test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannot Login/Unable to Authenticate on Verizon/ FiOS - August 2013

Comments

• verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    drreverend wrote: »
    Good grief. Any idea how long this takes to clear up? Or do we have to wait until whenever someone remembers to push the "reset internet cache" button down at the main hub?

More like you have to wait till one side or the other picks up the tab, or net flicks volume goes down, or pwe gets a different distribution method for these games.

And if its about money, it could take months, or till one side or the other gets enough pressure to cave in.

and im getting the same problem, Verizon, Fios, unable to authenticate, in Florida.
  • sirnerdragesirnerdrage Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    From what I can read in this thread, it sounds like time to drop Verizon
  • zeven2004zeven2004 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am thinking the same, sirnerdrage.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    More like you have to wait till one side or the other picks up the tab, or net flicks volume goes down, or pwe gets a different distribution method for these games.

And if its about money, it could take months, or till one side or the other gets enough pressure to cave in.

and im getting the same problem, Verizon, Fios, unable to authenticate, in Florida.

Right.

It's an intermittent problem that will spike when volume in the pipe is higher for a period and then spike down. It does not seem to do that in real time, however (doubt many people are on Netflix right now in North America), but there seems to be a period cap in the port bandwidth that, once met, clogs until it resets or drains backlog load.

I am going to test this later today by logging in someplace other than my home through a different ISP (luckily have a friend in town this weekend at a hotel and apparently they are not connecting through Verizon). I will see if it is any different -- either way, it will be telling, I think.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same thing here, any toons logged out in system space cant be loaded. The "LOADING..." screen starts, then I see the red text for "server not responding" counter in the background, and then the game kicks back to login screen. The status message never gets around to the "LOADING XX SYSTEM" text in the upper right corner. Works alright on toons on the ground, and seems to work with toons in sector space.

I have only had the problem in New Romulus, dunno if its everywhere
  • joshuarhysjoshuarhys Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Did anyone have a launcher auto update before the launcher broke? Mine has been unable to authenticate regardless of isp, already tried that nettest and tracert. All my values are much higher than "good" standard, and pings around 47ms.

My neighbor has Comcast, I have Verizon, and I even tethered through my cell service and none of them fixed the launcher problem.

Hate to say it, but the problem is all Cryptic. I bet it has to do with that horrible now ARC piece of garbage.

I've been playing for about a year, do put money into it, and was about to save up for a lifetime membership...and this happened. Might have to give up my favorite game entirely due to this TRIBBLE.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    been patching since yesterday.....I gave up yesterday after an hour.

trying again now, buti ts going slow again
    Yeah, that's the weird thing. YouTube, everything else, that works fine. Connection is strong and fast. It's just that I can't connect to the patch server and can't authenticate when I do.
  • saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yep I'm on FIOS.

This morning everything seems to be working fine, I was able to log in right to my character and warped in to DS9.

That's ridiculous if the problem was some pissing match between FIOS and the rest of the internet about how much bandwidth they should provide. I pay them $60 / month for the interwebs... I should have access to the interwebs.
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    UPDATE: Verizon FiOS in NJ, patcher just started loading again (10:40 AM EST). The actual gameclient, however,cannot seem to connect to Cryptic. At least this is progress...:rolleyes:
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Day 2 or three...still not able to log in. Verison DSL Jamaica NY.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • herumor1herumor1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it booted me off the system at around midnight last night. been trying to log in since. Just getting "unable to authenticate" on the log in box. Anyone know why?
  • sardaxxsardaxx Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nothing from game support? they don't work weekends?
    edited August 2013
    I don't think they can do anything...this is a internet gateway issue on the lines, not server related.

Just did a ping test from PC Pitstop for their Dallas testing server...my ping replys are in the 2000 ms, which is stated on their test chart as a 'No response, the ping was blocked or the site did not reply'

Others have posted, that there's a dispute between Verizon and a 3rd party company on line fees usage. For all the intended purposes...we *those are affected* are held as hostages until the disputes are resolved.

sardaxx wrote: »
  • daksysdaksys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is happening only on my main character, I can log into the other two fine, even in the same sector.

In the afternoon yesterday, It crashed when I went from SFA ground to Sirius. Now when I try to log into him, it gets to 80 percent then gives a disconnected timer for exactly 10 seconds before booting me with "Timed out Connecting to game server"

I took one of my other characters there and did the same thing, and it worked fine. Why can't my secondary character be the one fubar?
  • praetornemopraetornemo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I get the same as well. Something to do with transferring character to its destination map. I have 7 other characters and got it on 1 of them but was able to log into that character a few minutes ago. Sadly I still can't get to the character I want to play as :(
    edited August 2013
    My character is in the Pi Canis sector block how about you guys?
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sardaxx wrote: »
    They do but this looks more and more of an ISP issue. They can't do anything about that :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• darkwyndredarkwyndre Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem. Put in a support ticket. I wonder how many days (weeks?) it will take?
    edited August 2013
    Already did post support ticket. I hope it doesn't take too long but fear this still being the weekend that it might not be looked at till Monday.
  • jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    UPDATE: Verizon FiOS in NJ, patcher just started loading again (10:40 AM EST). The actual gameclient, however,cannot seem to connect to Cryptic. At least this is progress...:rolleyes:

Still dead for me in Essex County NJ. Hopeful they fix this by tonight. Ah well, nice enough day out, maybe this is Cogent's way of saying I need to go make some Vitamin D. ;)
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • dcpuserdcpuser Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm having the same issue as well. I was on Spacedock and beamed to my ship and game lost connection to server. Tried to relogin using both normal and safe login from the character select screen and both times report server disconnection errors.
  • suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a problem in Boston that the East Coast of USA routes Verizon through. A work around is to use a VPN service.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
    edited August 2013
    The funny thing is, my XBOX line seems to be fine...*watched a movie a while back*, but not the line to STO.

Which by the way, I pinged the Test server, and it is fine, but any attempts to login, it is not.
  • zeven2004zeven2004 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, hopefully they have at least contacted Verizon about the issue, since a significant portion of their player base is impacted. This will likely escalate as more and more players in the US find that Verizon has effectively 'denied' their attempts to access the game servers.
  • xvleonbxvleonb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Count me in on this. Launcher comes up as a plain white window with "loading please wait" in it. Tried the "fixes" from the launcher bit on the top of the page, no dice.

If I bypass the launcher and open the game directly, I'm able to get in and enter my password, but time out before ever reaching my characters.
    edited August 2013
    Judging on what was able to found online, this slowdown started in June of this year. Both sides are playing the blink game, but with us in the middle. Just dandy, CBS Tv is offline from Cable.

Now we got this...both issues, is about $$$$$$$$...customers are loosing out.
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still blocked...going on day 2. Wee!
  • vorlonangelvorlonangel Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    same here. all of my characters are stuck after they warped into pelia sector at the end of the tour last night. Now i can't get any of them logged in, all 7 of them. Branflakes, I won't be playing for a week so please get this fixed. I couldn't turn in the tour mission because because of this and there is 350K EC just sitting there that I can't get to. this is very frustrating!! not just one but SEVEN, all of which were just completing the tour of the galaxy. VERY SUSPICIOUS!!!!
    edited August 2013
    Folks, it is a gateway issue between providers, not a STO server issue. There is another thread in the PC, Network Issue about it.

There is a concentrated effort by said providers of the internet to bottle tight your connection to STO game server. Until the dispute is settled, there is almost actually nothing Cryptic can do to alter this.We *those affected* are at the complete mercy of this terrrible situation and it started in June of this year, and now has balloned to this...