What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

March Beneath the Raptor's Wings.

Comments

• Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The name of the season 8 really perked my interest. What a cool name, I though. Maybe Cryptic is upping their game with some really cool, well written and compelling content?. Nope. Then it struck me where I has seen that name before.
    They took the name from a Star Trek Enterprise book. http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Romulan-Beneath/dp/145160582X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359602569&sr=1-1&keywords=beneath+the+raptor%27s+wing

Facepalm ! C?mon Cryptic, you can?t even come up with an original name for the next season?!?
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or it could be a reference to it? Holy super critical with absolutely ZERO idea or knowledge of what they are planning or what the writing will be like...
    edited January 2013
    Or it could be a reference to it? Holy super critical with absolutely ZERO idea or knowledge of what they are planning or what the writing will be like...

"ZERO idea" is a pretty silly statement. The picture is Romulan; that is a fact not a guess. The phrase "march beneath the raptor's wings", with the raptor being the Romulan figurehead, implies allegiance to the Romulans. Fed and KDF captains allegiance is to their respective factions, not the Romulans. So while we do not know exactly what they are planning, saying we have "ZERO idea" is just wrong.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At this point I'm not even going to bother apologizing for what I'm about to say about the KDF faction, because really what's the point. The KDF have been so overused in ST that they have become like the Borg in STO, forgettable and boring.

That's not to say that there are KDF fans and players out there, but really this whole "build it and they will come" philosophy that KDF players are clinging to is really getting dusty. KDF interest has long since peaked and people finally need to come to grips with the fact there just really aren't that many interested, and again I personally think alot of this is because the KDF are so overused and hence have become boring.

Romulans apart from the whole reunification saga still have been largely untapped as a whole. Nemesis and other bits of ST have given us hints of the inter-workings of the Romulan Government, but the overall culture still remains largely a mystery. The fact there is so much that can be done with the Romulans that really hasn't been seen before (and the fact the ships look cool as hell), of course there is going to be a huge amount of interest in a RSE faction. A Romulan faction and the KDF faction have absolutely nothing to do with each other and just because one has become a developmental and financial failure doesn't mean the other will be.

I think what most KDF players are forgetting is that the KDF and the UFP have/had been allies for so long, where as the KDF and RSE have been mortal enemies for so long that having a RSE faction, and the subsequent RSE VS KDF has the possibility to actually increase interest in the KDF.

Personally, if they add the RSE as a faction and have just enough DEV content to last until the foundry starts filling up with some good RSE story content I'd be more than happy and would probably for the more part ditch my FED for RSE in 2.2 secs.

A RSE faction may infact spark a rebirth for the KDF faction so to all the KDF out there don't come down on the idea of a RSE faction too hard.

Oh and just for the record.....

WARRIORS DO NOT WHINE, ONLY COWARDS WHINE!!!
    WHERE'S YOUR HONOR??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jengoz wrote: »
    The name of the season 8 really perked my interest. What a cool name, I though. Maybe Cryptic is upping their game with some really cool, well written and compelling content?. Nope. Then it struck me where I has seen that name before.
    They took the name from a Star Trek Enterprise book. http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Romulan-Beneath/dp/145160582X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359602569&sr=1-1&keywords=beneath+the+raptor%27s+wing

Facepalm ! C?mon Cryptic, you can?t even come up with an original name for the next season?!?

We don't know if that's the name of next season, and I pretty sure they picked that phrase because some Trek fans would know what it means.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Jengoz... that book took the name from a line of dialogue in Enterprise. To go and fault STO for a lack of originality and hold up, of all things, the Trek novels as a shining beacon of independent thought is, if I had to put a label on it, comically misguided.

I don't know where that page came from. Did someone dig it up, or did it get leaked on purpose? Was tomorrow's one-off FE going to hint this way anyway? Only one thing is certain. If it's not a Romulan faction, after this thread, there's disaster movie panic levels inside Cryptic Studios. (Luckily, the roof's not that far off the ground.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Jengoz... that book took the name from a line of dialogue in Enterprise. To go and fault STO for a lack of originality and hold up, of all things, the Trek novels as a shining beacon of independent thought is, if I had to put a label on it, comically misguided.

I don't know where that page came from. Did someone dig it up, or did it get leaked on purpose? Was tomorrow's one-off FE going to hint this way anyway? Only one thing is certain. If it's not a Romulan faction, after this thread, there's disaster movie panic levels inside Cryptic Studios. (Luckily, the roof's not that far off the ground.)

it was at the end of the anniversary video http://youtu.be/q4cKfh5mmIg?t=2m47s
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "ZERO idea" is a pretty silly statement. The picture is Romulan; that is a fact not a guess. The phrase "march beneath the raptor's wings", with the raptor being the Romulan figurehead, implies allegiance to the Romulans. Fed and KDF captains allegiance is to their respective factions, not the Romulans. So while we do not know exactly what they are planning, saying we have "ZERO idea" is just wrong.

While I doubt it, it COULD be the Featured Episode equivalent to The Enterprise Incident or Unification.

Ie. we all get surgically altered and pose as Romulans. That would be marching beneath the Raptor's wings too.

But let's be real:

It's a Romulan faction. If it's a complete Romulan faction, that's 50 episodes give or take that would be needed.

20 of those are taken care of with FEs. That means 30 new episodes. I bet 5 of those new episodes would be shared with Feds and KDF. Leaving 25 unique Romulan episodes to fill.

Which leaves Klingons with a 15 episode and a tutorial gap. Take 10 of those 25 Romulan episodes and share them with KDF (and NOT Feds).

The Romulans still have 15 unique episodes that way. Do 5 episodes for the KDF (actually, 4 counting the 3rd anniversary mission) and a tutorial and the Klingon faction is "complete." Wrap a bow on it.

Now, the Romulans would then have 35 missions in common with the KDF but 15 unique and a unique tutorial.

And with FEs at that point accounting for 26+ missions, the idea if probably that 50% or more of any new factions will be FE play.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    New wallpaper :P may as well have something to look foward to.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    caotik69caotik69 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really to hope this becomes a faction, which will be cool but i hope it also makes the romulan ships playable via FED because now were allies so I hope we will have accesse to there technology as they do ours.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Count down to a new popular thread filled with green tears ... "When Will the Romulan Faction be Finished"?
  • Options
    vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can live without a "complete" Romulan Faction. Give me what the Klingons have at current and I'd honestly be happy.

Romulans will be a very PvP based faction.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vladdie wrote: »
    I can live without a "complete" Romulan Faction. Give me what the Klingons have at current and I'd honestly be happy.

Romulans will be a very PvP based faction.
    One suggestion of uncertain merit was having them use Foundry more than other factions. Will it happen? not likely, but theoretically possible.
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Count down to a new popular thread filled with green tears ... "When Will the Romulan Faction be Finished"?
    Futile. There are no 'complete' factions in an open ended MMO. Feds aren't actually complete as-is.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Pretty cool, i also remember reading about updates to Crafting. My dream is to be able to craft any console,weapon, space or ground set. Or to have a dry-dock to craft ship upgrades like increase turn rate or add hull points. Or craft boff slot upgrades, I do remember reading crafting upgrades were also suppose to be coming in season 8, I hope for us who love the crafting aspect of MMO's that we get something better than what we have currently.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Off topic a bit...any one know the name of the song in the trailer?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Off topic a bit...any one know the name of the song in the trailer?

I watched it at work with the sound down, so I made up my own song. It went ... "Lalla lalala la-la-la lalala la-la-la dup dup weeeeee!"
  • Options
    jimwatson87jimwatson87 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the return of Empress Sela, and a resurgence of the old Romulan Empire. If Klingon content features heavily in Season 8, then perhaps the Romulans are bringing the fight to the Klingon Empire.

i agree with you on this. old romulan empire which will start with a FE series. i also think that it will fill out kdf content as well as setting the stage for a romulan faction. just think about it, season 8 is slated to be out in may (ask cryptic: january 2013). maybe the title of the season? but who knows, we can all speculate their reason behind their tease. and we all know that there will be disappointment, especially for all that want a romulan faction.

honestly, we all know they didn't use denise crosby for one special mission, and why in the pc gamer video would they place the teaser after the three year anniversary clip with denise's voice over of yar.

my thoughts: klingon content with their 'blood enemy', romulan FE series based around the new romulus leader with unificationist ideals and the return of sela (that would play into the new romulus adventure zone being neutral ground for current factions), setting the stage for a new faction for release of season 9 (which unfortunately will end up like the current kdf, ask for more content, but that would have been an easy fix to have a special team work on that and have a larger general patch.....hint hint.), and more adventure zones (which are great, but could use one for kdf and fed for their war, because pvp or story missions does not do the so-called war justice)

lets just wait and see :D
  • Options
    fyyarprydefyyarpryde Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So excited! I mean, come on, who doesn't want large,green, swooping warships?
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    God, please let it not be a new faction and just a mission chain now.

I want to see what this place is like then. It would be absolutely glorious.

There's been absolutely zero indication at any point ever that Romulans as a faction will happen pre-season 9, so if all that's been a ruse... it's one of the greatest ruses in MMO history.

Doesn't seem at all likely though. Much more likely the game is doing well enough to just afford a bit of self-promotion.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What if it is just a playable Romulan, with ships and stuff lol, gosh I hope note.

I want a Faction, but to have a faction they'd have to have done a complete storyline like they did on the FED side, i don't see that happening with their budget/number of employees.

Maybe it is just the next FE, and a really good FE at that.

I think also KDF might get more content in S8, but I don't see how that relates to the romulan teaser.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As others have said, it's to much hype for a FE or just an extension of New Romulus.

The only one who is hyping, are people who can't manage their expactations like you :P

They "hyped" the last FE exactly the same way ... still not playing as one of the 2800 though ...

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/02/2800.jpg

Cryptic overhyping things is not exactly NEW either, though .... still waiting for these 10-15 FE's per year they were talking about in 2010
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    irishhawkdrakeirishhawkdrake Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I KNEW Season 7 was a setup for the Romulan faction. Glad to see I was right. :D
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The only one who is hyping, are people who can't manage their expactations like you :P

They "hyped" the last FE exactly the same way ... still not playing as one of the 2800 though ...

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/02/2800.jpg

Cryptic overhyping things is not exactly NEW either, though .... still waiting for these 10-15 FE's per year they were talking about in 2010

True. It could be they just have enough money to throw around to afford a fancy teaser.

But still... why this far in advance? I don't recall the 2800 teaser being put out literally months in advance, and certainly not before we knew what it was. And why timed so well with S8? Possibly coincidence, possibly has nothing to do with anything, but peculiar enough to warrant mention.

Considering that, and the fact we know of no other actual story/mission content in the works post-Anniversary... It reminds me of the Drought of 2011 when they all ducked their heads down to revamp every old mission to scale for F2P.

Fits my predictions for a Romulan Faction. No way, even staffed up, they'd be able to churn out a whole faction without all hands on deck aside from a skeleton crew doing appeasement work for lockbox/C-Store. I'd expect a whole lot of nearly nothing between mid-February and May.

If it is an FE, they'll tell us well before May anyway. Can't think of a time they haven't.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    True. It could be they just have enough money to throw around to afford a fancy teaser.

But still... why this far in advance? I don't recall the 2800 teaser being put out literally months in advance, and certainly not before we knew what it was. And why timed so well with S8? Possibly coincidence, possibly has nothing to do with anything, but peculiar enough to warrant mention.

If it is an FE, they'll tell us well before May anyway. Can't think of a time they haven't.

1. The 2800 Teaser happened at least 2 months before release, and there were lot of speculations when they released it ... including playable Cardassians ... so we didn't exactly "knew" what is was either ...
    2. They already told us about "at least 1 FE with Season 8" just like they told us "no Romulan Faction before Season 9"
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As someone who's actually more interested in the Romulans than the KDF, that's my thought as well. They so far haven't bothered to even edit shared content coherently to make sense for the KDF, and the library of actual KDF missions is tiny. It leaves a really bad precedent for the RSE.

I think this as well, minus any interest whatsoever in the Romulans (Romulans??!! BAH! HUMBUG!!)

I do think that they could still be done as a sort of top heavy faction. Maybe.. 10 missions that level you up to lvl 50, or maybe you just have to do the missions as an introduction while already being 50? Then all they'd need to do is add proper Doffing assignments, a sector or two, and a few base costumes and ships... and everything else could be C-store/Lobi. Basically they make it as short as possible while opening up on the things they could sell. That would be an ideal way for them to introduce new factions, make them require a lvl X fed character, offer up a short introductorey set of missions and off they go... each faction would be accompanied by the appropriate C-store/Lobi releases of course.

If they have any foresight they will make as much faction neutral clothing as they can, things most humanoids can easily wear to broaden their potential buyers... or they might make it all bound to character just to try to get people to spend more, be ready for anything from Cryptic marketing.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd be very surprised if it was a faction. More likely the traditional RSE going on the offensive, the Tal Shiar and Sela 'marching beneath the Raptor's wings,' with the Iconians directing them from the shadows. Another FE seems much more likely than the resources necessary to do another faction, even one merely Klingon sized. Besides, it means we get to advance the main plot again, the Federation heroically defending the quadrant and the Klingons messily killing both their favorite enemies and the people who ultimately manipulated them.
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's said that walking under a raptors wing, much like walking under a ladder, brings bad luck! :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1. The 2800 Teaser happened at least 2 months before release, and there were lot of speculations when they released it ... including playable Cardassians ... so we didn't exactly "knew" what is was either ...
    2. They already told us about "at least 1 FE with Season 8" just like they told us "no Romulan Faction before Season 9"

We're still talking two months versus a little over three between now and May (four if they don't release until the end of May). That's a considerable difference. That said, the teaser could just be interpreted a lot of ways, one of them being a return of Sela in force; an army marching under the raptor's wings, as it were.

As for two, they also tell us nearly constantly, "plans change". I'm just saying, we might be looking at a rare instance of plans changing in our favor rather than resulting in another disappointing push-back for no clear quality gain.
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    YES!! Time to restore the Empire to glory. Death to our enemies, the stars will run red and pink with their blood.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
This discussion has been closed.