test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

March Beneath the Raptor's Wings.

Comments

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In the end though, the fact that there hasn't been a 3rd faction done in a universe that started with 3 superpowers politically, was a bit short sighted.
    I was surprised there was even a second faction to begin with, given that the entirety of the main Star Trek franchise has always been about the Federation.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think their posting is misleading people to the wrong conclusions.

They have already stated that there will be a new Romulan Adventure Zone released with the May season. This is quite likely all this is. I want Romulans more than anyone alive, but May isn't going to bring about a faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am going to go on a limb here and say this is going to be a Romulan Faction release. They have talked about it time and time again so it's good to see some clarity on this and also build up some hype. Should be epic considering Star Trek Into Darkness releases May 17th. It's shaping up to be a good spring! :D
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not going to even go that far to try to forsee what Cryptic ment with that teaser. I mean, how can one know, they're 'Cryptic' after all :P
    Whatever it is, I'm always joyfull about any new content added to STO.

But, I have to say, not intending to hurt anyone's feelings, that from what I've read in this tread so far I'm very dissapointed by the Romulan players :eek: , ofcourse with noted exceptions.
    It only took one teaser for them to shift from - "finish KDF and give us RSE, pronto!" to - "TRIBBLE the KDF, kill them off and give us RSE" :confused:
    You Rommies do realize that most of the Fed. exclusive players only care about their new toys, ships etc. and couldn't care less about Romulans. Without the support of the red 20%, however that number may seem small, you're never getting the RSE faction.
    Most of the KDF, myself inculded, had always supported the existence of a Romulan faction in STO. It's still a big wish of mine to PvP against Romulan players in their Warbirds.
    How easy you forgot that the red side is the one that understands how you feel and your needs to have your own content. KDF players have always supported a fully fledged RSE faction and not some 5 level tag-along.
    Hell, I have even said on more than one ocassion that the rom.fans should get a faction asap even if it's on the level of development of the KDF if that makes them happy.

Ah, I guess "Never turn your back on a Romulan" stands! At least you act in cannon :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The phrase "Beneath the Raptor's Wings" was noted in Star Trek Enterprise during season 4. No one ripped you off.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It can be an expansion to the New Romulus story arc. KDF might get there own story for what's to come .

I do remember Dan saying things would be resolved things with the Feds and KDF, and it might lead up to something dealing with the Romulans

What I see is Season 8 gives KDF and FED's their own story arcs that both deal with Romulans, and the War...then something happens that will have the KDF and FED end the war and bring back the Khitomer accords (not merge the factions just have peace with each other) That will lay down the foundation to a Romulan Faction, and a showdown with the Iconions .

Just a thought
    GwaoHAD.png
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    What I see is Season 8 gives KDF and FED's their own story arcs that both deal with Romulans, and the War...then something happens that will have the KDF and FED end the war and bring back the Khitomer accords (not merge the factions just have peace with each other) That will lay down the foundation to a Romulan Faction, and a showdown with the Iconions .

It would certainly be nice to have some sort of resolution. The Fed/KDF war feels really stupid, especially once you've progressed down the storyline and are fighting alongside each other.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd imagine it's the return of Empress Sela, and a resurgence of the old Romulan Empire. If Klingon content features heavily in Season 8, then perhaps the Romulans are bringing the fight to the Klingon Empire.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Diplomatic mission down on Vulcan - references those that "marched beneath the raptor's wings".

Very interesting little reveal...

I wonder what other VO work Denise Crosby has done for Cryptic to enhance our enjoyment of STO?

A new faction would give the ship designers a lot more models and ideas from which to work.

Would also mean some additional sales for the extra character slots, costumes, etc.

Would provide for new story possibilities like recreating the attack on Narendra III for the Ambassador to show up in to save the day...

KDF fans have had 3yrs to enjoy what there is of their faction.

After 3yrs, it's time...and I just want "a piece of the action". :cool:
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • shadowjwcshadowjwc Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Diplomatic mission down on Vulcan - references those that "marched beneath the raptor's wings".

Doubtful, that phrase refers to those Vulcans who founded the Romulan Star Empire. I suppose it could be a diplo mission but I don't think so. Im hoping for a Romulan Faction and the way these tease is presented it seems like im right.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A new featured episode series.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bye Bye, Federation citizens if this is an approximate date for the Romulan Star Empire faction then Star Trek Online = Best MMO ever.
  • crunch2600crunch2600 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Based on the hints they've given, specifically Dan Stahl's remarks on Season 8 fleshing out what roles factions will have in the end-game, I'm going to make a wild guess and say they're planning to introduce a sort of territorial control system to the game. If they're dedicated to making three factions, it's a perfect number for that type of system. It could be provincial to a separate contested part of space and it could be sort of like PlanetSide 2. Stahl has used the words "territorial control", referring to future ideas, so it's not that crazy, right?
  • verbenamageverbenamage Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I don't know what they're planning, but if they're talking about marching beneath the raptors wing and I can't play as a romulan I'm going to be pretty ticked off. That's some cheap marketing, if it's just some hype for a featured episode series. The implication is clearly you get to play as a romulan. Now, despite that obvious implication the plan might be something different, like a romulan-centric featured series. If that's the case though, that's really some underhanded marketing.

Thing is though, all the ask-cryptics and interviews have suggested that another playable faction was further off than season 8. I'd really like to play as a romulan faction, but don't want to get my hopes up.

It might be like some others have suggested, that they're going to release the romulan race and ships to one or both of the existing factions. Possibly via zen purchases.

That kinda makes sense. I mean, if you're doing the new romulus content (first of all, you have my sympathy), then you're unlocking things like romulan/reman support consumables, romulan doffs, romulan boffs, romulan weapons... Really, romulans are technically "serving" with both starfleet and KDF, in the form of boffs, doffs, and support summons. No reason that they can't become a PC race now, too.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe it will related to the return of Sela.
    Maybe the player will have to infiltrate the Romulan Star Empire, and thus, will be marching under the raptor wing.

I don't think it will be a full faction. There would more advertisement and marketing about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zev92zev92 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hope it all out war with romulan for the kdf, that should be great.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Its going to be the return of Sela with an army at her back, a combined Tal Shiar / Iconian force which will end the Federation/Klingon war
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe we find out the Romulans have made a packed with the Voth, and have cloned Velociraptors as shock troops.....It can happen.;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Maybe we find out the Romulans have made a packed with the Voth, and have cloned Velociraptors as shock troops.....It can happen.;)
    Hehe.... it IS possible. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm a little worried about this due to the fact that the Klingon faction is not on par with the Federation faction.

The fact is they really needed to spend the time they used on this Rom faction for the Klingons right now the Klink who were suppose to be a PVP faction they really turned into a small faction when you get auto lvl to 30 you start to wonder if they could have done more.

Its great that their doing a 3rd faction just don't think it going to have the same amount of content that the Klinks or Federation has I also would like to see how they deal with the other faction thats at the far end of Romulan space.

It sounds cool for may but I not jumping on board just yet.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    martokus wrote: »
    "March Beneath the Raptor's Wings" to me implies that it is OUR chance to owe allegiance to the 'raptor's wings', i.e., the symbol of the Romulan Star Empire. It's like saying "March beneath Old Glory." I think that phrase would have a pretty clear meaning.

To me it seems to be a clear hint at a Romulan faction, and if that's NOT what it is, then shame on Cryptic for breaking my poor little heart. :(

This, a million and five times times this
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • giaranagiarana Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well if this is going to be a new Romulan faction, I hope we get a free toon slot and enough content to make it worth playing!

I've not been all that impressed with the New Romulus content that we have, it just doesn't fit together well. KDF and Feds all working together to help their "buddies" the Roms, While they're at war... (I know this has been said before.)

Kinda hoping that this will turn out to be part of the new RSE/TS plan to rise up and turn on the Fed/KDF fools...

I'd still prefer the KDF faction given the TLC that it needs i.e. Lvl 1-20, content, ships, new ui and uniform choice.
    HOMO SAPIENS NON URINAT IN VENTUM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It is pretty obvious that the implication of "marching under the raptor's wings" is a playable Romulan faction. The question is whether that faction will be tacked on to the Fed/KDF, or its own autonomous entity.
  • aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It is pretty obvious that the implication of "marching under the raptor's wings" is a playable Romulan faction. The question is whether that faction will be tacked on to the Fed/KDF, or its own autonomous entity.

I would put money on the fact that this is not the romulan faction, but just an extension of the Romulan story line.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I still think the Tal Shiar is going to conquer the KDF, so they can absorb all KDF players and ships in with the Romulans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As others have said, it's to much hype for a FE or just an extension of New Romulus. Did the Borg invasion of Defera get hyped like this, this far in advance? Did the return of the Tholians? Heck, did New Romulus get this much this far in advance? The answer is no. Yes, the did get hyped and they did get marketing, but nothing this cryptic. They were blatant and obvious what was coming.

Dan has said that he wants a fleshed out Klingon faction and Dan has said he wants a Romulan faction. He has said we won't be getting a Romulan faction before Season 8... :rolleyes: Dan has talked about many of the Klingons early level missions could end up being the Klingon side of some of the Federation missions. This would make them quick to turn out because it's going to reuse many of the same resources. He's said that Season 8 is going to be BIG.. well, let's read it in Dan's words.
    Dstahl: Season 8 and Season 9 are both going to be BIG releases. I?m very much looking forward to them because they represent the first big releases we will have been able to do with the increase to our live team staff. While I can?t spoil any of the details on what exactly is coming, it is exciting to come to work every day knowing that we are building some great new experiences for STO in 2013 that will give fans some of the things they?ve been wanting for a long time (including myself!).

This, to me, says that there are going to be major game changing things happening in Season 8 and 9. To me, nothing is more game changing then a new faction. In the Ask Cryptic we also got this.
    Dstahl: We are targeting a May release, but production dates are always subject to change. The rough idea is that it will be awesome and have lots of new missions, ships, and things to do! :) Sorry, I wish I could share more, but you?ll have to wait just a little while longer for details.

Look at the bolded part. Lots of new missions. Lots of new ships. We know that the Klingons are getting lots of love, so lots of new Klingon missions? Lots of new ships? The Feds have tons of ships, the Klingons have a full range of ships. Who's getting these ships? (EDIT) And just a few weeks later we get this cryptic message that in May we will get to March Beneath the Raptors Wings.

I'm really hoping and leaning towards a Romulan faction. I've wanted one sense the game came out and will be very happy to get one. If it's not, I'll be disappointing in that, but from the sounds of it, Season 8 is going to be epic. I'm sure I'll be happy and enjoying what we do get. But here's holding hope for a new faction!
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The name of the season 8 really perked my interest. What a cool name, I though. Maybe Cryptic is upping their game with some really cool, well written and compelling content?. Nope. Then it struck me where I has seen that name before.
    They took the name from a Star Trek Enterprise book. http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Romulan-Beneath/dp/145160582X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359602569&sr=1-1&keywords=beneath+the+raptor%27s+wing

Facepalm ! C?mon Cryptic, you can?t even come up with an original name for the next season?!?
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or it could be a reference to it? Holy super critical with absolutely ZERO idea or knowledge of what they are planning or what the writing will be like...