test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am disappointed with the lack of species options for starting an unfinished implementation. Lifetime subscribers are missing their Borg Captain option, there are no Hirogen, and many other options are missing. Forcing Romulan players to either half to align with the Fed's or KDF just further disappoints from a PvE and a PvP standpoint!
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »

............................It's a FAAAAAKE

Did it really take 75 pages for someone to post this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Star Trek: Going Romulan

I want a Razer mousemat featuring So'Hot.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Star Trek: Going Romulan

I want a Razer mousemat featuring So'Hot.

Wouldn't you rather have So'Hot featuring a Razer mousemat and nothing else ? :P:o:D
  • thehendoagainthehendoagain Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait to be able to play a Romulan!

Sounds interesting! Also I am glad Klingons will get to start from lvl 1, might have to reroll my Klingon :)

Anything they add with regards to a new faction, i.e. having to side with either Fed/KDF is going to upset a lot of people, but look on the brightside, you don't have to redo all the hard work of your fleet bases etc!

Also keep you wigs on folks! Yes the species choices are a little bland at present, but lets wait to see what Cryptic can do to add in extras etc!

Roll on May! new trek movie and a new race for STO :)
    AoA STO Division Leader

AoA is recruiting in STO... Ask me for more info or visit the recruitment thread Just click here!
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »

No, it's been posted several times already.
    qjunior wrote: »
    Wouldn't you rather have So'Hot featuring a Razer mousemat and nothing else ? :P:o:D

So'Hot's kinda scary looking, but then T'TRIBBLE looks like an idiot so I guess it's still an improvement.

Now, Handsome Phaser Guy with just a mousemat, that I could live with.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know the one thing I can't understand about all this?

Why all the need for secrecy?

They only answer a portion of our questions in the AskCryptic, but hey that's a pr news piece more than it's an actual Q&A so fine. But when they come to see the forums blowing up with people upset, they don't really answer the questions they have. We're told to wait and see and we'll love what they have planned.

What is the point in keeping that information secret?

I guarantee if we had all our questions answered by the devs here on the forums, there'd be far less upset people. Then we could actually discuss things in the proper context, and we'd be able to offer better suggestions and idea. Dastahl wouldn't have to come in here and get mad and tell us we're speculating too much and don't know all the details.

Why won't you give us all the details?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know the one thing I can't understand about all this?

Why all the need for secrecy?

They only answer a portion of our questions in the AskCryptic, but hey that's a pr news piece more than it's an actual Q&A so fine. But when they come to see the forums blowing up with people upset, they don't really answer the questions they have. We're told to wait and see and we'll love what they have planned.

What is the point in keeping that information secret?

I guarantee if we had all our questions answered by the devs here on the forums, there'd be far less upset people. Then we could actually discuss things in the proper context, and we'd be able to offer better suggestions and idea. Dastahl wouldn't have to come in here and get mad and tell us we're speculating too much and don't know all the details.

Why won't you give us all the details?

Half the dev team is busy preparing an onslaught of Blogs with mildly useful information.... :D
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think this is part of the problem, you're basically telling the story of a prequel before having finished the main story. This sort of story would be great to flesh out events but to do so at this point in STO's life, where we haven't had any progress in the game's main story in years can only result in players not caring very much from a narrative perspective.

The other BIG issue, and arguably the most important is that players wanting to play as Romulans don't want to play as "Romulan adventurers" working to rebuild their shattered government. They wanted to be part of the RSE, ideally one reunited and on the rise, ans set AFTER the events of the Romulan FE. So not only did they want it placed in the continuation of the story, they wanted to play as the traditional Romulan Military, extra points if they even got to be part of a de-Iconianized Tal-Shiar.

LoR sounds like letting players play as humans.... that aren't part of Starfleet. It'd be a fantastic option to play something like a Maquis or Freedom Fighter, but only with the Starfleet option already available.

I understand a full third faction is untenable, and many of us were wondering how it'd be done. We mostly expected a mini faction that would require only the occasional upkeep, what you're delivering is not what people were wanting. We'll all play thanks to the lack of content, but I honestly do not see any long term viability unless its purely for the toys it has available to it, making it lacking any sort of fan following.

Well put methinks sans the "untenable" element.

Some of us were looking forward to playing the game again from zero and developing a Romulan starbase and establishing an embassy (with either UFP or KDF) or new government offices -etc.... with our own story line and PvP and other normal things team blue and red enjoy (or suffer depending on your perspective).
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wanted to be on team Green, not happening though.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »

I think I posted it before:

Senator Vreenak - has reviewed the data about the new "Romulan Faction"

His Response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    Well put methinks sans the "untenable" element.

Some of us were looking forward to playing the game again from zero and developing a Romulan starbase and establishing an embassy (with either UFP or KDF) or new government offices -etc.... with our own story line and PvP and other normal things team blue and red enjoy (or suffer depending on your perspective).

see this thing with me im not upset at not having a (((Starbase))) or not having a (((Doff System))) as fed or kdf did not have thes at start but they did have there own Fleet's they did have there own ESD/First City but I am mainly upset as to not having our own fleets that are not tied to fed or kdf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the feds and klinks did or did not have at the start is irrelevant and I wish people would stop bringing it up. The point is they do have it now and romulans don't, for no adequately explained reason.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The fact is that, no matter how much "faction story" there may be, in the end Romulans are just getting rolled into one of the pre-existing factions.

The idea that Romulans will "still be taking orders from the Romulan Republic" is a smokescreen... I would have no problem with Romulans sharing, say, Task Force Omega, just like the Feds and KDF do now... that is an alliance. Each faction has their own vendors and gear and such. Add in the Romulans with their own vendors and equipment, and that would not be galling at all.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The fact is that, no matter how much "faction story" there may be, in the end Romulans are just getting rolled into one of the pre-existing factions.

The idea that Romulans will "still be taking orders from the Romulan Republic" is a smokescreen... I would have no problem with Romulans sharing, say, Task Force Omega, just like the Feds and KDF do now... that is an alliance. Each faction has their own vendors and gear and such. Add in the Romulans with their own vendors and equipment, and that would not be galling at all.

it would have been better to force the romulans and cardassians together!
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thing is, once all the Romulan content has been done, what's a Romulan player left with?
    What's any MMO player left with, once he's done with the content?

What you're complaining about has nothing to do with LoR. It's a problem inherent in pretty much all themepark MMOs. I wouldn't even call it a problem. It's just the nature of the beast.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    see this thing with me im not upset at not having a (((Starbase))) or not having a (((Doff System))) as fed or kdf did not have thes at start but they did have there own Fleet's they did have there own ESD/First City but I am mainly upset as to not having our own fleets that are not tied to fed or kdf

I think many people are in that camp sadly enough.

Oddly I keep thinking about what Cryptic said about this being a model as to how they roll out additional factions in the future! So every new faction is a a redheaded TRIBBLE child of team blue or red then maybe (after some secret number of sales or player metrics) the faction would be worthy of standing on its own with the player only to have to grind out the same stuff we could have been grinding out from the beginning? It does not make sense to me..... :confused:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh please, you're the worst of the Cryptic apologists on this forum - it's thanks to people like you that Cryptic (falsely) thinks it can inflict things like Season 7 on the player-base without consequence.

If you actually gave a TRIBBLE about Trek, this game or its players you wouldn't be posting pro-Cryptic drivel like this - you'd either keep your ill-considered thoughts to yourself or at least acknowledge the fact that the Romulans as a race in Star Trek deserve more than being grafted on to the Feds/KDF.
    Since when was it your call to virtually stifle someone who is of the opinion that Cryptic isn't doing anything wrong with the Romulan situation? Who are you to tell other people to keep their opinions about the good that is going to happen in May? Also, the Romulans are getting their due respect, and just because they're ALLYING themselves with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire, it doesn't mean that they'll no longer be Romulan.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As a reader of the Star Trek line of novels, the authors of the past four years had the luxury of responding to the Hobus Supernova event from Abram's 2009 film. And several more years telling their version of the weeks, months or years that followed Shinzon's coup seen in the Nemesis film.

In contrast, our game is set 30 years post Nemesis and 22 years post Hobus. So we didn't get the benefit of experiencing the various instability of the Romulan Empire that far back. Only read about it through one or another author's perspective. Or through the Path to 2409, which is STO's original approach as to how matters progressed. Fun reading to be sure.

But not near as much fun as being a participant. This is our (generally speaking) chance.

So I'm somewhat befuddled by the ongoing perspective of some player's that STO's story doesn't begin until endgame levels. Further compounded by the assumption that each and every new content or mechanic brought to the game must also be for the endgame experience. This happens around the forum a lot. I know many of us have been here from game launch. But just as many - if not more - haven't. Player's who don't jump in at endgame and need a solid experience to build from as well.

It sounds like the majority of the LoR expansion is story content that we would have seen in 2010. Had the development time been available to include it at that point. So it's presented as prequel content from the perspective of one, two, or three year STO veteran's. But from a new player perspective - who join an MMO community every week - it permits immersion into a new faction story. At the beginning.

So now the game will be caught up to certain degree. When the game picks up again with Season Updates, perhaps all Romulan, KDF and Fed player's can move forward together?
    IMO, that sounds fun and worth the wait.

Regarding starship access, recall that the C-store does offer faction specific items. KDF only. Federation only. So a Romulan could buy a T5 B'rel if they want to. Also recall that a Starship Costume tab sits empty at the moment. My bet says that a D7/K't'inga starship comes free from leveling. As well as getting the Fleet version through a KDF fleet. But that Romulan D7 costume with the classic bird on the bottom will come from the C-store as Romulan character's only.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    What's any MMO player left with, once he's done with the content?

What you're complaining about has nothing to do with LoR. It's a problem inherent in pretty much all themepark MMOs. I wouldn't even call it a problem. It's just the nature of the beast.

Not at all. As a KDF I get to do KDF-themed Doff missions, PvP vs the KDF's enemy in this 'war' and begrudgingly fight alongside them for the common good. I get to see my KDF's fleet grow and evolve and I get to wear KDF Honor Guard in ground missions.

As a Romulan allied with the Klingons I get to... do KDF-themed Doff missions, PvP vs my own people in a 'war' that isn't mine, I get to support a KDF fleet instead of one of my own and I get to be a Klingon Honor Guard.

Does that sound Romulan to you?
    Since when was it your call to virtually stifle someone who is of the opinion that Cryptic isn't doing anything wrong with the Romulan situation? Who are you to tell other people to keep their opinions about the good that is going to happen in May? Also, the Romulans are getting their due respect, and just because they're ALLYING themselves with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire, it doesn't mean that they'll no longer be Romulan.

I don't speak for anyone except myself but I get very tired of people supporting poor design and implementation just because they're glad to get anything - the money that people spend on Zen and C-Store purchases pays the developers salaries and honestly, I think the players all the players deserve better than this.

And heck, I don't even like Romulans.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no romulan faction.

TRIBBLE. i owe someone some money.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are reading too much into this, as usual. :rolleyes:

The Romulan Republic is a faction. They get their own storyline missions, ships, etc. All they don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

As somebody else has already noted, Romulus wasn't built in a day. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are reading too much into this, as usual. :rolleyes:

The Romulan Republic is a faction. They get their own storyline missions, ships, etc. All they don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

As somebody else has already noted, Romulus wasn't built in a day. ;)

If Romulans dont start together now , they will never be united in a independent faction with fleets and starbases. People will make their Romulans join exisiting fed and kdf fleets and will not want to leave them.
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ask a player how many factions the game will have after LOR drops in may.

if the answer is anything other than "three," there is no romulan faction. :D

This is how our fleet reacted when we read the Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If Romulans remain neutral to one another...

Can Fed allied Roms invite KDF Roms to Fed starbases and vice versa?

Is there an alliance respec?

Does my Fed with maxed Romulan rep unlock Remans for play?

Overall, not far from what I expected. I look forward to Cardassians in the future.

I wonder if faction respecs or species respecs are also being looked into.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Overall, not far from what I expected. I look forward to Cardassians in the future.

I think you can unlock Remans with maxed Romulan reputation, unless its changed.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Some good questions, I would like to know the answers too as well. :cool:

From my perspective:

Honestly, this is pretty much what I expected from Cryptic.

Since beta they have let themselves down, by constantly over hyping stuff and allowing the playerbase to believe something that they had no intention of delivering.
    Some say that they take a perverse thrill out of trolling us the way they do every single time. I have not seen anything that would dissuade me from agreeing with that statement in 3 years so far.

Will I make a Romulan, yes. Will I be happy that I don't have to start another fleetbase and can use my fleets current T5 base, and all it has to offer, yes.

But.....

Am I satisfied with how they have once again given half measures on something they lead us to believe was happening, no, not by a long shot.

All I know is there are a lot of people not very happy right now.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All you people who are assuming I have one thing to say to you... You know what they say when you assume.. You make an ___ out of you and me.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the hell is this bullsh*t, I thought the Romulans where going to be a new faction not this TRIBBLE. No fleets or starbases really? No three-way pvp options at all. Well sadly Ill have to put my disrupter pistol back on the shelf and go back to Neverwinter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the hell is this bullsh*t, I thought the Romulans where going to be a new faction not this TRIBBLE. No fleets or starbases really? No three-way pvp options at all. Well sadly Ill have to put my disrupter pistol back on the shelf and go back to Neverwinter.

Yeah that'll show 'em. "I don't like what you did in this game so I'm going to leave and go play the other game you made!"

lol...
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter