What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    FIRST OFF I WONT LOSE THE CAPS BECAUSE I AM MAD! AND CAPS IS A WAY TO SHOW YOU ARE MAD ON THE INTERWEBS! ( jk )

Second it was from ZONE CHAT. I should not have to type extra commands to make sure the message goes to the right chat, that is just plain stupid. The game should work like any other MMO, if Cryptic dont want the money i spend, thats fine i am sure Zenimax, or The makers of Guild Wars 2, or some other MMO would probably appreciate my money more.

This is the most stupid thing i have seen in any MMO, and cryptic really needs to fix it or address it. it is obviously a way for griefers to grief. How many people are just sitting around waiting to exploit this, Do you know how FRUSTRATING it is dealing with such a stupid rule?

Yah sure i have been silenced for telling someone their fleet sucks, or that they do.... those are fine reasons and i can live with that.

Not linking an item in zone chat on accident twice.

And then someone offers some lame advice like make sure you type /fleet.

This shouldn't be MY problem, Cryptic should FIX these problems, it isnt that hard.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tamujiin wrote: »
    FIRST OFF I WONT LOSE THE CAPS BECAUSE I AM MAD! AND CAPS IS A WAY TO SHOW YOU ARE MAD ON THE INTERWEBS! ( jk )

Second it was from ZONE CHAT. I should not have to type extra commands to make sure the message goes to the right chat, that is just plain stupid. The game should work like any other MMO, if Cryptic dont want the money i spend, thats fine i am sure Zenimax, or The makers of Guild Wars 2, or some other MMO would probably appreciate my money more.

This is the most stupid thing i have seen in any MMO, and cryptic really needs to fix it or address it. it is obviously a way for griefers to grief. How many people are just sitting around waiting to exploit this, Do you know how FRUSTRATING it is dealing with such a stupid rule?

Yah sure i have been silenced for telling someone their fleet sucks, or that they do.... those are fine reasons and i can live with that.

This shouldn't be MY problem, Cryptic should FIX these problems, it isnt that hard.

If you've been silenced a "thousand" times (hyperbole, I'm sure) then Occam's razor suggests you are doing something wrong. The system was designed to prevent gold sellers from running amok and in that respect they've done their job.

If you don't like our advice, then don't do it. But if you continue to get silenced ad infinitum then no one is going to feel sorry for you. STO is free-to-play so you can always come back later should you decide to go play those other games.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you've been silenced a "thousand" of times (hyperbole, I'm sure) then Occam's razor suggests you are doing something wrong.

So people are now in game as moderators ?
    If you don't like our advice, then don't do it. But if you continue to get silenced ad infinitum then no one is going to feel sorry for you. STO is free-to-play so you can always come back later should you decide to go play those other games.

So if people roleplay God and ban other people no one will feel sorry?Can you speak for yourself?
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

The original idea was to silence gold spammer. This is what it is for. Now, we are talking about 10 players? (I think it was 10 I don't know the exact number but I read other thread it was 10) report you, then you are silence.

One solution (Cryptic side): the silence system should only silence Zone, local and non-friend tells. This should be easy to implement (I assume it is easy)

The other solution (user side) setup an chat channel with fleet, team, tells but not local and zone. I have done this and only pop into zone if I'm looking for something. That way I don't accidentally link or say something to get me silence. This is the solution many poster offer to the current system. It is not pretty, but it is working until Cryptic decides to change their side.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The GM's used to listen to the one silence wrongfully. I presume they check the status of your ban and did their research. Now they have just become either ignorant, complacent, lazy or they just don't care about their customers except for their money.

Either which way you put it they are not going to help you anymore which is very sad and very poor customer service.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    So people are now in game as moderators ?

So if people roleplay God and ban other people no one will feel sorry?Can you speak for yourself?

Not sure how you misinterpreted what I said, but yes the silencing system is a form of moderation -- if a certain number of people put someone on ignore within a certain time window, that person is temporarily suspended (silenced) for 24 hours from talking in chat or by mail. As for my response, the poster had said he been silenced for the thousandth time -- ask yourself what's more likely, a vast conspiracy of people silencing him day after day, or rather he's doing something that is frowned upon over and over and still hasn't gotten the idea. As I said before, the simplest possibility is the latter.

It's hardly God roleplay since it's a temporary measure and no single person is silencing anyone else -- it requires a certain number of people. The poster made it clear he was saying offensive things ('hey, <fill in fleet name> sucks!' or that the person just sucks in general) and that's why he had gotten silenced in the past. He gave no indication he was going to stop doing that. As such, I don't think anyone is going to really miss that kind of behavior -- but if you do, you are more than welcome to speak up. I hope that doesn't leave any confusion this time.
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As for my response, the poster had said he been silenced for the thousandth time -- ask yourself what's more likely, a vast conspiracy of people silencing him day after day, or rather he's doing something that is frowned upon over and over and still hasn't gotten the idea. As I said before, the simplest possibility is the latter.

Is not like there are troll fleets who do that for fun or that thing can and is an exploit.

Hope you know that things happen everywhere for no reason both in game and in real life.
    It's hardly God roleplay since it's a temporary measure and no single person is silencing anyone else -- it requires a certain number of people. The poster made it clear he was saying offensive things ('hey, <fill in fleet name> sucks!' or that the person just sucks in general) and that's why he had gotten silenced in the past. He gave no indication he was going to stop doing that. As such, I don't think anyone is going to really miss that kind of behavior -- but if you do, you are more than welcome to speak up. I hope that doesn't leave any confusion this time.

So in a MMO (multiplayer with multi humans) is hard to get a team to spam chat bans?
    What has his opinion to do with the ability to chat in fleet chat or PM or Mail?Its like only 12 year olds play this game.
    Do you know that theres a chat command that allows you and your friends ban anyone even if that person is offline ,you only need their handle?Do you know that if something can be exploited it WILL be exploited because thats how humans work.

I already said that I dont blame those who exploit this...its their way of getting fun from game ,but I blame Cryptic for allowing exploits that ban people .I am against all types of bans...check eve online ,people seem happy with no bans policy.Btw I dont have any person on my ignore list simply because I know the s*** system can lead to bans.I am a player not a judge to decide what is spam and who deserves a chat ban.

blznfun wrote: »
    The GM's used to listen to the one silence wrongfully. I presume they check the status of your ban and did their research. Now they have just become either ignorant, complacent, lazy or they just don't care about their customers except for their money.

Either which way you put it they are not going to help you anymore which is very sad and very poor customer service.

lol Ive seen people who were banned for a hour because they were making gorn jokes....so seriously ,they need to send those GM (aka Gorn Managers) to a vacation to relax
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Obviously you cannot understand a few things here, person who seems to back this idiotic form of "moderation".

I linked an item in ZONE chat TWICE and have been silenced for it for like the 10th time, quit reading to much into what someone says, you are just wasting digi space.

If ME linking an item twice is frowned upon, the other 27,000 people doing it AT The SAME time and not getting silenced is bull.

I see you are trying to explain this, form of moderation. I think it is dumb. and by a few other postsers here, they think it is dumb as well. if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along. It is an assinine system they have in place. They need to get rid of it, plain and simple.

Have i been silenced for other things? Yes i have been. have i learned my lesson not to do it? Of course.

This system is plain stupid. I have played many other MMO's, that didnt have such a frustrating system in place.

Crytpic should be smart and do away with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Obviously you cannot understand a few things here, person who seems to back this idiotic form of "moderation".

I linked an item in ZONE chat TWICE and have been silenced for it for like the 10th time, quit reading to much into what someone says, you are just wasting digi space.

If ME linking an item twice is frowned upon, the other 27,000 people doing it AT The SAME time and not getting silenced is bull.

I see you are trying to explain this, form of moderation. I think it is dumb. and by a few other postsers here, they think it is dumb as well. if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along. It is an assinine system they have in place. They need to get rid of it, plain and simple.

Have i been silenced for other things? Yes i have been. have i learned my lesson not to do it? Of course.

This system is plain stupid. I have played many other MMO's, that didnt have such a frustrating system in place.

Crytpic should be smart and do away with it.

Cryptic should make changes -- I think a ton of people have said as much in this thread, including myself (most notably: make it so you can still mail, PM, and talk to friends and fleet).

Keep in mind that when you're silenced it's because a certain number of people put you on ignore within a time window -- you may have done some things earlier that got you a number of ignores, and the time you double linked an item in zone chat was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Ten times is a very large amount. I've actually never personally heard of anyone being silenced more than 3 times ever. As you pointed out, people link items all the time in zone chat -- either they're all getting silenced as well or they're not getting a sufficient number of people to ignore them to get them silenced.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice: "if this gets under your skin people complaining about it, maybe you shouldnt respond, and move along."
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    blznfun wrote: »

Are you mentioning STO GMs or from some other game?

April 2010, 2 mons after launch, cruising in Sirius headed down to K7, said hello to someone in Zone in passing, next thing I know, ZAP - you've been silenced for 24 hrs. Submitted a ticket with chat logs as reference. Didn't hear a peep out of any GM's. Automated reply to the ticket 3 days later - "your issue has been resolved". Lesson learned, don't chat in Zone. :(
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thirdly: while GMs can theoretically do something about it, the silence lasts 24 hours and it seems that it is almost always over before they can do an investigation on it.

Actually...

I e-mailed a GM once when I got silenced. I was basically told, "Because we're nice, we'll turn off the chat ban early. But we'll do this ONCE. And NEVER again."

It's a load of crock, that's what it is.

Remember: Working as designed.

And Neverwinter is launching with this system at the end of the month.
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    Do you know that theres a chat command that allows you and your friends ban anyone even if that person is offline ,you only need their handle?Do you know that if something can be exploited it WILL be exploited because thats how humans work.

Quoted for truth. You don't even have to be logged in in order to be chat banned. That's how poorly this entire system works.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I get first place again in CE.. not sure why but I was excited, so i typed in group chat "I got first, yay" and then posted the items i had.. which were a console and shield, and then soon after as someone asked me a quesstion.. Ive been silenced... Really.

24hrs of silence, because I said I came in first in CE.. wow... this system of muting people needs to be looked at desperatly.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Member, Banned Users Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    askray wrote: »
    This would be a clear form of harassment and said users involved would ultimately be in serious trouble. Just fair warning. ;)

Then perhaps something should be done about the people that ARE abusing it, hmmm?

Years now, people have been asking Cryptic to rework it so it can't be abused over in Champions Online....but no. Standard response is "working as intended."

Now it seems those same abusers are spreading the wealth to the other current release of Cryptic's. Can't wait to see how long it takes until Neverwinter has more than one person silenced.

Oh, that's RIGHT!! Neverwinter, in its beta testing stage has ALREADY HAD ONE PERSON COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SILENCED.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Oh, that's RIGHT!! Neverwinter, in its beta testing stage has ALREADY HAD ONE PERSON COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SILENCED.

Frankly I'm glad people are starting to make a fuss over in NW about it.

Maybe (yeah right) then people will realize how stupid this whole thing is and get Cryptic to change/remove it.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know how good this will do but it seems that Cryptic has taken a "we do not care" response when dealing with problems that crop up in the game. What do I mean?

Well, I was recently involved in a serious discussion in Zone Chat when one player shouted out "everyone, let's report this player 3 times and get them banned from the chat". While another player chimed in, "don't do that", I then sent something in to customer service and, as usual, their response was "post about it in the forums".

Pardon me? Post about it in the forums? Are you serious? Has anyone seen someone from Cryptic ever deal with these problems posted in here?

Cryptic has allowed this abuse to happen for far too long and rather than have the GM's do their job and actually deal with this problem, they've allowed the players to effectively get someone banned from chat just because they don't like what someone has posted in chat.

I imagine I'll get all kinds of hateful comments about this but why is Cryptic allowing the players to ban other players? Why aren't the GM's doing their job? Why has customer service taken an "I don't care about your problems" approach and actually fix the game the improve it.

Does anyone else think this is wrong? No wonder STO has been suffering because they don't deal with the legit concerns that are festering in this game like a bad rash.

Cryptic, PLEASE!!! Remove this feature from the game because this has resulted in groups of players just wandering through chat looking for someone to kick out of the zone chat feature.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I also support change on this as the system also hit me a few days ago, where during a CE event I, and first off didnt use caps or seem "crazy/wild" in anyway shape or form, but just posted a simple "Yay I got first place" then posted the items that I received to show others whats able to be gotten when you get 1st, and to my astonish after that I was muted from chat for 24hrs. And this is muted from any sort of communication whats so ever.

You cant allow the playerbase to determine someones... fait if you will in game when it effects them on a scale of 24hrs. I also want to add that Im also a fleet leader and having the ability removed from me to chat hits hard, not that my position in a fleet is any different then someone not in a fleet.

I understand there are people out there that spam, or post continous "item links" in zone chat or what have you and that should be delt with accordingly.. but again allowing people to determine punishment of someones chat abilities is wrong because there will always people who abuse the system.

On both sides its a hard call to enforce policy in a game, and not allowing people to interupt others, but the system in game needs to be relooked and fixed. Just my 0.02$
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Two-part troll? How clever.
    kemcha wrote: »
    Cryptic, PLEASE!!! Remove this feature from the game because this has resulted in groups of players just wandering through chat looking for someone to kick out of the zone chat feature.
    I've never seen this behavior.
    but just posted a simple "Yay I got first place" then posted the items that I received to show others whats able to be gotten when you get 1st, and to my astonish after that I was muted from chat for 24hrs.
    Would better documentation help? I've never heard of this feature, but I now see why those ESD political trolls even bother to respond when you call them out in whispers.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You must be new to MMO gaming if that astonishes you.

Well more to being astonished in this game, yes other games of course. The community in this game and out of game seems to be very mature for the most part... but there is always those few occasions where you find yourself being shocked.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The problem is that someone actually admitted in Zone Chat on ESD that players are actually targeting other players and deliberately setting out to ban other players from the chat.

I'd actually love to know who, at Cryptic, thought it was a bright idea to allow players the ability to ban other players. I've actually sent several reports to Cryptic that this was being abused and all I get is the standard "look at our terms of use agreements". Then, Cryptic directing me to discuss it on the forums was an official "we don't care about the problems with the game".

The whole point of having GM's is so they can deal with this problem themselves. Instead, Cryptic has decided that GM's should do absolutely nothing and just let these problems fester.

The way it works, and every pplayer is aware of this, if any single player gets "Reported to GM" at least 3 times, that player is banned from chat, mail and any in-game communication device for a period of 24 hours. It's automatic. In effect: players can ban other players from chat.

If you're not aware of this then you choose to be ignorant because it does happen. If another player doesn;t like your opinion or decides that they just don't like you, they can con another two pplayers to report you and you get an automatic 24 hour ban.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    keep in mind any one with more then one account can do this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the system, the issue is not the system but the amount of votes involved. Needing only 3 reports to ban someone from the chat means its easily exploitable by the scum of the universe who are only out to try and ruin other people's fun.
    Say 10 reports would significantly lessen the amount of griefing that can be done, while still being effective to shut down spammers and whatnot.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Judging by the length of this topic, it's obvious that Cryptic still employs a "so what? who cares?" attitude when dealing with this problem. 417 replies in this topic and Cryptic still won't deal with this issue? I wouldn't mind if Cryptic employed a higher report count but it appears they don't care that players are abusing this feature.

Looks like my opinion of in-game GM's just dropped to a whole new level. I'm not saying that GM's don't serve their purpose but the whole point of the report system is that "banning" users from chat should not be placed in the hands of players.

Exactly what do in-game GM's do, anyway, if players are able to ban other players.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You cant allow the playerbase to determine someones... fait if you will in game when it effects them on a scale of 24hrs. I also want to add that Im also a fleet leader and having the ability removed from me to chat hits hard, not that my position in a fleet is any different then someone not in a fleet.

There is no reason the ban has to effect your own channels, fleet, PM's, or anything else besides Zone to begin with. That is just stupid. If they do not want to see what you are typing they can put you on ignore and move on with their lives.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I understand there are people out there that spam, or post continous "item links" in zone chat or what have you and that should be delt with accordingly.. but again allowing people to determine punishment of someones chat abilities is wrong because there will always people who abuse the system.

It is pretty standard in all the games I have played, enough spam reports and a 24 hour mute is activated. The only one that didn't have it when I played was RS and that was because they had player moderators in game who had the power to silence and they had strict rules to work by as to what could and could not be silenced. Any silences they did were looked at very quickly to either confirm it or remove it.

In the other games I have played it takes a certain number of people to get someone silenced by the report spam feature, however unlike here most have no idea what that number is. Also if it is found someone is using it intentionally to grief then they are the one who gets punshed.
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    There is no reason the ban has to effect your own channels, fleet, PM's, or anything else besides Zone to begin with. That is just stupid. If they do not want to see what you are typing they can put you on ignore and move on with their lives.

If enough people put you on ignore in a period of time then there is still, from what I have read, a silencing of the account in other channels. Which needs to be removed as far as I am concerned as ignore is used for personal reasons not necessarily spam.

However I do agree that fleet needs to be removed from the list of channels that you are silenced on. However PMs is a difficult one to play with as they can be used for spam too as can mail. A solution would be to allow those silenced to reply to PMs and mails like f2p can in their first 20 hours, that way they can still chat with their friends who PM them or reply to mails sent to them.
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yes once again someone has gotten me silence or your system needs a over haul and or you need to remove the silence system completely and have actual people doing the work instead of a machince because people have tendancy to falsly report others for next to nothing, like for instance today I posted a anti proton mag because someone asked to see 1 , SO I posted it 1 time and 1 time only and next thing you know I get flagged as spammer WHICH IS WRONG and violates my freedom of speech right because your chat system bans me on every channel, so either you need to fix it where it doesn't ban you on every channel and violate my rights to talk, or remove the silence system all together, either fix it or get rid of it because I haven't paid you all money to play this game for nothing and this is not a flame or troll or any of that this is fact
  • Options
    lobstercatlobstercat Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Feel for you dude. I agree the system is open to abuse and should be fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    im sick and tired of this like I said previous message I am not happy with your system GET IT FIXED
  • Options
    relic289relic289 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree the chat system on STOL isn't really any good. There seems to be a few sh]t heads on STOL. I use private message to help anyone and give info on STOL. Life is to short to be mad. :D
  • Options
    buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A lot of players have reached 0 tolerance for spam on zone chat and certain activities are guaranteed to draw a flag. Next time be a little smarter about it and use PM to show off a piece of equipment to somebody. As for your freedom of speech rights; don't even go there.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Unless somebody has elected Cryptic Studios to congress it's a pretty weak argument.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    buzzout wrote: »
    A lot of players have reached 0 tolerance for spam on zone chat and certain activities are guaranteed to draw a flag. Next time be a little smarter about it and use PM to show off a piece of equipment to somebody. As for your freedom of speech rights; don't even go there.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Unless somebody has elected Cryptic Studios to congress it's a pretty weak argument.

WELLL if you cared to pay attn. this isn't spam you newb SPAM is posting it over and over and over again like a dumb idiot ongoing or all capital letters like they mad, which im getting a short fuse with this because I am a fleet leader have been for a while now and every time this happens because OF ABUSE is the word not spamming ABUSE on the wrong party @ that, they need to FIX it to where it cannot silence you on all channels ONLY Zone Chat so no one can complain about freedom of speech , you should even know better then to try that sorry punch line with me I am the Customer as well as all the other 42 pages of complaints about the silence system and poor customer support on the issue.