test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO under Wine/Linux/Mac

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Clean install of Ubuntu 10.10
    Installed wine 1.3.11 (added the wine repository to wine1.3)
    Added the winetricks: d3d9, corefonts and ie8 (not ie7 as most reported, ie7 leads to an unusable updater)
    Before starting the Updater, i had to input on the console "xset r off" to be able to move correct.

Now i have a flawless running STO under linux (all video settings on max) :)
    edited January 2011
    Interesting that you needed "xset r off". I thought that was fixed some time ago already in Ubuntu 10.04 (or was it earlier) and functionality should not have regressed with 10.10. At least I have not needed it anymore with 10.04 nor 10.10. Though I've been lazy and used crossover games for a while with STO... :D

Must try to make a wine 1.3.11 installation myself also, perhaps today. :)
    edited January 2011
    I was able to get it up and working on Ubuntu 10.10 yesterday using the instructions from this site: http://www.redshirtlinux.com/?p=122. Following those instructions, everything was working except the people weren't visible, the shadows where there, but no textures for the people (myself, bridge officers, other players). I read earlier that users with ATI cards should set HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Wine->Direct3D->UseGLSL to disabled in the registry. As I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, I gave this a try and it corrected that issue.

I still get the dialog for "Failed System Specs Check" but it works.

Hi Odhinn_Foster,

I just upgraded from a Radeon HD2600 to a HD5670 and had the same missing character texture issue. When I applied your fix (I had to manually enter that key into the registry because it was not already there) it corrected the problem, but also dropped the graphics quality on these character textures to the same as you would see with the "Low" video setting. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Thank you in advance!
    edited January 2011
    An update to my previous post:

I upgraded my Play on Linux Wine installation to 1.3.12 and also to the new Catalyst 11.1 that just came out yesterday, but I still have the same issue. If UseGLSL is enabled, then the avatars and NPCs do not render, although you will see their shadows and objects they may be holding such as tricorders. I have to disable UseGLSL (it can be done either in the registry directly or by using the Advanced Game Settings under PoL) for these characters to become visible, but the tradeoff is that it drops my graphics settings to Low. If I go into advanced settings I can only select 2 light sources and low reflection quality, although it looks like reflections are not working at all.

This is a major bummer because I purchased the Radeon HD5670 with the intention of improving performance during ground missions or while one starbases - I was experiencing stuttering with the Radeon HD2600 XT unless I pushed the graphics to the Low setting. Now I have a faster card, but it cannot produce graphics better than the Low setting on the character models due to this issue. Therefore disabling UseGLSL is a bad solution for me.

I'm open to any suggestions as to another way to address this rendering issue. I've tried the troubleshooting options in the advanced video settings but there was no improvement. Could there be a game flag I could add to the launcher that might help? Should I check for something else that might be disabled/enabled? I fought with this until midnight last night before throwing in the towel so I would be able to get up for work this morning.
    edited January 2011
    An update to my previous post:

I upgraded my Play on Linux Wine installation to 1.3.12 and also to the new Catalyst 11.1 that just came out yesterday, but I still have the same issue. If UseGLSL is enabled, then the avatars and NPCs do not render, although you will see their shadows and objects they may be holding such as tricorders. I have to disable UseGLSL (it can be done either in the registry directly or by using the Advanced Game Settings under PoL) for these characters to become visible, but the tradeoff is that it drops my graphics settings to Low. If I go into advanced settings I can only select 2 light sources and low reflection quality, although it looks like reflections are not working at all.

This is a major bummer because I purchased the Radeon HD5670 with the intention of improving performance during ground missions or while one starbases - I was experiencing stuttering with the Radeon HD2600 XT unless I pushed the graphics to the Low setting. Now I have a faster card, but it cannot produce graphics better than the Low setting on the character models due to this issue. Therefore disabling UseGLSL is a bad solution for me.

I'm open to any suggestions as to another way to address this rendering issue. I've tried the troubleshooting options in the advanced video settings but there was no improvement. Could there be a game flag I could add to the launcher that might help? Should I check for something else that might be disabled/enabled? I fought with this until midnight last night before throwing in the towel so I would be able to get up for work this morning.

ATI cards can barely do shader mode 1.2 without GLSL... nvidia cards can run this ok without GLSL, but not most ATIs.

There is some command line thing you can type in STO to force it to use shader 1 or 2... I don't recall what the commands were... maybe its thinking you can do a higher shader model and its trying but you cannot.

You might try some different ATI driver versions too, cuz I know some people have no issues using GLSL in Wine on their ATIs in STO.
    edited January 2011
    doh123 wrote: »
    ATI cards can barely do shader mode 1.2 without GLSL... nvidia cards can run this ok without GLSL, but not most ATIs.

There is some command line thing you can type in STO to force it to use shader 1 or 2... I don't recall what the commands were... maybe its thinking you can do a higher shader model and its trying but you cannot.

You might try some different ATI driver versions too, cuz I know some people have no issues using GLSL in Wine on their ATIs in STO.

Sometimes I just need a push in the right direction (sometimes that direction is Google). Thank you for writing back so quickly on this. I found a complete command list thread here in the forums: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=171624

I think the commands that might be useful based on your suggestion are:
    rdrDisableSM2A
    rdrDisableSM2B

and also possibly:
    disable_3d_texture_flush
    which may fix problems with Intel or ATI GPUs. Now I have to wait until my shift is over to test them. :p

Thanks again!
    edited January 2011
    Turns out the rdrDisableSM2 commands don't work, they give an error about a shader refresh command being not found. The disable_3d_texture_flush also didn't work. I used /cmdlist to go through every other video related command, including UseSM2A, UseSM2B, UseSM20 and UseSM30 - they made no impact with UseGLSL disabled. With UseGLSL enabled, UseSM20 made the graphics worse with a crazy plaid pattern covering 3d objects, and UseSM30 cleared that problem up, but avatars & npcs remained invisible regardless of whether Shader Model 2.0 or 3.0 was being used.

So I'm still stuck. I also downgraded the Catalyst 11.1 drivers to the Ubuntu fglrx drivers with no change. I'm considering trying a much older driver set but I again need to hit the hay. Looking forward to fighting with this some more over the weekend, but I'm starting to think that I may need to exchange my video card for a different one. Definitely a learning experience regardless.
    edited January 2011
    It appears I'm not the only one with this problem and it seems to affect the entire Radeon 5000 series, but AMD is looking into it so hopefully it will be fixed by the next driver release.

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25
    edited March 2011
    This is based on instructions I found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10507157&postcount=15

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit with a Radeon 5670, and I have the latest Catalyst release from AMD installed, but I believe this fix will work with the Catalyst from the Ubuntu repositories. If someone would like to test that theory please post here.

Make sure you have the right packages installed to compile.
    sudo apt-get install build-essentials mesa-common-dev libc6-dev-i386

Next, create an empty file named amd-fix.c with a text editor, paste the following code into the file and save it in your home folder:
    #define _GNU_SOURCE (1)
    #include <dlfcn.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <string.h>
    #include <stdint.h>
    #include <GL/gl.h>

void *(*_real_glXGetProcAddressARB)(__const GLubyte *procName);
    void *glXGetProcAddressARB(const GLubyte *procName) {
    //fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: glGetProcAddressARB(\"%s\")\n", procName);
    if(procName && strcmp((const char*)procName, "glGetIntegerv")==0) {
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: redirecting glXGetProcAddressARB(\"glGetIntegerv\")\n");
    return glGetIntegerv;
    }
    return _real_glXGetProcAddressARB(procName);
    }

extern void *__libc_dlsym (void *handle, __const char *name);
    void *dlsym (void *handle, __const char *name) {
    //fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: dlsym(0x%016llx, \"%s\")\n", (unsigned long long)((uintptr_t)handle), name);
    if(name && strcmp(name, "dlsym")==0) {
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: redirecting dlsym\n");
    return dlsym;
    }
    if(name && strcmp(name, "glXGetProcAddressARB")==0) {
    void *h = __libc_dlsym(handle, "glXGetProcAddressARB");
    if(h && !_real_glXGetProcAddressARB)
    _real_glXGetProcAddressARB = h;
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: redirecting glXGetProcAddressARB\n");
    return glXGetProcAddressARB;
    }
    if(name && strcmp(name, "glGetIntegerv")==0) {
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: redirecting glGetIntegerv\n");
    return glGetIntegerv;
    }
    return __libc_dlsym(handle, name);
    }

static void GLAPIENTRY (*_real_glGetIntegerv)( GLenum pname, GLint *params );
    static volatile int _was_initialized = 0;

static void _initialize() {
    if(_was_initialized)
    return;
    _real_glGetIntegerv = _real_glXGetProcAddressARB((const GLubyte*)"glGetIntegerv");
    _was_initialized = 1;
    }

static void clamp_int(GLint *v, GLint max) {
    if(*v > max)
    *v = max;
    }

GLAPI void GLAPIENTRY glGetIntegerv( GLenum pname, GLint *params ) {
    if(!_was_initialized)
    _initialize();

//fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: glGetIntegerv(%d, <..>)\n", (int)pname);
    _real_glGetIntegerv(pname, params);

if(pname == GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS) {
    clamp_int(params, 1024);
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: %d\n", *params);
    }
    if(pname == GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS) {
    clamp_int(params, 1024);
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: %d\n", *params);
    }
    if(pname == GL_MAX_GEOMETRY_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS) {
    clamp_int(params, 1024);
    fprintf(stderr, "JACHOR: GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: %d\n", *params);
    }
    }
    Run the following command from your terminal window:
    gcc -m32 -fPIC -shared -o libAMD-Fix.so amd-fix.c
    Then add this command to the beginning of your launcher's command string for Star Trek Online:
    LD_PRELOAD=/home/[PATH TO]libAMD-Fix.so
    Don't forget to enable UseGLSL if you have it set to disabled.

Finally - enjoy Star Trek Online as it was meant to be played! :D
    edited March 2011
    Hello,

I re-installed ubuntu and had some problems loading, it kept getting stuck at the "loading" screen

Here is what I did to fix it

Installed the latest nvidia drivers

Installed the latest wine from the wine ppa (see my previous post)

Then ran winecfg clicked on "libraries"

Under "new override for library"

Select mmdevapi

Click on "edit" then disable

I'm pretty sure the mmdevapi thing fixes this I enabled it to check, then I couldn't login again, as always trial and error!

From there it takes a little while to get to the game, but eventually it makes it. Hope this helps someone when googling for this.

Just a P.S. Cryptic, I am a Star Trek lover, and having to do all of these work arounds is to play your wonderful game is pretty annoying, please please please release a linux client!
    edited May 2011
    Last time i was here the game wouldn't patch for me so i abandoned Ubuntu and went back to windows.
    Now i am back with openSUSE and have a similar problem. The Submit button on the first screen of the launcher wont work. I input username and password, press submit and... nothing happens. i have followed every advice, checking for contradictions on the web and a dozen or so different tutorials all on separate wine configs.
    I must have installed and uninstalled wine, POL, STO and winetricks like a dozen times now. Please i need some help to get the patcher or a way to patch without the launcher. I am confident all the rest will work flawlessly after that.
    Notice: Haven't found that kind of problem anywhere i have used any possible method and potential solution. I am at this now for a total of 4 days.

openSUSE 11.4 x64
    Wine 1.3 x64 , x32 (Tried both)
    winetricks : Corefonts, D3dx9, ie6, ie7,ie8
    POL : corefonts, ie7, ie6
    Tried launching STO from POL same result.
    Also at startup the famous white window doesn't pop up but ie7 works flawlessly when launched from POL

Come on guys... Star Trek fans + MMO players + Linux users how much Nerdier can we get. If we cant find a solution none can.
    edited May 2011
    Strange, i've been using this for Mac since he came out with it and apart from the ESD bug it's worked great for me. I make sure i updated the Wineskin and i'm fine.
    edited May 2011
    crazygreek wrote: »
    openSUSE 11.4 x64
    Wine 1.3 x64 , x32 (Tried both)
    winetricks : Corefonts, D3dx9, ie6, ie7,ie8
    POL : corefonts, ie7, ie6
    Tried launching STO from POL same result.
    Also at startup the famous white window doesn't pop up but ie7 works flawlessly when launched from POL

Come on guys... Star Trek fans + MMO players + Linux users how much Nerdier can we get. If we cant find a solution none can.

My first guess would be too many ie versions installed but can't say for sure. I have had success by just installing wine from more up to date repository than what ubuntu provided and then installing via winetricks only corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

Only thing with my install is that first an Internet Explorer window pops up and once I close that the launcher comes. However, pushing submit after entering the password takes a bit of time now and then. :) It does work though.

Need to try how things go with Fedora soon as I reinstalled my second desktop to that instead of Ubuntu. Somehow Ubuntu Unity just brought way too many issues for my liking to my daily computer usage.
    edited May 2011
    jpalko wrote: »
    My first guess would be too many ie versions installed but can't say for sure. I have had success by just installing wine from more up to date repository than what ubuntu provided and then installing via winetricks only corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

Tried that for some days now. no improvement but i am increasingly certain that its all because of the ie since the infamous white window doesn't pop up. Any ideas on how to bypass the launcher and patch the game by other means ?
    edited August 2011
    Hello,

I have a problem, when I look around with the mouse, the camera rotates faster around the char.

Someone has the same problem or knows someone a solution?

regards,

ichbinder
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys

Been a long time windows user but lately decided its time to have a play with Linux so i install Ubuntu 11.04 and must admit I'm having fun with it.

I was able to install wine and winetricks without issues and even managed to get winetricks to install corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

I then proceeded to install STO and that went with out a hitch which was surprising :)

When the install had finished i fired up STO and logged in and let the game patch, only problem i had was no patching progress text and the patch button bug i read about.

After every thing had patched and i got into the game i proceeded to the video options and maxed everything out like with my Windows install. this is when i noticed the terrible fps and even after turning everything down to lowest it wasn't that much better.

I have the current NVidia driver active and think i did everything right., i can get into game but it just has horrid fps.

Could anyone give me any pointers in improving the fps (I have no fps issues on me windows install) or any further config i missed that i need to do?

I was able to get WoW up and running without issues (great fps) on ubuntu 8.10 i think it was then i stopped playing WoW and with ubuntu for a while ago before i came to STO, probably a fluke lol.

Please bear in mind I'm very much a Linux nub :) but am enjoying the experience.

Thanks in advance
    edited August 2011
    Harpz wrote: »

I was able to install wine and winetricks without issues and even managed to get winetricks to install corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

I then proceeded to install STO and that went with out a hitch which was surprising :)

How did you get ie7 to install? I just installed Natty and it keeps poping up with errors. Im running this on the 64bit build (4x AMD Athlon II Black Edition Asus Xtreme board and 4gb).

I cant find any info on 64bit version of IE running with Wine. Im hoping you have some advice for me on this. :)
    edited August 2011
    All I was run and it did the rest for me:

wintricks ie7
    edited September 2011
    ichbinder wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a problem, when I look around with the mouse, the camera rotates faster around the char.

Someone has the same problem or knows someone a solution?

regards,

ichbinder

Try running your video settings as Windowed - Maximize, exit the game, then reload it.
    edited September 2011
    Here's a post I made in another thread that explains my setup and how I got it working:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3758292&postcount=4
    edited September 2011
    So guys, thanks to all the awesome advice in this thread I've managed to get STO up and running in wine on my rather shoddy Ubuntu 11.04 machine - true I have to run it on the lowest settings, but it works and I've managed to play through the tutorial. However, I'm having one MAJOR issue that I cannot resolve and it makes space flight near impossible and ground work much more difficult - every time I move the camera, even slightly, my avatar spins wildly out of control, for anywhere from half a second to two or three seconds. Usually the home key resets it straight away and I can continue, but sometimes I have to 'home' it twice or three times. I've tried two different mice, one wireless, one wired and optical, and I've tried just using the trackpad on my laptop. Zoom function works fine (as long as I don't knock the mouse or stray too far from the edge of the trackpad), but moving the camera at all causes this problems.

If anyone has come across this before or has any suggestion as to how I can fix this, I would really really appreciate it. It's breaking my geeky little heart.
    edited September 2011
    Pharsti wrote:
    Here's a post I made in another thread that explains my setup and how I got it working:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3758292&postcount=4

Thanks for the info. I would not be able to do it on my current Linux netbook but the next time I buy a laptop, I will try it. Next time, I will probably buy an ASUS rather than Alienware (Dell). The hardware is great but if you have a problem with it, Dell tech support is a nightmare.
    edited September 2011
    rexpop wrote: »
    So guys, thanks to all the awesome advice in this thread I've managed to get STO up and running in wine on my rather shoddy Ubuntu 11.04 machine - true I have to run it on the lowest settings, but it works and I've managed to play through the tutorial. However, I'm having one MAJOR issue that I cannot resolve and it makes space flight near impossible and ground work much more difficult - every time I move the camera, even slightly, my avatar spins wildly out of control, for anywhere from half a second to two or three seconds. Usually the home key resets it straight away and I can continue, but sometimes I have to 'home' it twice or three times. I've tried two different mice, one wireless, one wired and optical, and I've tried just using the trackpad on my laptop. Zoom function works fine (as long as I don't knock the mouse or stray too far from the edge of the trackpad), but moving the camera at all causes this problems.

If anyone has come across this before or has any suggestion as to how I can fix this, I would really really appreciate it. It's breaking my geeky little heart.

Try going in to your video settings and setting it to display it Windows - Maximized. Then close STO completely, then open it back up, log back in, and see if it behaves. I had that same problem, too, and this was how I worked around it. Notice that since it's running in Windows mode, if you move the mouse to the top-right of the screen, you'll see controls to "shrink" or minimize the window. Accidentally clicking these can cause the camera to act up again, so be aware and be careful. If it does start TRIBBLE up again, completely close out of STO and open it back up. That should do it (or, at least, that's what worked for me)
    edited September 2011
    Let me know if that fixed it for you, rexpop
    edited October 2011
    Just wanted to add my info in case it helps out.

Running Ubuntu Studio 11.04 64-bit with Wine 1.2.2 with nVidia 270.41.06 drivers.

Using winetricks, I installed DX9 and 10 files, .net framework 2.0 and 3.0, VC++ 2005 and 2008 runtimes, and IE7 (haven't tried IE8 yet). I don't know if the game needs all of those, but my other apps use them.

So far, things are running fine. The only issues I've noticed so far are:

Launcher Patch/Engage button doesn't change status. However, the window title area shows the patch status, so it still works ok.

Running in fullscreen or windows maximized both work identically for me.

I have my video settings on maximum for quality. The advanced settings don't give my access to everything I had access to under Windows 7, but the graphics still look very good. Although, some of the flashiness is toned down, but that's ok. It looks like it's the bloom that's not 'blooming', but I don't like bloom anyway.

The camera movement seems faster, but it's stable.

So far I'm very pleased with it.
    edited January 2012
    Anybody get the microphone working for in-game audio chat under WINE?
    edited January 2012
    Anybody get the microphone working for in-game audio chat under WINE?

I haven't yet. Sorry!
    edited January 2012
    Only been using Linux a few days so was wondering if I could get a little help.

I've managed to get STO installed easily enough on Mint11 but when I get to the launcher I have no way to change the account type from Perfect World to Cryptic. Clicking those options with the mouse has no effect. Any suggestions?
    edited January 2012
    For those of you who don't have the game and don't have/want windows, I was able to use this installer to install the Launcher and am now downloading the game through the launcher.

If this helps even one other Linux user, I'll be happy. :)

I do hope, however, that PW/Cryptic eventually hosts a new Torrent.

--arekdorun
    edited February 2012
    Only been using Linux a few days so was wondering if I could get a little help.

I've managed to get STO installed easily enough on Mint11 but when I get to the launcher I have no way to change the account type from Perfect World to Cryptic. Clicking those options with the mouse has no effect. Any suggestions?
    If you're still having this problem, use winetricks to install IE8, (shudder) that fixed the problem for me.

My current problem is getting sound in STO under wine. I run mint 12 and wine 1.3.28. I have the mmdevapi workaround, but it hasn't helped. Anyone else running similar settings and getting sound?
This discussion has been closed.