Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    So why would a new player -not- want to play Romulan? Sounds like you get a better deal than if you play Fed or KDF, as you get everything from those two factions -on top of- Romulan content, but not if you play Fed or KDF.

Sound about right?

As a Romulan you don't get the story missions, the races and the uniforms of the ally faction. No idea if this restrictions affects the bridge officers. Even alien is going to be limited, both as a premium race and in what looks they can use. It might not seem like much, but that will make a difference to a lot of people. After all, you can only use one ship at a time and having a bajillon to choose from isn't that great since most folks will be using the D'Deridex or the Scimitar anyway.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So by what Dstahl said, everyone who already made Romulans using the alien option, already experience Romulan endgame. Epic.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    After all, you can only use one ship at a time and having a bajillon to choose from isn't that great since most folks will be using the D'Deridex or the Scimitar anyway.

I admit I'll get the D'Deridex for vanity reasons and because I realy like the way it looks, especially after seeing how the did it in the Friday schreenshot.
    However, I actually plan of using one of those beastys when they become availible!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    If you checked the LoR teaser site we were supposed to be able to be roms and remans but i guess cryptic decided a lie in the face is better then a truth in the ear.

I did check out the LoR site, BEFORE asking my question.

My question was "Do I have to level a ROMULAN in Romulan rep to unlock a REMAN alt or can my KDF unlock Reman so my first Republic alt can be Reman?"
    I am aware of what was said, and equally aware of what is now known to be the case. The answer to my question based on the latter is still nonexistent and knowledge of the former does not assuage that or negate it in any way.

I can't help but feel that people's anger at Cryptic is making them snipe at other players needlessly. Your own post, for example, tells me only what WAS supposed to be and that you are not happy about it.

Personally, I wanted to play Hirogen or Suliban at some point, but I'll not hold my breath on either count despite seeing a cracking screenshot of a Suliban in Enterprise clothing in another thread that did not appear to be a generic alien made to look Suliban but the real thing.

EDIT - found the thread with Suliban in it...
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=599331

... and it IS a generic alien, just with a choice I've never seen before. Poo.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Look if you join a faction then you'll get full access to that faction and that means doing the missions and dailies of that faction.
    Those missions and dailies are written as orders from Starfleet or KDF superiors. Thus if a Romulan does them, they will be taking orders from Starfleet and the KDF. It's that simple.

Again, if you choose to do them. According to Dastahl, there are around 40 levels of Romulan-specific content. We don't know what all is available content-wise, what new dailies, etc., may be added.

If you don't want to play Fed or KDF content on your Romulan, don't. It sounds like the only point where it may become necessary is post level 40 (the Fed faction started out with 40 levels as well). It may not be ideal, but it's not a national disaster either.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013

My question was "Do I have to level a ROMULAN in Romulan rep to unlock a REMAN alt or can my KDF unlock Reman so my first Republic alt can be Reman?"
    I am aware of what was said, and equally aware of what is now known to be the case. The answer to my question based on the latter is still nonexistent and knowledge of the former does not assuage that or negate it in any way.

I can't help but feel that people's anger at Cryptic is making them snipe at other players needlessly. Your own post, for example, tells me only what WAS supposed to be and that you are not happy about it.

Personally, I wanted to play Hirogen or Suliban at some point, but I'll not hold my breath on either count despite seeing a cracking screenshot of a Suliban in Enterprise clothing in another thread that did not appear to be a generic alien made to look Suliban but the real thing.

Yeah all I can see is remens appear to be an account wide unlock thru the reputation system. Which is guess could change but I doubt it will. Alien Is gold/lifer unlock.

So maybe if say your kdf has completed the rom rep you can roll 1 straight away. But I guess new players can't until the rom rep is complete.
  • Options
    nolaxonolaxo Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm honestly not a huge gamer, just a lifetime Trek-fan that really loves this game, so please indulge me. But, how will the expansion pack be released? Will it appear as an update patch? Or will there be a place to digitally download it? Will there be a physical box set available at GameStop, or something? Will the expansion cost real money, or will it be available to lifetime members (like myself)? Just looking for a little clarity in the acquisition area. Thanks.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thetanine wrote: »
    Here is a quote from Dan from the latest Ask Cryptic:

Folks,

This goes right back to Sherman's Planet and the Organians. Let me quote you a passage from Memory Alpha:

Following the Federation-Klingon War in 2267, and per terms of the Organian Peace Treaty, ownership of Sherman's Planet could be assumed by the side that could most effectively develop it. The Federation's intentions for Sherman's Planet were to use it to cultivate quadrotriticale, a grain well adapted to the planet's climate. After the quadrotriticale was poisoned on Deep Space Station K-7, Starfleet diverted a freighter laded down with this grain to Sherman's Planet. The grain would be delivered a few weeks later than anticipated. (TOS: "The Trouble with Tribbles")

Quoted from: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_Planet

And so you can see, Cryptic is really digging deep into the lore of Star Trek for us here. I hope everyone can appreciate the subtlety of the depths this plunges us all into. And thanks to midniteshadow7 for posing this question to Ask Cryptic.

Dude - I REALLY doubt that stahl/Cryptic/Devs are looking at some Star Trek arcana as their reasoning to make it a 2.5 faction. It's more likley it was more work then they expected.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nolaxo wrote: »
    Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm honestly not a huge gamer, just a lifetime Trek-fan that really loves this game, so please indulge me. But, how will the expansion pack be released? Will it appear as an update patch? Or will there be a place to digitally download it? Will there be a physical box set available at GameStop, or something? Will the expansion cost real money, or will it be available to lifetime members (like myself)? Just looking for a little clarity in the acquisition area. Thanks.

It will be like with the other patches; only this time much bigger.

But usually there are prepatches so when the day arrives it should not be that much anymore. So don't worry, just relax and play like usual.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    nolaxo wrote: »

just download like a normal patch on may 21st from the launcher when you log in. it will be a free download

and for the record it's not a silly question so never be afraid or worried about asking anything. people should be here to help always :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    and for the record it's not a silly question so never be afraid or worried about asking anything. people should be here to help always :)

quoted for truth. :cool:
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”

• Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dan,

Im not a Romulan loyalist. Ive got no issues with the Republic concept and decisions you've made so far. Im a casual, just playing for Star Trek story. Look up my account to see how Ive spent in your game.

So, beyond what you have in the can for this update, what are Cryptic's plans for advancing the storyline fairly between now three factions? I havnt even taken my only Klink out of the shipyard yet. Im not interested in playing KDF flavored Fed missions, and thats mostly what KDF is so far I assume. I plan on creating ONE Romulan to experience this prequal story of theirs. But after that, what incentive is there for me to keep going once my Romulan gets Back to the Future of 2410? If you all are just going to write Fed missions, then flavor one KDF and one Romulan, I have no interest in that, as Ive already played that with my main Fed toon. If thats the plan, you wont tempt me to buy Romulan clothes, DOFFs, ships, etc. I will let her wilt and die.

Personally, Id like to see you all make three separate missions, one for each faction, bundled three at a time, or better yet two each for 6 eps released at a time. They can all play off each other to advance the STO timeline, but dont all HAVE to be played. So if a player wants to just play Fed, and keep his Fed colored lenses on, he can. But if he wants to see what the KDF and Romulans are doing, and how THEY are handling the current universe dilema facing all three of them, he will want to play those two factions too for maximum story enjoyment. If this is not what you have in mind for the future story advancement of these three factions in this game, then as EP, please explain why my idea for fair story content release wouldnt work. I wont spend money as a Romulan or KDF until I see story compelling reasons to keep those toons fresh and well equiped. Some assurances from you now and your gameplan going forward would go a long way in making players believe KDF and or Romulans are factions worth spending money for.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013

EDIT - found the thread with Suliban in it...
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=599331

... and it IS a generic alien, just with a choice I've never seen before. Poo.

Answer from Ask Cryptic post:

Q: (kekvin) What races (species) will be in the Romulan faction?

Dstahl: At the launch of Legacy of Romulus there will be Romulans, Remans, and Alien-Gen hybrids. Reman species are an ACCOUNT UNLOCKED reward that will be added to the New Romulus Reputation or available for purchase. Alien-Gen hybrids may only be created by Subscribers or Lifetime members. In the future we will be adding more species to the Romulan faction.

So it sounds to me if you account has a character that has unlocked the Romulan Rep for that then it will be available... I understand your question but I could have a rommie and still unlock the character from my fed having completed the rom rep from the way this reads. If all else fails you can buy it from the start.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    angelfire25angelfire25 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi there,!
    I represent the majority of STO players and we fully endorse and approve of Cryptic's decision in this issue. All other opinions are invalid. G'day!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Don't know why, mikefl, but when you put it in RED it makes more sense to me.:rolleyes:
    Thank you.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Hi there,!
    I represent the majority of STO players and we fully endorse and approve of Cryptic's decision in this issue. All other opinions are invalid. G'day!

april fools is a couple of days away lol
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im sure this has been said before but at least to me it would not feel as bad as it does and be much more like a true own faction and a sneaky romulan one at that if romulans would be able to switch sides.
    Actually Im not sure it has been said that the side i'm choosing at lvl 10 is final.

If not romulans would feel much more like the sneaky TRIBBLE they are and it would be much more like what stahl said about them just using the kdf/feds to rebuild.

In the end they may have been weakend a lot with the loss of romulus and the story leading up to 2409 but in the end they are still strong enough to be a contender of power in the galaxy. What i mean is that when the romulans would finally choose one side in the fed/kdf war that side would gain a LOT of momentum and probably just win the war. So basically making the romulans use their position as the one that can easily tip the balance of the war and using this postion to get massive support from feds AND kdf would make totally sense to me at least.
    Just allow switching sides somehow, maybe as a projekt in the romulan reputation or something and make it expensive but have it in there and I guess a lot of people would feel much more romulan and much more like a true own faction and in the end be much happier with the whole situation.
    It would not conflict with any faction-queues stuff, not much more to implement just allowing some kind of switching sides. I'm sure this will bring up a lot of problems with ships being carried over from fed side to kdf side but well i would just leave it as being a nice special for the romulan "then truly worth the name" faction.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First off, yikes! I cannot believe I just read this whole thread in one sitting with no coffee!

Second, so much hate... not just at the announcement but at anyone who dares disagree with an opposing view. How is any of that helpful?
    That's kinda how forums work :D Especially STO's forums

A lot of people who are disappointed it wasn't exactly what they individually wanted, assumptions are running rampant and making posts based off them (including that they were misled in the first place ;) ), and a lot of the negativity is based off a select group of 10+ posters, not an actual majority of the forum posters...

Much less a majority of the game's total players, who don't come to the forums XD

Either way, the first few days on a forum after a big announcement isn't the best indicator of a mood. People will re-understand what they didn't before, make new opinions and stuff, and otherwise cool down... regardless of whether the ultimate opinion is good or bad. So don't mistake this thread blowing it out of proportion as the truth

And as a note for those reading this: your concerns are valid. Just tone down the hatred please, that's all: it doesn't help anyone
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

- PvP, which I never cared about
    - Starbases, on which I'm burned out already
    - PvE queues, which is good for waiting times

In short: A faction without all the annoying baggage.
    Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    themartian wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of the Romulans joining with either the Federation or the Empire. Firstly, it makes sense with where the Romulans are at in STO. This isn't set in one of the TV series after all. Not to mention the fact that allying with someone doesn't mean you give yourself wholeheartedly and I suspect the Romulans will have a blade pointed at their ally's back.

Secondly, it means I don't have to help another fleet grind out a starbase from scratch (which would mean neglecting my Fed and Klingon fleets).

I can understand why the idea of Romulans basically fighting each other in PvP makes little sense, but then the Federation-Klingon war never made any real sense to me anyway.

All in all, I'm looking forward to rolling my first Romulan alt.

It seems I am in the minority here, but as far as the story and the fleet starbases, this is how I feel.

However--what I DO care greatly about is the technical quality of the release. There are two things that I will be looking for, that will determine whether or not I am comfortable putting money back in this game, which I have not done this year so far.

1) Cryptic must show proper attention to Tribble tests--LISTENING to its player base about bugs, glitches, and other items that may cause serious disruption to the community. In other words, I expect a professional QA job, which we have not seen prior to this point.

2) Cryptic must bring balance to the in-game economy, or at least not mess things up any further.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.

GET THIS KLINGON BLOODWINE!!! and a life time coupon for free Tribble exterminating.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, if you put Romulan ships into the C-Store and they are an accound wide unlock like all the other c-store ships: Will all our Romulan characters, no-matter which side we chose (Rommi-A goes FED, Rommi-B goes KDF), be able to use them?
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry Cryptic, but that wasn't what I was expecting either... Expected an entire faction with all the hype...
  • Options
    p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The less new grind content the better imo. Overall I'm happy w/the choice to postpone any new fleet grind. The one thing I'd like is the potential to later on allow all toons to become double agents and switch sides/alliances.

I think this would make a more interesting PvP dynamic w/Open PvP sector since potentionally this could lead stealing resources, tech, and sabatages. It would allow for a grey area instead of the black/white Fed vs KDF front, a Cabal w/in Cabals if you will. Long term locking players into alliances diminishes this potential.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Bring it on then!

Well said. I'm really looking forward to this now.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    bronzephantombronzephantom Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    A different way to look at it

By allying with the Federation and the Empire the STAR EMPIRE can gain a foothold in their space , access to their darkest secrets and possibly control of their fleets (the number of fleets I have seen left with only a few people is HUGE)
    The eventual dominance of the Romulans is a high probability

However I must suggest that we all (as a forum , group and species) Agree NOT to vape other Romulans in pvp

I agree Romulan captains should avoid at any cost to fire upon each other, The Star Empire will be greater then the federation and the klingons combined since we will know the flaws of fed/kdf ships and exploit that when we make our move.

with borg adaption technology we could adapt our cloaks to be undetectable to detection grids, We could have fleets at their core worlds without their knowing, attack and capture their core worlds while their fleets are away.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Despite a few diasspointments, I can honestly say I can't wait until May when this drops, especially having seens some screenies of the new character creator. That said, i'd love bit more clarification on the following items;

1.) Why haven't the Lifetime Rewards been sorted yet? There's like, a month or two until release, and you still don't know if you're goign to give 1000-day subscribers their veteran ship in Romulan form. What about the Android boff?

2.) The issue with the free character slot - why is there a question of how to "award" it? Surely it's as simple as "It's a free character slot, (Rom restricted, obviously) here you go, have fun." I don't see that we should have to jump through any more hoops just to play the game.

3.) Like others have said, can I unlock the Reman on my Fed or do I have to grind like a bar steward on my new Romulan char?

Finally, while I do admit that less grind = more fun, I sincerely hope Romulan Fleets and Starbases are seriously considered for future release. Because that would be just awesome, once people have gotten their Fed/KDF starbases to T5.

Additionally, will the Romulans get their own version of the MACO/Honour Guard?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    vividhvividh Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Bring it on then!

Well said - totally agree
    In game: @vividh
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder what the Rank 5 level Romulan ships are going to be.

Are they going to be the base 9 console models, with C-Store versions as Fleet-Equivalents?

I cannot imagine them releasing all the Romulan ships as fleet equivalent, as this would complete negate the SB system for the Romulans in the long run, as well as upsetting most of the folks who needed to fork out cash for their fleet ships.

If not then it kinds of defeats the entire point of a new faction.

If the only improved ships one can get ones hands on are the ships of the Fed or FED patrons, then seriously I'm mifted big time.

Why would I care to do that? I don't even desire the fleets ships as they are now? Why would I want to now grind a Romulan just to afford the privilege of flying around in a Negh'var because the Romulan ships are base c-store versions as I suspect they will be.

Please forgive the speculation on my part but this cloak-and-dagger routine is very confusing.
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Because many customers have spent money to purchase exclusive ships and have spent countless hours of effort to build up starbases and fleet holdings. We are trying to be as open as possible with the Romulans to respect the investments that have been made in the game. That is why you are seeing people post "thank you for considering that" threads when it comes to Starbases. We haven't ruled out allowing Romulan Starbases in the future, but for now, we're limiting it to existing Fed or KDF faction holdings.

Playing as New Romulan means that you'll be playing a prequel storyline where we establish the Romulan Republic and all of the events that lead up to New Romulus and the Romulan Feature Episode Series. You'll have exclusive content all the way from start up through that point and if then choose to say "done". You will have had an experience just as valid as the Fed had at the launch of the game. If you want to then continue on with end game, then you'll have access to all of the Feature Episode series, Events, and Dailies that everyone else has - there's not much exclusive to anyone in that content.

But play it for yourself when it comes out, or play it on TRIBBLE. It is free. Make your own choice if you want to play a Romulan after you dig into it and see all that is there.

so what happens when u do release rommy starbase? does that mean the romuloan toon we lvled and picked a side is stuck in thet factions base or can we leave it join a full romulan base. or is it we have to roll a new toon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]