when it was 350:10 Dil:Zen.

Frankly, I doubt they care if it floats that high for a while. The higher the exchange rate, the more Zen is worth, the more Zen is sold, and the more money they make.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Just saw a youtube video from January 2013 in which the dilithium price was at 92 per Zen. You see it could be way worse. ;)

ehh, worse for the Zen sellers yes. Zen buyers? they be rollin.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I remember the 1st time I traded dilithium for Zen on the exchange.; it was like a 127:1 ratio back in the beginning of Feb. That allowed me to purchase my 1st 100 Doff slot expansion. The last time I traded for Zen was about 2 weeks ago when it was a 138:1 ratio.

Hopefully, the exchange rate doesn't get too out of hand. I like exchanging dilithium for Zen to sort offset real money that was used to purchase Zen. So far though I have not really spent any dilithium in the actual game itself yet outside the exchange. I am sure that will change though since I am doing doing the rep system and I need the dilithium to buy the gear that I want to get.

==================================

As far as dilithium itself... it is pretty easy to get dilithium in the game so I do not really see the need for the dilithium bonus event. Sure, I'll take the extra dilithium, but I is not like I can refine more than 8k per day (I'm guessing vets / fleets can do 8.5k per day). If I have the time, then I will max out my dilithium quota for my Fed and KDF toon. Of course it is far easier to hit that 8k daily quota with my KDF toon which I can typically do it in 60 - 75 minutes (no rich mining claim). However, my Fed toon and it typically takes around 150 - 165 minutes of play time to fill my dilithium quota for the day. That excludes travel time from system to system.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We are all freakin' spoiled right now. The market used to be more than twice as this.
  • Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is there a reason we're ignoring that when the market was 300+ was prior to the c-point to zen conversion?
    http://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4136/~/(sto)(co)-cryptic-points-are-now-zen
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is there a reason we're ignoring that when the market was 300+ was prior to the c-point to zen conversion?
    http://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4136/~/(sto)(co)-cryptic-points-are-now-zen
    The conversion was a 20% shift, so based even on the shift the value would have been 240+ if happening with Zen rather then Cryptic Points.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Incentives are important.

Not for cryptic, since time ago.
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    ehh, worse for the Zen sellers yes. Zen buyers? they be rollin.

I tend to buy more zen via CC, so this is good news :)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    With the exception of the price caps (25 or 500), the dilithium exchange is a free market. The exchange rate is what it is because that's what the majority of players is willing to trade at. If you don't agree with that majority, that's your problem.

There is no need to "worry about the economy" with the exchange rate unless it hits the caps. If the cap were to prevent the optimal exchange rate from being reached, trading would slow down as players decide its not worth it. To my knowledge that has never happened. If it did, it would be easy to solve by changing the caps.

I do agree we need another fleet holding, though. Not because I'm desperate for a dil sink, but because I'm bored and want something worthwhile to do since they ruined the rep system.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    With this much upward pressure and absolutely no demand for minerals, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 170. We are long overdue to for a new holding/sink, as pretty much every fleet that was actually trying has finished, despite metrics to the contrary: Those "unfinished" fleets are abandoned, bank, and farm fleets which never had any intention of trying to build anything. Even solo fleets have long since finished everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I feel like anything over 200 is getting a bit much, and is when converting dil to zen doesn't really become worth it. A 500/1 exchange rate means only 16 zen per day is possible per character, meaning it will take absurdly long to buy anything of worth.

This will mean people will be pushed to find more profitable uses for dil, lowering the supply of dil, thus lowering the exchange rate.

This is at least my theory, which is fueled by both being an avid dil/zen converter and having a reasonable amount of knowledge of economics.
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I feel like anything over 200 is getting a bit much, and is when converting dil to zen doesn't really become worth it. A 500/1 exchange rate means only 16 zen per day is possible per character, meaning it will take absurdly long to buy anything of worth.

This will mean people will be pushed to find more profitable uses for dil, lowering the supply of dil, thus lowering the exchange rate.

This is at least my theory, which is fueled by both being an avid dil/zen converter and having a reasonable amount of knowledge of economics.

you wanna see zen > dil conversion utterly crash? you don't even need a new sink... just remove contraband from the game/or severely limit how much dil you can get with it, sure you got players with enormous amount of dil, but that dil will run out, then the price will crash horribly, there is nothing in this game that comes even close to how easy it is to farm dil through it.

i think its funny how one faction has such glaring advantage at farming, don't really recall seeing anything like it in any other MMO, but oh well.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    With this much upward pressure and absolutely no demand for minerals, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 170. We are long overdue to for a new holding/sink, as pretty much every fleet that was actually trying has finished, despite metrics to the contrary: Those "unfinished" fleets are abandoned, bank, and farm fleets which never had any intention of trying to build anything. Even solo fleets have long since finished everything.

I'm sorry, but your statement does reflect every fleet out there.

I know several fleets that have yet to even come close to finishing their holdings. Two fleets that I am in (one KDF and one Federation) only just completed the Tier 3 Dilithium Mine a few weeks ago, and the KDF fleet just unlocked the Spire Tier 3 Operations upgrade project.

And the main hold up is the inability to earn Fleet Marks. Because people are leaving STO left and right, so it's harder to find groups. And less people earning Dilithium also has an effect on the Diltihium Market, because there is less Dilthium being circulated. Which means prices will rise.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And less people earning Dilithium also has an effect on the Diltihium Market, because there is less Dilthium being circulated. Which means prices will rise.

Fyi; when dil get scarse, the price will d:z will actually fall. When people want zen (ex. bug doff pack), prices will rise. When more people are in need for dil with a less amount of people offering it, prices will fall.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would be happy if it went to 500, but im sure cryptic have a new sink planned. they suggested they did not want to overload fleets with never-ending holdings that swap smaller fleets and gets boring so i would expect something different to come down the pipe at some point.

That's nice of them to be that considerate.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    perhaps cryptic should jump in once a while, and reset the dil/zen conversation to 80/zen.

Call it like...Divine Intervention.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »
    perhaps cryptic should jump in once a while, and reset the dil/zen conversation to 80/zen.

Call it like...Divine Intervention.

According to many Poster #10's, Cryptic already artificially manipulates the dilithium exchange. Then again, they also say Cryptic artificially manipulates the exchange itself and artificially sets the EC prices for FSMs, Contraband, Lockbox ships, and probably Bajoran Jumja Sticks.

Of course, they're wrong. Not because these things are artificially set by a devious and greedy developer in Los Gatos.

It's really Iconians.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Zen hit 157 tonight yeah?

micro economics at it's finest :D
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?