What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus - Legacy and Starter Pack FAQ

Comments

• Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I'm certain special ships within the starter packs will be available individually in the C-Store after hte expansion launches, I wish there was a middle option for the packs. As it stands now, you wither spend $20 on a starter pack, or $105 more for the next pack up. That's quite a difference, and assumes that players have a lot of disposable income in a time where finances are tough and the job market isn't pretty.
    And here's another thought I had: When I bought the STO box, it was only $60. The Special Edition was $80. Understandably, the nature of the game has changed,(sub-based vs F2P w/ cash store & optional subs), but asking me (personally) to spend $125 on an expansion to a F2P game seems, well, silly at best.

And the boasted savings? Well, Cryptic and PWE are the ones charging $20 for virtual items, so really they can save you (or not) as little or as much as they want, depending on the overhead involved in the game and how much profit they want.

Understandably, games have to keep themselves in business, but offering a pre-launch buy-in for $125 and claiming that it will save me money, on prices Cryptic and PWE set on their own virtual items... it just seems sort of disingenuous. I know it's what most businesses do, but I think I'm mostly put off because I think the prices for many C-Store items are already inflated, and the only way I can "save money" is by "spending $125."

I think I'll take my chances in-game and on the C-Store. Heck, unless I can get in on a beta (which I don't like to play anyhow), I'm not really sure if the up-front purchase will really be worth it. And that's all this really is: a pre-order. And I don't generally do pre-orders, lest I get hyped up about something that ends up being horrible (the poor SimCity pre-orderers...). Although I know how the game operates, I'm not sure of the Romulan faction in and of itself is worth the pre-order.

Besides, I'm a grown-up. I have a house, bills, a kid, etc., etc. $125 could go a long way towards things like food and electricity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And here's another thought I had: When I bought the STO box, it was only $60. The Special Edition was $80. Understandably, the nature of the game has changed,(sub-based vs F2P w/ cash store & optional subs), but asking me (personally) to spend $125 on an expansion to a F2P game seems, well, silly at best.
    Try to understand this. The Legacy Pack is not an Expansion. It's a bundle of upcoming C-Store items sold at a discount. You can buy them all now and save 30% or you can buy them all in the C-Store later for no discount. Your choice.

The Packs are not required to play LoR. Roms get free T1 through T5 ships and uniforms just like Feds and KDF do. You're not required to buy anything to play a Romulan.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The legacy pack really should include an extra character slot as it adds a new playable race, remans. Also, extra ship slot would be a good idea with all those ships, they may exceed the number of slots available.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    nevawinna wrote: »
    The legacy pack really should include an extra character slot as it adds a new playable race, remans. Also, extra ship slot would be a good idea with all those ships, they may exceed the number of slots available.
    You don't get extra ship slots when you buy a Fed or KDF ship from the C-Store, so I see no reason to get it when buying Rom ships from the C-Store.

And at this point in time we don't know if all players will get a free Rom character slot automatically or not.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I still want to know - if we buy the starter pack, and then decide to buy the legacy pack (which you say we can) will the legacy pack be discounted $20?
    strahn794 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people on here feel they should get more than that, for some reason. I just want Cryptic to know that there are members out there who are happy with their LTS, and simply will want only the same bonuses they get on the other factions - that is what is reasonable for us as players, and for Cryptic as developers. I have no expectation that I should receive a bunch of new things for free that weren't part of the original deal; but I do expect my current LTS perks to extend to my entire account, regardless of faction.

Well said! I also have a lifetime account, and I'm most looking forward to Liberated Borg, and the 1000 days ship.
  • Options
    kiaratonankiaratonan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i really, really want to know if i will be able to make a female reman?
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Try to understand this. The Legacy Pack is not an Expansion. It's a bundle of upcoming C-Store items sold at a discount. You can buy them all now and save 30% or you can buy them all in the C-Store later for no discount. Your choice.

The Packs are not required to play LoR. Roms get free T1 through T5 ships and uniforms just like Feds and KDF do. You're not required to buy anything to play a Romulan.

And thank goodness for that. It's obviously just my perception and such, but ... well, heck, it's a certain je ne sais quoi that makes the whole gamut look less "shiny". I was completely put off by NW when the marketing department told me how much I could "save" on their virtual trinkets, like they were doing me a favor by selling things at less than the usual inflated prices on the real-money store.

It's like when I'm playing my KDF character, and I can either get this cruiser, raptor, or bird of prey... and that's it, unless I want to spend Zen, or save up my paltry stipend for three months just to get a captain-rank ship. I think it's going to be the same with Romulans: one sort of ship for each branch at each rank, unless you pay extra.

I suppose that's the problem with a F2P game. I almost wish we just did subs again, where we just paid a monthly flat rate and that was it, here you go, thanks for your continued patronage, etc. Showing my age I guess. But it's also why I take long breaks from STO: after a while, I need a break from the C-Store-lockbox-pick-a-ship-buy-a-costume stuff, so I buy whole games on sale at Steam and play those for a few months.

OK, rant over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You don't get extra ship slots when you buy a Fed or KDF ship from the C-Store, so I see no reason to get it when buying Rom ships from the C-Store.

And at this point in time we don't know if all players will get a free Rom character slot automatically or not.

Doesn't matter, all players don't pay a hefty fee for the legacy pack. It adds ANOTHER playable race, yet no slot to play it. So basically it's "have a nice new race to play with. BUT... you also have to buy an extra character slot to actually play one."

It's like putting a car on the lottery but making you pay extra if you want one with wheels.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    nevawinna wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, all players don't pay a hefty fee for the legacy pack. It adds ANOTHER playable race, yet no slot to play it. So basically it's "have a nice new race to play with. BUT... you also have to buy an extra character slot to actually play one."

It's like putting a car on the lottery but making you pay extra if you want one with wheels.
    It's not a hefty fee. It's actually a 30% discount on upcoming C-Store ships. As you're not required to buy the Pack to play a Romulan most Rom players won't get it.

And adding another playable Race is meaningless. Feds don't get an additional Character Slot when Feds buy a Catian playable Races. The KDF don't get an additional Character Slot when they buy a Ferasan playable race.

You're asking for something for the Roms that no other Faction gets.
  • Options
    xxbrentisbeastxxxxbrentisbeastxx Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am a lifetime subscriber to STO and i am wondering with all this new stuff, will we lifetimer's get any of it for free? The starter pack and or the other pack that includes that, will we get any of that? Or do we have to pay an additional hundred plus dollars for this new stuff for Romulan/Reman?
    "Saddle up. Lock and load." - Data

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am a lifetime subscriber to STO and i am wondering with all this new stuff, will we lifetimer's get any of it for free? The starter pack and or the other pack that includes that, will we get any of that? Or do we have to pay an additional hundred plus dollars for this new stuff for Romulan/Reman?

You'll probably have to pay
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Will any of the things in the Legacy pack be available later on, individually?

With the economy the way it is $125.00 dollars in a single pop, is too rich for my bank account now-a-days.

QFT. I really want to support them on this, and I want pretty much everything in this pack, but it's realistically going to take me a couple of months to save that kind of money. I hope this pack doesn't become unavailable, or double in price the day of release! >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    joey3773joey3773 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Bought.

-Expensive, but...
    So if you are a lifetime Subscriber you still need to purchase upgrade ?
  • Options
    zenbrilligzenbrillig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    azyurion wrote: »
    I am curious as to why there is no middle priced Legacy of Romulus pre-order package? We have the top ($125) and bottom ($20) end being offered, but nothing in between those extremes.

I would encourage PWE/Cryptic tio consider offering a pre-order package in the $50 to $60 range. I believe there are many players, as myself, who would like to support the expansion, but consider the basic package too spartan and the top package more than is desirable. After all, many of us STO old timers have STO pre-order items which quickly became inadequate, obsolescent, or forgettable once we advanced past Lieutenant.

Understand the Cryptic and PWE are still experimenting with the Western market. Neverwinter had 3 packages, $20, $60 and $200. It's tempting to speculate that they sold more $60 packages than they expected, and less $200 packages. So now they have a $125 package and they're going to see how that does - in short, they're running an experiment to see at what price-point the majority of Western gamers become critically sensitive to cost.

You may argue it's an apples to oranges comparison, since they're different games, but I think in PWE's view, it's more of an apples to apple-pears comparison.
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll be purchasing the Legacy Pack come Saturady when I get paid again.

I can understand where some people would balk at paying $125 all at once, especially if they only run one character per faction. But me, I'm a ship geek. I love the aesthetics of Romulan ship designs. I'm also an altoholic, I'm already planning at least 4 RR characters (a Romulan and Reman allied Fed, and a Romulan and Reman allied KDF), so I'll be getting at least 4 uses out of each ship. So looking at the savings over what I'd spend buying each ship individually down the road plus all the other little goodies I see the Legacy pack as a good deal. Plus it's not as if the packs are in anyway required to play upcoming Romulan mission content, that's still free for everyone in game.

Also a final thought: how many of the people complaining that the Legacy pack is "overpriced" have spent $100+ on lockbox keys to get a single ship? ;)
  • Options
    brickyardbrickyard Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How can I cancel the pre-order I've made?

I was just curious what the exact price + VAT would be if I ordered from Holland, although I never saw the exact price, other than "finished".

P2W is Pay to Play for me, what else? Duh! :D
  • Options
    zenbrilligzenbrillig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    brickyard wrote: »
    How can I cancel the pre-order I've made?

I was just curious what the exact price + VAT would be if I ordered from Holland, although I never saw the exact price, other than "finished".

Contact billing support and they should be able to handle that for you.
  • Options
    rubixthethirdrubixthethird Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    how much of this are lifetime members getting?
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    so i just bought the starter pack and it came to USD 25.57 wth ? how is that a saving ?
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    gespensterjaegergespensterjaeger Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Q: Can I use the Reman "Nemesis" uniform on my FED/KDF characters? How about my Bridge Officers?
    A: Only Reman characters and Reman Bridge Officers may use this uniform.

Does this include the Reman bridge officer from the featured episode for kdf and federation ?

Q:Cloak bugg is it fixed or not in legacy of romulus for all cloaked ships?

how come no developer is answering these important questions ?

your trying to sell something but cannot answer a simple question regarding a bugg thats been here for 3 years ?
    If only they fix Cloaking bugg :( *new message BOOM decloacked.
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm wondering if the T'Liss (TOS) BoP skin will be able to be used on the T'Varo T5 retro. Please say yes :D This honestly might be a dealbreaker for me if it isn't.

I must confess that i share this sentiment to some degree, as i love the classic designs of TOS/TAS. As a kid i got 2 or 3 of the AMT/Ertl kits for the main trinity of ships; Constitution-class Heavy Cruiser, Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser and the Romulan Bird-of-Prey. That kit is still in my personal top 5 Trek kits! So Hell Yeah!! The T'Liss should be an available skin for the T'Varo (and vice-versa) for those who purchase the Packs (or T'Varo separately).

Do love the Valdore Heavy Warbird and Master Keys though;)
    Q: Will all players gain 1 new Character Slot for the Romulan Republic or will we (majority of players) need to buy some?

I do hope the introductory pricing will continue at least 3-4 weeks past the 21 May launch. I'm changing jobs (again) and am likely to face a 1-3 week lag in paychecks. I also play on the 6 accounts i own and would like to get the Legacy Pack on 3 of them.
    ==I have no intentetion of selling any of my accounts EVER so don't ask!==
    ==My friends know why i have multiple accounts; do not inquire about it in this thread, mail me instead. Thank You.==
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2013
    how much of this are lifetime members getting?

Almost none of it. Most of the Legacy pack and Starter pack consist of C-Store items which LTS will have to buy. Hopefully LTS will get the same benefits they get on their Fed and KDF factions carried over as in liberated borg playable character, Android boff, extra ship/boff/inventory slots etc.

What LTS, Gold and Veteran players are getting will be released in another post but it won't be anything from the 2 packs.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now that I've had some sleep, I can see that some of my posts came over as somewhat agressive. That was not my intent. I was tired, and my brain was not receiving full power.

Now, some one said I might be angry that I could not afford to buy the Legacy pack. Nothing is more far rom the truth, I can afford it just fine, but it was more the high price that got under my skin.

I was thinking that we were paying the high price for the Legacy pack as if we were buying an exp pack, but LOR is free of charge.

Now that I have gotten some sleep, and re-read the info, I realize that this is a good offer for the C-Store ships.

Is the price still high? Yes, 100+ space bucks is much, no matter your economical status.

But there you have it. Lack of sleep can make one go cross eyed, wich happened to me. :D

Now I lean more towards getting the Legacy pack, but I need more info on the ship stats before I take the leap...
  • Options
    lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is there a way i can see that i pre-orderd the pack? I bought it via paypal but i cannot see it on the "my account" page or anywhere else.
  • Options
    craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah, i think it should be thrown in as a added bonus for being a lifetime member
    Cryptic, please make it so :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    pwefail wrote: »
    so i just bought the starter pack and it came to USD 25.57 wth ? how is that a saving ?
    Well, first it's a $31.00 Pack, so $25.57 is cheaper than $31.00. :)

Second, I'm assuming you're European. Europeans get VAT added to all their online purchased by their country. VAT is a tax your country charges you for buying things online outside of your country. Cryptic has no control over VAT. They take it and send it to the various European countries each quarter.
  • Options
    sirricwinsirricwin Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, first it's a $31.00 Pack, so $25.57 is cheaper than $31.00. :)

Second, I'm assuming you're European. Europeans get VAT added to all their online purchased by their country. VAT is a tax your country charges you for buying things online outside of your country. Cryptic has no control over VAT. They take it and send it to the various European countries each quarter.

If Wargaming can avoid that silly Eurocrat tax and charge their $30 as $30 (approx ?19.80 GBP) then why cant PWE?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sirricwin wrote: »
    If Wargaming can avoid that silly Eurocrat tax and charge their $30 as $30 (approx ?19.80 GBP) then why cant PWE?
    Wargaming.net is owned by BWT, which is an Australian company. Australia probably has an agreement with the EU and uses their rules for VAT - and thus they get an exception, as EU members normally get even though Australia isn't in the EU. They get to claim VAT as a inter-company and thus don't need to collect it. The US has no VAT laws, and thus they can't be in agreement with the EU laws.

And, of course, there are some companies which are just willing to eat the 15-25% themselves, but no company's required to. PWE isn't one of those companies - and most US companies also won't eat it.
  • Options
    sirricwinsirricwin Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well that makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seanzilla4seanzilla4 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "I'll take eight!"

-Dr. Zoidberg
This discussion has been closed.