test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This happened to me just now on one of my characters. I loaded another character, then swapped over to my character that was having log in trouble, and I successfully logged in. Weird.
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm able to play on all but two of my characters. The affected two are on ESD and in the Sol System respectively. When I try to use them they time out. Safe Login or Normal Login it doesn't matter, they time out. >_<

Edit: I managed to get the one that was in Sol System to log-ion and immediately took him somewhere else. The one on ESD however is still stuck with "Timed out connecting to game server"
  • guar0xguar0x Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same issue here. I was playing earlier with my klingon character, got disconnected mid-mission. now i cant login with neither safe or normal login. my other characters work just fine. that was about 4 hours ago..
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey folks so I merged a bunch of your threads into one big Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate thread (and put a proper date so those that do dd/mm/year can understand it easier hehe).

From what I'm looking at it looks like it's a Verizon issue as most everyone here is posting that they have it. Sadly, there isn't anything I can suggest :( I know it's not anything anyone wants to hear so um...

I'm going to run away before everyone comes after me with pitchforks thinking I can do something about it *darts*:P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• sardaxxsardaxx Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same boat as the rest of you. Out in California...but I do use Verizon DSL. Was playing fine this morning, went away for lunch, came back and bammo...the launcher won't launch as it tries to connect to update itself.

Good to know it's not just me. Misery, company, and all like that.

But yes...same boat as the rest of you.

I created another federation character and could not log on with it either. The Klingon still works.. weird.

*edit*

I tried to play a mission with the Klingon, now he no longer works either.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well here is the question, are you all on Verizon FIOS?

If not and you've waited the 15 minute period after time out (basically, you tried logging in, it failed on that character and you wait 15 to get a new "instance") the question then becomes is there a specific zone you're all in that you're getting stuck at? I know saeyn said Beta Ursae/DS9 is that where it's hitting everyone too?

What could also be an issue is the servers, while all at the same data center, are not all the same server if that makes sense. to one pipe may be overloaded and you just happen to all be on the servers in that direction and getting stuck.

I dunno i'm tryin to come up with ideas at this point but I'm as confused as everyone else :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• guar0xguar0x Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well my character is at Eta Eridani, so that's not it. i also have verizon (as i was seeing another thread with people with connection issues also having verizon) so i dunno on that one.
    I tried connecting right after disconnect, 4 hours ago, it didn't work. i went out for about 3 hours, and tried again when i got back, so the 15min thing isn't it either hehehe.

I think i'll just try again tomorrow.
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We have Verizon here as well (DSL or Cable or something)... so add us to the list. I'm gonna wager that it's definitely Verizon... damnit.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • czarnicholas2kczarnicholas2k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am also having the OP's issue. Verizon FIOS here. Error occured in transition from BU to ZA. 2 out of 3 of my toons are able to login. Only one is timed out...
  • omgitzstartrekomgitzstartrek Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yeah i got verizon... but my mate whos in Australia doesnt and has the same prob
  • hotelkatzhotelkatz Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am unable to log in with my Romulan character, but I am able to log in with my fed character. I was trying to enter the Alpha Trianguli sector with my Rom character, and now I can't log in my Rom character.
  • sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem for me. I am also on Verizon FIOS.
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same here. I now can't log my two Romulan characters on. I was trying to beam up to New Romulous System space. When I tried I got the timed out thing, and now can't log on with either.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is not STO severs, it is the gateways between one's PC and transmitting along the journey.

I at this time, cannot login in. I am stuck at Login mode, and it cannot be "Authenticate" states on the left hand corner as soon I send in my password.

I did Force Verify, and got the same message.
    askray wrote: »
    Well here is the question, are you all on Verizon FIOS?

If not and you've waited the 15 minute period after time out (basically, you tried logging in, it failed on that character and you wait 15 to get a new "instance") the question then becomes is there a specific zone you're all in that you're getting stuck at? I know saeyn said Beta Ursae/DS9 is that where it's hitting everyone too?

What could also be an issue is the servers, while all at the same data center, are not all the same server if that makes sense. to one pipe may be overloaded and you just happen to all be on the servers in that direction and getting stuck.

I dunno i'm tryin to come up with ideas at this point but I'm as confused as everyone else :(
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • starkad1111starkad1111 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same here. Verizon FIOS in Massachusetts.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We're having similar issues in Neverwinter.

Can login, run around/play in large instance zones but when trying to access single player instances, it hangs, then gets server not responding for ten seconds, then boots with the "Timed Out Connecting to GameServer" notice. Can log back in in safe mode, but cannot access the single player instances (which is much of the game).

Network issue, methinks.

I can't even get into STO, either.
  • ejqioxejqiox Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have not been able to get into the game for about a day
    this is the error message I get after I logon and the launcher tries to get into game

Fatal Error:Unable to Initialize on demand patching and connect to Patch server
    : The connection was Idle for too long

then I try again and get
    An error was detected by the game would you like to verify all files?
    Note: this may take 10-20 minutes

takes about 3-4 mins but it just does same thing all over I get other error message and the cycle begins again..
    I am on Verizon DSL in Brooklyn NY USA
    edited August 2013
    Neverwinter is having similar issues.

Likely it's the Cogent/Verizon problem.
  • niekostrousniekostrous Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since Verizon won't allow me to play STO, I'll use their DSL to surf switching back to Time Warner.
    I've had ENOUGH issues with Verizon since switching in April this year.
    The final straw kinda thing.
    Thank you. Have a lovely day.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I cant be the only one getting this. Just set in out of the blue last night and now if my toon is in space, it boots me with "Timed out Connecting to game server" as it tried to load the map.

Is it just me or is the game basically unplayable for others since roughly 1am CST?

ack...just saw the forum for these types of issues...please feel free to move. Sorry
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Well here is the question, are you all on Verizon FIOS? :(

Oddly enough...I am on Verizon FIOS. My friend across town said he was getting on fine so you may be on to something. Tried multiple toons, different areas of space so dont think it's that.
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Started getting this last night. I had been playing STO just fine all day, had logged off late, and when I tried to log back in I got "UNABLE TO AUTHENTICATE." I'd been getting DC errors too before I logged. Tried a few times to log in and couldn't.

Tried again this morning and got the same error. I rebooted my machine and my router, hoping that would help somehow, and now I can't even get to the launch screen. It goes through a few cycles then says it is unable to reach patch server. What gives?

I'm on Verizon FIOS in Massachusetts and it's sounding like this is a Verizon Being Putzes problem. Is there someone I can call to kick to fix this, and what should I ask them about? How long does this take for people to clear up, or have been been going weeks with no resolution? Because right now I can't get into STO or CO.
  • josegasparjosegaspar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Able to get to character selection but times out when connecting to the map. :(
    edited August 2013
    I'm on Verizon FIOS in Massachusetts and it's sounding like this is a Verizon Being Putzes problem. Is there someone I can call to kick to fix this, and what should I ask them about? How long does this take for people to clear up, or have been been going weeks with no resolution? Because right now I can't get into STO or CO.

A few weeks ago those of us on FIOS were having problems as well, and then they cleared up for some of us for a bit. Each time it is a little different, but in the end it's the network connectivity that suffers.

Likely not much we can do. It appears to relate to a corporate dispute between Cogent, the backbone pipe provider used by Cryptic (and Netflix), and Verizon about what to do when the content coming "inbound" from the Cogent pipe gets high. Normally, peer to peer connectors add ports for this, but Verizon wants Cogent to pay for this, and Cogent doesn't want to do so. So Verizon is not opening additional ports for the Cogent traffic, and allowing it to get clogged up due to saturated bandwidth. You can try complaining to Verizon, but from what I have read (there's an excellent Ars Technica article linked upthread that is worth reading, for example) this is now policy/strategy in terms of trying to monetize the relationships with the backbone providers to a greater degree. Basically, Verizon wants us to complain to Cryptic, who will then complain to Cogent, to put pressure on Cogent to pay Verizon and if we complain to Verizon they will say that they don't know what we are talking about, on the one hand, and, on the other, that this is a corporate issue relating to bandwidth use -- which is really isn't. It's a dispute relating to who gets the money, as are most disputes.
  • treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem here. Verizon FiOS TX. :mad:
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Verison DSL

I am still having issues.
  • johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Was able to play my Alt this morning for about a hour before switiching to my main, and was actually able to get him from Sol to Risa before I got booted again. Now I timeout on both characters, who seem to be stuck inbetween maps. I officially give up on pretending to know WTH is going on. Will lurk here to see if anything gets fixed. Good Luck to all.
    P.S. Verizon Fios N.E. USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Had these problems last night, so I went to bed early (As my evening plans were sorta shot)

I was up early today and was able tyo get in and play till about 9 AM Eastern. Looks like the intertubes filled up again...
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just spent $200 on keys on my main, went to switch maps now my main toon is stuck with a transfer error. Normal login boots me after 30 seconds, safe mode after 90.

Multiple relogs, reboots, force-verifies, patch-on-demand and everything else.

Oh and I too am on Verizon.
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A few weeks ago those of us on FIOS were having problems as well, and then they cleared up for some of us for a bit. Each time it is a little different, but in the end it's the network connectivity that suffers.

Likely not much we can do. It appears to relate to a corporate dispute between Cogent, the backbone pipe provider used by Cryptic (and Netflix), and Verizon about what to do when the content coming "inbound" from the Cogent pipe gets high. Normally, peer to peer connectors add ports for this, but Verizon wants Cogent to pay for this, and Cogent doesn't want to do so. So Verizon is not opening additional ports for the Cogent traffic, and allowing it to get clogged up due to saturated bandwidth. You can try complaining to Verizon, but from what I have read (there's an excellent Ars Technica article linked upthread that is worth reading, for example) this is now policy/strategy in terms of trying to monetize the relationships with the backbone providers to a greater degree. Basically, Verizon wants us to complain to Cryptic, who will then complain to Cogent, to put pressure on Cogent to pay Verizon and if we complain to Verizon they will say that they don't know what we are talking about, on the one hand, and, on the other, that this is a corporate issue relating to bandwidth use -- which is really isn't. It's a dispute relating to who gets the money, as are most disputes.

Good grief. Any idea how long this takes to clear up? Or do we have to wait until whenever someone remembers to push the "reset internet cache" button down at the main hub?