test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Don't know why, mikefl, but when you put it in RED it makes more sense to me.:rolleyes:
    Thank you.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi there,!
    I represent the majority of STO players and we fully endorse and approve of Cryptic's decision in this issue. All other opinions are invalid. G'day!

april fools is a couple of days away lol
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im sure this has been said before but at least to me it would not feel as bad as it does and be much more like a true own faction and a sneaky romulan one at that if romulans would be able to switch sides.
    Actually Im not sure it has been said that the side i'm choosing at lvl 10 is final.

If not romulans would feel much more like the sneaky TRIBBLE they are and it would be much more like what stahl said about them just using the kdf/feds to rebuild.

In the end they may have been weakend a lot with the loss of romulus and the story leading up to 2409 but in the end they are still strong enough to be a contender of power in the galaxy. What i mean is that when the romulans would finally choose one side in the fed/kdf war that side would gain a LOT of momentum and probably just win the war. So basically making the romulans use their position as the one that can easily tip the balance of the war and using this postion to get massive support from feds AND kdf would make totally sense to me at least.
    Just allow switching sides somehow, maybe as a projekt in the romulan reputation or something and make it expensive but have it in there and I guess a lot of people would feel much more romulan and much more like a true own faction and in the end be much happier with the whole situation.
    It would not conflict with any faction-queues stuff, not much more to implement just allowing some kind of switching sides. I'm sure this will bring up a lot of problems with ships being carried over from fed side to kdf side but well i would just leave it as being a nice special for the romulan "then truly worth the name" faction.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First off, yikes! I cannot believe I just read this whole thread in one sitting with no coffee!

Second, so much hate... not just at the announcement but at anyone who dares disagree with an opposing view. How is any of that helpful?
    That's kinda how forums work :D Especially STO's forums

A lot of people who are disappointed it wasn't exactly what they individually wanted, assumptions are running rampant and making posts based off them (including that they were misled in the first place ;) ), and a lot of the negativity is based off a select group of 10+ posters, not an actual majority of the forum posters...

Much less a majority of the game's total players, who don't come to the forums XD

Either way, the first few days on a forum after a big announcement isn't the best indicator of a mood. People will re-understand what they didn't before, make new opinions and stuff, and otherwise cool down... regardless of whether the ultimate opinion is good or bad. So don't mistake this thread blowing it out of proportion as the truth

And as a note for those reading this: your concerns are valid. Just tone down the hatred please, that's all: it doesn't help anyone
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

- PvP, which I never cared about
    - Starbases, on which I'm burned out already
    - PvE queues, which is good for waiting times

In short: A faction without all the annoying baggage.
    Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    themartian wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of the Romulans joining with either the Federation or the Empire. Firstly, it makes sense with where the Romulans are at in STO. This isn't set in one of the TV series after all. Not to mention the fact that allying with someone doesn't mean you give yourself wholeheartedly and I suspect the Romulans will have a blade pointed at their ally's back.

Secondly, it means I don't have to help another fleet grind out a starbase from scratch (which would mean neglecting my Fed and Klingon fleets).

I can understand why the idea of Romulans basically fighting each other in PvP makes little sense, but then the Federation-Klingon war never made any real sense to me anyway.

All in all, I'm looking forward to rolling my first Romulan alt.

It seems I am in the minority here, but as far as the story and the fleet starbases, this is how I feel.

However--what I DO care greatly about is the technical quality of the release. There are two things that I will be looking for, that will determine whether or not I am comfortable putting money back in this game, which I have not done this year so far.

1) Cryptic must show proper attention to Tribble tests--LISTENING to its player base about bugs, glitches, and other items that may cause serious disruption to the community. In other words, I expect a professional QA job, which we have not seen prior to this point.

2) Cryptic must bring balance to the in-game economy, or at least not mess things up any further.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.

GET THIS KLINGON BLOODWINE!!! and a life time coupon for free Tribble exterminating.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, if you put Romulan ships into the C-Store and they are an accound wide unlock like all the other c-store ships: Will all our Romulan characters, no-matter which side we chose (Rommi-A goes FED, Rommi-B goes KDF), be able to use them?
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry Cryptic, but that wasn't what I was expecting either... Expected an entire faction with all the hype...
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The less new grind content the better imo. Overall I'm happy w/the choice to postpone any new fleet grind. The one thing I'd like is the potential to later on allow all toons to become double agents and switch sides/alliances.

I think this would make a more interesting PvP dynamic w/Open PvP sector since potentionally this could lead stealing resources, tech, and sabatages. It would allow for a grey area instead of the black/white Fed vs KDF front, a Cabal w/in Cabals if you will. Long term locking players into alliances diminishes this potential.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Bring it on then!

Well said. I'm really looking forward to this now.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • bronzephantombronzephantom Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    A different way to look at it

By allying with the Federation and the Empire the STAR EMPIRE can gain a foothold in their space , access to their darkest secrets and possibly control of their fleets (the number of fleets I have seen left with only a few people is HUGE)
    The eventual dominance of the Romulans is a high probability

However I must suggest that we all (as a forum , group and species) Agree NOT to vape other Romulans in pvp

I agree Romulan captains should avoid at any cost to fire upon each other, The Star Empire will be greater then the federation and the klingons combined since we will know the flaws of fed/kdf ships and exploit that when we make our move.

with borg adaption technology we could adapt our cloaks to be undetectable to detection grids, We could have fleets at their core worlds without their knowing, attack and capture their core worlds while their fleets are away.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Despite a few diasspointments, I can honestly say I can't wait until May when this drops, especially having seens some screenies of the new character creator. That said, i'd love bit more clarification on the following items;

1.) Why haven't the Lifetime Rewards been sorted yet? There's like, a month or two until release, and you still don't know if you're goign to give 1000-day subscribers their veteran ship in Romulan form. What about the Android boff?

2.) The issue with the free character slot - why is there a question of how to "award" it? Surely it's as simple as "It's a free character slot, (Rom restricted, obviously) here you go, have fun." I don't see that we should have to jump through any more hoops just to play the game.

3.) Like others have said, can I unlock the Reman on my Fed or do I have to grind like a bar steward on my new Romulan char?

Finally, while I do admit that less grind = more fun, I sincerely hope Romulan Fleets and Starbases are seriously considered for future release. Because that would be just awesome, once people have gotten their Fed/KDF starbases to T5.

Additionally, will the Romulans get their own version of the MACO/Honour Guard?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • vividhvividh Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Bring it on then!

Well said - totally agree
    In game: @vividh
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder what the Rank 5 level Romulan ships are going to be.

Are they going to be the base 9 console models, with C-Store versions as Fleet-Equivalents?

I cannot imagine them releasing all the Romulan ships as fleet equivalent, as this would complete negate the SB system for the Romulans in the long run, as well as upsetting most of the folks who needed to fork out cash for their fleet ships.

If not then it kinds of defeats the entire point of a new faction.

If the only improved ships one can get ones hands on are the ships of the Fed or FED patrons, then seriously I'm mifted big time.

Why would I care to do that? I don't even desire the fleets ships as they are now? Why would I want to now grind a Romulan just to afford the privilege of flying around in a Negh'var because the Romulan ships are base c-store versions as I suspect they will be.

Please forgive the speculation on my part but this cloak-and-dagger routine is very confusing.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Because many customers have spent money to purchase exclusive ships and have spent countless hours of effort to build up starbases and fleet holdings. We are trying to be as open as possible with the Romulans to respect the investments that have been made in the game. That is why you are seeing people post "thank you for considering that" threads when it comes to Starbases. We haven't ruled out allowing Romulan Starbases in the future, but for now, we're limiting it to existing Fed or KDF faction holdings.

Playing as New Romulan means that you'll be playing a prequel storyline where we establish the Romulan Republic and all of the events that lead up to New Romulus and the Romulan Feature Episode Series. You'll have exclusive content all the way from start up through that point and if then choose to say "done". You will have had an experience just as valid as the Fed had at the launch of the game. If you want to then continue on with end game, then you'll have access to all of the Feature Episode series, Events, and Dailies that everyone else has - there's not much exclusive to anyone in that content.

But play it for yourself when it comes out, or play it on TRIBBLE. It is free. Make your own choice if you want to play a Romulan after you dig into it and see all that is there.

so what happens when u do release rommy starbase? does that mean the romuloan toon we lvled and picked a side is stuck in thet factions base or can we leave it join a full romulan base. or is it we have to roll a new toon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote:

Bring it on then!

Not just that - you're also getting:

D'deridex and warbirds orbiting ESD and Qo'noS
    Romulans and Remans running around Starfleet/KDF Academy
    Klingon and Federation banners every time you visit 'your' starbase
    Elite Fed Phasers and KDF Disruptors at end-game
    MACO/Honor Guard Armor for your Romulan
    Feds and KDF flying Romulan ships
    Romulans flying Fed and KDF ships and Bugs, Chel Grett etc.
    The same end-game grind, STFs and rewards as everyone else plus Tholian Rep
    Alien hybrids unnecessarily locked behind Gold/LTS subscriptions
    Playing a bunch of the same old Featured Episodes again to get from 40-50
    Grinding Nomulus again
    Having to finish T5 Rom Rep to get a Reman
    A ship full of KDF/Fed Doffs since you have to use factional Doff packs

Yes, you'll get some missions that will clumsily try to explain why you're now a stooge of the Federation or the Klingons and yes, you'll have a social zone and a range of ships and costumes exclusive to the Roms, what you won't have is any reason for Cryptic to give you any more than that once the initial rush of new players has died down.
    so what happens when u do release rommy starbase? does that mean the romuloan toon we lvled and picked a side is stuck in thet factions base or can we leave it join a full romulan base. or is it we have to roll a new toon?

It's never going to happen. Splitting the Roms off means making this a 3-faction game and if they don't have the resources or the time to do it now, they never will. Stahl's just doing what he always does - making vague assurances of considering what the players want when in fact he has no intention of the Romulans ever becoming an independent faction.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I don't mind these, I just beamed down from Sol where I was sat next to a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, a ship from the future and a Defiant with half a Borg cube hanging out of the deflector.
    And I won't even mention the strippers, I mean virtuous Starfleet officer's, sprinting around ESD.
    edited March 2013
    mwgacy1 wrote: »
    I don't mind these, I just beamed down from Sol where I was sat next to a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, a ship from the future and a Defiant with half a Borg cube hanging out of the deflector.
    And I won't even mention the strippers, I mean virtuous Starfleet officer's, sprinting around ESD.

It's just a further dilution of any notion of factions in this game - eventually Qo'noS and ESD will be one and the same - maybe some people want that, but I think anything that takes character and contrast away from the two factions is a loss for the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mwgacy1 wrote: »

I couldn't help but laugh, so true. :D
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Okay, okay, so we'll cloak our warbirds to not ruin the beautifull purple aestheics of the Jem'Hadar fleet guarding ESD. :P

Romulans & Remans?!?
    If I log on to ESD now, I can meet Santa Claus & Spiderman, you really think at this point Romulans & Remans would trouble me? :D

This post was just for lolz :);)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I really hope we don't get some romulan lockbox or romulan fleet ships for fed or kdf characters. I guess that's the "plan b" if not enough people start creating romulan characters. I wouldn't like seeing that happening though. People flying romulan ships is silly. Feds or kdf getting some new ships with romulan tech could be enough.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    The Romulan Republic storyline is a prequel to the events of the Romulan FE series and the establishment of New Romulus.

I think this is part of the problem, you're basically telling the story of a prequel before having finished the main story. This sort of story would be great to flesh out events but to do so at this point in STO's life, where we haven't had any progress in the game's main story in years can only result in players not caring very much from a narrative perspective.

The other BIG issue, and arguably the most important is that players wanting to play as Romulans don't want to play as "Romulan adventurers" working to rebuild their shattered government. They wanted to be part of the RSE, ideally one reunited and on the rise, ans set AFTER the events of the Romulan FE. So not only did they want it placed in the continuation of the story, they wanted to play as the traditional Romulan Military, extra points if they even got to be part of a de-Iconianized Tal-Shiar.

LoR sounds like letting players play as humans.... that aren't part of Starfleet. It'd be a fantastic option to play something like a Maquis or Freedom Fighter, but only with the Starfleet option already available.

I understand a full third faction is untenable, and many of us were wondering how it'd be done. We mostyl expected a mini faction that would require only the ocational upkeep, what you're delivering is not what people were wanting. We'll all play thanks to the lack of content, but I honestly do not see any long term viability unless its purely for the toys it has available to it, making it lacking any sort of fan following.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Well, they're allies. It's what you do.
    We had mixed fleets hanging around Fed Starbases during the Dominion war as well. No one cried about that.
    Klingon and Federation banners every time you visit 'your' starbase
    It's my friends' starbase not mine. What do I care how they decorate it?
    Elite Fed Phasers and KDF Disruptors at end-game
    There are Romulan Disruptors too, you know?
    MACO/Honor Guard Armor for your Romulan
    Disable Visuals
    Feds and KDF flying Romulan ships
    Didn't get that from the Blog.
    Romulans flying Fed and KDF ships and Bugs, Chel Grett etc.
    Not exactly an issue that would be new to the game. LoR is not to blame for that.
    The same end-game grind, STFs and rewards as everyone else plus Tholian Rep
    Yep, just like in any other MMO. Perfectly normal.
    Alien hybrids unnecessarily locked behind Gold/LTS subscriptions
    Payers have been demanding more benefits for ages, so cut Cryptic some slack, maybe?
    Playing a bunch of the same old Featured Episodes again to get from 40-50
    Comes with playing an alt.
    Grinding Nomulus again
    You don't have to.
    Having to finish T5 Rom Rep to get a Reman
    Only if you actually want one. Besides, there never was a whole lot of racial variety in the Romulan Empire in the first place.
    A ship full of KDF/Fed Doffs since you have to use factional Doff packs
    There are Romulan, Reman and Hirogen Doffs already ingame. I'm sure there will be more.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    You must not play KDF.
    Wrong, I have three KDF characters. and I don't mind the "lack" of content as it is now. Don't assume that some people don't play one faction or not. As I said earlier in this thread, I am excited for the May update, "flaws" and all.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited March 2013
    Snip...

Thing is, once all the Romulan content has been done, what's a Romulan player left with?

A Kumari or an Excelsior, a crew full of Federation Boffs and Doffs, a blue starbase hung with Fed banners and fighting KDF (and Roms) in PvP or siding with them in Cure space.

Oh, and a social zone and some costumes.

And then any future content added will be faction-agnostic.

So really - what's the point in playing a Romulan?

Other than marketing of course - which is the real and only point of this exercise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thing is, once all the Romulan content has been done, what's a Romulan player left with?

A Kumari or an Excelsior, a crew full of Federation Boffs and Doffs, a blue starbase hung with Fed banners and fighting KDF (and Roms) in PvP or siding with them in Cure space.

Oh, and a social zone and some costumes.

And then any future content added will be faction-agnostic.

So really - what's the point in playing a Romulan?

Other than marketing of course - which is the real and only point of this exercise.

Agreed it would of been better to offer the Romulan race in the c-store and their ships in lock boxes, they would of made a lot more money. This whole "faction"is a joke. All this effort and hard work could of went towards expanding federation gameplay and maybe give the KDF players a little something.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    few very factual questions for DStahl:

- couple of my Romulan-die-hard-fans friends and me planned on a Romulan fleet. This is not happening now as there is no sense = no starbases, no DOFF's. We are looking forward to the time you will have the resources to provide these systems.
    In the meantime we decided to join another fleet with our future Romulan toons and help out a little.

#1 question: if our Romulan toons have different allegiances, will we still be able to play the end-game content (factional fleet actions) together, or will we be have to queue up for the faction we are allied with - separately?

#1.1 question: haven't you considered yet to make these fleet actions queues CROSS FACTIONal? It would be just an issue of renaming the KDF/FED enemies to "rebels", or eliminating these 2 enemy types altogether (we do have enough other species)

#3 question: i would really like to hear more about that faction-exclusive social hub we are getting.

#4 question: will there be a Romulan exclusive foundry where Romulans/Remans of BOTH ALLEGIANCES can join a mission together?

#5 question: when the time comes and there finally be the systems described on the top available to Romulans, what will happen with the allied toons? Will they get a mini-mission to "defect" and rejoin "Romulan Republic" or however you will call it?

Will they be able to keep the FED/KDF ships and DOFF's? Or only the ones they are using and which they have in the inventory?

#6 are you revamping the accolades UI? will there be Romulan only accolades?

#7 from what i understood you are NOT giving Romulans fleet ships, as there are no fleets. Did i understood this right? (think it is actually a good decision, cause it points to Romulan fleet holdings to be released soon, as in 2013)

#8 when will we get some infos on the upcoming ships?

#9 are Suliban planned to be the next playable race available to Romulans?

#10 will there be a Romulan TOS pack featuring NO V-shaped ridge above the bridge of their nose, also seen in the new JJ film?

Also, i would like to make a proposal. Why don't you just create a generic green Starbase/Embassy map, where you can only switch textures and NPC'S for every in the future incoming faction?

Also, with Romulans being the 3rd biggest faction in Star Trek, i think you should stop here, and every other faction is OK having to join any of the 3 existing factions, or a "4th faction", which would get the "generic" fleet holding map with a texture of their choosing (you can charge big Dillithium for this).
    This 4th faction would be an united pool for all upcoming "factions".
    They could use ANY DOFF packs, and would also have access to all DOFF assignments.
    Every new faction should keep the exclusivity to their ships, so that you have to lvl a toon to get a ship.

QUEUE problems. Now i see how a cross faction PVP and PVE is necessary in these times.
    Please, make it a reality soon. for EVERY fleet action. I haven't been able to join Big Dig, or Breaking The Planet AT ALL on my KDF toon, while my son plays it twice an afternoon on his fed captain.

Also, thank you for giving us the opportunity to finally play as Romulan, even if, franky, i will try to get rid of D'Tan in a very unpleasant way every time i meet him on New Romulus. (and you should add the emote "it's a FAAAAKE")

Jolan'Tru
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Silly? If the Romulan Republic was a faction without starbases, that'd be one thing.
    They're not a faction *at all*, they're split between the two existing factions, working for them. That they have race-exclusive ships and a race-exclusive story arc is meaningless, it just makes them a fancier version of playable Federation Klingons.

This statement just blows my mind. About a year ago the forums were screaming and chanting "Content Content Content" and you just called and entire faction's worth of content meaningless.....
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This statement just blows my mind. About a year ago the forums were screaming and chanting "Content Content Content" and you just called and entire faction's worth of content meaningless.....

Also apparently having a starbase means you're a faction....guess Season 6 made the FED a full faction.

Looks like the RR got the best deal that both the KDF, and FED don't have

FEDs always positing how they want KDF ships, because they want the battle cloak...well RR got that over the FEDs... KDF ship access and their own ships.

KDF wanted story to get them to end game content which has always been the same for both factions. KDF just got cut in half at 20 to get them there.....RR get their own from 1-40 then get to start on the FE and the end game from 40-50 just like FED.

the RR just don't get the sinks that both factions keep complaining about.

I don't care what anyone says the RR pretty much got what the other factions have been begging for 3 years.

Cryptic has manipulated the circumstances with the skill of a Romulan.:D
    GwaoHAD.png