test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO under Wine/Linux/Mac

Comments

• riley84riley84 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rhyndos wrote: »
    I'm having almost the same problem with almost the same set-up, as far as I know (vcrun 2008 installed with Winetricks, Kubuntu 12.10). For me, it doesn't actually crash. It gets to the insignia screen and then does nothing indenfitiely.

Mine does the same but a very quick Cryptic error message, if I wasn't watching the screen constantly I would have missed it, after the message the insignia screen continues 'loading' but does nothing.
  • merlin66666merlin66666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can get the gameclient.exe to load and ask for my password, but it always times out trying to connect to the account server.

Any ideas?
  • evilgenius180evilgenius180 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We need a real Linux version of this game. With Steam on Linux now, there's never been a better time. I've tried a few different times in Linux Mint 14, both with Wine 1.4.1 and with the dev version, 1.5.23, and I can't get it working. I got the closest with 32-bit Mint. I got it patched and got to the Starfleet chevron loading screen like so many people have and it went no farther. In 64-bit, it won't even patch. In all attempts, I used Winetricks to install IE8, vcrun2008 and DirectX 9.

I refuse to go back to Windows, so I guess it's bye-bye to STO for me for now. Hopefully, the devs will realize that there's a Linux market out there and port the game in the near future.
  • mitchtconnermitchtconner Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm having the same issues here. I installed and patched the game at work today (poor connection at home) and the game ran as expected. Got home, and now when I try to run it, all that happens is I get the STO style comm badge in the system tray. Clicking it does nothing. I can run the game client on its own, but same as the above poster, it won't connect to the server.
  • mitchtconnermitchtconner Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm having the same issues here. I installed and patched the game at work today (poor connection at home) and the game ran as expected. Got home, and now when I try to run it, all that happens is I get the STO style comm badge in the system tray. Clicking it does nothing. I can run the game client on its own, but same as the above poster, it won't connect to the server.

I still have no idea why this is happeneing but I am able to reinstal the game...

2wMsvlA.png
    edited February 2013
    Qapla! I got it running. :D

Here's what I'm running:

AMD FX8120 8-core processor
    8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB w/ 310.14 driver
    Peppermint OS 3 32-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
    Wine 1.4

After installing Wine, I ran Winetricks and installed corefonts, IE8 and vcrun2008. Then I installed and patched the game. Upon launch, it gives me an error saying I'm running an unrecognized video card and it may not run, but it does. I'm running it in normal graphics mode.

The initial launch took longer than in Windows. But, it finally started. I'm running it in the "recommended" graphics mode (the slider is 2/3 of the way over) in 1600x900 and it runs like a champ. I put the slider all the way up and it was running a bit rough, but I slid it back down and it's great. The sound has a bit of stuttering, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad the game runs. I didn't do much more than run around Starfleet Academy with one of my toons, though. I'll do more playing later.

The only other weird thing it does is it crashes when I exit, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. :confused:

All of my attempts to get it running in 64-bit Linux have been disastrous, even with only Wine 32-bit installed. But, since the game is 32-bit and I'm running a PAE kernel (so that it will recognize all of my RAM) I'm not worried about it. I dual boot anyway, so I have a 64-bit Linux distribution installed on my other partition for doing tasks that require 64-bit support.
  • crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Qapla! I got it running. :D

Here's what I'm running:

AMD FX8120 8-core processor
    8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB w/ 310.14 driver
    Peppermint OS 3 32-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
    Wine 1.4

After installing Wine, I ran Winetricks and installed corefonts, IE8 and vcrun2008. Then I installed and patched the game. Upon launch, it gives me an error saying I'm running an unrecognized video card and it may not run, but it does. I'm running it in normal graphics mode.

The initial launch took longer than in Windows. But, it finally started. I'm running it in the "recommended" graphics mode (the slider is 2/3 of the way over) in 1600x900 and it runs like a champ. I put the slider all the way up and it was running a bit rough, but I slid it back down and it's great. The sound has a bit of stuttering, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad the game runs. I didn't do much more than run around Starfleet Academy with one of my toons, though. I'll do more playing later.

The only other weird thing it does is it crashes when I exit, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. :confused:

All of my attempts to get it running in 64-bit Linux have been disastrous, even with only Wine 32-bit installed. But, since the game is 32-bit and I'm running a PAE kernel (so that it will recognize all of my RAM) I'm not worried about it. I dual boot anyway, so I have a 64-bit Linux distribution installed on my other partition for doing tasks that require 64-bit support.

The "Recommended" position on the slider actually sets a bunch of options according to what the game thinks the capabilities of your hardware are. Unfortunately, WINE seems to flat out lie about some of that when the game does queries, so you might be running with more stuff turned off than you need to. I'd recommend going through the advanced settings and tweaking stuff by hand. Likely the performance hit boils down to some single option that WINE's wrapper layer just can't handle very well.

Good luck!
    edited March 2013
    I don't think it so much lies as it's that WINE is an emulator (no matter what they claim on their site.) When you run an emulator, it has to run on the host system, so it literally can't pull in your total system resources, it has to save some for the host OS. It's the same problem from which virtual machines suffer.

As for my system, I was able to put some of the sliders up higher. I set the texture quality to 200 without slowing the game down. Anti aliasing seems to slow it down a little, so I just left it off. I noticed the shadow quality setting only has "Low" and "Off" for settings, I had a "High" setting under Windows. I could run the game under maximum settings in Windows and it ran smoothly. But, I'm willing to put up with the reduced settings in order to not have to run Windows anymore. I was literally only running it for a few games.
    edited March 2013
    I don't think it so much lies as it's that WINE is an emulator (no matter what they claim on their site.) When you run an emulator, it has to run on the host system, so it literally can't pull in your total system resources, it has to save some for the host OS. It's the same problem from which virtual machines suffer.

As for my system, I was able to put some of the sliders up higher. I set the texture quality to 200 without slowing the game down. Anti aliasing seems to slow it down a little, so I just left it off. I noticed the shadow quality setting only has "Low" and "Off" for settings, I had a "High" setting under Windows. I could run the game under maximum settings in Windows and it ran smoothly. But, I'm willing to put up with the reduced settings in order to not have to run Windows anymore. I was literally only running it for a few games.

See, that's what I'm talking about, though. WINE is telling us that we can't do some random rendering feature that'll allow us to have decent looking shadows, even though it can.

At one point I had a hack inserted into the renderer setup that made it ignore everything the capabilities queries said if it detected that WINE was present and we could turn all the shadows up with no problem. Unfortunately, while shadows worked fine, some other stuff did start breaking (unrelated to shadows), so that never made it into the client we send out. (And despite me playing around with this in my personal time in the past, Cryptic doesn't officially support this.)

And I disagree with your assertion that WINE is an emulator. It's a re-implementation of the Windows libraries, but the code does not run in some emulated virtual machine where each opcode must be reprocessed and translated, or JIT compiled into something else. All the code in an application running under WINE that doesn't touch the Windows API directly runs, effectively, as native code, and it's just about as capable at using up system resources as any native application.

The problem we're dealing with here is just the buggy DirectX to OpenGL wrapper that makes up their DirectX implementation. (Okay. So it's more complicated than just a wrapper.)
    edited March 2013
    Emulator or not, it adds an other layer between the game and your graphics card. Under normal circumstances, you have these layers: hardware > kernel > OS > program. With WINE, you have WINE added between the OS and the program. But, it's manageable if you know how to tweak it.

Example: I opened up Winetricks and made sure WINE knows I have 1024 MB graphics RAM by manually telling it I do. Then I launched the game and went to "Troubleshooting" under "Video" and reset the graphics memory from "Auto" to "1024+" and that fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I can now run it at nearly maximum settings with no issues. I still only have "Low" as max for the shadows, but I was able to turn on dynamic lighting, AA, and a lot of other "prettiness" settings without a loss in performance. So, I'm happy. :D The shadow quality isn't that big a deal for me.

Another hot tip for anybody who gets stuck in the "Loading" screen with the Starfleet chevron: Open winecfg (Wine Configuration) and add an override for mmdevapi under "Libraries." Don't set it to "disable" or you won't have any sound. Just set it as the default, (native, builtin). I found I was having that issue but I added that override and it starts every time. I shouldn't be getting that since I have the Windows version set to XP, which doesn't even use mmdevapi, but it's there anyway. :confused:
    edited March 2013
    Emulator or not, it adds an other layer between the game and your graphics card. Under normal circumstances, you have these layers: hardware > kernel > OS > program. With WINE, you have WINE added between the OS and the program. But, it's manageable if you know how to tweak it.

From my point of view it's more like...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (DirectX) > program

Which then just becomes...

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (OpenGL) > WINE > WINE's user mode driver stand-in > API (DirectX) > program

(All parts marked in red being common points of errors or performance loss.)
    Example: I opened up Winetricks and made sure WINE knows I have 1024 MB graphics RAM by manually telling it I do. Then I launched the game and went to "Troubleshooting" under "Video" and reset the graphics memory from "Auto" to "1024+" and that fixed a lot of the issues I was having. I can now run it at nearly maximum settings with no issues. I still only have "Low" as max for the shadows, but I was able to turn on dynamic lighting, AA, and a lot of other "prettiness" settings without a loss in performance. So, I'm happy. :D The shadow quality isn't that big a deal for me.

Sweet!

When I have time, I'll look into adding more workarounds for the shadow issues under WINE. I don't know when that time will be, because we're swamped with work on both STO and Neverwinter right now. Shadow quality is a big deal to me. :P
  • lykenstrifelykenstrife Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love to see STO play on Ubuntu so I can finally get rid of Windows Aero for my GNOME 3...
  • captainbondcaptainbond Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (DirectX) > program

hardware > kernel mode drivers / kernel > OS > user mode drivers > API (OpenGL) > WINE > WINE's user mode driver stand-in > API (DirectX) > program

Sweet!

When I have time, I'll look into adding more workarounds for the shadow issues under WINE. I don't know when that time will be, because we're swamped with work on both STO and Neverwinter right now. Shadow quality is a big deal to me. :P

Will STO ever be made available for Macs tho.... Wine doesnt work for me and I payed quite a bit of money into my account :(
  • captainbondcaptainbond Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Sweet!

I wish they would make it available for MAC users tho
  • randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am trying to get this to run under Ubuntu 12.10 and wine 1.5.25 . So far I can log in and patch and click engage. I get the cryptic splash screen and a lot of fix me's and then the Star Fleet logo appears then a small white box appears briefly with nothing in it then dissapears! I think that might be the connecting to sever retry that many times appears when running in windows. It never dose anything else. Muno updater shows there is a new wine package so I will try updating. It only shows that it is version 1.5 and clicking on it says the list of changes are not yet avalible, so I won't know what specific version of 1.5 it is until I update and do a wine --version check. Ubuntu seems to be keeping up to the latest version within a few weeks of a stable version comming out. STO plays very well under native Vista so, my hardware is good. It might be a Mesa thing since I use a Intle GMA 45 GPU and Mesa seems to have problems with the Intel Ubuntu driver. I might have to switch my PPA to xorgedgers xcrack to get Mesa to work right. Here is the last few lines of Bash wine out put:

fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
    err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 0418.
    err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 0418.

Any suggestions? I want to get this working before the Romulans get here on May 21, 2013! :D
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
    edited March 2013
    I updated wine to version 1.5.26 and tryed again it went exacttly the same as above except now it says the following:

err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 03f4.
    err:winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 03f4.

Anybody?
    edited March 2013
    Another hot tip for anybody who gets stuck in the "Loading" screen with the Starfleet chevron: Open winecfg (Wine Configuration) and add an override for mmdevapi under "Libraries." Don't set it to "disable" or you won't have any sound. Just set it as the default, (native, builtin). I found I was having that issue but I added that override and it starts every time. I shouldn't be getting that since I have the Windows version set to XP, which doesn't even use mmdevapi, but it's there anyway. :confused:

Nope still stuck at cheveron! :mad: (not you just the game). I am using 64 bit wine with:
    steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/STO wine $HOME/STO/drive_c/'Program Files'/'Cryptic Studios'/'Star Trek Online'.exe
    I have installed vcrun2008 and ie8. Do I need directx or something? I am reading the wine application database that says ie8 and vcrun2008 are all that is needed.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited March 2013
    I would love to see STO play on Ubuntu so I can finally get rid of Windows Aero for my GNOME 3...

i been playing STO on ubuntu for a better part of a year..

it runs just fine with no issues at all.. i get around 50-60 fps in space and 30-40 fps on ground.

my system specs.
    AMD AM3 x2 240 cpu with 4gb ram
    EVGA Nvidia GTS450 FTW 1gb video

linux 3.5.0-26-generic 32bit
    gnome shell on top of ubuntu

wine-1.5.26 using the POL front end..
    i have installed..

IE8
    DX9
    XINPUT
    CORFONTS
    VCRUN2008

in pol you have to set video memory and in the game under troubleshooting
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited March 2013
    i guess i spoke too soon, this new wine that came out 1.5.26 is having an issue..
    when i switch maps like say from academy to first city.. the game crashes with an out of video memory error.

there is no way im using all 1gb of video memory..

i have the settings on recommended..

im trying to track down what it is.

edit, it seems to be shadows..
    when i put the shadows to low everything is fine..
    if i put them to medium or high, the game crashes..

im sure its a wine issue.. im gonna try previous versions to see if one works.

edit2, seems to not crash if i set shadows to low.. medium or high is no good..
    i also disabled GLSL support in POL.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
    edited April 2013
    I just upgraded to wine 1.5.28 and now after over an hour and a half the game finally starts! Why does it take so long and why is game play so slug slow!? It works ok and the graphics are great in WindowsVista. In Kubutu, I had to switch to xorg edgers xcrack videeo driver because the Ubuntu Intel driver dosn't work properly with the Intel GMA 45 chip. :mad:
  • oswaldpposwaldpp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @aarons9

Thank you for your help,

I play STO using POL and WINE also.
    I found that the first STO frendly WINE version is 1.5.15 (the one I used for several months)
    But AA and all the goodies are only accessible with wine 1.5.20+ Except that it always crashed after half an hour or so. I set shadows to low and it seems to work. I do agree with you that it is a wine issue.
    I tried Crossover too, it works fine, thay may have patched wine so that it is very responsive when entering a new zone. But wine is ver 1.5.15 there to.

Thanks again, keep us posted if you find a solution to activate shadows.

O-p

edit: finally, after one hour it crashes :-(
    Config:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor ? 4
    4 GB Ram
    GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2
    Ubuntu 13.04 64bits
    edited May 2013
    I got working easily using playonlinux. There is no script but just tell it to install manully and as long as you already have STO setup ffile then just tell playonlinux to run that then run the game and enjoy. It seems to always take 8 to 10 minutes after you click engage so you have to re log, but it runs great. You have to click patch the first time but after that it will normaly patch automatically. I am all set for tomorrows launch of LOR! :D:D:D

I will be able to march beneath the Raptors wings in a few hours on Holodeck and Tribble! Only on Tribble right now.
    edited May 2013
    Using kubuntu rareing ringtail, playonlinux latesst veersion (I cant bring it up while STO is running to check the version) and wine 1.5.18.
    It took about 15 minutes to get to character selection. Not bad for the third day after the LOR expansion launched. :D
    edited May 2013
    All Windows users will be assimulated! Resistance is futile! Your distintiveness will not be added to our own because quite Frankly Windows is old school and very very weak. Now lower your fire walls and prepare your hard drives for Kubuntu Raring Ringtail installation or whatever distro the tux drone is using that day! :D
  • idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I heard that Steam is now on Linux. Ive never used it, but I am curious. Is STO playable on Linux via Steam?? Is that a thing? :confused:

If not is that something that is likely in the future? It would be nice to play via an authorized platform, instead of using wine.

(sorry for noob question)
    ZNju0ze.jpg
    edited June 2013
    idashla wrote: »
    I heard that Steam is now on Linux. Ive never used it, but I am curious. Is STO playable on Linux via Steam?? Is that a thing? :confused:

If not is that something that is likely in the future? It would be nice to play via an authorized platform, instead of using wine.

(sorry for noob question)

STO is avalible on Steam for Windows but not yet on Steam for Linux but hopefully it will be eventually since so many players use Steam for windows via Linux > wine. :)
  • ecthaelionecthaelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm using ubuntu 13.04, how do I get this to work?

I have the newest wine but have never gotten wine to work for anything except ie 8 recently.

Does anyone have an up to date star tot finish for this? I want to solidify my move away from windows and this game is my ticket if I can get it to work. Any help would be glorious!
  • ecthaelionecthaelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I take ^ back....

Finally got it working up to loading screen, was so happy to see the nice borg expansion loading screen. Now about that load time, does anyone know how to shorting that to something reasonable?

13.04 x64 ubuntu
    wine 1.6rc4
    using ie8 as my only extra instal via winetricks and i believe everything is set to windows xp thus far.
    edited July 2013
    ecthaelion wrote: »
    I take ^ back....

Finally got it working up to loading screen, was so happy to see the nice borg expansion loading screen. Now about that load time, does anyone know how to shorting that to something reasonable?

13.04 x64 ubuntu
    wine 1.6rc4
    using ie8 as my only extra instal via winetricks and i believe everything is set to windows xp thus far.

It takes 20 minutes or longer to Load for me! :mad:
    edited August 2013
    I am using PlayOnLinux version 4.2.1 and wine 1.6. Your new Arc program won't run. I got this game to patch manually using an old STO setup program on my hard drive but when I click 'engage' it dosn't appear to do anything. If I move my mouse cursor over the launcher window, the window dissapears. Looking at the process list shows nothing concerning the game so I think the game died. The PlayOnLinux debug shows nothing beyond a sucessful patch. I had this game working manually on PlayOnLinux when LOR launched and it worked but I had to reset PlayOnLinux and the game got deleted. This time I am trying to write a POL script for others to use to automate the install.
This discussion has been closed.