What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• Options
    f19specterf19specter Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just a quick question to those of us with the issue, is anyone else in ESD or sol?

If its not the servers then I'm SOLED.
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am getting this intermittently too, the game will toss me out then I am unable to log back in. I have also noticed at the same time this is happening I cant get the sto website to come up then as soon the page loads the account server is back.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Tried to log on a while ago, and after entering my credentials in the launcher, I get the message "Unable to authenticate" in the botton left corner where the update progress bar usually is. I can't find any way to get around it and logged into the game.

Anyone else having this problem or found a solution?

Get kicked from the game after a NWS, couldn't log back in for about 20 minutes..
    Bugs geting stranger and stranger..
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • Options
    f19specterf19specter Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah the chat randomly went down too for me, and since its only one charcter thats being effected i'm hoping PW or cryptic can do something about it..
  • Options
    spectpspectp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    still not able to log in either. 4days now..

also on Verizon FIOS on the east coast.
  • Options
    fishman768fishman768 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    this is getting extremely tiresome indeed. I just returned to the game a month and a half ago, bought a lifetime sub, now since Saturday evening nothing. There are alotta games out there, and I'm not having ANY damn problems playing LOTRO or Tanks, this keeps up I wont have any problem "not" playing Star Trek...just wont log in and support them anymore.

How many people out there getting screwed over by this, a lot I'd say.

Sure, change ISP's, where I live its a ****ty assed cable company or Verizon, not any choices for anything out here in rural Texas.

Oh yea, and my problem is that I cannot even get the game to launch, not just character sets, anything to do with the game, nada.
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I posted this before in this thread, but I'll post it again...

A list of free VPN services to use as a work around for the problems with Verizon.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    fishman768 wrote: »
    this is getting extremely tiresome indeed. I just returned to the game a month and a half ago, bought a lifetime sub, now since Saturday evening nothing. There are alotta games out there, and I'm not having ANY damn problems playing LOTRO or Tanks, this keeps up I wont have any problem "not" playing Star Trek...just wont log in and support them anymore.

How many people out there getting screwed over by this, a lot I'd say.

Sure, change ISP's, where I live its a ****ty assed cable company or Verizon, not any choices for anything out here in rural Texas.

Oh yea, and my problem is that I cannot even get the game to launch, not just character sets, anything to do with the game, nada.

Try using one of these for the time being.
    --
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    varthelm wrote: »
    Only thing I find odd is everything else I do on the internet seems to work fine...including guildwars2. I may bring my laptop to a coffee shop to see if that change gets me back on but after a while, not sure I care which company is dropping the ball other than I'd like to know what service needs dropping. I just want stuff to work :)

This may help
    --
  • Options
    yellowgirlsyellowgirls Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is what happens when your company is trying to reduce operational costs and go with a cheap provider like Cogent. They're good to provide www internet service for your business but NOT for providing a transport layer for your online services. Cogent has always been a lower tiered provider who scavenges for cheap fiber to resell to its customers. PWE should spend a tiny bit more $$$ from all the zen they're pulling in and go with someone better? Maybe not Level 3/AT&T level or how about Inteliquent? Tinet?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Its not the Servers... I have no problems connecting from my Comcast ISP out of the Silicon Valley...

The problem lies with Verizon and the traffic through Cogent in Boston.
    --
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Possible good news.

So I have Verizon FiOS on the east coast and I was able to log in just now without the use of a VPN. I was able to log onto all of my characters, change zones with them, etc. with no major problems. There was lag/rubberbanding though. It wasn't a massive amount to the point where it was unplayable, but enough to be irritating. Also note that it isn't even noon here, so no where near peak hours. No idea if this will hold up as the day goes on. It does give me a little bit of hope though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    johnsaucierjohnsaucier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So this Verizon BS has gone from annoying to making my favorite game impossible to play. Last night I wanted to login and kill a little Borg, except when I tried the Launcher was completely unable to Launch the game.

When I'd click Login I'd see a blip where it normally shows a connection being made and then nothing.

This continued the entire night. So it seems that not only is it going to be slow sometimes and maybe have some lag and disconnection issues but completely be unusable.

When running Nettest it was apparent what was happening. The numbers showed a PING of over 1000+ ms and a throughput of around 10KB/sec with time outs on several ports completely.

I've heard people say well the way around it is to use VPN. Oh really? Is that the solution? Make my connection even more TRIBBLE to play the game? No sorry that's not a solution.

Complaining has no effect btw, as Verizon insists they are not doing anything, even when I suggested I could provide them with evidence of port throttling.

It's clear that Verizon does not care about their customers in the least, otherwise the complains registered thus far might have some effect. So it is now incumbent upon Cryptic to try and get this issue resolved.

Why you ask?

Because unlike any one of us individuals, Cryptic is in the unique position of actually making a difference. They can either go to Cogent and threaten them with moving their services or supplementing them, or they can bring other Tier one provider lines in.

In either case they are the only ones at this point who can make a difference, so it's time to see if Cryptic cares or if they are just like Verizon?

I love this game, it's my favorite game. I spend at least 6 to 8 hours every day playing it, and now there are days I can't even login. And the same goes for Neverwinter which I also love to play, completely useless.

I cannot even login to Neverwinter to Pray and get my ardent coin bonus, something that has to be done everyday.

Please Cryptic, be better and do what we cannot.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same here I've been in the game since 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time with little to no lag, but as you said not really peak hours. I called Verizon FiOS yesterday to have my router and equipment have a hard reset from their end (it didn't help the game - but I was getting better internet speeds). Today I got a follow up machine call from V.P. of Verizon's East Coast Operations I am e-mailing them again now.

I would suggest you all do the same. I would post their e-mail here but not sure if that would be against PWE's forum rules so I won't do it. What I probably will do is put a link here to our fleets website with the persons e-mail in couple hours. Maybe if enough people complain and threaten to leave they (or someone) will fix the problem.

Here is the link to our website that gives the information I mentioned above.

http://www.libertytaskforce.com/forum/m/13290647/viewthread/8159474-verizon-fios-star-trek-online-connection-issues/page/1
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    removed /10chars
    --
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    darkwyndre wrote: »
    and for many of us the only option.

This is very true. I have no issues with my Verizon service. Its blazing fast and most other people would be envious of my speed and bandwidth.

The issue is that Verizon "owns" my area. This all goes back to days of GTE but Verizon "owns" all the lines. My choice is either use Verizon, downgrade to dial-up (which then also requires an additional phone bill on top of the internet) or use a satellite service like DISH.

Changing service - even if I wanted to - would be $$$ out of my pocket and really a downgrade.

STO seems to be the only thing that there is a problem with. So as a customer, I am seeing this as an STO issue.

I have many gaming options and its much easier to simply start spending my time and $ on a different title.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This is very true. I have no issues with my Verizon service. Its blazing fast and most other people would be envious of my speed and bandwidth.

The issue is that Verizon "owns" my area. This all goes back to days of GTE but Verizon "owns" all the lines. My choice is either use Verizon, downgrade to dial-up (which then also requires an additional phone bill on top of the internet) or use a satellite service like DISH.

Changing service - even if I wanted to - would be $$$ out of my pocket and really a downgrade.

STO seems to be the only thing that there is a problem with. So as a customer, I am seeing this as an STO issue.

I have many gaming options and its much easier to simply start spending my time and $ on a different title.

And so Verizon has accomplished what they have set out to do it would seem, disenfranchise it's own customers and hope they are willing to blame someone else for the problem.
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Possible good news.

So I have Verizon FiOS on the east coast and I was able to log in just now without the use of a VPN. I was able to log onto all of my characters, change zones with them, etc. with no major problems. There was lag/rubberbanding though. It wasn't a massive amount to the point where it was unplayable, but enough to be irritating. Also note that it isn't even noon here, so no where near peak hours. No idea if this will hold up as the day goes on. It does give me a little bit of hope though.

Confirmed. I just logged in with no problems. Could a dev let us know if they did something to fix it?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Confirmed. I just logged in with no problems. Could a dev let us know if they did something to fix it?

It wouldn't be a dev it'd be Net Operations but I doubt they did anything. Most likely since it's midday there isn't much bandwidth usage between Verizon and Cogent so it's easier to connect.

But I could be totally wrong too hehe.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited August 2013
    askray wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a dev it'd be Net Operations but I doubt they did anything. Most likely since it's midday there isn't much bandwidth usage between Verizon and Cogent so it's easier to connect.

But I could be totally wrong too hehe.

Agreed on the East Coast it's around 1:30PM. Most people are at work right now, and not likely sitting at home watching Netflix.

I expect the issues to return around 6PM and expect them to dissipate around midnight.

This will probably continue throughout the weekdays and the weekends will become completely unusable again.
  • Options
    niekostrousniekostrous Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Back online!
    For now.
    Verizon DSL in NY
    Thank you. Have a lovely day.
  • Options
    vorlonangelvorlonangel Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yep! I have Verizon FIOS-Quantum and I have 7 Fed toons all stuck in the Pelia Sector right before I was to TW back to ESD to collect me EC from the tour on Sunday Morning and yes I am on the East Coast, Stafford Virginia. I don't care who fixes this as long as it gets fixed before I try to log back on this Thursday. If they, Verizon, Cogent, Cryptic..... whoever, can't fix this in 5DAYS???,,,!!!!! hey just stop the finger pointing and fix it. nobody cares who fixes it as long as it gets done. Here is a thought, the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas would be a perfect forum to BLAST Verizon and whoever else is responsible for this mess if it isn't fixed by then. there is definitely enough people ticked off right now to do it. does anyone know somebody at the FCC to complain to?
  • Options
    markko1savikorvymarkko1savikorvy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the reason most people myself included were having the "unable to authenticeate" issue was because if you look it up on the support page was becuase the servers were down. They are back up today, at least they are for me and so far i have not had any problems.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    the reason most people myself included were having the "unable to authenticeate" issue was because if you look it up on the support page was becuase the servers were down. They are back up today, at least they are for me and so far i have not had any problems.

Frankly *most* people who are in this thread complaining are not having problems because a server was down. The major issue has to do with throughput and throttling on the part of Verizon.

When you make statements like that its just misinformation and appears disingenuous, contrived and derisive.
  • Options
    treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    At this point I don't care whose fault it is, PWE needs to raise hell on our behalf, because they will lose a huge amount of their playerbase if they don't. I know I will definitely s-can this game and move on if this continues any longer. I've done my part by giving Verizon an earful, now the PWE business side needs to act.

Oh, and for frak sake, say something to acknowledge this problem, consolidate and sticky a thread with a dev response...something, anything to let us know we aren't being blown-off.

First of all, there was some acknowledgement of the problem, and a call to help debug it, by Branflakes on post 137 [page 14] of this post. Unfortunately, that has been the only official response, other than the merging of threads.

There are technical solutions that PWE could use to ease the situation while Verizon/Cogent continue their pissing match. Changing ISP Providors is probably not in the cards, due to lowest price bidding and existing contracts, however adding a proxy or another ISP to handle some of the load when this type of bandwidth throttling on Cogent happens is definitely possible, not very expensive, and would really help people who want to play. Considering Cogent's history, not adding something like this is very short sighted.

It would be nice if we had some response from PWE, now that we know what the problem definitely is, and how it could be fixed.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yep! I have Verizon FIOS-Quantum and I have 7 Fed toons all stuck in the Pelia Sector right before I was to TW back to ESD to collect me EC from the tour on Sunday Morning and yes I am on the East Coast, Stafford Virginia. I don't care who fixes this as long as it gets fixed before I try to log back on this Thursday. If they, Verizon, Cogent, Cryptic..... whoever, can't fix this in 5DAYS???,,,!!!!! hey just stop the finger pointing and fix it. nobody cares who fixes it as long as it gets done. Here is a thought, the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas would be a perfect forum to BLAST Verizon and whoever else is responsible for this mess if it isn't fixed by then. there is definitely enough people ticked off right now to do it. does anyone know somebody at the FCC to complain to?

5 Days? It seems you're assuming that Verizon actually wants to fix the issue... And if Crptic/PWE is leasing the Server Farm from Cogent Communications (which is most likely the case here...) that rules out bringing in a connection from another backbone provider...

You can register complaints on the FCC home page.. http://www.fcc.gov/
  • Options
    treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    5 Days? It seems you're assuming that Verizon actually wants to fix the issue... And if Crptic/PWE is leasing the Server Farm from Cogent Communications (which is most likely the case here...) that rules out bringing in a connection from another backbone provider...

You can register complaints on the FCC home page.. http://www.fcc.gov/

Verizon just wants the money it believes it is owed from Cogent for grossly uneven net traffic.
    Cogent does not want to pay, period. It will eventually be settled in court. Meanwhile, we loose.

Even if the server farm is leased from Cogent, and even if that rules out bringing in a direct connection from Verizon, there is Nothing that Cogent can do to prevent PWE from setting up a proxy from the Verizon network to Cogent to get around the port loading issue. This would be cheap, effective, and should have been done months ago, the last time this issue popped up.

If someone from PWE can explain to me why this is not the case, and why this has already not been done, I would Love to hear it! :)
  • Options
    alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Alright, I am back home on my COMCAST internet, and STO works perfectly fine. So, if it was not already abundantly clear, it's VERIZON that is the issue.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    treking2 wrote: »
    Verizon just wants the money it believes it is owed from Cogent for grossly uneven net traffic.
    Cogent does not want to pay, period. It will eventually be settled in court. Meanwhile, we loose.

Even if the server farm is leased from Cogent, and even if that rules out bringing in a direct connection from Verizon, there is Nothing that Cogent can do to prevent PWE from setting up a proxy from the Verizon network to Cogent to get around the port loading issue. This would be cheap, effective, and should have been done months ago, the last time this issue popped up.

But this is assuming that Verizon can create a custom gateway from the Verizon backbone to the Cogent Communications backbone just for STO traffic, and this is simply not possible. The issue is being caused by Verizon's refusal to expand its Cogent gateway bandwidth to meet the demands from paying Verizon customers for services hosted on the Cogent backbone. The lack of bandwidth effects ALL traffic coming from the Cogent backbone, and it is simply not possible to allow selective STO priority access through it...

And if Verizon allows proxy access via a third party backbone to allow STO traffic to reach Cogent, the same thing can be done with Netflix traffic, which completely negates the bandwidth restriction that Verizon has in place...
  • Options
    eschmachereschmacher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just got back from work, I am able to open the launcher now and play! I should note that it did prompt me that I would be forced to start at the earth spacedock as opposed to where-ever I left off. No big deal IMO.