test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kalregar wrote: »
    Someone abused the "Report Spam" feature to trick the game into placing a 24 hour mute on my account. Now, I'm not going to flip my sh*t about such a trivial thing, but I do want to report the malcontent and the all of the support pages are returning "not redirecting properly" errors for me (I checked my end for faults and found none).

Would anyone kindly point me to a GM/dev/whoever I should talk to about this? I'm not sure who to ask.

Good luck with that. I have been getting that error for over a year now. I have been in touch with support via support@perfectworld.com and they slightly acknowledged the issue, but it is low priority and I have been told there will be nothing done for it as it is not their server. I found that odd, considering it is specifically my account being effected and not my ISP. I get the redirect error regardless of where I am at geographically, what ISP I am on, etc. The moment I sign in and access support, they slap me away.
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well since this thread is just going to die, I no longer feel guilty about namedropping.

Player @whosnotokin (he was on his fed tactical captain, "Archer") is the one who I believe perpetrated the abuse of report spam.

It occurred in Starfleet Academy a couple hours ago. I had been talking in zone about the fact that Matter-Antimatter doffs have been jacked up in price in response to the introduction of warp cores, and he proceeded to regale us all with an 2nd-grade lesson in economics at absolutely nobody's request, at which point I told him to shut up. He said and I quote, "you win be a muted idiot go cry to someone who cares", and the next thing I know, I was silenced. It seemed to occur rather quickly; I'm not sure if he asked a bunch of friends or if he had multiple clients open which he himself used.

Take care to avoid him in-game so he doesn't do the same to you.

I was there for the beginning of that conversation. If you are bantering in the major hubs you always run the risk of being chat-banned. You may have already had a number of people report and his comment may have spurred on others to report you.

You accusation has no proof, only circumstance and now empty handily besmirch him on the forums.
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    funny had mine took off with in 3 hours lucky me :D

That's a shame. The GMs robbed Star Trek Online of 21 hours of peace.
  • whosnotokinwhosnotokin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, for starters you wanted it to be a bannable offence for over charging on the exchange. So naturally after you told me to shut up. I decided that you were just another idiot troll. I apologize if i hurt your delicate feelings when i hit report instead of ignore. However, if my click got you banned then you must have annoyed alot of people lately. For future reference, NOBODY cares if you think stuff is overpriced, we payed attention to the market, we posted stuff to make a profit. Banning us for doing such things would be stupid.

Archer
  • kalregarkalregar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, for starters you wanted it to be a bannable offence for over charging on the exchange. So naturally after you told me to shut up. I decided that you were just another idiot troll. I apologize if i hurt your delicate feelings when i hit report instead of ignore. However, if my click got you banned then you must have annoyed alot of people lately. For future reference, NOBODY cares if you think stuff is overpriced, we payed attention to the market, we posted stuff to make a profit. Banning us for doing such things would be stupid.

Archer
    Thank you for the confession. Y'all needed proof? :D

Nah, you didn't hurt my feelings. I just wanted to knock you off your high horse. You're not a moderator or a GM, you don't get to decide who should be muted, and I intend to see to it that you never get the chance again. And don't try to play it off like you only put one click against me; you said "be a muted idiot" like you knew it was going to happen. How could you have known unless you somehow ensured that it would happen?
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting. Don't forget that in an argument in zone chat there are always people willing to "report for spam" once somebody gets on their nerves, regardless of who started the argument or who is "in the right." The way I see it, yes it is annoying that the doff prices skyrocketed, and yes I know people who jack up doff and other item prices through speculation. On the other hand, unless the other guy--someone I know, incidentally--was being condescending there's no reason to tell him to shut up. I wasn't there--who knows, he might have even been one of the speculators, or he might just have been trying to explain the situation. Regardless...no, I don't think the chat ban was fair, but just be careful in the future not to give the many trolls floating around an excuse to target you. STO is less nasty than many other corners of the Internet but it is still an MMO and there are some people out there with an underdeveloped sense of honor, no matter what faction they play. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's a shame. The GMs robbed Star Trek Online of 21 hours of peace.

awww you still mad bro ?:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited May 2013

Nah, you didn't hurt my feelings. I just wanted to knock you off your high horse. You're not a moderator or a GM, you don't get to decide who should be muted, and I intend to see to it that you never get the chance again. And don't try to play it off like you only put one click against me; you said "be a muted idiot" like you knew it was going to happen. How could you have known unless you somehow ensured that it would happen?

now even I want to mute you and I don't even know that guy, if I were a civil judge I would have to side with him as I can easily see a dozen players out of the hundreds on SFA setting you to ignore.

from his perspective you were muted just from his single action, he hasn't said anything that directly indicates he abused the system, you are reading too much into his words.

However you are willingly, knowingly and opening breaking the rules with the name-shaming.

I don't know if that guy is guilty or not, but it doesn't really matter. Its an imperfect system and it can't be made perfect. Most talkative players get a chat ban at some point, live with it and move on. Don't try to create a feud with an internet stranger.
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You just invalidated yourself.

What he admitted to was using the "Report Spam" feature for its intended purpose; to alert the system to bothersome players. Personally, I would have done the same thing he did - and apparently more than a fair share of people agreed, since it does not take only one person to report you before you're silenced for 24 hours.

When you hit "Report Spam", you HOPE the person is muted for 24 hours, since that's how Report Spam works. Him getting off a witty remark at you before you faded into obscurity was just his way of releasing the tension.

The next 16 hours should be nice and you-free.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The OP really isn't making himself look good here, is he? His argument about the Exchange is... well, not at all grounded in reality.

Still, though, the Report Spam button ought to be reserved for exactly what it says - spam. We water it down when we use it for other things, even other really annoying, wrongheaded things.
  • kalregarkalregar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bootyboots wrote: »
    now even I want to mute you and I don't even know that guy, if I were a civil judge I would have to side with him as I can easily see a dozen players out of the hundreds on SFA setting you to ignore.

from his perspective you were muted just from his single action, he hasn't said anything that directly indicates he abused the system, you are reading too much into his words.

However you are willingly, knowingly and opening breaking the rules with the name-shaming.

I don't know if that guy is guilty or not, but it doesn't really matter. Its an imperfect system and it can't be made perfect. Most talkative players get a chat ban at some point, live with it and move on. Don't try to create a feud with an internet stranger.
    Typical. Only the conformists and c*cksuckers get to have their say about anything, and everybody else is expected to keep their silence rather than risk upsetting the oh-so-delicate feng shui of a particular map instance. :rolleyes:

You think it was only coincidence that he said "be a muted idiot" and then suddenly I get muted? You have a motive and you have a confession right here on the forum. Even if it was only one click from him instead of ten, I wasn't spamming at all, regardless of whether you would personally prefer that I be forcibly censored just for having an opinion. "Ignore" is there for a reason. So I told a guy to shut up; so what? If you've never told anyone in your entire life to shut up, then may you be the first one to cast a stone.

I'm not mad, though. I just want to make sure this power-trippy little pr*ck doesn't get to push anyone else around. Maybe I won't succeed, especially since the few of you who deigned to pay attention seem to be in his court against all reason, but I tried.

I'm not a bad person here; all I did was share an opinion publicly. I don't deserve to be muted for 24 hours for that. Nor do I normally come into forums and namedrop people just to be an TRIBBLE; I didn't even give his name initially, I was going to PM a GM. I only dropped his name after people told me I had basically no hope of any reasonable authoritative response, in the hopes of protecting others from what I thought to be an abusive troll.

If that makes me a bad person, then I seriously question where the priorities of a fair few of you really lie.

And on that note, I am done, and I don't intend to reply any further.
  • kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Typical whining fool.

Once they realize that they've lost, they storm out of the thread with a huff.
    edited May 2013
    ^

Be wary about looking to the Internet for sympathy. We can't really tell for sure who, if anyone, is really "guilty"; but, since you--the OP--are the only one of the two parties actually "present," expect a lot of folks to come down hard on you.

People in general are jerks. Even the Bible says so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    nadiezja wrote: »
    The OP really isn't making himself look good here, is he? His argument about the Exchange is... well, not at all grounded in reality.

Still, though, the Report Spam button ought to be reserved for exactly what it says - spam. We water it down when we use it for other things, even other really annoying, wrongheaded things.

Agreed on the "Report Spam" option. "Ignore Player" is more appropriate for muting folks one finds disagreeable, unless perhaps someone is really dragging out an argument in zone chat to the point of becoming a spammer. Of course for every person who tries to use these tools appropriately, there's at least one more and probably many who will do the exact opposite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed on the "Report Spam" option. "Ignore Player" is more appropriate for muting folks one finds disagreeable, unless perhaps someone is really dragging out an argument in zone chat to the point of becoming a spammer. Of course for every person who tries to use these tools appropriately, there's at least one more and probably many who will do the exact opposite.

if a group of players is deliberately trying to get someone muted and they did nothing wrong, you get an abuse of the system that is easily taken advantage of like the ignore feature. people dont know how to talk to each other so they think the ignore feature will solve all their problems. no it doesnt.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2013
    ^

Be wary about looking to the Internet for sympathy. We can't really tell for sure who, if anyone, is really "guilty"; but, since you--the OP--are the only one of the two parties actually "present," expect a lot of folks to come down hard on you.

People in general are jerks. Even the Bible says so.

The other party is present; OP name-shamed him and he showed up in the thread to defend himself, their interaction in this thread is why I came down moderately hard on OP
    edited May 2013
    bootyboots wrote: »
    The other party is present; OP name-shamed him and he showed up in the thread to defend himself, their interaction in this thread is why I came down moderately hard on OP

Ah, I understand. I just realized that this thread had grown a LOT larger than I had realized. :eek:

P.S. - ah, it got merged with a much older thread. I should have known...blargh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, okay.... I said one sentence in chat, and was immediately flagged as spammer, with a 24 hour "ban" from chat.

This seems quite unfair, and I actually think it's a bug.

I already sent a ticket about it, but I'm also reporting it here, because it seems wrong...

:confused:
  • blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Check my signature.

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, okay.... I said one sentence in chat, and was immediately flagged as spammer, with a 24 hour "ban" from chat.

This seems quite unfair, and I actually think it's a bug.

I already sent a ticket about it, but I'm also reporting it here, because it seems wrong...

:confused:

Yep, this is the latest 'working as intended' insanity that has been implemented by Cryptic.

But please do not be disheartened, your ban will help us rid the servers of gold spammers (because its not like they will ever figure out a way around this, no sir!)
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, but I did no such thing.... I just replied to someone in chat, which had nothing to do with selling gold or anything like that...
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, but I did no such thing.... I just replied to someone in chat, which had nothing to do with selling gold or anything like that...

That doesnt matter, even if you say certain words in a totally unrelated conversation you get banned.

His sig tells the story

"moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll just quote myself from the last thread:

kain9prime wrote: »
    Prepare to have your thread merged with the "I've been Silenced" mega-thread.

You cannot get unsilenced until the time is up.
    You cannot have your opinion taken into consideration.
    You cannot have retribution for the unjust actions of jerks in Zone chat.
    Do not pass go
    Do not collect $200
    Proceed on your way to thread oblivion.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I doubt you will get a response from old Cryptic, they really don't care about support that much.

My advise to you is to not ever use zone chat, and make a custom channel for you and your friends etc.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited May 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    My advise to you is to not ever use zone chat, and make a custom channel for you and your friends etc.

Yep, I used to be terrified of zone chat because of the random silences (which stop you even talking to fleet mates or PM's) but now you can be actually kicked out of the game for absurd reasons.
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Yep, I used to be terrified of zone chat because of the random silences (which stop you even talking to fleet mates or PM's) but now you can be actually kicked out of the game for absurd reasons.

This is troubling....
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »

your advice is useless .Theres a way/chat command to silence people using their handles .They dont even need to be in the same zone.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dunno what you said so I cannot tell if you pissed people off by simply ansvering with a stupid foolish comment or did you got griefed by "report spam" feature, im sure you didn't say anything about selling gold, you just failed by yourself (justice well deserved) or yep... too bad. nothing you can do.

dunno if you know or not but if approx 5 people report you from spam, you get autosilenced, if you talk about gold, you get warned, and second will get you perma banned.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In Cryptic's chat channels, if you accumulate a certain number of spam reports or Ignores, you're automatically silenced in Chat for 24 hours. It's fully automated, with no human intervention whatsoever. It's become a point of pride in CO - Caliga gets chat-banned about once a week or so, because apparently some folks can't handle that every time he logs in, he announces his presence by shouting, "CALIGAAAAAA!!!" He only does it the once each time, but...

(I'm kind of disappointed - I use Chat, I even discuss topics like politics and the fact that Wolverine sucks, but I still haven't been chat-banned.)

It's infamous enough that my highest-level character there, Happifun Security System X-4, has adopted as his Nemesis a crazed robot named Autochatban.

So yeah, "working as intended".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Someone said something, so I replied with: I doubt that tbh...

If that's a bannable offense, this world has become very weird indeed...