What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    We WANT to play Romulans.
    We just don't want to play watered down I Can't Believe It's Not Romulans that go running to the cover of other factions at the first sign of trouble.
    Then don't play the Romulan expansion if that's how you feel. Frankly, it amazes me how you seem to have nothing better to do than to whine about something that may not be as bad as you claim it to be.

If that were true, then why is the decision to join a faction "permanent"?
    Where in the information that has been provide does it state that you join the faction of your ally?

And if I play it and still have these criticisms? What then? You can't use that defence forever.
    It is not my fault that I and many like me have not liked anything we've heard at all.

The fact is, we feel disappointed, and we feel mislead. Whatever comes of this we've already had many of our thoughts and ambitions for the Romulan faction squashed, and we have a right to be upset.
    That's fine, if you want to still make criticisms, but make sure that they're constructive and not filled with biased hatred of a decision that you may not agree is the best decision.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    vinsinar wrote: »
    Please stop using WE and try using I. You do not speak for me or for most people that play STO. Unless you were elected as some STO forum spokesperson that no one knows about.

well they do for me :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    SNIP

Dan, the problem is that you did not even attempt to get input from your playerbase on this! When you were getting ready to start on the faction, you should have started a poll or survey to see what the community wanted, and you didn't! Instead, you went with this cutting corners alternative straight out of World of War Craft. You basically made the Romulans into Pandaren. When the teaser page went up, it indicates that you would have a full 1-50 roulan, and there is no information that states you would pick a side to go with. THAT is why the community is up in arms about this.

I honestly hope you dont do this with the next faction, or STO may just die. It may not even recover from a blunder this big.

EDIT: Had to make it 2 words, apparently its a banned word here.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    So is The Gates of Gre'thor, ever done it with a non-Klingon? its so ... ridiculous because its made FROM the Klingons point of view, doesnt work if ANYONE, be it the players character or the bridge officers is a not Klingon because they are VERY out of character.

This is how us KDF players feel when playing the FE's, they aren't Klingon but Federation missions.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    This doesnt work when the missions are not reflecting what FACTION you are, this is a long standing complain from KDF players they get Fed missions refurnished when its FE and those actually TRY to be Faction Neutral.

Romulan Missions should NOT be Faction Neutral and so they will stick out as "YOU DONT BELONG HERE" if you are not a Romulan.

Romulan missions should not be faction neutral? Don't you mean all factions missions should not be faction neutral? This is a long standing problem with the KDF faction, as stated yourself.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    whats red and green and goes realy fast?
    would that be a frog in a liquidiser.

glad to see you will be giving a free space for the romulan character to live in, thank you very much for that it is greatfully appreciated.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If I were in dans posisition there would be alot of mysterious account deletions.
    Just saying.

Maybe some people should be happy with what they have and stop complaining about things they don't have, or things they think they don't have.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • pete2931pete2931 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    From what I've read of this I think some people may be misunderstanding the faction choice bit. The Romulans will have level 1-50 of story. It's just that you will play most of it as an ally of the fed or Klingons. This affects only pvp and fleet missions. It also means that as a Romulan you can get access to Klingon or federation gear as well. This is how I read the Q&A.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You might want to practice what you preach, and not mislead us with teasers and countdowns that directly led people to assume things that apparently you did not intend.

On the site it states:
    Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

^^^
    Does it say "Play as a member of the Tal Shiar and the Pomulan Star Empire" anywhere on the site? If so, show me the text.

Also, DSthl and others have been talking about having a Romulan player start out with Romulan focused missions, and then at some point allying with either the KDF or Fed faction for MONTHS in interviews and threads on this very BBS.

As far as what the countdown 'implied' - near the end most thought is was a build up to the announcement to a Romulan Featured episode series - the fact they were adding playable Romulans was thought an outside chance at best - but still after the 'reveal' the text on the LoR website regarding what type of Romulan you play was what I've posted above.

About the ONLY thing that might have been 'implied' was that you'd get a Romulan Starbase system <--- trhat may be the extent of any misleading inferences. They also didn't wait all that long to clarify things as the Ask Cryptic was put up soon after the reveal; questions submitted, and the answers posted today with further clarifications on this BBS.

If they're trying to wifully mislead people; they're doing a pretty TRIBBLE-poor job of it.

Again, I'm not saying you don't have cause to be upset or angry because it's not what you personally thought it would be - but if you look at the statements being made in the press, and on this site leading up to the LoR site reveal; they pretty much stuck to what they said the implementation of the Romulan faction in STO would be if/when they put it in. They haven't mislead anyone who was following the discussion from various sources.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If I were in dans posisition there would be alot of mysterious account deletions.
    Just saying.

Maybe some people should be happy with what they have and stop complaining about things they don't have, or things they think they don't have.

The legacy of Romulis webpage had no mention of Romulan players having to join the Feds or Klingons. I made a thread the day the news hit about who was going to join the Green faction and it got a lot of response by people exicted for it. No Green faction means a lot of unhappy people who will whine. It will be much worse in may and the UI wont be a hit with a lot of people either all though I like it my self.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    did anyone notice how dstahl said the story would be carried on for the romulans in future featured episodes? I did. you know what that implies? that there is no intent to expand on the romulan story after the initial release.

I'm not impressed with any of it so far
    Stahl said earlier that the game's technology "doesn't allow" for new factions to be implemented any other way.

Assuming that's true, it's funny how this apparent fact has never once come up any other time he's been questioned on the possibility of new factions, or indeed when the Romulan "faction" was announced.

indeed. though a second question would be 'if this was actually true, how come both the feds and kdf are able to be separate factions?'
    Even more incredulous because apparently the faction can work just fine and dandy independent up until level 10. My opinion is that Stahl is lying on this issue to deflect criticism. Only way it can be done, yeah. Right.

indeed
    3 distinct factions would have required a lot more work than Cryptic is capable of undertaking

then the answer is simple: don't do it at all. if you can't do something right don't do it at all. better to allocate those resources to improving what already exists than doing something half assed
    Oh, don't pull the generalization card out now, that's a flat-out total lie you just spouted. I wasn't mislead by Cryptic in ANY way at all. It's only those like you and linwei that feel mislead. So generalizing it to mean that everyone was mislead is completely false, and you know it.

except that misleading is exactly what they did. and its not the first time its happened. we have been both misled and flat out lied to in the past. if you are claiming otherwise than it is you who are lying. interesting how you single them out and belittle them to try to discredit anything they have said. this is not an opinion, its an established fact. want an example? how about the 'the kdf were always intended to be a pvp only faction....' line were fed, until flat out showing the dev proof that this was not true. thats just one example.
    See this is why devs don't like posting on the forums almost every time they do it they get attacked.

blaming everyone but the people who created the misleading information to begin with isn't a good thing. the very fact that this thread has exploded should be a major red flag as to what they have done with the 'faction'
    Why not just be honest from the get go and say you were making playable romulans with romulan ships for fed and kdf? People would have been excited about that.

Nobody likes being mislead.

It's not the hard working developers fault that it's going down like this, it's the people who decided not to be honest about its fault.

People like romulans and like romulans ships and have wanted to fly them for a long time, but again, nobody likes being sold a bill of goods. Whoever the PR people are that put the announcements and promotional materials together are the ones who deserve the blame, and they're the ones who hamstrung the hard working developers with their shenanigans.

What did they think would happen when the truth came out?

this.
    Listen never ever say that you think most people feel one way or another on something without solid proof

the same could be said of not saying they don't feel that way either
    which I believe that most people don't give a cra one way or the other for romulan empire or romulan republic

you immediately contradicted yourself you know
    But however its highly likely that most people just play the game to have fun and don't care as long as they can use romulans.

many people pay considerable money on this game. yes, they do care. customers always care
    Just saying.

in other words you would try to shut people up with threats and intimidation tactics instead of addressing WHY there is such an outrage going on? gee that won't come back on you at all
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Upon further pondering about it I can imagine this fraction joining as a good OPTIONAL way for some individual captains while most other just stays friendly-neutral to bouth fed & kdf & doing their own romulan thing.

But as it is now its... curses, its like these new romulans are the new galactic woman of ill repute for the kdf & fed in this pvp excuse of a war in which they are dragged into to fight each other.

Romulan Captains. Killing each other. In the name of the Klingon Empire or in the name of the Federation. I'm not a hardcore trekker, but thats even too much for my stomach.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    ntirely possible that there would be again North and South states, one helped by China, the other by Russia.

This is an apt enough analogy , except in our case , this is the equivalent of the center of the US getting nuked , so the West coast joins Russia while the East coast joins Canada .

Sure they would call it an 'alliance' , but no one is so naive as to believe that to be true .

I guess we have a president in STO -- the Gorn , Lethians , Orions have all "joined" the KFD and became nothing more then foot soldiers with next to zero identity of their own .

Think that having Denise Crosby will give the Rommy's 'identity' ?
    With a competent writing team I might think so .
    With Cryptic , she will only serve as a semi-official stamp to their mutilation of the Romulan people .

Cryptic took the Romulan isolationist view point of "we want NONE of you" to a 180 degree turn and now the Romulans "want" to be either KDF or Fed .

And the fans are cheering ... as everything that was unique and different about the Romulans get's wiped away ... because 'this is just a game' .

No Romulan pride left ... , just bad fan fiction ... and pretty ships to pew-pew in ... most of the same content you pew-pew'd twice before .
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulan Captains. Killing each other. In the name of the Klingon Empire or in the name of the Federation. I'm not a hardcore trekker, but thats even too much for my stomach.

That's pretty much how I feel. I was fine with the Romulan Republic angle. I was fine with working to overthrow the Imperial government. But this? I was expecting disappointing news eventually, but I figured it would be something about the Z-store. This... this is worse than I expected. When they said "Romulan faction", I was expecting a Romulan faction.
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Im very surprised we do not have the Federation and Klingon fleets complaining like mad about being forced to accept Romulans

Oh haven't you heard the cheering ?
    ESD & Quonos full of Romulans !!!

What could be better then that ??? :rolleyes:
    (notice my stomach is turning as I type this post)
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

But as it is now its... curses, its like these new romulans are the new galactic woman of ill repute for the kdf & fed in this pvp excuse of a war in which they are dragged into to fight each other.

I thought that slot was taken up by Orions. :P
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I actually like the idea of the Romulans joining with either the Federation or the Empire. Firstly, it makes sense with where the Romulans are at in STO. This isn't set in one of the TV series after all. Not to mention the fact that allying with someone doesn't mean you give yourself wholeheartedly and I suspect the Romulans will have a blade pointed at their ally's back.

Secondly, it means I don't have to help another fleet grind out a starbase from scratch (which would mean neglecting my Fed and Klingon fleets).

I can understand why the idea of Romulans basically fighting each other in PvP makes little sense, but then the Federation-Klingon war never made any real sense to me anyway.

All in all, I'm looking forward to rolling my first Romulan alt.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This update is a fail. Stop releasing BS and give us actual endgame content and pvp!!
    edited March 2013
    the Tal'Shiar should not even be the bad guys here, they are heroes to the RSE for trying to kill him [except they aren't trying to kill him, they are trying to control him, which is also kind of weird].

D'Tan faction is a mistake. I was hoping they would find a way out from under it.

But see ... controling D'Tan wold mean controlling (or at least manipulating) D'Tan's influence over the Remans , the Feds and the KDF .

You don't have to sit on the throne ... just control the puppet who does and thus have all of his supposed power & influence .

Yes , I have to agree that the Tal'Shiar would have been the real heroes of the Romulan people if ... IF ... they themselves were not the puppets of the Iconians .

Hey but on the bright side , the Dominion and the Borg will be joining the Feds/Kdf soon(TM) ... .
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    themartian wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of the Romulans joining with either the Federation or the Empire. Firstly, it makes sense with where the Romulans are at in STO. This isn't set in one of the TV series after all. Not to mention the fact that allying with someone doesn't mean you give yourself wholeheartedly and I suspect the Romulans will have a blade pointed at their ally's back.

Secondly, it means I don't have to help another fleet grind out a starbase from scratch (which would mean neglecting my Fed and Klingon fleets).

I can understand why the idea of Romulans basically fighting each other in PvP makes little sense, but then the Federation-Klingon war never made any real sense to me anyway.

All in all, I'm looking forward to rolling my first Romulan alt.

This is our point of view , a lot of us wanted to make a Romulan characters in a independent faction , the fleet I joined was willing to start over again on Romulan starbases. Its now a faction for Alt players. We cant have a idenity of our own when we split up between two factions the Romulans have always hated and killing each in pvp matches.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Liberated Borg are a must! They clearly exist, and even though the most prominent one was a Tal'Shiar agent, they're not all like that.....

And what about Hirogen? They're allied with Sela, why not them?

Congratulations Cryptic on being so predictable.

I've seen notes on STOwiki about the Hirogen being removed from Romulan Faction, but didn't believe it until now!

At least 5-6 players (counting myself) asked the question in the relevant Ask Cryptic if we'd be playing Hirogen.

The fact that you have refused to acknowledge this query says it all.

Couple that with the fact that you only get Romulan, Reman and AlienGen, that pretty much ends the chance of being a Hirogen Captain right at the beginning of the faction.

To be clear, you've just taken away the one reason I was willing to play the Romulan faction.
    I told you I wasn't going to play the faction as a Romulan, Reman or Custom Alien.

And no captain=no money spent on c-store for keys (for lobi store, nothing else!) and unlocks.

So in conclusion, this faction means nothing to me now.
    All I'll be doing is working on Tholian/Nukara Reputation on my existing captains and when that is done, I'll be back to doing nothing significant at all.

Call me when the next faction comes out, with Liberated Borg Cardassian as an species option.
    And I'd better get to play as that! :mad:

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Stahl said earlier that the game's technology "doesn't allow" for new factions to be implemented any other way.
    Whoever said that is talking TRIBBLE.

Fact #1 ~ We're getting half of a 3rd faction in May

Fact #2 ~ A games coding can be changed to implement desired changes; it isn't that such couldn't be possible, it's that it would require more time, effort and cost than they're willing to do. Cryptic have the STO source code, they can do with that what they want, and changes are do-able

Fact #3 ~ When Cryptic give you a FACT, you take it with a pinch of salt
    tilarta wrote: »
    Call me when the next faction comes out, with Liberated Borg Cardassian as an species option.
    Heh, a Cardassian Faction you say? If we count the Romulan Faction as 0.5 of a faction, the Cardassians can be the same, thus come the release of the Cardassians (which will be implemented in the same stupid way) we'll actually have three factions worth of content through (what would be) two factions, as you can bet Cardassian players would need to 'join the Federation or Klingon'. Pathetic.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Fact #1 ~ We're getting half of a 3rd faction in May

More like 3/4 of a faction. They've got their own 1-50 progression of story missions, affected in flavor only by the choice of faction to infiltrate; their own ships; their own races (lol three races, but still); and at least a few of their own DOffs. They have all the same endgame content as the Feds and KDF, who also don't have truly exclusive endgame content, which would put them on even footing with the Romulans in that regard.

What's missing is independent Fleet content, an exclusive stable of DOffs both random and premade, and their own iteration of the Omega Force Rep. Some additional things, like a timeship and some Vet rewards are also missing, but those aren't really critical to being a complete faction.

Calling the Romulans an incomplete faction is accurate, but saying they're only half a faction is understating how much they will have.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My only question would be, if they make Romulan Cruiser (D'Deridex for example) just as lame and boring as Starfleet Cruisers.
    But seriously, i don't have to ask anyway, since they will be availlable to Federation side somehow, lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If he is not wrong then he should answer the question.
    If he refuses to answer, then I can only assume he's wrong and he knows it.
    You're welcome.

Funny I was just about to post that info myself but you beat me to it. ;)

It has been mentioned a couple of times this joining the fed and kdf, just like its been talked about as a stand alone faction. I think it's an interview with priority one your looking for. But that said. If everything was written in stone in that interview then he's adding a Borg faction as well. Since they was mention when he talked about future factions added to the game. So if foolish concept 1 can sneak its way into the game nothing can now write off foolish idea 2 and 3 and so on
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I guess that Feds will finally get their battle cloak now.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    God, do I love these forums.

People ask why I still hang around after 3 years, even though I don't play the game.

Well a sample of quotes from people who mainly in the "Faith in Cryptic" thread and now this,are the reason why.

People flip flop from loving to hating to hating to loving, with still the staunch defenders backup up Cryptic no matter what they do!

Cryptic build up your hopes and then as usual dash them when they reveal the whole truth (that's Cryptic truth btw).

Whatever you do people, please still post;)

"Bingo!

Now don't all you Nay-sayers feel kinda silly... ??"

"Cryptic you outdid yourselves this time!!! Impressive! Finished Klingons and a Romulan faction... amazing!"

"For years we've all had our doubts that Cryptic could pull it together and make this game a true Trek experience. We've sat through content drouths that lasted nearly years. Klingons have had to suffer with half a faction since launch. We've seen difficulties with stability and bugs, some of which have been persistent.

However, today, we see Cryptic's best hand yet, and the single largest change to Star Trek Online since its launch in February of 2010.

The question here, to the community, is simple. With the announcement of the new Romulan faction and a far more expanded(possibly finished) Klingon faction, and the myriad of other new additions, has your faith in Cryptic as a company been restored? strengthened? or were you one of the hopefuls that never lost it."

"We don't even know to what extent it really is a "faction."

"If, in the end, it is two complete factions, I think Cryptic will get a reputation boost by the majority of it's playerbase; but time will tell."

"ve had about enough of this TRIBBLE stop with this nonsense of "turning it around" since going F2p they have turned it around the roi for them is high and as far as PW is concerned this game is a cash cow for them now and to be honest (flame me if you want) no matter what they do YOU will stil be here because you love startrek plain and simple and im not talking fair weather fans but the hardcore fans YOU will stay and YOU will like it no matter what they do and they know that and I know that so im happy with all the lockboxes and such and the ways they come up with to make money because if they don't then this thing gets shut down and they are doing well right now so turning it around has already been done as far as making money ....and never forget yourself sir MONEY is what its all about"

"My credit card is standing by for the first sign of a sale for Lifetime subs."

And my favourite from the one person says they never complain about what Cryptic does and has so far not commented on this thread, but I know they don't want to be a mini faction...

"Is my faith in Cryptic back? My belief in Cryptic has never left.

I've been a lifer since the first day they were offered back in Open Beta. I purchased almost every game box release offered. I've purchased almost every single item from the C-Store and most items on the Lobi store. I own at least 1 copy of every lockbox ship. I think I have around 18 character slots unlocked. Several of my characters have multiple ship slots and multiple BOff slots unlocked. Couple of my characters have max DOFF slots unlocked. I have 14 characters with 10 at level 50 (7 VA/3 LG). 1 max crafter. All of my Fed characters are in a single-player fleet with an almost T2 SB and working on T1 embassy. I've experienced almost all of the missions available in STO however I don't PvP and don't care to experience the STFs.

I've seen the term "whale" applied for the type of customer I've been of Cryptics STO, and most likely my expenditures over the years put me at the "blue whale" level (being the largest of the terran whales).

I accept STO for the amusement park MMO that it is and never expect it to become something that it isn't or can never be. I've enjoyed the entertainment I've experienced with Cryptic's offering of their vision and version of the ST IP and feel that I've received more than an adequate return on my investment in my entertainment.

And now I'm going to finally be able to play a Romulan character in a Romulan faction and fly Romulan ships in space after waiting 3 years.

My belief in the company never left and I am glad to see that once again it was well-placed. And once again, my purchase of an LTS way back before release has proven to have been a majorly wise decision on my part."

Oh I love these forums...:D
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OK, 40+ more pages after taking an 8h sleep... Sorry, but catching up on that many posts would take me all day, so if I say something that's already been said I apologize...

The way I understood it the Romulans will get (besides of the featured episodes, which always have been cross-faction, but more about those later) their very own level 1-50 "flavour". How this will play out is something we don't know yet BUT it was clearly stated that you won't be able to be doing e.g the Fek'lhr missions just because you decide to ally your Romulan Captain with the KDF (It was only said that you could help a KDF teammate with HIS/HER mission).

And please, people, try to remember where the people of New Romulus are standing right now: No real military, no intelligence agency, only a bunch of civilians who most likely aquired any ship (which will most likely explain the TOS BoP as the starting vessel) they could get a hold on to leave barren colonies like the Hfihar mining colony which are unable to support themselves, with only the survivors of Obisek's group of rebels and maybe a few disillusioned defectors from the Imperial Navy having any battle experience.

They go and colonize a planet that's slowly recovering from a cataclysmic holocaust... a planet noone else wanted back then. And while surveying the planet they stumble over a damaged but repairable Iconian gateway... making their new homeworld a strategic important place to almost any power in the known galaxy. Without any allies they would lose their new home AGAIN, and every Romulan will be aware of that. If they want to hold this world as their own their is no way around making an ally.

I don't have any problems with choosing an ally as a Romulan, it's only logical, and I'm grateful that I as a player can make the decission with whom I want to ally my new home.

Now, with that out of the way, I DO see some problems with the way this is implemented though:

1) Romulans need a social zone for just themselves.

After all Romulans ARE xenophobic. The way things are discribed right now though they have to share their homeworld with both Feds and KDF or are only guests on ESD or Qo'noS. Simple solution though: Make the city on New Romulus accesible to Romulans only. After all, every faction deserves a little places for themselves.

2) Any upcoming Romulan fleets/starbase system is made to fail.

What will happen once a Romulan fleets/starbase system IS put into place? Will all Romulan players will be forced to leave the Fed/KDF fleet they joined and have to join a Romulan fleet now, starting at zero?

The last question that remains though: Is the Romulan Republic a true faction or just a subfaction? From what I read so far I would tend to lean to the former, and I can't wait to get my hands on a warbird ;)
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    I have to do the exact same thing. when I tell them they have to join fed or kdf I doubt they will bother logging in. they will say sorry wazza we'll stick with TOR because that sounds a bit rubbish. i'm sure they will use different words but I don't want to get my post deleted lol

Me, I'm still coming back from TOR. Not everybody cares if it's a FULLY independent faction, they just want new content! :D*starts acting like tacofangs* And all the new ships, races, and other stuff that comes with the faction.

By the way, this reminds me... will we ever be able to invite people from other factions to our starbases? Like we can with our ships? :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Anyone who wants a 3rd queue faction hasn't played a Klingon. As I said before, that isn't good for the game. We allow cross faction teaming because it allows more people to play together. "

agreed, but i think what people really want are 3 way PVP Maps, just because it would be crazy pew pew fun. And it can't be that hard to make a few recycled PvP Maps with 3 Spawnpoints now, can it?

PvP isn't getting any better by not doing anything for it either, and in a game like STO with constant Power Creep, be it from new Reputation Systems or C-Store consoles or whatever, there will just never be that sweetspot where the balance is perfect enough to be happy about it.
    There is always a power to tweak or fix.
    The Balancing of powers is not improving PvP, that is maintaining the playability of what is there already.
    Unless PvP gets some new Modes / Maps it will be stuck where it is stuck for 3 Years now.

Gozer wanted to make the PvP Queue into one queue, no more Fed vs KDF but just Player vs. Player.

For the open queue that is just fine.

If we want to play faction themed PVP, then we can do so in Private Queues just fine, heck we play DOMINION vs. FED PvP already in Jupiter Force and those are LockBox Ships!!!
    We can easily do KDF vs Rom or FED vs ROM once we get there.

But we will not be able to play Rom VS Fed VS Kdf in one map, because there are just no 3 Team Maps... yet.

And we the players WANTED the Romulan Faction to bring some new Spice to PvP, more so than just a few new Ships to shoot at.

We also WANTED Romulans to add some new spice to DOffing too, new Chains / Assignments / and proper Romulan DOffs too (Romulans are Xenophobic, i just don't see a lot of Klingons, Dosi and Karemma DOffs serving on a Warbird).

A Romulan Fleetstarbase Sink... i think we can all agree that we do not want a THIRD Super Sink until we are done with the FED and KDF Bases... and until the Small Fleets are happy how they get along.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't like be told I can't read by naive fanboys. So I have every intention of responding 50pages later ;)
    It seems to me that some of you are failing to read what was said by DStahtl...

Not in the least, Romulans have their own storyline for the first 40 levels and then borrow their end game content from other factions. It means a couple of things. One Feds will all roll romulans so they can play with cloaks AND still use Federation ships from their old starbases on their new Romulan characters. It also means Romulans are lacking end game content of their own and that Cyptic doesn't have doffs, lockbox ships, or Starbases for them. Probably not enough c-store ships to boot. However, all of those things are what makes Cryptic most of their money. DStahtl doesn have to to say we did this to make money and programming lives easier, but feel free to read between the lines.

all the while remaining their own independent faction.

That's what he said about the Romulans when they make their decision, they'll still be their own faction, but they'll be allied with either the Federation or the KDF. How difficult is it to understand that?

You must not play KDF. If you did you know the track record of half assing the faction. Almost all of the KDF level 25 missions and up are Federation missions with KDF logo stitched on. The end game content is entirely the same. Yet we are considered a faction :rolleyes: I for one play PvP at endgame after a character reaches 50. Otherwise I'd blow my brains out from chasing bunnies and doing the same 3 STF's over and over again. And that about to be romulan vs. romulan. Kind of like its Domion vs. Dominion now.

If it was temporary, and they said they need more time to fully flesh out the end game fro the faction I would have been ok with it. But reserving the option and working to finish are not the same and they clearly said reserve the option. This is the intended end game for Romulans. Peace on New Romulus, Kow Tow to races they hate and Civil War outside of New Romulus. :confused: