Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    buzzout wrote: »
    A lot of players have reached 0 tolerance for spam on zone chat and certain activities are guaranteed to draw a flag. Next time be a little smarter about it and use PM to show off a piece of equipment to somebody.

and alot of players should exploit that on you.You should be chat banned every day for a week to see how cool is to defend exploits.
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    and alot of players should exploit that on you.You should be chat banned every day for a week to see how cool is to defend exploits.

yea all it looks like to me is someone is defending a exploit, a exploit that is complete and total abuse on other players time and money, im going to be honest I have put about 80 USD into the game that's it because I figured 80 bucks for a good game Eff yea but I can say it has exploits such as the silence system , that's just sorry excuss for a silence system, like I said ABUSE by newbs they use the system to make someone elses life harder.... no sense it it anymore PWE FIX It Or get rid of it
  • Options
    crayosicomcrayosicom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this 5-people-ignore-you equals a 24 hour silence has got to stop. i've got a cadre of 5 guys that have decided they dont like me following me around unignoring-reignoring me so that i can basically never actually play this game. of course, any support questions to cryptic take a week to be answered, and then they tell me to re-validate my game files.

when this game goes under i will be jumping up and down on its' grave.
  • Options
    erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So if this ever actually got to anyone's attention, it's your word vs. the word of "5 guys". I suggest you avoid these people and move one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tr717771tr717771 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Ok this has to be the most bs I have ever seen in my whole time playing sto iv'e been playing for 3 1/2 yrs pluse beta testing and every time I talk to a friend that I haven't seen in a while we start talking about STO and the good old days and about being lifers and what not and what we lifers are going to get when the romulans go live.

2. We talking and all of a damn sudden I get a 24 hr chat ban for no reason at all and I know it wasn't my friend that did it either cause he sent me an email 5 mins after it happened and he gets a chat ban too just for talking to me about being a lifer as well and I know its these punk little kids that are free to play that are jealous of the fact that we lifers get special items that free to play don't get there is no damn reason to be jealous over something that you have no control.

3.If you want to get the stuff we have why don't you ask your mommy for the credit card and get a lifetime sub and stop being a jerk and being so jealous and grow up and play the game if you don't like the fact you can't get the stuff lifers get then quit the game and uninstall it there is no room for haters or jealous little kids or people baning people on chat just because they are proud to be lifers like me grow up.

P.S. the dev's need to make it where if someone get's ban on chat for no reason then that person should be unbanned and ban the the one's that cause the ban in the first place.
  • Options
    darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tr717771 wrote: »
    1. Ok this has to be the most bs I have ever seen in my whole time playing sto iv'e been playing for 3 1/2 yrs pluse beta testing and every time I talk to a friend that I haven't seen in a while we start talking about STO and the good old days and about being lifers and what not and what we lifers are going to get when the romulans go live.

2. We talking and all of a sudden I get a 24 hr chat ban for no reason at all and I know it wasn't my friend that did it either cause he sent me an email 5 mins after it happened and he gets a chat ban too just for talking to me about being a lifer as well and I know its these punk little kids that are free to play that are jealous of the fact that we lifers get special items that free to play don't get there is no damn reason to be jealous over something that you have no control.

There are questions that could lead to an answer about this - what chat channel were you and your friend talking in? Were you being as abrasive as your post here appears to have been?

Also, I'd consider deleting point 3 before it gets moderated for you... just as a heads-up.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you were talking on and on in open Zone chat as if it were a conversation between the two of you, I can see people taking action. Such things tend to get irritating.

If you really want to talk, either use PMs, or team up. If you can't team up, then use an empty channel of some sort.

EDIT: And yeah, might wanna remove point 3. It's uncalled for.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are questions that could lead to an answer about this - what chat channel were you and your friend talking in? Were you being as abrasive as your post here appears to have been?

Also, I'd consider deleting point 3 before it gets moderated for you... just as a heads-up.

thanks for the heads up and no we wasn't we was just talking normal and this happens all the time when i see a old buddy from sto past i never got this many chat bans never and just because i was talking about being a lifer on the zone chat to a friend cause his pm didn't work me and him get a chat ban just because we was talking about being lifers and what we might get when romulans go live its not fair or right at all we didn't say anything bad either and we get banned for that wow
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you were talking on and on in open Zone chat as if it were a conversation between the two of you, I can see people taking action. Such things tend to get irritating.

If you really want to talk, either use PMs, or team up. If you can't team up, then use an empty channel of some sort.

my friends pm don't work he sent in a ticket and still not fixed and yes it was on open chat but still it isn't right to be banned for no reason at all its over jealousy and its not right
  • Options
    edited May 2013

i edited it a little better but i'm still angry
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I edited 3 a little better but i'm still angry its not right or fair at all
  • Options
    darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my friends pm don't work he sent in a ticket and still not fixed and yes it was on open chat but still it isn't right to be banned for no reason at all its over jealousy and its not right

There are still other options for carrying on a private conversation outside of public chat channels - you can create your own private, custom channel; you can team with your friend and use the team channel; you can invite your friend to your ship's bridge or vice versa and use the bridge zone channels...

Some people could very well interpret carrying on a private conversation in a public channel as spam, and report it as such - I can't say that they'd be wrong in doing so but, having not been there, I can't say that they were right, either. Regardless, a prolonged private conversation in public chat channels carries with it intrinsic risks involving people /ignoring you, reporting spam, etc., regardless of the topic at hand. Assuming that this is about your LTS isn't necessarily helpful in finding a solution that works for you and your friend in the long term.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are still other options for carrying on a private conversation outside of public chat channels - you can create your own private, custom channel; you can team with your friend and use the team channel; you can invite your friend to your ship's bridge or vice versa and use the bridge zone channels...

Some people could very well interpret carrying on a private conversation in a public channel as spam, and report it as such - I can't say that they'd be wrong in doing so but, having not been there, I can't say that they were right, either. Regardless, a prolonged private conversation in public chat channels carries with it intrinsic risks involving people /ignoring you, reporting spam, etc., regardless of the topic at hand. Assuming that this is about your LTS isn't necessarily helpful in finding a solution that works for you and your friend in the long term.

I understand what you saying but still we wasn't talking any personal stuff but STO stuff and what not and not one bad thing was said either we kept it to a min and then we get a 24 hr chat ban just talking about being lifers is such bs and not right either we have as much right as they do to be in that zone chat
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013

2. We talking and all of a damn sudden I get a 24 hr chat ban for no reason at all and I know it wasn't my friend that did it either cause he sent me an email 5 mins after it happened and he gets a chat ban too just for talking to me about being a lifer as well and I know its these punk little kids that are free to play that are jealous of the fact that we lifers get special items that free to play don't get there is no damn reason to be jealous over something that you have no control.

3.If you want to get the stuff we have why don't you ask your mommy for the credit card and get a lifetime sub and stop being a jerk and being so jealous and grow up and play the game if you don't like the fact you can't get the stuff lifers get then quit the game and uninstall it there is no room for haters or jealous little kids or people baning people on chat just because they are proud to be lifers like me grow up.

P.S. the dev's need to make it where if someone get's ban on chat for no reason then that person should be unbanned and ban the the one's that cause the ban in the first place.

had it been me and on at the time, i would of reported it for spam because you have a private messages ability in the chat, failing that you can create your own chat channel and password protect it so only you and your friend can talk to one another. the zone chat i feel is meant for a helpful point for new players, and if it is filled with spam, even from your past, it is of no concern to anyone else and all it does is keep other peoples questions from being answered.

as for point 3. if you dont like it, next time find another way instead of venting.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Judging by your attitude here I am not surprised that you talked yourself into a chat ban...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a pretty simple reason why you got the ban:

a) You were having a conversation in a public channel. Now, this may not be so bad, but:

b) Some people won't like your chat cluttering up the channel. So, they may not report you or anything, but they click "Ignore", so that they won't have to see your chat. Now that would be fine and dandy, except

c) Multiple ignores in a certain period of time apparently cause 24-hour chat bans like this.

So there you have it. No maliciousness or unkindness meant, it's just that multiple people didn't feel like seeing your chat, and so they /ignored you, and this resulted in an automatic chat ban.

No one specifically meant to get you banned. Simple misunderstanding. No jealousy or anything involved.
  • Options
    basilisk1979basilisk1979 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @OP:
    I think everything will be absolutely fine if you just stop abusing the zone chat for your private conversation.
    Zone chat at ESD or other HUB places is already cluttered enough.
    Two dudes talking about something realy absolutely nobody cares about is just too much. Nobody cares about what lifetimers will or won't get.
    Its just that you use up already scarce space.
    So one will put both of them to ignore.
    Obviously a lot of people thought that way and you two got banned.
    Just use a private channel next time and everything will be fine.
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Regardless of the op's "attitude" its sad one can get banned from chat for just having a normal conversation. Its also a shame that a few of you feel its justified, I mean really myself and a few others don't even dare try and talk in public chat channels for fear of the auto ban system. Oh no people having conversations in an MMO, better report spam, its stupid and the people that do it are morons.

The devs need to change this to a system where when report spam is used a copy of the chat in question is sent to a GM to be reviewed and the player is only ignored from the person who sent the report til logout, like every other MMO out there today.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    Ok first of all OP I think you need to learn about punctuation, nothing fancy just full stops and sensible sentence length. This will add more credibility to point 3.

Second having a private chat in zone channel isn't a good idea, I think I understand why people did report you as spam though. They probably thought you were rubbing their noses in it. However I don't think that's reason for being banned or at least not without a request to stop using zone chat for a personal conversation.

There are far too many pansies on STO at the moment that do need to mature a bit. They need to realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say so long as they are not openly hostile or insulting towards you. If someone does have a problem with something you say then asking politely to (in this example) take the conversation to a different channel would have been the best and most mature thing to do.

I see some people are saying he disrupted zone chat. I don't know what zone chat you guys have been seeing but most of the time it's either about very warped views of the world, the 2nd world war, another war, something like bacon/cheeseburgers or something horrifically disgusting that has made me leave ESD to get away from it.

P.S. That last point is a long sentence however I have incorporated commas for you to take a breather while reading.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Private conversations do not belong in zone chat... Period.
    If it is a general conversation that allows others to join in thats fine, otherwise keep it private.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A "private" conversation in a public channel isn't private at all is it.
    Judging by your attitude here I am not surprised that you talked yourself into a chat ban...

I've known tr717771 since the first day he entered these forums,he's by far the most arrogant and childish person in game and on the forums,if he got banned he deserved it!
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    There are far too many pansies on STO at the moment that do need to mature a bit. They need to realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say so long as they are not openly hostile or insulting towards you. If someone does have a problem with something you say then asking politely to (in this example) take the conversation to a different channel would have been the best and most mature thing to do

A number of us would have just put that sort of person on our ignore list, thinking that it works like in other games, as opposed to the report spam silencing. However you have to wonder how many know this actually can also put a 24 hour silence on a player if enough people do it? I wasn't there so I didn't at the time, but in the general sense of the situation.

There in lies the problem. It could have been people just bunging them on ignore innocently without knowing about the chat ban that it can instigate.

Cryptic need to remove the chat ban from the ignore system ASAP. If I, or anyone, puts someone on ignore we do it for a personal reason that may be of no consequence to others. Therefore it should not affect the player as whole gamewise when it is done.
  • Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand what you saying but still we wasn't talking any personal stuff but STO stuff and what not and not one bad thing was said either we kept it to a min and then we get a 24 hr chat ban just talking about being lifers is such bs and not right either we have as much right as they do to be in that zone chat

People regularly get chat banned by the automatic system because they treat zone chat as their personal space. It's not, it's a shared space and you need to behave as such.

Learn your lesson and next time take it to a private channel.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    midwayacemidwayace Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is the real problem.... people want to talk that is fine. I don't want to see it in my zone chat fine. I click ignore that should ONLY affect the conversation not ban someone. We all see stupid conversations with the Gorn jokes or Bacon jokes in ESD. I say let them carry on I should be able to mute thier conversation. It is nothing personal towards them just like when a player using another language posts in zone chat. This silence ban is absolutely crazy. It needs to be repealed... too bad we the players cannot vote to rescind the order.

They will ban someone for talking but not for AFKing or Leeching...go figure.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Somehow I very much doubt he was innocently chatting with his friend over some mundane subject. But go ahead, suggest sweeping moderation changes based on one punished player's version of events. :rolleyes:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    rfzanderrfzander Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zone chat is zone chat anyone should be able to talk about almost anything they want there. If zone chat gets irritating then do what I do... TURN.... IT.... OFF. But for anyone to get a ban for using a zone chat to do just that.... CHAT is asinine.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find this whole thing funny and sad. People have conversations all the time in local and zone chat. Look at the role players on Drozana and Bajor.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    midwayace wrote: »
    here Is The Real Problem.... They Will Ban Someone For Talking But Not For Afking Or Leeching...go Figure.

Amen!!!!!!
  • Options
    methodus2063methodus2063 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know my friend and I where trying to form our fleet, and because a few of our memebers where in their beginnings of their 20hr probation, we couldn't use them, so my friend asked in chat if any one wanted to help us. He eventually got banned from chatting with out realizing what was wrong and ended up quitting thinking it was that problem, and I had to give compensation to the two guys that were kind enough to help us, despite still not forming our fleet.

The way the system works is broken to say the least.
    Imperial Secret Order. "we are the ones that maintain the balance of power in the universe. May our shadow never fall upon you."
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've "ignored" my wife 100s of times.....and it hasn't "silenced" her once.

<Just Saying>