test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In a nutshell people watching Youtube (edit to add: and Netflix) are using so much bandwidth it's overloading and slowing everyones connection and causing drops and disconnects.

Meanwhile ISP's refuse to add additional connections to allow traffic to flow smoothly cause they all want more money and nobody wants to pay more money.

So it's basically like gridlock on the freeway at rush hour, too much traffic not enough roadway and everyone inching along at 5 MPH.

How does this relate to STO?:

STO uses the same pathways and bandwidth as all that Youtube (edit to add: and Netflix) and other traffic. That is why the Youtube/ Netfix stories are important, at least in my case.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I think I'm having a different problem than some of the other people who are having login issues tonight (I might be wrong).

I can log in to the game just fine, the launcher works, I log in and get to the screen where my character is standing with my BOFFs in front of my ship. I click my character and they all beam up.

The game starts to load, gets to 80-90%, and in the middle of the loading bar I get the red "Server Not Responding" message, and it starts ticking up the seconds. After about 5 seconds, the game kicks me back to the account login screen with "Timed Out Connecting to Game Server."

The initial problem arose about 4 hours ago, I had just flown across Beta Ursae and had clicked "Approach Deep Space 9." The map loaded partially, then I got the red "Server Not Responding" and I get kicked out of the game to the "Timed Out..." message. This had happened to me several times since Thursday, each time when I was trying to transition to a new map. Each time I was able to log back in and reload the map.

Now, regardless of if I try to log into my character with "Normal Login" or "Safe Login" I get the same result, the loading screen ticks up to 80-90%, I get the red "Sever Not Responding," the counter ticks up to about 5 seconds, and I get kicked out of the game.

This is my only character (Level 50 Fed), I just created a new KDF character to test whether I could load the game at all, and I could. The new character works just fine. I intend to delete that character soon, since it was only created for testing.

Please help. This has been my only character for nearly a year now. I really hope he hasn't been corrupted.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Got the same problem, and it is a gateway issue...someone is not letting info through...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Exact same problem here. I played my alt for about an hour so I know it's not a connection issue now. I filed a ticket. tried launching through Steam, through ARC, and forced verify all my files, Problem is not on my end or ISP. Fingers crossed for us both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its Netflix related.
    Doc of Hammer
  • vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Today, all of a sudden, I am unable to launch STO. The launcher starts up more or less normally, and then produces "This program cannot display the webpage" screen, and simultaneously an IE window opens that duplicates the info. It says:

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

- Internet connectivity has been lost. - negative on this obviously
    - The website is temporarily unavailable. - I can reach STO website
    - The Domain Name Server (DNS) is unreachable - negative
    - The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain - ?

I have tried: re-downloading the launcher, clearing out IE cache, checking that it does not have any kind of proxy settings enabled.

Please help!
  • sardaxxsardaxx Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't connect

its Aug 3 23:30 EST
    edited August 2013
    It would appear it might just be my federation character.

I can get on with my Klingon. Does tech support review these forums?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Working for me right now.

What exact message does it give?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • maxthunder01maxthunder01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    say: server timed out. something to that effect
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sardaxx wrote: »
    It would appear it might just be my federation character.

I can get on with my Klingon. Does tech support review these forums?

This is not a technical support area so no.

There is the peer to peer area located down the forums list or you can go to http://techsupport.perfectworld.com to get actual PWE support.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• aumeeraumeer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the same issue. I got kicked out of game earlier today on my main and now I can't login with him at all. I can get on my alt just fine. This is very frustrating.
  • quixoticlancequixoticlance Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same boat as the rest of you. Out in California...but I do use Verizon DSL. Was playing fine this morning, went away for lunch, came back and bammo...the launcher won't launch as it tries to connect to update itself.

Good to know it's not just me. Misery, company, and all like that.

But yes...same boat as the rest of you.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same boat. Texas, verizon DSL
    edited August 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

When I first try to log on it informs me there was an error trying to start my character in that area (or something like that) would I like to start in safe mode.

I've tried both modes.

then it says timed out.

Thanks for the replies.
  • wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Call Verizon and complain. They told me their central office would look at it.
    Doc of Hammer
    edited August 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

I had another problem with the same character in the same area last night (Bajor).

I went into the holodeck to fight the shapeshifter and still had one in my personal inventory.

When the simulation ended I no longer had my shapeshifter :(
    edited August 2013
    askray wrote: »
    This is not a technical support area so no.

There is the peer to peer area located down the forums list or you can go to http://techsupport.perfectworld.com to get actual PWE support.

I posted there just now, thanks.
  • rylek1234rylek1234 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am having the same issue as well. Can't log on to my Romulan character but can get on my Fed just fine. I opened a GM ticket in game to see if they can move my guy to a different map or something to see if that helps. :(
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ralidyn wrote: »
    I am on FiOS as well. Tracert and nettest are below.

edit: also did a release and renew. same thing. derp.

You have excellent latency, but poor throughput on your Net Test results. These kind of results are not surprising, due to the packet drop caused by Verizon refusing to expand the bandwidth of its Cogent Communication gateway to meet the demand from paying Verizon subscribers...
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So, I've tried both STO and Champions Online, and the launcher continues to say "Unable to Authenticate."

Anybody else having this issue?
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    So, I've tried both STO and Champions Online, and the launcher continues to say "Unable to Authenticate."

Anybody else having this issue?

Another thread was already started. Yes, others are also having this issue.

In before the thread gets moved just like the other one.
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Another thread was already started. Yes, others are also having this issue.

In before the thread gets moved just like the other one.

I did not see the other thread. What section is it located in so that I may post there?
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • bivitarbivitar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm having the same problem on multiple systems.

Verizon FiOS in the Fairfax, VA area.

Cold restarted modem, router, computers to no avail. Also ensured game was clear on firewall.

I haven't changed any system or network setting on either computer and they both were working earlier today.
  • vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Verizon FIOS here too, in Tampa, FL.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was fitting trying to get into the fleet mine earlier, kept timing out to the server.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank GOD this is the only thing that goes through Cogent's networks, so I can just shelve the game till the babies stop arguing.
  • captpraecaptprae Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Seems from the other threads on this issue that it's a Verizon Fios issue. Do you all have Fios?

No, I do not have Fios.
  • gawonisgawonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am glad I'm not the only one having these problems. I live on the east coast and I have verizon fios as well. I wasn't having any problems like this until late June and all of a sudden lag has gotten really bad and I get dropped from the game in the middle of quests. It's sooo frustrating. And, I've also experienced the same login issues where I don't get all lthe way into the game. Or, I can play one of my toons but not all. It sometimes just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks guys, for posting your experiences here so I know I'm not crazy!!