Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    see this thing with me im not upset at not having a (((Starbase))) or not having a (((Doff System))) as fed or kdf did not have thes at start but they did have there own Fleet's they did have there own ESD/First City but I am mainly upset as to not having our own fleets that are not tied to fed or kdf

I think many people are in that camp sadly enough.

Oddly I keep thinking about what Cryptic said about this being a model as to how they roll out additional factions in the future! So every new faction is a a redheaded TRIBBLE child of team blue or red then maybe (after some secret number of sales or player metrics) the faction would be worthy of standing on its own with the player only to have to grind out the same stuff we could have been grinding out from the beginning? It does not make sense to me..... :confused:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh please, you're the worst of the Cryptic apologists on this forum - it's thanks to people like you that Cryptic (falsely) thinks it can inflict things like Season 7 on the player-base without consequence.

If you actually gave a TRIBBLE about Trek, this game or its players you wouldn't be posting pro-Cryptic drivel like this - you'd either keep your ill-considered thoughts to yourself or at least acknowledge the fact that the Romulans as a race in Star Trek deserve more than being grafted on to the Feds/KDF.
    Since when was it your call to virtually stifle someone who is of the opinion that Cryptic isn't doing anything wrong with the Romulan situation? Who are you to tell other people to keep their opinions about the good that is going to happen in May? Also, the Romulans are getting their due respect, and just because they're ALLYING themselves with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire, it doesn't mean that they'll no longer be Romulan.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As a reader of the Star Trek line of novels, the authors of the past four years had the luxury of responding to the Hobus Supernova event from Abram's 2009 film. And several more years telling their version of the weeks, months or years that followed Shinzon's coup seen in the Nemesis film.

In contrast, our game is set 30 years post Nemesis and 22 years post Hobus. So we didn't get the benefit of experiencing the various instability of the Romulan Empire that far back. Only read about it through one or another author's perspective. Or through the Path to 2409, which is STO's original approach as to how matters progressed. Fun reading to be sure.

But not near as much fun as being a participant. This is our (generally speaking) chance.

So I'm somewhat befuddled by the ongoing perspective of some player's that STO's story doesn't begin until endgame levels. Further compounded by the assumption that each and every new content or mechanic brought to the game must also be for the endgame experience. This happens around the forum a lot. I know many of us have been here from game launch. But just as many - if not more - haven't. Player's who don't jump in at endgame and need a solid experience to build from as well.

It sounds like the majority of the LoR expansion is story content that we would have seen in 2010. Had the development time been available to include it at that point. So it's presented as prequel content from the perspective of one, two, or three year STO veteran's. But from a new player perspective - who join an MMO community every week - it permits immersion into a new faction story. At the beginning.

So now the game will be caught up to certain degree. When the game picks up again with Season Updates, perhaps all Romulan, KDF and Fed player's can move forward together?
    IMO, that sounds fun and worth the wait.

Regarding starship access, recall that the C-store does offer faction specific items. KDF only. Federation only. So a Romulan could buy a T5 B'rel if they want to. Also recall that a Starship Costume tab sits empty at the moment. My bet says that a D7/K't'inga starship comes free from leveling. As well as getting the Fleet version through a KDF fleet. But that Romulan D7 costume with the classic bird on the bottom will come from the C-store as Romulan character's only.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    What's any MMO player left with, once he's done with the content?

What you're complaining about has nothing to do with LoR. It's a problem inherent in pretty much all themepark MMOs. I wouldn't even call it a problem. It's just the nature of the beast.

Not at all. As a KDF I get to do KDF-themed Doff missions, PvP vs the KDF's enemy in this 'war' and begrudgingly fight alongside them for the common good. I get to see my KDF's fleet grow and evolve and I get to wear KDF Honor Guard in ground missions.

As a Romulan allied with the Klingons I get to... do KDF-themed Doff missions, PvP vs my own people in a 'war' that isn't mine, I get to support a KDF fleet instead of one of my own and I get to be a Klingon Honor Guard.

Does that sound Romulan to you?
    Since when was it your call to virtually stifle someone who is of the opinion that Cryptic isn't doing anything wrong with the Romulan situation? Who are you to tell other people to keep their opinions about the good that is going to happen in May? Also, the Romulans are getting their due respect, and just because they're ALLYING themselves with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire, it doesn't mean that they'll no longer be Romulan.

I don't speak for anyone except myself but I get very tired of people supporting poor design and implementation just because they're glad to get anything - the money that people spend on Zen and C-Store purchases pays the developers salaries and honestly, I think the players all the players deserve better than this.

And heck, I don't even like Romulans.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no romulan faction.

TRIBBLE. i owe someone some money.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are reading too much into this, as usual. :rolleyes:

The Romulan Republic is a faction. They get their own storyline missions, ships, etc. All they don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

As somebody else has already noted, Romulus wasn't built in a day. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are reading too much into this, as usual. :rolleyes:

The Romulan Republic is a faction. They get their own storyline missions, ships, etc. All they don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

As somebody else has already noted, Romulus wasn't built in a day. ;)

If Romulans dont start together now , they will never be united in a independent faction with fleets and starbases. People will make their Romulans join exisiting fed and kdf fleets and will not want to leave them.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ask a player how many factions the game will have after LOR drops in may.

if the answer is anything other than "three," there is no romulan faction. :D

This is how our fleet reacted when we read the Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If Romulans remain neutral to one another...

Can Fed allied Roms invite KDF Roms to Fed starbases and vice versa?

Is there an alliance respec?

Does my Fed with maxed Romulan rep unlock Remans for play?

Overall, not far from what I expected. I look forward to Cardassians in the future.

I wonder if faction respecs or species respecs are also being looked into.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Overall, not far from what I expected. I look forward to Cardassians in the future.

I think you can unlock Remans with maxed Romulan reputation, unless its changed.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Some good questions, I would like to know the answers too as well. :cool:

From my perspective:

Honestly, this is pretty much what I expected from Cryptic.

Since beta they have let themselves down, by constantly over hyping stuff and allowing the playerbase to believe something that they had no intention of delivering.
    Some say that they take a perverse thrill out of trolling us the way they do every single time. I have not seen anything that would dissuade me from agreeing with that statement in 3 years so far.

Will I make a Romulan, yes. Will I be happy that I don't have to start another fleetbase and can use my fleets current T5 base, and all it has to offer, yes.

But.....

Am I satisfied with how they have once again given half measures on something they lead us to believe was happening, no, not by a long shot.

All I know is there are a lot of people not very happy right now.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,248 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All you people who are assuming I have one thing to say to you... You know what they say when you assume.. You make an ___ out of you and me.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the hell is this bullsh*t, I thought the Romulans where going to be a new faction not this TRIBBLE. No fleets or starbases really? No three-way pvp options at all. Well sadly Ill have to put my disrupter pistol back on the shelf and go back to Neverwinter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the hell is this bullsh*t, I thought the Romulans where going to be a new faction not this TRIBBLE. No fleets or starbases really? No three-way pvp options at all. Well sadly Ill have to put my disrupter pistol back on the shelf and go back to Neverwinter.

Yeah that'll show 'em. "I don't like what you did in this game so I'm going to leave and go play the other game you made!"

lol...
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Yeah that'll show 'em. "I don't like what you did in this game so I'm going to leave and go play the other game you made!"

lol...

they speak with there money in this case and not there eyes oooooooooooooooo look at the new shiny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah , they get less money from me , and we"ll see how well Neverwinter goes too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How is that not speaking with your money?

lol...
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

- PvP, which I never cared about
    - Starbases, on which I'm burned out already
    - PvE queues, which is good for waiting times

In short: A faction without all the annoying baggage.
    Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.

I have to agree with you 66.6%. I have never played any pvp, but I'm still into maxing out the starbases my toons are on...and I do play pve most of the time. I'm a Trek fan, not a gamer, so I dump way more money into this game that my wife likes, let me tell ya.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    How is that not speaking with your money?

If he goes off to play Neverwinter, a game that Cryptic developed, and spends any money there they still get his money.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If he goes off to play Neverwinter, a game that Cryptic developed, and spends any money there they still get his money.

but for that game not sto....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Yeah they will get money from me for Neverwinter if I stop liking game then they wont. What they wont get is a player playing STO and spending money that way. Ill check out the new stuff in may , doubt Ill stick around after that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You guys really don't see how absurd that is though? If you're that upset with the changes that you're going to leave I can't see why you would then turn around and go spend money on another one of their products. For example Funcom messed up Age of Conan so badly for me that I left and will never, ever touch another one of their products again. Same for EA. I'll never let EA have any of my money no matter what game they make. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then if you're going to turn around and spend money on the same company.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You guys really don't see how absurd that is though? If you're that upset with the changes that you're going to leave I can't see why you would then turn around and go spend money on another one of their products. For example Funcom messed up Age of Conan so badly for me that I left and will never, ever touch another one of their products again. Same for EA. I'll never let EA have any of my money no matter what game they make. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then if you're going to turn around and spend money on the same company.

There are people who are frustrated by champions online lack of new content but still come over to STO and play this game. All it does is save me more money, if the Romulans get the things I wanted them to have then STO will get more money and playtime from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, it's been posted several times already.

So'Hot's kinda scary looking, but then T'TRIBBLE looks like an idiot so I guess it's still an improvement.

Now, Handsome Phaser Guy with just a mousemat, that I could live with.

I'll bet I know where he's going to be holding that mousemat, after ringing your bell. :D

(??before, ringing your bell??)

<chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    There are people who are frustrated by champions online lack of new content but still come over to STO and play this game. All it does is save me more money, if the Romulans get the things I wanted them to have then STO will get more money and playtime from me.

Well I'm certainly not going to try and stop you, it's just that it seems so strange to me. In any case, carry on.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Reference Link: Dastahl's Response to the Romulan Faction Conundrum
    Romulans will be asked to choose sides in the war by the time they are level 10.
    So when we say that the alliance has an impact on end game, it is in reference to all of the level 40+ missions and end game content that exist for all factions.
    We are happy that many players appreciate our decision to have the Romulans join existing FED or KDF fleets at launch. We realize that not everyone understands or agrees with why we did this, but it is the best decision for Star Trek Online.

Reference Link: Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus
    Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.
    Dstahl: As has been our plan since we introduced the Featured series, these episodes will remain available to any faction, and thus are available to the new Romulan Republic faction.

Reference Link: Legacy of Romulus Site
    Play as a Romulan
    Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view.
    Start as any Faction
    Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

Okay, I see some major conundrums with what was said.

You said two different things.

*shakes my head*

Something is not right here.

According to Dstahl's original statement, the Romulan Faction was created 'from the ground up'. If I interpret his statement as it stands, I would think Dstahl is talking about an entirely new Romulan faction. After he made the first statement, Dstahl mentioned that 'everything except for certain levels' will be Romulan exclusive.

Once we hit level ten of the Romulan hierarchy, we are forced to ally ourselves with the Feds or Klingons.

If the player is forced to choose an ally at level ten, the individual's avatar will no longer belong to a Romulan faction. Instead of belonging to an exclusive Romulan faction, the player's avatar will become a Federation-Romulan or a KDF-Romulan.

Something is not right with these statements.

Are we going to get a full or partial Romulan faction?

Does the Romulan faction end at level ten; thus, the ally choice you make determines the avatar's faction?
  • Options
    molen#7916 molen Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Very wide of the mark.

You probably don't know this, but everyone you see with "empire veteran" or "Career officer" or the blue title has paid quite a bit.

So its time for you to rethink things.

I'm sorry "empire veteran" but you have chosen to pay for what is in the game now. I was talking about the Romulan expansion and for that you've paid nothing and you won't have to.
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There are definitely some things about this setup that confuse me.

1- Why did the Romulans have to pick a side? Why not make the Romulans a faction that can team freely with either side and queue with either side? Instead they have to permanently ally with one or the other.

2- In recent interviews the current PvP queues were going to be made faction-lesd to let PvPers join in mixed play freely to make queues move faster. Has this been pulled? If not, again the Romulans could have avoided allying themselves.

3- If they ever make territory control they could just add something on the backend to Romulan characters that locks them out of Territory PvP flipping. You help the Feds then you have to wait 24 hours before you can re-enter T-PvP as the KDF helper.

4- Does this mean no Fleet Romulan Disruptors? I know many fleets were going to merge with allies for the new Romulan faction since now they could plan and collect resources from the ground up for a Starbase...

5- What makes them a "Faction"? Technically all the caitians and Andorians need are a couple dozen race-specific missions and a few more ships in order to be a Faction by these standards. I think that is a big reason why so many are complaining. At the end of the day you belong to whatever faction that controls where you get and fix your ships. Be it ESD or Qo'nos. Especially given the build-up to the reveal and the apparently unintentional mis-representation of the Romulan "Faction" on the LoR page. Saying 1-50 as a member of the RR when in fact its 1-10 and you then pick a side and can keep playing RR missions but now you can get an Excelsior...

6- I almost feel like we need another Ask Cryptic just for follow up questions to that single answer.

I get why they did it in the scope of the game as it is today. I guess many were like me and expected the Romulans to change the game. To me both sides being accessible by a single Romulan makes sense. Neither faction would want to freely give the Romulans ships and their tech but both would want to let the Romulans help them or vice versa. Just like they currently do on New Romulus. I also wish Remans were unlocked for LTS since we dont get a Liberated Borg Romulan. This being another sign to me that even Cryptic doesnt consider these Romulans a "true or "complete" faction.

It feels like they just dont have a large enough playerbase to sustain 3 factions. That is probably the driving force behind this since in theory all thats misding to make them their own faction are fleets and starbases.

It ain't easy being green.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I gave up playing Champions Online a week ago.

It's just lockboxes and events now.
    There isn't actually a shred of decent content.
    Not even a new C-store costume unlock or new power frameworks!

So I put that game on hold until they actually pull their thumb out and do some genuine content updates.

As for Neverwinter, not going to play that.

Add to that an STO faction update I'm not even going to play and well, doesn't look good for Cryptic right now......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder if having to choose a side actually affects the outcome of the Romulan story once it concludes at level 40?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"