test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
Tried to log on a while ago, and after entering my credentials in the launcher, I get the message "Unable to authenticate" in the botton left corner where the update progress bar usually is. I can't find any way to get around it and logged into the game.

Anyone else having this problem or found a solution?

EDIT BY ASKRAY:

Hey folks! It looks like the majority of issues is between Verizon and Cogent. If you would like you can follow Branflakes' instructions and post Trace routes and Net stats by checking his official reply to this thread

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11748351#post11748351

Suuperduude also made an awesome informative post on how to get to play the games affected and it's located at
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=817141
Post edited by sneyeper on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do a Forced Verify from the launcher to make certain none of your files are corrupted, then trying logging in again.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried it - it had no effect.

Any other ideas. I have tried using a proxy too.
  • Options
    malebissemalebisse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am unable to use one of my characters because I am receiving a Login2_Timeout on all attempts to log this character in. All of my other characters are useable but unfortunately, the one that I can't log into is my primary character. Also the client acts as if it had recovered from a crash when I try to use this particular character as I receive the dialog that asks me to choose between a normal or a safe login.

Has anyone else encountered this issue since the last update/patch?

:confused:
  • Options
    captpraecaptprae Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am having this issue with ALL of my characters. Up until an hour ago, I was happily playing. I decided to switch characters and now I cannot log into any of them. The exact same issue happens, I attempt to log in, it times out, requires me to sign back in, then asks me of I want to log in normal or safe with any character I attempt to play.
    Back to the login screen after a few seconds of "server not responding", rinse/repeat.
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey everyone...is anyone else having a hard time connecting to STO? Can't get the patcher to open, can't get the GameClient to run; furthermore, everything was just fine earlier today.

ISP is Verizon FiOS
  • Options
    johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just happened about half an hour ago to me. Just finished Azure Rescue on my main, game logged me out and that was it. I can login to my Romulan alt just fine, but on my main I get the "Normal / Safe" login choice followed by a timeout error no matter what I choose. Already filled a ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Have this issue with a new toon. Created the toon, tried to log-in with it, but timed out at around 92% Thought I'd just relog...big mistake. Now the patcher won't even start.

Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tired connecting 5 times.

Connection problem

Unable to establish connection to patch server. etc. etc.
  • Options
    dammitimmad1dammitimmad1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having the same problem. Getting a "Cannot connect to patch server" error after opening the launcher. Am on Verizon FiOS as well.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Same issue here, I made the mistake of exiting out of the launcher completely...now I can't get the launcher to work. All this started with timeout issues with a newly created toon.

Attempts to connect at least five times, then gives me the: Unable to establish connection to patch server.

I also have FIOS.
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am from PA with Verizon getting problems too. I downloaded a free VPN server program (google it). And am able to connect via that.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried it - it had no effect.

Any other ideas. I have tried using a proxy too.
    Same problem.

Sounds like both of you need to run the network diagnostics described in this thread... ( http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155 ) and post the results, as it could very well be your ISP that is causing the problems...
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey everyone...is anyone else having a hard time connecting to STO? Can't get the patcher to open, can't get the GameClient to run; furthermore, everything was just fine earlier today.

ISP is Verizon FiOS
    lan451 wrote: »
    Having the same problem. Getting a "Cannot connect to patch server" error after opening the launcher. Am on Verizon FiOS as well.

Both of you need to complain loudly to Verizon for not providing the connection bandwidth that you are paying for... As currently, Verizon is having a little business dispute with Cogent Communications...

http://gigaom.com/2013/06/20/verizon-that-peering-flap-about-netflix-is-cogents-fault/

http://www.telecomramblings.com/2013/06/verizon-cogent-tussle-over-peering-and-netflix/
  • Options
    omgitzstartrekomgitzstartrek Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    same here. cant log into my main, tried to log in five times before giving up
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Seems from the other threads on this issue that it's a Verizon Fios issue. Do you all have Fios?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Verizon ignores any complaints of this matter.
    Doc of Hammer
  • Options
    idlehand13idlehand13 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Okay just real quick, this morning (about 1am) I was playing along just fine. However since this afternoon, I cannot get into the game to save my soul. Log in wont patch, connection times out and server quits responding. I got in long enough to "aide the daferi" then, in usual fashion, the server quits. I tried to log in with a different computer to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my new laptop, but even the other computer has the same issue. What happened in the last 12 hours? Did somebody trip over a cord in the garage or something? is it the game, the new Arc platform, the romulan thing or what? Did a solar flare hit? What gives? is anybody else having this problem?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wdoc wrote: »
    Verizon ignores any complaints of this matter.

So we are basically screwed?
  • Options
    draylldrayll Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think i am getting a similar issue, if not the same one. However mine is coming back with Unable to Authenticate. I was able to play earlier before Supper but now i am unable to. I do have Verizon DSL service, because the won't extend the Fios Cable the 500 more feet to reach my house. They said they would do it if i want to pay the 5k to do it.
  • Options
    ralidynralidyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am on FiOS as well. Tracert and nettest are below.

edit: also did a release and renew. same thing. derp.
    C:\Windows\system32>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms L100.RCMDVA-VFTTP-18.verizon-gni.net [98.117.71.
    1]
    3 14 ms 11 ms 12 ms G0-3-1-4.RCMDVA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
    84.90]
    4 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms ge-4-3-0-0.ATL01-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81
    .29.114]
    5 53 ms 39 ms 38 ms 0.ae1.XL4.BOS4.ALTER.NET [140.222.226.15]
    6 41 ms 38 ms 39 ms 0.xe-11-1-0.GW15.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.21.46]
    7 46 ms 49 ms 48 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.134.214]

8 54 ms 48 ms 49 ms border11.te7-1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.4
    1]
    9 59 ms 68 ms 71 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    10 61 ms 58 ms 58 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\temp

C:\temp>nettest
    contacting nettest server..
    Local IP: 71.251.231.239
    Ping: 68.2 msec
    Port: 80: 59 KB/sec 9 KB/sec 79 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 31 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 51 KB/sec 7 KB/sec 109 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 62 KB/sec 8 KB/sec 90 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 30 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 35 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 38 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 45 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 57 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 70 KB/sec 3 KB/sec 75 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 50 KB/sec 7 KB/sec 74 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 35 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 39 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 55 KB/sec 2 KB/sec 60 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: timed out
    Port: 80: 33 KB/sec 1 KB/sec 35 KB/sec 500
    Idle NIC bandwidth Send: 0 KB/sec Recv: 1 KB/sec
    hit return to exit
  • Options
    scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am having a similar issue. I was getting a lot of disconnects when trying to enter a system from sector space, so I closed the cgame down, restarted my machine and tried to log in again. The launcher just sists there. IF I out in an incorrect Password or account name, it gives me an error (So I knwo the launcher is talking to Cryptic) But it will not even get tot he patcher. Further, my other account seems to be able to at lest get to the patcher (My laptop hasn't been updated to STO for a week or so, so it is still patching)
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Both of you need to complain loudly to Verizon for not providing the connection bandwidth that you are paying for... As currently, Verizon is having a little business dispute with Cogent Communications...

http://gigaom.com/2013/06/20/verizon-that-peering-flap-about-netflix-is-cogents-fault/

http://www.telecomramblings.com/2013/06/verizon-cogent-tussle-over-peering-and-netflix/

Wow, absolute garbage. I switched to FiOS b/c I was timing out at the Boston Cogent hop on Cablevision (making the game barely playable) and now a month later on FiOS I can't even log in. Considering those are the only two choices for high speed access around here, I think I'm quite screwed. :mad:

BTW, I never even heard of Cogent till I started having the problems in June. Who are these people anyway, and how come they have so much say???
  • Options
    wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The launcher connects to a different ip. When you log in....the launcher figures out were you are at in the country, then it connects you to the nearest hub. Boston in this case. Congentco is the isp up there that provides the service to Verizon in that area. They are having a dispute, so congentco throttles Verizon packets to get back at them.

Verizon will do a speedtest.....which doesn't go thru congentco in boston. They will say your speed is fine. If you bring up the issue with congentco, they will say they have no idea what you are talking about. When you give them the link to the news article, they will say they can not look at links at work.....
    Doc of Hammer
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Went to speedtest.net and picked the Boston servers.

The server hosted by Comcast ran fine at 25Mbit.

However the one hosted by DSCI Corporation would not go over 1Mbit (like 0.8Mbit) and lagged when connecting to it. Interestingly, the upload speed was normal.

The server hosted by Towerstream started off not going higher than 5Mbit and then went to the full 25Mbit.

I really despise this petty BS that these companies engage in because it is the customer that gets screwed.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm having problems as well as per usual. Another more recent and expanded article on the problem to help inform and pass the time:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/

...*SIGH*

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kimony wrote: »
    I'm having problems as well as per usual. Another more recent and expanded article on the problem to help inform and pass the time:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/

...*SIGH*
    I just blocked the IPs for the CDNs so I get the data straight from YouTube's server, so 720P and 1080P videos load fast like they should.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread. Back to the issue at hand...
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just started having some serious connection issues. I tried to log into the system eight to nine times, and I keep getting disconnected from the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well this is odd - I can login and play as my alt (a Romulan) but not my main (A Fed). I was playing as the Fed when I was booted out of the game and keep getting the "Safe / Normal" login choice, but no matter what I choose the gameserver times out on just that character. Just finished my Nukara rep on that character today too.:mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Well this is odd - I can login and play as my alt (a Romulan) but not my main (A Fed). I was playing as the Fed when I was booted out of the game and keep getting the "Safe / Normal" login choice, but no matter what I choose the gameserver times out on just that character. Just finished my Nukara rep on that character today too.:mad:
    My experience started out the same way. After trying to log into the system a few more times, I ended up not being able to do anything. Very weird.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Launch interface stops at the login portion...with the words saying, "Unable to Authenicate" And no further....
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.