What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• Options
    verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My roommate has used a VPN to work around it, he can connect using this method, but its slow and a bit choppy for him, apparently he is passing through European servers on it.

Im going to try it my self here in a bit, food first, see how it works.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *slap forehead*

Oh my frakkin'....ahhhh...the most simple thing to do.:D

*Did the shutdown of router and modem, with a 20 seconds cool off*

-Punch up the STO launcher-

-Launcher now verifying STO file intergity-

-Hit Engage Button-

-Now waiting....-

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee are BACK!!!!! :D:D

-Did not have to reinstall the game-
    I spent over a half hour chatting online with a Verizon customer rep. I was polite but told them I knew about the feud between Verizon/Cogent, that this was apparently a throttling/routing issue, and copied/pasted the pertinent trace route and net test info I gleaned.

I'm a network engineer contracted to the USAF, and I know unless you can happily go looking anywhere you want on someone's network, that you can gather evidence, but it's still an extrapolation. In other words, I'm open minded because I know crazy stuff goes on on networks.

I let the customer rep reboot our connection at their end, and then I rebooted the Verizon router on my end. I was able to connect to the patch server and am now downloading the STO software, (I had uninstalled it to attempt a re-install). This is a lot better than I was doing before, which was the "cannot authenticate" error.

Am I logged on and playing? NO. But I'm better off than I was before.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or argue what IS or IS NOT the problem. I'm stating what I've done, and my progress thus far. Once the install completes we'll see where we go from there.

Someone who does not need to do a re-install can more quickly determine if having Verizon kill the ISP-end connection AND rebooting the home router might actually be a fix, or a wild goose chase. Hence, I'm passing on this information.

I make no promises, so don't blame me if it does not work. :D

Regards,
    Mike
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Went ahead and tried the whole shutdown and restart of my modem/router anyway just to make sure. No joy, still can't get into game. Looks like I'll have to wait I guess.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    shaneseifertshaneseifert Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    YEah I gave it a shot as well. No joy here either. Ive submitted a ticket. Im having zero problems with anything else on the net. ONLY with STO. Very odd and frustrating. :mad:
  • Options
    dregatardregatar Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dregatar wrote: »
    I am having the same issue and I using Verizon FIOS. I can log onto all of my characters except my main and since last light have had issues with the launcher patching (reinstalling the game didn't fix the issue).

I don't necessarily think that the issue is with Verizon. If it were Verizon blocking access to the servers as other have suggested then we wouldn't be able to log onto any of our characters. The problem is mostly likely one of Cryptic's main servers where most of us have our characters stored is having some sort of issue which is preventing connection.

:mad: Please resolve this soon Cryptic as it is extremely annoying an frustrating to be locked out of our main character or any character that we want to play for that matter! :mad:
    I am able to connect to my main again. I promptly moved him away from ESD just in case this is one of the affected zones.

If this does turn out to be a Verizon issue I am switching back to Comcast (Yikes! I never thought I would live to hear myself say that). Comcast may the the equivalent of the Borg in how they gobble up all other ISP's but I would rather deal with them than with a tyrants like Verizon who keeps going to war with everyone in order to control access to content (first Youtube thottling and now possibly STO).
  • Options
    ralidynralidyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If this does turn out to be a Verizon issue I am switching back to Comcast (Yikes! I never thought I would live to hear myself say that). Comcast may the the equivalent of the Borg in how they gobble up all other ISP's but I would rather deal with them than with a tyrants like Verizon who keeps going to war with everyone in order to control access to content (first Youtube thottling and now possibly STO).
    You really have zero idea what the issue is, do you? Because that comment is one born of ignorance of the situation.

I will spell it out for people: Verizon and Cogent have an agreement to balance the loads on each other. Cogent is not sticking to the agreement and sending far more data to Verizon than Verizon is to Cogent. Verizon is not opening ports to handle it without Cogent paying for using the significant increase in bandwidth. Cogent is who is at fault here, but they both need to stop acting like children about it.

I hope that concisely encapsulates the problem. Now, people just need to stop formulating opinions that do not reflect reality.

edit: You also do not seem to understand why YouTube is slow, or you would know that blocking two different ranges of IPs will stop pulling data from the CDNs and pull it directly from YouTube's servers, thus giving you full speed on 720p and 1080p videos. The YouTube issue is not solely a Verizon problem, as all ISPs limit data on CDNs like what happens with YouTube.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem unable to authenticate as of around 7 pm Eastern. New Jersey, USA here. Using Verizon FIOS as well. Unable to authenticate here is my tracer stuff...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\school_user>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 2 ms 2 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 9 ms 12 ms 8 ms L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-116.verizon-gni.net [71.172.24
    4.1]
    3 10 ms 11 ms 7 ms G0-5-1-6.NWRKNJ-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
    15.76]
    4 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms ae2-0.NWRK-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.1
    70]
    5 43 ms 16 ms 37 ms 0.ge-1-1-0.XL4.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.6.153]
    6 18 ms 21 ms 18 ms 0.ge-9-3-0.GW15.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.24.54]
    7 20 ms 19 ms 18 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.134.214]

8 20 ms 19 ms 23 ms border11.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.1
    04]
    9 103 ms 103 ms 111 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    10 94 ms 96 ms 99 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.

C:\Users\school_user>

and from the second one...

contacting nettest server..
    Local IP: 74.102.31.154
    Ping: 111.1 msec
    Port: 80: 64 KB/sec 6 KB/sec 77 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 43 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 46 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 60 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 64 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 51 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 54 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 65 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 70 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 51 KB/sec 4 KB/sec 55 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 56 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 59 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 100 KB/sec 5 KB/sec 108 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 60 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 63 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 72 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 76 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 48 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 51 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 75 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 79 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 66 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 73 KB/sec 500
    Idle NIC bandwidth Send: 0 KB/sec Recv: 1 KB/sec
    hit return to exit

This is all not good please help.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    dregatardregatar Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ralidyn wrote: »
    You really have zero idea what the issue is, do you? Because that comment is one born of ignorance of the situation.

I will spell it out for people: Verizon and Cogent have an agreement to balance the loads on each other. Cogent is not sticking to the agreement and sending far more data to Verizon than Verizon is to Cogent. Verizon is not opening ports to handle it without Cogent paying for using the significant increase in bandwidth. Cogent is who is at fault here, but they both need to stop acting like children about it.

I hope that concisely encapsulates the problem. Now, people just need to stop formulating opinions that do not reflect reality.

edit: You also do not seem to understand why YouTube is slow, or you would know that blocking two different ranges of IPs will stop pulling data from the CDNs and pull it directly from YouTube's servers, thus giving you full speed on 720p and 1080p videos. The YouTube issue is not solely a Verizon problem, as all ISPs limit data on CDNs like what happens with YouTube.
    Here is a idea for you. SHUT UP! I don't care for your condescending reply when all that I did I was made a civil post in reply to my first post. Nor do I necessarily agree with this assessment of your in regards to the issues connecting. I respectfully disagree with your assessment. It would affect more than just one character if this Verizon/Cogent issue was all that was going on. I am sorry that you can't understand simple logic and reasoning.
  • Options
    tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ralidyn wrote: »

The problem with your synopsis is that Cogent isn't just shoving the traffic downstream for no reason. That traffic is being requested. It is being requested by Verizon customers who, ironically enough, *pay* Verizon for exactly that.

On topic, I have re-packaged Verizon service and get a dns error when trying to connect *shrug*
  • Options
    nashtoitsapwnashtoitsapw Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I have Verizon Home DSL which was keeping me from two of my FED Characters...I shut down my router, booted my 4G Verizon JetPack that I use for work...I got into both characters, moved them off of Risa and out into Sector Space...them went back to the Home DSL service and can get into them both...for how long I do not know, but time will tell...
  • Options
    maxthunder01maxthunder01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The launcher loads for me: i hit engage and well the game dosent go to the loading screen for cryptic now just freezes, i even reinstalled and download the patches but still becomes unresponsive at the cryptic loading screen.
  • Options
    saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For what it's worth, I called Verizon and had them reset the connection on their end and reset my router to factory, and I was able to get in to my primary toon. I changed maps several times without issue.

Now, I had always been able to get into the game, I just couldn't get in to my character, and that same fix hasn't done anything to help other people in the thread... just wanted to say it worked for me for the moment.

Cooking dinner now, I'll see if in about an hour if I can still log in. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Here is a idea for you. SHUT UP! I don't care for your condescending reply when I was made a civil post. Nor do I necessarily agree with this assessment of your in regards to the issues connecting. I respectfully disagree with your assessment. It would affect more than just one character if this Verizon/Cogent issue was all that was going on. I am sorry that you can't understand simple logic and reasoning.

The vast majority of us are being affected by a authentication error, however the whole problem with the ports isn't nessicairly going to case a full service outage, does your case sound odd, yes, but what he is talking about is back up by several facts, provable ones.

so why cant you understand simple logic, and reasoning.

Verizon and cognent are in a spat, its involves moving data around through each others networks, this spat is leading to congestion of ports while they fight over who's going to pay, that congestion can cause all sorts of outages, partial outages.

Now who's to blame, that's debatable form a paying customer standpoint, but what is fact is how the agreement is supposed to work, Cognant hosts net flicks, the data coming from them is higher then the data being sent too them by Verizon. this is resulting in Verizon refusing to pick up the check and open ports on their dime, sorry Verizon I pay you not cognant, this impacts me, which result in all sorts of problems.

the ports arnt blocked, they arnt closed, so data can get through. They are however congested with data, which means priorities kick in, data gets handled by types, things back up, service at the user end goes to hell in a hand basket, becomes spotty or slow at best, stops all together at worst.

So yes there is a chance, and a way that it could be causing you not to be able to authorize all the chars on the account, or causing other foul ups in loading up your account chars.

But one thing is very, very clear, a vast majority of the problems, if not all of them, I leave room for oddballs, were Verizon is the isp provider, are going to be this issue, if you read over the larger posts on the subject in this thread you'll see that, and the evidence to back it up.

This is backed up by cases were people have used another provider, and suddenly BAM problem is gone, like my room mate using a vpn.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Just to let you know, I'm currently using Comcast out of the Silicon Valley, and I've completed avoided the drama occurring in this thread...

And Comcast is legally bound not to throttle or interfere with competing Internet services, as part of the FCC requirements for approval of the Comcast buyout of the NBC TV network...
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    BTW, used a VPN program, and yes, it is a suitable workaround until this is settled. I'm using Norton hotspot privacy...expensive compared to a free option ($40 USD) but works well so far.

Funny enough, still getting a better signal on two computers simultaneously through the VPN on Verizon than I used to get with one computer on Cablevision.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yup problem is Verizon...I personally don't care what personal issues they are having with another company just as they don't care about mine. Simple point is I pay my end for 30/30 up/down uninterrupted service to any site online (not just what they want) they aren't doing their end of the deal...solution I'll be switching back to Comcast and giving them my $150.00 a month for tv/Internet/phone and all that other garbage if Verizon doesn't get its act together.
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Sadly I'm stuck with Verizon since Comcast is being stupid. Long story short, Comcast won't accept that I am a legal resident of the house I'm currently living in and refuses to provide service based on that. Verizon however, does recognize me as a legal resident and has no issues hooking me up. So basically I have a choice between Verizon and no internet at all. And that really isn't a choice lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    stongbadsstongbads Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well it's time for Cryptic to bring in a Verizon connection into their data center until this pissing match is done with.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Sadly I'm stuck with Verizon since Comcast is being stupid. Long story short, Comcast won't accept that I am a legal resident of the house I'm currently living in and refuses to provide service based on that. Verizon however, does recognize me as a legal resident and has no issues hooking me up. So basically I have a choice between Verizon and no internet at all. And that really isn't a choice lol.

Im now using the openbook vpn, europeon server packs my room mate used, its a work around, a bit slow, but youll be on.
  • Options
    rist30rist30 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have same issues as well.

1 hour and half ago, warped to risa, impulse to planet, clicked for event map, loading screen and bam "timed out connecting to game server". Still can't log in to that character. And, as someone mentioned above, it doesn't even reach "loading xx map" part, it just kicks back to log in screen....

THAT character, NOT every character. I can log in perfectly fine with all my other characters so it CAN'T be client side, isp, gateway or whatever on OUR side. It's something in game/game server/whatever.

This is not first time this is happening. In fact i got kinda used to it.

I came to believe that for every character there is some random map to which that particular character won't be able to log in and will get server timed out error. It's like every time you log in, dice is rolled, tags random map and if you try to go there you will be locked out for a random time. It can be minutes, hours, days... At least, that's how it feels and that's how we experience it in the end.

Worst, and best, is when it happens loading to stf map. Worst, because you "leave" team, best because you are sure you will be able to log back in with "safe" login, and 1h stf leaver penalty, ofc... -.-

Real bad is the case when safe log in actually tries to log you to map in which you are actually stuck. Then you are in d**p sh*t...

Think i don't need to mention but tried all i can think off. Restart client, restart PC, restart router, start in safe mode, force verify, playing with video settings, deleting game cache files, deleting (and restoring) character files in game folder and whatnot. No go.

Sometimes helps switching back and forth between alts but usually just patience and a lot of nerve is needed to keep trying to log in...

And it seems that server maintenance/patching fixes the issue. At least, so far, it always fixed it for me. Whatever log in issues i had, it disappeared after server maintenance. So, another pointer to SERVER side issue, hm?

Overall, it's really annoying and it's perfect mood killer for enjoying the game...

Regards
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Nice. I'll have to check out VPN stuffs tomorrow, but at least it's a work around for the time being. Thanks!
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Verizon DSL customer here. Unable to log in for the past 24 or so hours.

[Connection problem]
    Unable to establish connection to Patch Server. Please check your internet connection.
    If problems persist please contact Technical Support.

I get this error on 2 different computers in my home.

Just used the VPN called hotspot shield that was linked earlier. I'm in.
    Verizon ball is in your court.
    for those seeking cable...I give you the following link.
    http://optimum.com/home-internet-service/internet-speed/ultra50.jsp

See you around the 'verse.
  • Options
    sigvoldsigvold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Started a VPN service after the launcher timing out for two days. seems to have bypassed the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about VPN services or how to set them up. I guess I'm gonna have to read up on it.

Just called Verizon of course their tech department doesn't know anything about it. I had them reset my box/router/service from their end and it did boost my speeds back to the 30/30 but I still get the unable to authenticate into STO.

I can still log into STO Gateway and look at both of my characters and Fed and KDF fleet. Hope this is all fixed soon or I'll have to pony up the $300 bucks to break my contract and I will do it too.
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about VPN services or how to set them up. I guess I'm gonna have to read up on it.

Just called Verizon of course their tech department doesn't know anything about it. I had them reset my box/router/service from their end and it did boost my speeds back to the 30/30 but I still get the unable to authenticate into STO.

I can still log into STO Gateway and look at both of my characters and Fed and KDF fleet. Hope this is all fixed soon or I'll have to pony up the $300 bucks to break my contract and I will do it too.

see if you can file with the fcc or someone for breech of contract and get out of the 300, because sorry, even if the problem really is cognant needing to pay for the extra load in the end, you pay Verizon, and Verizon has it in their ability to correct the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    verline1 wrote: »
    see if you can file with the fcc or someone for breech of contract and get out of the 300, because sorry, even if the problem really is cognant needing to pay for the extra load in the end, you pay Verizon, and Verizon has it in their ability to correct the problem.

True. Well my contract is up in November. Hopefully they can fix the problem by then. I can also log in from other friends house if necessary if push comes to shove. I don't think Verizon will do anything about the problem because its a money issue with Cogent.

This did happen last month as well for like 2 days (massive lag spikes) and then the problem went away until today. We'll see I'll log on tomorrow morning while people are out at work and see what happens. In the mean time I'm just gonna be part of the problem and go watch Star Trek on Netflix :P
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rist30 wrote: »
    I have same issues as well.

1 hour and half ago, warped to risa, impulse to planet, clicked for event map, loading screen and bam "timed out connecting to game server". Still can't log in to that character. And, as someone mentioned above, it doesn't even reach "loading xx map" part, it just kicks back to log in screen....

THAT character, NOT every character. I can log in perfectly fine with all my other characters so it CAN'T be client side, isp, gateway or whatever on OUR side. It's something in game/game server/whatever.

This is not first time this is happening. In fact i got kinda used to it.

I came to believe that for every character there is some random map to which that particular character won't be able to log in and will get server timed out error. It's like every time you log in, dice is rolled, tags random map and if you try to go there you will be locked out for a random time. It can be minutes, hours, days... At least, that's how it feels and that's how we experience it in the end.

Worst, and best, is when it happens loading to stf map. Worst, because you "leave" team, best because you are sure you will be able to log back in with "safe" login, and 1h stf leaver penalty, ofc... -.-

Real bad is the case when safe log in actually tries to log you to map in which you are actually stuck. Then you are in d**p sh*t...

Think i don't need to mention but tried all i can think off. Restart client, restart PC, restart router, start in safe mode, force verify, playing with video settings, deleting game cache files, deleting (and restoring) character files in game folder and whatnot. No go.

Sometimes helps switching back and forth between alts but usually just patience and a lot of nerve is needed to keep trying to log in...

And it seems that server maintenance/patching fixes the issue. At least, so far, it always fixed it for me. Whatever log in issues i had, it disappeared after server maintenance. So, another pointer to SERVER side issue, hm?

Overall, it's really annoying and it's perfect mood killer for enjoying the game...

Regards

Find a VPN service. That's a work around that has been working for me.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For those interested in exploring a VPN, there is a company that advertises on the tech network I watch.

It is $10 monthly or $75 if you buy a year subscription.
    7 day moneyback trial if you sign up with a credit card.

20% off if you go this page: http://proxpn.com/twit/

and enter the code: SN20 at the sign up page

I am NOT affiliated with any of these companies, just trying to help out.

Edit to add: Please note a VPN MAY (sometimes massively) slow your connection speed and create lag, making games and other low latency activities unusable. Buyer beware!

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Taking anywhere from 10 to 15 attempts to transfer between maps. Loading progress reaches 94%, stops and the SNR pops up and dumps me at exactly 10%.

It's only affecting my "senior" Romulan and my "senior" Fed. The rest of my toons load normally and can transfer maps at will.