test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO under Wine/Linux/Mac

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    The game actually let me play through the tutorial mission and then through another, but then it crashed on vulcan when I tried to use the shuttle craft. Then it crashed every time I loaded a character. I even made a new one and it crashed too. any advice?
    edited March 2012
    I have the mmdevapi workaround, but it hasn't helped.

The mmdevapi is now implemented properly in WINE, so remove all workarounds as *those* will cause troubles now. I had to remove the mmdevapi workaround (disabled entirely in my case for UT3) I had in place for older versions of WINE to get sound to work in STO.

Also, make sure the audio device in game is set to 'default', as I've had troubles with specifying a sound card in that option (mostly broken up sound).
    edited March 2012
    So, I have STO up and running. However, I have no sound at all, and it looks like somebody turned off the lights! I can see my hud ok, and all of the menus seem to display properly. However, In the main screen, All I can see of what's going on are the names of other people and the red and blue lights from ships. What should I do?
    edited March 2012
    Just FYI, I recently uninstalled STO from my Ubuntu laptop because I needed some space back (and I'm on an STO hiatus). I noticed that /home/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files was taking up about 27GB of space. This was due to STO. Might want to keep an eye on this folder if your space is running low, or if you're uninstalling STO.
    edited April 2012
    Ubuntu 12.04 came out today. Anyone have any luck getting STO to run in it?
    edited May 2012
    wa1k1k1 wrote:
    Ubuntu 12.04 came out today. Anyone have any luck getting STO to run in it?

I've got 11.10 running fine on my x64 build. I run a little script and make sure that the processor governor is set to max/performance. I've got an nvidia 550TI and get ~25-60 fps, depending on the effects in the area.

EDIT: Unbelievable, I just realized who you are :)
    edited May 2012
    Hey people, just wanted to let you all know how I got my setup working on linux. I currently run 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (fresh install.)

1. I am using the current version of wine from their repo (1.5.4)

2. I set my environment to 32bit
    WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

3. I used winetricks to get ie7
    WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie7

I had to do the next two steps to fix that horrible stutter in the sound. Since I use Ubuntu, pulseaudio was enabled by default.

4. I disabled mmdevapi in winecfg (under the "libraries" tab)

5. I enabled alsa drivers for sound
    WINEARCH=win32 winetricks sound=alsa

6. I managed to get it set as a maximized window. (This was trial and error since the cursor wasn't matching the display. All I can say is watch the tooltip hovers and use key commands as much as you can to get through the menus.)

All of this was done in a fresh wine directory. It apparently didn't even need any special DX install, the errors all seem to be non-fatal.
    That's it! I have a playable game, and don't need winblows anymore! I would like to say THANK YOU to the community (and Google) at this point as none would have beed possible without you!!!!
    edited June 2012
    I was able to get Star Trek Online but when I play at 1440x900 there is a popup saying there its not enougth memory. I am running Wine 1.5.5 and latest Winetricks. My video card is a EGA 560ti 2 gig. Operating system is 12.04

Is there anyway to configure wine so STO would use the card video because I think its going through DX9 and the emulator? Although I have plenty of power to run the game at 1440x900 or above
  • leoll2leoll2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hello guys,
    I've a pc with 2gb ram and ubuntu 10.10.
    I've downloaded STO from the official website, but the launcher doesn't work: in fact, I can only see a white-window instead of the login one. In my opinion the problem is related to Internet Explorer, so I tried to install IE7 and IE8 from PlayonLinux, but the problem persists.
    Winetricks doesn't work (it doesn't download anything).
    My last chance of success may be a virtualbox, but I have no experience with it.
    Do you have advices for me, or a better solution for my problem?
    Thank you linux trekkers!
    P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
    ...and 21 other characters!
  • randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Want to tweak your post a little to assist all the other people with install problems since your post covers all the tweaks which were great..
    First the system I am running:
    NVIDIA 9600GT with latest driver supported
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Wine 1.2 (Latest supported)

Do these steps in this order from here on in. These steps worked flawlessly every time.

STO will work straight up under Linux for just about any Distro provided you can do the following:
    - Install latest Wine (above or better later)
    - Install Winetricks

From here I will walk you through the setup that is error free install and run:

Before intalling STO:
    - install corefonts via winetricks
    - install d3dx9 via winetricks (Do NOT install DirectX itself)
    - install ie7 via winetricks

- Now put your CD or copy to HD then run under wine.
    - Follow the prompts and install as normal.

On completion do the following:
    - Open wine configuration
    - On the graphic card screen, do NOT select virtual desktop.
    - select the first checkbox for the mouse and leave the rest as default.

On the Audio tab:
    - Select Alsa (default unless your audio either works with another or works better with another)
    - click apply/ok to close.

Now run the game, a white popup window will appear which is the ie7. Close it. login, run your updates which will take for freakin ever, and then play. Adjust sound and video in-game to what you like.

NOTE: When you alt-tab or anything that removes focus from the game, it will make the game appear as though it froze or locked up. This should not be the case. Look at the top left of your gamescreen and you should see a little 1" x 1" square. If you click that, it refocuses onto the game.

This was tested on Gentoo, Ubuntu and Fedora. Please respond to let me know if this does or does not work on any other systems.

I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 and wine and this did not work! IE never showed but Konq web broswer did. I was told to enable cookies but their was no menue to do that. :mad: I guess I will have to boot into winblow$ to play STO.
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
    edited October 2012
    FYI I am a Vice Admiral and a STO veteran from open beta. :)
    edited October 2012
    randolf2 wrote: »
    FYI I am a Vice Admiral and a STO veteran from open beta. :)

Too dark and no amount of udjusting monitor settings work. Calibration slider does nothing even when slide all the way to the right! using Kubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit updated last=yesterday. Also using wine 1.4 ubuntu 64 bit version. Yesterday's update seems to have fixed the WINEARCH command - I could never get that to work - now I can install and run STO but too dark to play. I have installed the following via wine tricks IE8, Direct x and corefronts. I set multisampling and GLSL on via winetricks. I am using a seperate WINEPREFIX for STO so the settings only effect STO. I still have to use windows vista to play STO since Linux wine is still too dark. I keep checking here and the wine data base for suggestions on what might get it to work. I am running on an HP Pavilion dv6 1030us Entertainment Notebook PC. STO dosn't recognize my graphics card but STO runs fine via Windows vista even with some of the graphics turned up, so why not under linux unless the ubuntu video drivers are to blame.
  • vincedoevincedoe Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Are you using a Intel based graphic card?

I have the same issue using the Intel HD (= HD 2000) of my Pentium G620. Hardened Gentoo with Mesa 8.0.4, Kernel 3.5 and DDX 2.20.9

I found the following workaround.

export MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode -GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex -GL_ARB_map_buffer_range"

My STO start script is looking like this.

#!/bin/bash
    export vblank_mode=0
    export MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode -GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex -GL_ARB_map_buffer_range"
    export WINEDEBUG=-all
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.STO
    cd "$HOME/.STO/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios"
    wine "Star Trek Online.exe"
  • trinidogtrinidog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can run and launch the game, with wine, but I see a very dark screen. Do you have the same problem? I have Intel built in like you. My graphics driver is Intel Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2 . I see the player correctly for a second, and then they turn black and purple, and I can hardly see anything. I messed around with a lot of settings, and it still does not work. Do I need to update the driver? bBecause I get un recagnized driver when I start up. Or do I need an actual graphics card to play?

EDIT: I have tried the work around, but to no avail, it still is dark.
    edited December 2012
    Hello trinidog,

i don't use the workaround anymore because the current Intel driver package (Kernel 3.6.8 + Intel 2.20.14 + libdrm 2.4.40 + Mesa git) doesn't have this issue but some performance issues on my new Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770t (HD 4000).

The following issues still exists:

1.) Every time a planet/part of a planet is on the screen the framerate drops from around 30-50 to 5-10. This is bad for 3 of the 4 Space STF's. I'm using a 1280x1024 screen resolution and all video settings are set to minimal/off

2.) After 2-3 Fleet missions (e.g. SB24, Mirror Event, Fleet Defense, STF's, etc.) i have to restart the STO client because of some kind of heavy lags starts. I'm using still WINE 1.4.1 so maybe this could be the issue. I will check this in the future.

Which distribution do you use?
    Which version of Kernel, Intel driver, Mesa, libdrm do you use?
  • dotaokdotaok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dear hardcore Linux users:

Please make note of the following: For multiple reasons I needed to run Linux. I was ecstatic when I discovered the forums and etc. information.

It took me a little time, please allow me the opportunity to share what I have experienced thus far.

Ubuntu is so solid.

I found that Wine 1.4 is crucial. Follow the instructions for the fonts / other programs / IE7 etc. and so forth. IE works awesome for the loader. It does crash if you launch a window to the STO forums or whatever in the Wine window. Just use your normal linux setup.

I found that I needed to also install PLAYONLINUX and make sure playonlinux was the initiator of the STO .exe file which runs in Wine 1.4. As opposed to Wine as the initiator - it just did not work for me. Wine can be configured through PlayOnLinux and note: an .exe can be isolated from Wine but you may not want this.

I personally preferred a Window 1600x1000 but I am playing on a nice flatscreen. I also wanted access to the web while in game and consequently do not limit my mouse settings to the window only in the Wine Settings.

P.S. I tried to a failure to update the video for ubuntu and could only go so far without a complete loss of X. My video settings are minimal for aesthetics and maximum for performance.

It now takes approximately 120 seconds to initially get in game. Once the maps patch on demand, the game and the maps move nearly as quickly as if a winblows machine. I am a life member and started sometime after Beta. This last time I was off game for many months. Once I went to many of the maps, performance increased and nicely.

I notice lag occasionally: stf maps sometimes, New Romulus which is seemingly and notably popular right now. Less demanding maps have been stable. I have had SNR server not responding only three times for a short while, only once was I dropped.

One thing that frustrates me and I do not have a solution at this time nor have seen on the forums or elsewhere: I will lose access to # keys on both keyboard and keypad at random. It has happened 3 times in two weeks. Please note: for key bind powers 0-9, the number keylock must be OFF but to type numbers in the chat, the lock must be ON. Loss of keys has in no way affected the letter keys, ever. Mouse clicking on powers is the usual repetitive and annoying process I experienced on the other OS.

My game play is rusty but not bad. A few stfs with some professionals and I held my own ok according to some good remarks from team players.

My primary toon is Dot@aokdot ---- by all means if I can help you make this work I will. I was dang determined to make this happen without having to purchase a full copy of the other OS. Are there some trade offs? Yes but I believe them to be tolerable. Once in a while, maybe one in 4 times it closes a little rough and has to do a file check on the next restart. Not too big a deal I think.

Thank you, I hope I helped a little and I was grateful for those who communicated ideas also.

Dot@aokdot [sci-o/3stars] - mess 'em up with SCIENCE
  • lordtrepidlordtrepid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have a Dell Optiplex gx520 with an Intel Pentium D dual core processor, (I checked in the Bios and it does have a Dual Core Processor.) I loaded Linux Mint 13 MATE on it. I have tried several things to get STO installed on this machine, (Winetricks, Playonlinux) and it still wont load STO. Is there anyone that can help me?

When I try to run playonlinux, I try to install ie6, I get the message "Error: AMD64 is set, but ie6 is needed." when I try to install ie8, I get the message "Error: L'architecture de Wine est regle en 64bits. Internet Explorer 8 ne peut pas etre installe."
    edited December 2012
    lordtrepid wrote: »
    I have a Dell Optiplex gx520 with an Intel Pentium D dual core processor, (I checked in the Bios and it does have a Dual Core Processor.) I loaded Linux Mint 13 MATE on it. I have tried several things to get STO installed on this machine, (Winetricks, Playonlinux) and it still wont load STO. Is there anyone that can help me?

When I try to run playonlinux, I try to install ie6, I get the message "Error: AMD64 is set, but ie6 is needed." when I try to install ie8, I get the message "Error: L'architecture de Wine est regle en 64bits. Internet Explorer 8 ne peut pas etre installe."

Dear Lord Trepid,

I would try IE7 next.

But I would recommend Ubuntu as it is very solid, we know STO can work on it, and there is tons of regular support for it.

Good Luck,

Dot.
    edited December 2012
    dotaok wrote: »
    Dear Lord Trepid,

I would try IE7 next.

But I would recommend Ubuntu as it is very solid, we know STO can work on it, and there is tons of regular support for it.

Good Luck,

Dot.

I would try ie7 if POL had the option available.
    edited December 2012
    Install it through wine. pol and wine can work together.
  • heidiquteheidiqute Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    dotaok wrote: »
    Dear Lord Trepid,

I would try IE7 next.

Dot.

I had it working under Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. I upgraded to Linux Mint 13 Mate and I can't get past the patch now. Clicking on the patch button does nothing now.
    edited December 2012
    I keep getting the message "Unable to register with Game Explorer."

I once saw a video about a year ago showing step by step how to get STO working on Linux Mint. I tried to find that video and can't find it anymore. Apparently it has been deleted or you have to pay to watch the video now.
  • heidiquteheidiqute Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    heidiqute wrote: »
    I had it working under Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. I upgraded to Linux Mint 13 Mate and I can't get past the patch now. Clicking on the patch button does nothing now.

I used Play On Linux to do a clean install with 32 bit 1.5.9. I got the message "Unable to register with Game Explorer" during the install, but continued on anyway. I installed ie8. I launched it and the patcher worked this time. I hit engage and it seemed to start to load but then it stopped and said that it could not access direct draw.
  • darthborehddarthborehd Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    heidiqute wrote: »
    I used Play On Linux to do a clean install with 32 bit 1.5.9. I got the message "Unable to register with Game Explorer" during the install, but continued on anyway. I installed ie8. I launched it and the patcher worked this time. I hit engage and it seemed to start to load but then it stopped and said that it could not access direct draw.

I followed the same procedure and got the same results.
    edited December 2012
    Hello heidiqute and darthborehd,

STO is a 32 bit application and you need a working 32 bit driver infrastructure to play 3D games. If you are using a 32 bit version of a Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) everything you need should be installed by default but you should check if the graphic cards driver (AMD/ATI, Nividia, Intel) is installed and is working.
    But if you are using a 64 bit version of Linux then you have to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries. It depends on the used distribution how to do this.

".. said that it could not access direct draw."

The 32 bit graphics driver is not working/installed and/or the used User doesn't have the needed access rights to access the graphics card.

Please note not every Wine version works with STO. Sometimes a specific Wine version doesn't work so you have to try an other version.

I'm using:
    - Gentoo Hardened 64 bit version
    - integrated Intel core i7 graphics (HD 4000) with working driver (32 bit + 64 bit)
    - the 32 bit compatibility libraries are installed
    - Wine 1.4.1 installed, 32 bit version only
    - IE6
  • ziktofelziktofel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Could someone please help me with hotkeys? 1 works ok, but 2-5 don't work, 6-8 are reporting as F13-F15 9 is reporting as pov1_Up 0 as pov1_Down

I'm using Linux Mint 14 64 bit with wine 1.5.21
    I have Intel HD 4000 + nVidia GT 630 M graphics, using bumblebee to run the game (using script for launchers)
  • cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have been working to get STO to run in linux the past week.

Heres what I found that works.

Research/Download Crossover Linux for ubuntu. They have a install script for STO online within it.

Crossover has a 15 day trial after that it cost to continue using it but yes it does load.

Have tried steam, pol, and others with no success because of the sto launcher. Looks like codeweaver has wrote there own crossover html engine that makes the launcher work.

So package requierments to run STO online in linux are:
    XML Parser 3.0
    HTML Rendering Engine 7 (ie7)
    Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Crossover HTML Engine
    Wine Mono
    Wine 1.5.51

One thing to note is lag lag lag and resolution is low low low.

Test some more next week.

Back to windows I go 4 now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • riley84riley84 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi guys,

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 with wine 1.4.1.

I have installed via winetricks IE8 & vcrun2008.

I can run the launcher and patch with no problems but I always crash (it gets to a certain point and nothing happens for hours) when I get to the 'Cryptic loading' page after I click 'engage'.

Any help, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • riley84riley84 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok now I get past the 'Cryptic loading' page and now it crashes on the next page, the 'Insignia loading' page.

I checked the error log and it says:

130206 18:55:37 1 [1]: unrecognized web page with 'launcher_login' suffix detected
    130206 18:56:41 2 [1]: unrecognized web page with 'launcher' suffix detected
    130206 18:58:51 1 [1]: unrecognized web page with 'launcher_login' suffix detected
    130206 18:59:28 2 [1]: unrecognized web page with 'launcher' suffix detected
    130206 21:10:30 46 [1]: xferrer resetting after apparent hang.
    130207 05:15:35 65 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 14\nThe connection to the server was lost - unexpectedly disconnected

I have no idea what this means.
  • rhyndosrhyndos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    riley84 wrote: »
    Ok now I get past the 'Cryptic loading' page and now it crashes on the next page, the 'Insignia loading' page.
    I'm having almost the same problem with almost the same set-up, as far as I know (vcrun 2008 installed with Winetricks, Kubuntu 12.10). For me, it doesn't actually crash. It gets to the insignia screen and then does nothing indenfitiely.
This discussion has been closed.