Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pingahead wrote: »
    I've "ignored" my wife 100s of times.....and it hasn't "silenced" her once.

<Just Saying>

>______________________________>
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea i had this issue happen to me did i deserve it probably not but you know some people have different sensibilities but still the mods should not leave moderation to the players in such an easy to exploit way though they have and they are too busy working on other things to fix this
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :
    It's not easy to exploit. This feature has been a part of the game for years. While we don't know the number of people it takes to activate it, it takes more than a handful to do it.

If it were a low number of people then players would have figured out and the number would be common knowledge because players can't keep things like that a secret. :D

It's not the report spam silence that is the problem, that is standard in all the games I have played except one and that one hs players it asks and trains to moderate the game and only they can silence not the rest of the player base.

What is the problem is the silence on /ignore if enough do it in a certain length of time. Yes it is open to abuse, but it is more likely done innocently by the people not knowing it can happen. No other game I have played has and account silence attached to the ignore lists. Mainly, I think, because they know it wil be used fr personal reasons and everyones reason for using it will be different.

For example I have a zero tolerance policy for the use of the r-word for owning a player or NPC, one use and instant ignore. Others may not care so they wouldn't. However let's say a few of us have this policy and choose to ignore that person, it does not mean they should suffer an account silence that affects the rest of the game including mail and fleet chat.

Whether it is easilly abusable or not it is one syste that should not be in the game at all.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    There have been cases where a fleet or group of people have collectively used the report spam button to silence and thus grief players. This type of behavior is undeniably against several points in section 10 of the terms of service and so it tends to be kept hush until the victims speak out. Even then it's hard to find out who did it as there's no way to know who or when you have been silenced easily without being a GM. Also it's hard to prove that a group of people have deliberately done it unless they use in game chat to co-ordinate.

Even then I can't imagine a GM would look too much into a 1 or 2 time chat ban.

I do agree it should not be linked to the ignore function but then again I don't agree with the ignore button as it is. I think ignore should temporarily ignore the player for say 2 weeks with a permanent ignore if you've ignored that person 3 times in 3 months. The reason I say this is because considering this is meant to be about a utopian future the maturity in this game is pitifully low. When you ignore someone in zone chat or anything else you're usually only seeing a small snapshot of who that person is at that time. 2+ months down the line after receiving numerous complaints they may change but they still end up being ignored even if they no longer deserve it.

Some people are just horrible people and always will be but I do think players need to clean out their ignore lists from time to time.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    There have been cases where a fleet or group of people have collectively used the report spam button to silence and thus grief players. This type of behavior is undeniably against several points in section 10 of the terms of service and so it tends to be kept hush until the victims speak out. Even then it's hard to find out who did it as there's no way to know who or when you have been silenced easily without being a GM. Also it's hard to prove that a group of people have deliberately done it unless they use in game chat to co-ordinate.

Even then I can't imagine a GM would look too much into a 1 or 2 time chat ban.

Yes it can be abused, in the same way it can be abused in other games that have this particular feature. However it is standard across the board for all but one game I have played. The silence attached to ignores however is not something I have come across until I came here.

In the other games, though, if you think it is being used to grief you then reporting it to the GM/CS or what not will get it investigated and the people involved will themselves face a sanction. Which unlike the spam report silence counts to their black marks and could even get them banned if they are on their last warning. Here however it does seem lacking on the CS front.

I do agree it should not be linked to the ignore function but then again I don't agree with the ignore button as it is. I think ignore should temporarily ignore the player for say 2 weeks with a permanent ignore if you've ignored that person 3 times in 3 months. The reason I say this is because considering this is meant to be about a utopian future the maturity in this game is pitifully low. When you ignore someone in zone chat or anything else you're usually only seeing a small snapshot of who that person is at that time. 2+ months down the line after receiving numerous complaints they may change but they still end up being ignored even if they no longer deserve it.

Some people are just horrible people and always will be but I do think players need to clean out their ignore lists from time to time.

Barring my zero tolerance policy I tend to try an avoid using ignore because of the silence that can be instigated if enough do it in a certain time period. Anyone there because of this personal policy will never be removed from it, hence why it is called zero tolerance.

There are only four things that will get someone permanently ignored by me. Other than that I am a lot more tolerant than you would think.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    :

For example I have a zero tolerance policy for the use of the r-word for owning a player or NPC, one use and instant ignore.

Like I said I don't think the ignore button should ban someone. While you claim to be tolerant you explicitly state that one use as above will earn a permanent ignore forever. You're not even entertaining the idea that someone could change and may not use that kind of language when they mature a bit. This is the point I was trying to make. Too many people hit ignore for things and don't clear out their ignore lists after a while. They don't even entertain the idea that this is not all there is to the person.

While I don't like the use of said R-word, it is censored by the profanity filter so will not show up if engaged. There are also things, certainly in recent news, that may be discussed from time to time which will require the use of that word. You could use the words s*****l assault (asterisked so I don't get banned) but that covers a lot of areas where as the R word is very precise in it's use and meaning in the context provided. It is also a topical discussion point and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

However like most English words it also has more than one meaning, one of which is not a disgusting and repulsive act (well relatively speaking). Ignoring someone arbitrarily for using certain words is not a good idea as you could be seeing it completely out of context, not always but sometimes.

And yes I do clear out my ignore list just as I close zone chat or leave the area if it's getting very disturbing. Sometimes I even ask that they tone it down a bit, though I have a feeling those people immediately hit ignore on me lol.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    :

It's not the report spam silence that is the problem, that is standard in all the games I have played except one...

Whoa wait hold up. What other games have this silence feature in them? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Cryptic games are literally the first games I've ever seen this feature in and I've been playing MMOs for a long, long time now. I'd be interested to know who else uses this system.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Like I said I don't think the ignore button should ban someone. While you claim to be tolerant you explicitly state that one use as above will earn a permanent ignore forever. You're not even entertaining the idea that someone could change and may not use that kind of language when they mature a bit. This is the point I was trying to make. Too many people hit ignore for things and don't clear out their ignore lists after a while. They don't even entertain the idea that this is not all there is to the person.

Context, I said I am more tolerant than you would think after you read I have a zero tolerance policy where four things are concerned. Those things are personal to me and are not up to be changed.
    While I don't like the use of said R-word, it is censored by the profanity filter so will not show up if engaged. There are also things, certainly in recent news, that may be discussed from time to time which will require the use of that word. You could use the words s*****l assault (asterisked so I don't get banned) but that covers a lot of areas where as the R word is very precise in it's use and meaning in the context provided. It is also a topical discussion point and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

Again context. The use I used as an example is to me intolerable and so will earn an instant ignore. The use of it in a discussion of something in the news uses it in it's corect context where a certain type of assault is concerned.
    However like most English words it also has more than one meaning, one of which is not a disgusting and repulsive act (well relatively speaking). Ignoring someone arbitrarily for using certain words is not a good idea as you could be seeing it completely out of context, not always but sometimes.

Context noticing a theme here. The term that has nothing to do with the crime, however alludes to the crime in the horror of the act, ie "r-wording the countryside for monetary gain". There are basically two defanitons of the word, slang does not count to me.

Using it to mean taking down someone or an NPC, generally with a few other words basically is a no-no to me.

I would link the OED defanitions, however like you I wish to avoid getting into trouble.

Again I did say that ignore is a personal thing that others may not be bothered about this is why I have said repeatedly that the account silence part of it needs to be removed. Just because I, and maybe others, would do this does not mean that persons account should be silenced so that it affects them in game in the way it does, even mail and fleet.

If I was that intolerant I would want them banned or atleast the system kept as it is as a way to punish them, yet I am wanting it removed from the ignore system.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess the OP shouldn't have been a jerk on Zone chat.
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Depends. If used in it's original definition of something having been slowed down then it is not offensive or negative. The problem is it has been used out of context in slang to the point where that is it's more common use.

As for above, I plunder/pilage Donatra on a regular basis. I destroy her ship and take the rewards often. I would also earn an invite to the perminant ignore party depending on how I choose to phrase that. The point I was trying to make is that you will add someone for what you subjectively percieve as a big no no but will not entertain the idea that you may be required to communicate with said person later. This is not possible if you leave them on ignore and the game has a habit of teaming you with people on your ignore list and vice versa.

• Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    a mentally hanicapped person wouldnt be so daft as to draw attention him or herself, besides thats a sterotype that would likely get you put on an ignore list anyway, perhaps even a chat ban.

not sure why typical people think its appropriate to criticize someone over the use of a word that doesnt apply to them, a nice fail in logic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cougarman1968cougarman1968 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i agree this has happened to me 2 times now they seriously need to fix it ,if someone don't wanna hear ya then hit ignore and done but that's such bs to chat ban by idiots that go he he he I got him chat banned for nothing .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Whoa wait hold up. What other games have this silence feature in them? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Cryptic games are literally the first games I've ever seen this feature in and I've been playing MMOs for a long, long time now. I'd be interested to know who else uses this system.

So now that all the arguing over words is finished, anyone out there have an answer for my previous question featured above? I'd still like to know what other games out there use this player run silencing feature.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    So now that all the arguing over words is finished, anyone out there have an answer for my previous question featured above? I'd still like to know what other games out there use this player run silencing feature.

Sorry missed your original.

The biggest game out there. WoW for one has this sytem in place. However there is no one who has figured out exactly how many are needed to trigger it. Also when instigated the person who has been silenced has their account reviewed pretty quickly to see if the silence is deserved or not. If it is it is left to run it's course, if it is not it is removed.

You can report people you think are organising enough people to grief silence people. This is investigated and the people themselves are punished. If they are on their last warning this means a full account ban, as breaking even a minor rule on final warning is at the risk of such a ban.

This is only from what was said in the newbie channel but Eve apparently has it. As the newbie channel gets a lot of ISK spammers because it is open to trials, it may have just been said to encourage people to report.

LotRO, again only applies to report spam. Though that may have changed since I played it when it was a subscription game. Again I can only go by what is said as I have never been the victim of it, just like here I can only go by what is said.
    The point I was trying to make is that you will add someone for what you subjectively percieve as a big no no but will not entertain the idea that you may be required to communicate with said person later. This is not possible if you leave them on ignore and the game has a habit of teaming you with people on your ignore list and vice versa.

I understand your point, however it is my choice to do this like it is your choice not to. My point was that the ignore is a personal matter and should not instigate an account silence no matter how many people do it. Which is what this thread is about, the validity or otherwise of an ignore system where the game doesn't even use it for queues is a whole different topic.

Edit: For some reason the system filters the third word in that games title so using the accronym instead.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    After getting some mail from egpal I can now see why the system is the way it is. Unlike other game I have played the report spam and ignore list seem to be on the same system.

When reporting spam the @handle gets added to your ignore list. For the change to happen and remove the silence from the silencing system it looks like they may need to build a new system. If that will happen I do not know but it may be time to take a look at it.
  • Options
    ruttager1ruttager1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?

this happened to me at drozona a ufp (somthin) fleet was doing this as entertainment, had to run major event thru ts and have my employees talk for me lol, it was weak. i avoid rp'rs, trollers, large groups of the same fleet in drozona station now. /who in chat will show you if large groups of peeps are in one area, change instance to avoid em. (id perfer the excessive power without checks n balances fixed tho)
  • Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its 5 in 5 seconds. once per 24 hours per account.
    its rampant. its deplorable. live by the sword die by the sword.

dare you. you wont speak for a month.

Edit: and your little dog too. all your dogs. cats even.
    your friends mothers cousins sons fleetmates too.

knock it off.
  • Options
    oricolawleoricolawle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to see some official clarification on this. I was silenced - yet again - for writing in zone chat. None of my writing could be conceivably seen as "spam" unless you consider all zone chat conversations to be spam, in which case you might as well turn it off.

This makes managing a fleet rather difficult. I'd like to see some resolution to this problem.
    Main character: Lesasea@oricolawle

Leader of Quantum Mechanics

Member of DPS-30000
  • Options
    kalregarkalregar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Someone abused the "Report Spam" feature to trick the game into placing a 24 hour mute on my account. Now, I'm not going to flip my sh*t about such a trivial thing, but I do want to report the malcontent and the all of the support pages are returning "not redirecting properly" errors for me (I checked my end for faults and found none).

Would anyone kindly point me to a GM/dev/whoever I should talk to about this? I'm not sure who to ask.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and ppl talk about a vote to kick getting abused.........

but you will have to make a GM ticket in game and wait about 3 or more hours for one to remove it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    and ppl talk about a vote to kick getting abused.........
    You're not even the slightest bit suspicious that the OP deserved it?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been Report-Spammed before and requested help from a GM. They don't help. Whether you're guilty or not, you're going to have to suck this one up.
  • Options
    avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is an age old issue with no resolution in site. Typically this happens to people who have the "audacity" to attempt recruiting for their fleet in local, but it can happen to anyone who speaks in a zone. Just takes enough people to hit report spam. They should probably take that option away and just leave the ignore player option.
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kalregar wrote: »
    Someone abused the "Report Spam" feature to trick the game into placing a 24 hour mute on my account. Now, I'm not going to flip my sh*t about such a trivial thing, but I do want to report the malcontent and the all of the support pages are returning "not redirecting properly" errors for me (I checked my end for faults and found none).

Would anyone kindly point me to a GM/dev/whoever I should talk to about this? I'm not sure who to ask.

With the redirect issue you'll need to email support. Hope you have better luck actually getting them to understand your issue Branflakes has posted info here : http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267893 .

That said, you're not likely to get a response from Support back before the chat ban wears off on its own. And as for getting them to actually fix your account settings so it can login to the support website, I only hope other people have better luck than I did.
  • Options
    brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been Report-Spammed before and requested help from a GM. They don't help. Whether you're guilty or not, you're going to have to suck this one up.

Because there are fleets who exist to abuse this feature. Hey this guy was in an STF he said Hi. Mute him. This guy ruined my pvp match by saying, stop spamming, mute him.

Its abused constantly.

And honestly, don't even bother to contact GMs about it. It will take them 2 weeks to respond, and they will respond with like "We can not unmute you ur mute will end in 24 hours"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're not even the slightest bit suspicious that the OP deserved it?

nope because I had it dun to me for sending out my fleet add one time then some one want to call it spam then I tell them what spam is and well I had to get in touch with a GM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.