What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• Options
    joehighland1joehighland1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes I said it they suck anyone have that hughesnet? its the satellite internet service? right now I have Verizon DSL 3mb its slow as heck fastest they can give me, lol used to have fios nvr had problems, have Direct TV thru Verizon instead of Comcast, I would go back to Comcast in a heart beat if I didn't have to pay Verizon to terminate my service since I only ad it for 7 months, but I am no where happy or satisfied with Verizon! Verizon sucks period! I cant even get the STO launcher to display correctly, it says updateing then opens an internet browser says unable to display web page, lol WTF? then I cant even open STO support web page, seems like Verizon is blocking all net traffic to STO/Cryptic any Cryptic game will not run/connect If I had a rock and could hit Verizon link from here I would. thinking about mailing all their TRIBBLE in a box with some real TRIBBLE in it. saying I put up with your TRIBBLE for 7 months now u can deal with mine, LOL is that against the law? to mail TRIBBLE? lol TRIBBLE Verizon! im done with them:eek:
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem with satellite internet service and services like Windstream is the high latency (time it take the signal to reach the satellite, it's intended destination and back) which causes lag. Which can be VERY not fun and frustrating and make games unplayable.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    decembersilverdecembersilver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am also having this issue on just one character. Started last night. All character login just fine except for one.
  • Options
    joehighland1joehighland1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes I looked hughesnet up its $99 for 40mg and yes it would be laggy and not very enjoyable to play online games, right now Verizon is TRIBBLE me out of $180 a month for TRIBBLE Direct TV that goes out in a storm, a 3mg DSL which only one person can play an online game at a time. and a phone line that is ok. I just looked into Comcast xfinity 20mg internet for $130 a month they have cheaper and more expansive packages but this one suites my needs. switching tomorrow I hope! watch even though the Comcast sev site said I can get xfinity watch it would be available in my area because that's my luck. we will see
  • Options
    at0msmasherat0msmasher Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't get through, even bouncing through the EU proxy I have access to. If I miss out on the Risan ship because of this, even though I paid for half the thing in Lobi, I'm going to be livid with PWE, whether or not this is a Verizon issue.
  • Options
    ralidynralidyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Using a free VPN to go through Europe and back. 350-400 ping stinks, but hey, I can do daily stuff, at least.
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    another odd fact. After no toon on my primary account has been able to log into sector space or stf without the timeout erro....tried on a FTP separate account and not a problem. Starting to lose faith in the idea that this is just a Verizon issue.
  • Options
    rist30rist30 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Find a VPN service. That's a work around that has been working for me.

O M G, it worked. I really don't know why but using VPN service apparently helps.

Followed your advice and found one free VPN service to test it out and it works :D

Did some testing as well.

Connected to VPN and logged in without issues.
    Disconnected from VPN, while logged in, and got immediately kicked to log in screen and again not able to log back in due to server time out.
    Connected to VPN again and logged in again without issues.

Wth, is there some conspiracy here? lol

Will do some more testing to see how far goes server time out thing ones it kicks in. Does it blocks you out for good or just from zoning to specific maps etc.

And thank you, thank you, thank you very much for the tip :D
  • Options
    alkeldaalkelda Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "I can't get through, even bouncing through the EU proxy I have access to. If I miss out on the Risan ship because of this, even though I paid for half the thing in Lobi, I'm going to be livid with PWE, whether or not this is a Verizon issue."

Um...Flying High is not available from the coordinator on Risa, so I think that it is over with...

Three of my characters can't get into STO. One is on DS9, two are left in Risa orbit. When I try to log into those characters, everything seems fine until around 89.00 then server not responding for a few seconds before disconnected and back to character select screen.
  • Options
    rist30rist30 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Update:

Ok, so my character was stuck at risa event map. For some reason, "safe" login tried to load my character to risa instead of sector space but that's another issue i guess (that got me firmly stucked on risa though).

As in my previous post explained, following suuperduude's advice, managed to log in via VPN service. Couldn't stayed logged in or log back in again without VPN service though.

Did next simplest thing. Beamed up to risa space and then tried to turn of VPN service. This time game didn't kick me out. Beamed down to risa without issue. Logged out and back in without issue.

So, wth? how on earth is VPN related to some random map in STO? lol

Hopefully someone relevant in some office somewhere reads these things...

Anyways, I'm happy now and, suuperduude, ty again :)

Edit:

Update 2:

Tried to repeat sequence that got me stuck in the first place. Cruised around some sector blocks, gone to DS9, checked exchange, bank, fleet projects etc., doff assignments, beamed back to ship and transwarped to risa from DS9 space. Beamed down to risa without issue, logged out and back in without issue.

Conclusion: really there is something wierd going on. It's like something connects your character, your internet connection (via IP address i guess) and some random map or more likely maps preventing you to load these maps. Like a bad joke, when your character logs in, it gets a set of randoms maps that locks it out for random time...

VPN service helps. I don't know how but it does (by anonymity? xD). If nothing else you can use any free VPN to at least unstuck your character. Turn on VPN, load character, zone the he** out of that map, turn off VPN and everything is fine, even going back to that map.
  • Options
    trinoyatrinoya Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Verizon user here. Exact same problems. Baltimore MD area.
    Title of choice: Ambassador :cool:
  • Options
    tunodtunod Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm just checking in to say I'm still getting the error from my last post. Crashing out at the Cryptic splash screen, being told the connection to the patch server for on-demand patching was "idle too long".

I don't use on-demand patching.
  • Options
    whiteknight2013whiteknight2013 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its going into early 8-5 and this still hasnt been fixed wtf!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    hehe...had to google what a VPN was...not sure thats a solution for me, but trying. I have the silly notion that if I pay for a service, it should work :p
  • Options
    pherraspherras Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    varthelm wrote: »
    hehe...had to google what a VPN was...not sure thats a solution for me, but trying. I have the silly notion that if I pay for a service, it should work :p

Preposterous !
  • Options
    vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have been researching the problem. It appears that STO is not the only game affected by problems with Cogent. Many games that route a part of their traffic through Cogent have these problems. CogentCo is a constant, while a players' ISP is a variable.

Here is a Blizzard example:

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/1146.aspx

It would appear that Cogent is a repeated offender. Still, I do not like what Verizon is doing, I do not remember my contract with them including any restrictions on bandwidth. Whatever their conflict with CogentCo, they should not be propagating their issues to clients.

I am reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling
  • Options
    fixit00fixit00 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The game boots up than times out on me. Dose anyone know what is going on?
  • Options
    treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stongbads wrote: »
    Well it's time for Cryptic to bring in a Verizon connection into their data center until this pissing match is done with.

Seconded!

[Actually, this is a remarkably simple and similar solution to the one I posted back on page 15 of this thread.]
  • Options
    darkwyndredarkwyndre Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Okay,

So a bunch of us who have Verizon or re-bundled Verizon internet connections are having problems where characters who try to zone into high pop sectors or spacedocks and such are getting timed out and then the character cannot be accessed.

The problem is easy to see if you tracert to the game's servers. You guys are renting server space with someone inside of Cogent's network. Right now Cogent is dumping a ridiculous amount of bandwidth into Verizon because Cogent is carrying all netflix traffic, and as a result Verizon is only allowing a limited amount to get through.

As a result, your customers are being hurt because your servers are utilizing Cogent for their bandwidth needs. You can't blame this on us and say it's a problem you can't fix, because you could very easily do a datacenter move or threaten to do so (I'm sure all of PWE's server costs are a pretty huge profit driver for Cogent) in order to resolve this problem.

How do I know the problem is as I say it is? Because I know how to use a VPN and how to control where my traffic is routed. If I route from Verizon into Cogent to you, I have problems. If I route into Cogent from any non-verizon infrastructure, there are no problems.

Verizon is one of the largest residential ISP in the country, and for many of us the only option. I've spent nearly $600 on this game, including a lifetime subscription, and I was planning to buy the $150 Legacy pack soon, but now I have to pay for a reliable VPN so I can play lag free, so I'm now looking at $5-$10 a month, minimum, to play a game I have a lifetime subscription to.

You guys are a business and you need to stop passing the buck. You chose to do business with the datacenter partner you chose. None of us who are being screwed by your choice had anything to do with it. Stop claiming it is our ISP and there's nothing you can do about it and start behaving like a proper business. I have paid you a ridiculous amount of money for the amount of hours I've been connected to your service. I would hazard a guess that right now I've paid something like $2-$3 per hour of playtime that I've played.

I want to support you and the game, but having my support requests ignored and being essentially told to f*** off after you already had my money is quite enough. Your server and bandwidth provider is not fulfilling its obligation and that needs to change. I paid a lifetime subscription to be able to play the game any time I wanted so long as it's still running.

Get your act together. With as many threads as I've seen merged and customers angry, this is starting to smell like class action territory. It is at least a breach of the contract you made with me when I purchased a lifetime subscription.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You may be onto something...look what I found in reference to a similar problem with Cogent nearly a year ago.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/9314/article/gamers-in-texas-unable-to-play-star-trek-online-and-champions-online/

Guess where I live...

In anycase not only might PWE have to look at its choices for a server vendor but there is clearly some history of issues with this company they are using if I am understanding the OP correctly.
  • Options
    shaneseifertshaneseifert Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm with darkwyndre, this is very uncool.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You are right that it's in lawsuit territory. Verizon is breaking the law, breaking their contract with Cogent, breaking their contracts with customers, lying to the public, and for the last couple weeks now is in defiance of a court order, and as a bonus is using this to extort money from their customers (you can get the "problem" "fixed" by purchasing additional services from Verizon). So obviously we should all sue Cryptic.
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    At this point I don't care whose fault it is, PWE needs to raise hell on our behalf, because they will lose a huge amount of their playerbase if they don't. I know I will definitely s-can this game and move on if this continues any longer. I've done my part by giving Verizon an earful, now the PWE business side needs to act.

Oh, and for frak sake, say something to acknowledge this problem, consolidate and sticky a thread with a dev response...something, anything to let us know we aren't being blown-off.
  • Options
    shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    At this point I don't care whose fault it is, PWE needs to raise hell on our behalf, because they will lose a huge amount of their playerbase if they don't. I know I will definitely s-can this game and move on if this continues any longer. I've done my part by giving Verizon an earful, now the PWE business side needs to act.

Oh, and for frak sake, say something to acknowledge this problem, consolidate and sticky a thread with a dev response...something, anything to let us know we aren't being blown-off.

I feel your pain, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response.
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rist30 wrote: »
    O M G, it worked. I really don't know why but using VPN service apparently helps.

Followed your advice and found one free VPN service to test it out and it works :D

Did some testing as well.

Connected to VPN and logged in without issues.
    Disconnected from VPN, while logged in, and got immediately kicked to log in screen and again not able to log back in due to server time out.
    Connected to VPN again and logged in again without issues.

Wth, is there some conspiracy here? lol

Will do some more testing to see how far goes server time out thing ones it kicks in. Does it blocks you out for good or just from zoning to specific maps etc.

And thank you, thank you, thank you very much for the tip :D

It's politics, not a conspiracy. In short, Verizon and Cogent are fighting and we're suffering for it.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rist30 wrote: »
    VPN service helps. I don't know how but it does (by anonymity? xD). If nothing else you can use any free VPN to at least unstuck your character. Turn on VPN, load character, zone the he** out of that map, turn off VPN and everything is fine, even going back to that map.

It has to do with the way traffic is routed through the internet.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    f19specterf19specter Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So wait, those of us who cant log in to our main charcters are screwed for the time being because of this immature brawl the ISPs are getting in to? or because the server is wasted? By the way the chat also goes offline randomly.
  • Options
    vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still unable to log on, this is day #3.
  • Options
    ralidynralidyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pretty pissed that I was denied a Risa Corvette because of this TRIBBLE. I would be cutting it close anyway, but not being able to get on until late Aug 4 made me miss the deadline; I was going to get the rest of the pearls through lobi.

But, I guess Cryptic really doesn't care about problems that customers experience and won't extend it.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    f19specter wrote: »
    So wait, those of us who cant log in to our main charcters are screwed for the time being because of this immature brawl the ISPs are getting in to? or because the server is wasted? By the way the chat also goes offline randomly.

Its not the Servers... I have no problems connecting from my Comcast ISP out of the Silicon Valley...