test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

March Beneath the Raptor's Wings.

Comments

• reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It's been stated many times that devs told us there would be NO Romulan faction for season 8. Check it out in previous posts. There are quotes of former ask cryptic stating that.

Dan is now saying Season 8 isn't Season 8, that it is not a season, that its too big to be a season, that season 8 is dead to him.

So if there is a Romulan Faction in May, it truly won't be in Season 8 :P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been stated many times that devs told us there would be NO Romulan faction for season 8. Check it out in previous posts. There are quotes of former ask cryptic stating that.
    Stahl was just on Redalert channel talking about it. He said that it's not season 8. "It's too big to be caleld a season." So.... yeah.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    This Friday's screenshot says 'Will you march?' ...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/media/screenshots

This is either really the Romulan faction or they just enjoy trolling us.

You assume the two are mutually exclusive. It is entirely possible that both are true and they are giving us a Romulan Faction and also enjoy trolling the userbase.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i main KDF now with 9 toons.

i also do caretake 3 FED's.

Let people create a KDF toon at lvl 1, make an awesome bloody tutorial, spread the existing missions, fix PVP. FINISHED

Give us Romulan Faction, even 45-50 would be fine to begin with! It is a win/win situation!

I am so much looking forward to MAY! MAY it be JUNE, ill be happy too :D

To all the whiners - it MAY be, that Cryptic is testing the customers - us ;) What do we say? What do we want?
    I for my part am prepared to jump into Romulan story and finally once more throw some cash on the game!

If the Romulans are really to come in May, ill buy the Lifetime, and all the Romulan BOFF slots, DOFF slots, DOFF packs, Zen Store Ships, Toon slots, Foundry slots i can!

edit - MAY i please have the screenshot in larger resolution? (having big monitors)
  • idontcarenoforumidontcarenoforum Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I cannot read it :P

But it would certainly make STO move alive with new playable faction coming up. Cannot wait to see it getting implemented.

Move the Mouse over the Romulan Letters. ;)

http://sto.perfectworld.com/sto_may2013

And as I already said. I WANT A ROMULAN FACTION, even if it's just a Minifaction or like the Klingons are now! And I do have 3 KDF and 3 FED Chars. Endgame is the same!

Do an Intro for the KDF, a couple more missions and you're good to go. There was even an Idea in the Forum for the Tutorial. You are the First Officer on a BoP and you discover your Captain is an Undine. You kill him and therefore you are in Command of the Ship. Bing Tutorial done!
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Time to stick a regular fork in my 3 KDF characters since they're done.

And here's a huge serving fork for my dozen or so Fed characters and my Fed corporation/fleet/SB/Embassy.

Now, that leaves about 4 character slots open to be filled with the green faction!

p.s. After reading elsewhere, I think that STO is headed for a major shift in the factional makeup of the galaxy as we know it! :D
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Y'know, the whole 'March Beneath the Raptor's Wings' might not necessarily refer to a Romulan faction. Well, maybe they'd be one, but here's my thought:

Marching of course implies movement. Beneath, or below something. The 'Raptor's Wing's generally means those Vulcans who became the Romulan people as we know them.

It doesn't necessarily mean playable Romulan though (but could leave the room open for them later on).

Instead, marching beneath the raptor's wings might instead mean that we would be marching, true, but marching to defeat the Romulans who are backed by the Iconians.

the RSE as it stands now might get the backing more of the Iconians, including their puppets the Tal Shiar and the return of Sela (most likely). Sela could unite the factions to her completely, and using an influx of ships and such from the Iconians (so I guess of course), she could make a tremendous push against the Federation and KDF.

In return, the Fed and KDF could probably re-unite against this push, perhaps wrapping up the Fed/KDF war rather nicely for good and even win against the Romulans. As for D'tan and/or Obisek (and their people) joining up in the fight, that's left up to the writers if this is the case. (during this point, the possible tutorial mission could happen for the Romulan players in a big, two or three-way fight between Romulans, Feds, and/or KDF ships)

From there, the Feds and KDF would manage to push back and destroy a great majority of the Tal Shiar and Sela's forces, perhaps to the point that they are wiped out almost completely, and removing a huge asset from the Iconians as well.

If they didn't want to put in Romulans at this point, there would probably be someone saying, 'the Romulan people need time to rebuild, we can't go off fighting a war yet'.

If they did put in Romulans, a good portion of their main story might be focused around the part of the story above, and how you'd probably be fighting for Sela and such, but as the war was lost further and further (while any possible Fed/KDF missions would be pushing the Romulans back), you might eventually decide to defect and go rogue, or at least choose not to fight the Fed/KDF, or something along those lines.

There's a lot of possibilities here, pretty much everything I said was speculation, but I felt it was a different enough idea to be worth posting.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    There's a lot of possibilities here, pretty much everything I said was speculation, but I felt it was a different enough idea to be worth posting.

Your idea isn't that different, its kind of what DStahl already confirmed months ago, problem here is just everyone ignoring the facts, because they want to have their Romulan Faction
    Dstahl: There will be more adventure zones like this. We?re currently working on Nimbus which will be featured in Season 8 (thus the placeholder for it in the Tau Dewa sector).
    Dstahl: This includes focusing on Feature Episodes for Season 8. While the details are still being ironed out, the early indication is that there will be at least one new series at launch of S8 and maybe even more than
    that. Once we get closer, I?ll share more details.
    Dstahl: Season 7 is going to reveal more information about what *might* have happened to Sela as well as dive deep into the aftermath of the Romulan Feature Episode series. In addition, we are planning a big story update for Season 8 which will futher other story lines, but we aren't sharing any details about that yet since it is further out.

Just another question, for any "believer" out there, what new faction might that be :
    1. Playing as puppet of the Iconians (hard to believe, you personally get to **** the STO Main Story Line)
    2. Playing for the Mol'Rihan Romulans (in this case "under the Raptors Wings" doesn't make much sense though, they are just rebuilding atm ... more like "Raptor under the FED/KDF wings")

New Romulan Faction doesn't make much sense right now (storywise) ... maybe someday when we defeated the Iconians, and New Romulus is united and strong again ... there are just too many plot-holes right now to introduce a Romulan Faction
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At best the rest of the KDF fraction together with a new playable romulan fraction. At worst just a romulan themed mission or small missionarc for starfleet/kdf.

We will see.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Your idea isn't that different, its kind of what DStahl already confirmed months ago, problem here is just everyone ignoring the facts, because they want to have their Romulan Faction

Most of those quotes are too old for relevance. In the latest communication with players (posted in the forums under the Red Alert chat with DStahl) he said he doesn't think of it in terms of Season 8 now, and that it's much larger that a regular season update.
    edited February 2013
    wast33 wrote: »

So this is clearly a hint, that Archer and the NX-01 defected and fought for the Romulan Empire ... :P (at least thats what most people in this thread would have to think)

felderburg wrote: »
    Most of those quotes are too old for relevance

So you're saying they just threw away 6 months of work, to give you Romulans within 4 months ... sounds reasonable ...
    felderburg wrote: »
    he said he doesn't think of it in terms of Season 8 now, and that it's much larger that a regular season update.

Just like Season 7, 6, 5 .... got the picture ? Doesn't mean anything anymore, certainly not a new faction ... just more of the good old marketing
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    guess it will be new rom faction, but i would not bet on one of them ^^....
    and if not there will be the some rom "lower-backs" to kick for sure, after pampering them for so long :)
  • darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, we could be getting a playable Romulan faction, in the same state as the Klingons from 2010. :P
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So you're saying they just threw away 6 months of work, to give you Romulans within 4 months ... sounds reasonable ...

Shelving something doesn't mean they've thrown it away. They shelved the Dominion FE's when the F2P conversion came around (it's the only thing that explains how Stahl could have playtested the first episode so long before it actually came out).

Hell, they may not even have had to shelve anything. It's possible they have people working on both.

We really can't make any meaningful assumptions about where the workforce is focused, just that a lot of work is being done on new stuff due out in May.
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Shelving something doesn't mean they've thrown it away. They shelved the Dominion FE's when the F2P conversion came around (it's the only thing that explains how Stahl could have playtested the first episode so long before it actually came out).

Hell, they may not even have had to shelve anything. It's possible they have people working on both.

We really can't make any meaningful assumptions about where the workforce is focused, just that a lot of work is being done on new stuff due out in May.

Just saying ... whats more likely ???

1. The Romulan Teaser referring to the return of Sela, possible new Romulan Adventure Zones ... which was already confirmed being released someday ... ??

Might agree with you, if none of the stuff they already told us is being worked on, would have nothing to do with Romulans ... but most of the stuff which is already confirmed IS Romulan centred ...

2. Romulan Faction, which would kind of contradict all they've said for the last year ... based on what facts ??? ... "Because I want it to be" ???

3. All of it together ... Nimbus Adventure Zone, new FE's includig Sela, completing KDF, Romulan Faction etc ... all happening in May ... you could as well believe in Santa Clause ... even if they have more Staff now ... this would take at least 200 new employees ... looking at what we got in previous Seasons ...

I prefer on making assumptions on what I already know, not about things i just want to happen ... sure everything is kind of possible just not very likely
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to try an experiment.

Next time an Ask Cryptic thread comes up, or next time Stahl's in-game, we should try this.

Ask him about the Romulan faction. But don't ask if the teaser relates to it. Instead ask if it's still possible we'll see it after this update, since what used to be S8 is now The Update Formerly Known as S8. Phrase it like we're impressed by what he's teasing and if it means the faction is more likely to be viable down the road.

If we get the same line "Not until after S8", then in all likelihood, the mystery teaser is not the faction.

If he answers but dodges the question, we have implicit confirmation.

If he avoids it entirely, we have reason to be suspicious.
  • forcardassia6forcardassia6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I took this from another thread.
    Probably this ... it's getting hard to believe in the whole "biggest Season yet", "more Staff than ever" - Stuff after 1,5 years without results ... Season 7 was supposed to be "the biggest Season yet, with revolutionary ways to advance Story Content yadda yadda yadda" ... all we got is 5 short Cutscenes and Bunny Chasing ... so if you seriously believe you'll get 1,5 new factions in Season 8, you have my deepest sympathies ...

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I like New Romulus to a certain extent but I got really bored of it after a month of doing the same missions over... and over... and over again. And I don't even play all that often. I feel sorry for those that do! I am taking this 'March Beneath the Raptor's Wings' thing with a grain of salt. To be honest, I'm not really expecting Cryptic to do anything wonderful. Raised expectations have hurt this game in the past. People would be wise to not get their hopes up too much or else they'll be really disappointed.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just another question, for any "believer" out there, what new faction might that be :
    1. Playing as puppet of the Iconians (hard to believe, you personally get to **** the STO Main Story Line)
    2. Playing for the Mol'Rihan Romulans (in this case "under the Raptors Wings" doesn't make much sense though, they are just rebuilding atm ... more like "Raptor under the FED/KDF wings")

New Romulan Faction doesn't make much sense right now (storywise) ... maybe someday when we defeated the Iconians, and New Romulus is united and strong again ... there are just too many plot-holes right now to introduce a Romulan Faction

Hey you're fighting faith. Facts have no effects on believers. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013
    Hey you're fighting faith. Facts have no effects on believers. :D

The truth is out there ;)

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9269/believer.jpg
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • crunch2600crunch2600 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope they do something more substantial with these factions. Since there are no solid mechanics that support that idea of a war between FED and KDF, it's barely noticeable, they should either merge the factions into the same gameplay pool or create some new mode or mechanic to make it worthwhile to split have the playerbase like they are. There was mention of a territorial control gamemode the likes of PlanetSide 2 at some point... and with the endeavor to unify sector space into one large map... *fingers crossed*
  • dunespicedunespice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Looking forward to a new Romulan faction, I quite enjoyed the New Romulus storyline and setting :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    just have bought 2 more toon slots :D
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2013

You sir win a cookie!! Right in the middle of the X files series now actually, first time since I was a kid.
  • zarxidejackozarxidejacko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it Rom Faction i will march but it will be longest march ever, imagine first t5 starbase only in about 6-8 months after faction release, new rep faction grind, i dont even want to imagine pvp at top level against other dominant factions with full purplz, sets and rep passives :D it will be slaughter.
    It will be hard year long work for new character but we will survive..

Faction transfer token anyone ?:D
    2010 is my join date.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Faction transfer token anyone ?:D

Yes this^^^^
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    March beneath the raptors wings is the same title as a Pocket books novel about Capt Archer and the start of the Human Romulan war. I think it will be a Story line where at the end there will be a playable Romulan Capt for Fed & KDF with Romulan Ships. We already have all their gear and Doffs and Boffs and Weps. I doubt it will be an entire Romulan Faction. KDF will be Tal Sher and Fed Romulans under D'tan
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    March beneath the raptors wings is the same title as a Pocket books novel about Capt Archer and the start of the Human Romulan war. I think it will be a Story line where at the end there will be a playable Romulan Capt for Fed & KDF with Romulan Ships. We already have all their gear and Doffs and Boffs and Weps. I doubt it will be an entire Romulan Faction. KDF will be Tal Sher and Fed Romulans under D'tan

Yeah, you are talking about this. As you can see, it is Beneath the Raptor's Wing. There is no March.
  • dunespicedunespice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Yeah, you are talking about this. As you can see, it is Beneath the Raptor's Wing. There is no March.

That phrase was originally from the 7th episode of Enterprise's 4th Season, titled "The Forge." (It was part of the 3-episode Vulcan story-arc from that season) Good episode!

The book's title was also inspired by that same episode.

The full quote from the episode is:

Syrran: "Infinite diversity in infinite combination. Words that are a mere shadow of its true meaning.
    Surak tells us that the story of the IDIC has no end but it begins here, at Mount Seleya."

T'pol: "Surak died on Mount Selaya."

Syrran: "His body, yes. But his Katra was spirited away - before the last battle against those… who march beneath the Raptor’s wings. Those who wanted to return to the savage ways."

The quote refers to "The Time of Awakening," when the Vulcan and Romulan races diverged in a great war.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.