test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should the Console clicking for the officer daily be removed?

Comments

• kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I believe it'll be a part of the big season 7 release. I'd prefer it sooner, but as long as we get it, I'll take it.

Anyways, if they remove the console clicking, eh, ok. It's an exploit, I won't deny it, just means less logging into all my other lesser alts and less dilithium being made each day for me. I'll use it, and I admit it, until the day they turn it off, or alter it to not allow the single click missions.

I actually dont see it as an exploit (now anyways) due to the doff pack req changes....means ill still have 440 dil after i do it and grab an officer pack....ugg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I believe it'll be a part of the big season 7 release. I'd prefer it sooner, but as long as we get it, I'll take it.

Anyways, if they remove the console clicking, eh, ok. It's an exploit, I won't deny it, just means less logging into all my other lesser alts and less dilithium being made each day for me. I'll use it, and I admit it, until the day they turn it off, or alter it to not allow the single click missions.

I think its only an exploit if you use it as an exploit - like having 40 alts and running just this on all those alts. I could see Crytpic imagining this becomeing a HUGE problem with the new system where you don't have to log out to switch characters.
  • koyejakoyeja Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    I think its only an exploit if you use it as an exploit - like having 40 alts and running just this on all those alts. I could see Crytpic imagining this becomeing a HUGE problem with the new system where you don't have to log out to switch characters.

No offense but the more threads I see of yours, the more I doubt that you are a "real" player.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Why do you even care, I can see this really hurting new players and not you.

I heard there are professional posters who post more than they play
    I can also tell some people really like trolling the forums and posting stuff that makes people mad.

I just hope people can see a troll thread for what it is and even that someone might work for Cryptic

That a thread might be a feeler post to see how the people will react to an idea.

Like finding ways to reduce Dilithium so people will have buy more or grind for months,

How funny that the poster above mine had the same thought, it was posted while I was writing this.
    download.jpg
    edited November 2012
    Why do you even care, I can see this really hurting new players and not you.

I heard there are professional posters who post more than they play
    I can also tell some people really like trolling the forums and posting stuff that makes people mad.

I just hope people can see a troll thread for what it is and even that someone might work for Cryptic

That a thread might be a feeler post to see how the people will react to an idea.

Like finding ways to reduce Dilithium so people will have buy more or grind for months,

How funny that the poster above mine had the same thought, it was posted while I was writing this.

That's kind of funny - I think it's just the opposite - every time I post a thread that makes some waves it goes around Crytpc office like this "Oh TRIBBLE what has that crazy guy levi3 got up to now!" Some of them even comment on my threads from time to time - and Brandon and the Community Mods keep my bi-polar disorder in check as much as possible.:eek: You two might just be catching me on my rah rah Pro-Cryptic swing lately - I do go back and forth you know.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012

But then again, ask yourself this, how many players have 7 or more alts? They are few and far between. Its not really an exploit even if you have 40+ toons and even use it for the daily only. You still have to work for it. As I stated before it takes a minimum of 4hrs to run through it with at least 39 toons.

Whether it takes you a min or 8hrs to complete a task, its still work to do. I personally feel that clicking on your daily and getting it over helps to earn some Dilithium, and gives you more time to focus on more important matters, like Doff'ing etc...

I play the foundry missions alot due to the lack of content in this game, so I get the benefit from that as well. So it doesn't effect legitimate foundry missions whatsoever.

If there is to be some change, let be from the foundry files themselves and not the rewards. However; keep in mind I really don't like it when CRYPTIC dictate a Foundry Author's creative freedom. Quick Foundry missions (Not referring to the faming ones), but quick foundry missions that are like 4 to 5 minutes long to complete helps to maintain a fluidic episode. I like the long ones from time to time, but make them too long and I lose interest quick.

The thing is, Foundry authors already have to deal with limitations, why give them more limitations just because a few players hate the ESD console, and cry foul because others use it.

What is it to you? It's not hurting you in anyway. Why is it bother you? There are bigger fish to fry and that need immediate attention, case in point the grinding hell that is season 7

Changes to the Academy doff packs

Having to BUY end game items from STO version of a dungeon / when most MMO give them for free for your hard work.

The list goes on in issues that are of the outmost importance, yet we whine about a silly console over at ESD and cry foul.

If we're to get rid of things that earn dilithium:

1) They already nerfed the STF Dilithium reward to hell / HECK- why not get rid of the Dilithium all together.

2) Reduce even more the mining event reward or just make it to earn fleet marks

3) The exploration daily (Another so call exploit) Pick up the easy diplomatic mission for delta (one mission down 2 to go) and do 2 more simple ones "whalla" - instant Dilithium in a matter of 10minutes top.

Get rid of that too - let it earn just exp, marks, and diplo points (remove the D)

4) the easy freighter mission over at Eta Eridani - with top gear you can wipe the True way mob in a matter of seconds - Nerf the Dilithium reward all together, heck remove it.

5) same with the rest of the other small missions over at ETA.

I can go on and on, on how folks with alts can exploit all of these in a matter of minutes, so if we're a afraid of a few players that have many alts and possible exploits than they ought to remove all these easy D missions.

Don't even get me started on how easy a Defari run is, and that will net you more Dilithium than the simple ESD console.

As I stated, removing the Daily officer reward or even modifying it will do more harm to the Casual gamers of this game, and will alter the economy of the game. Very few players own the same amount of alts that I do, and even with that, I can't comprehend someone standing at a console for hours on end just for a few dilitihum. That is if those who do, probably have too much time in their hands.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited November 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    But then again, ask yourself this, how many players have 7 or more alts? They are few and far between. Its not really an exploit even if you have 40+ toons and even use it for the daily only. You still have to work for it. As I stated before it takes a minimum of 4hrs to run through it with at least 39 toons.

Whether it takes you a min or 8hrs to complete a task, its still work to do. I personally feel that clicking on your daily and getting it over helps to earn some Dilithium, and gives you more time to focus on more important matters, like Doff'ing etc...

I play the foundry missions alot due to the lack of content in this game, so I get the benefit from that as well. So it doesn't effect legitimate foundry missions whatsoever.

If there is to be some change, let be from the foundry files themselves and not the rewards. However; keep in mind I really don't like it when CRYPTIC dictate a Foundry Author's creative freedom. Quick Foundry missions (Not referring to the faming ones), but quick foundry missions that are like 4 to 5 minutes long to complete helps to maintain a fluidic episode. I like the long ones from time to time, but make them too long and I lose interest quick.

The thing is, Foundry authors already have to deal with limitations, why give them more limitations just because a few players hate the ESD console, and cry foul because others use it.

What is it to you? It's not hurting you in anyway. Why is it bother you? There are bigger fish to fry and that need immediate attention, case in point the grinding hell that is season 7

Changes to the Academy doff packs

Having to BUY end game items from STO version of a dungeon / when most MMO give them for free for your hard work.

The list goes on in issues that are of the outmost importance, yet we whine about a silly console over at ESD and cry foul.

If we're to get rid of things that earn dilithium:

1) They already nerfed the STF Dilithium reward to hell / HECK- why not get rid of the Dilithium all together.

2) Reduce even more the mining event reward or just make it to earn fleet marks

3) The exploration daily (Another so call exploit) Pick up the easy diplomatic mission for delta (one mission down 2 to go) and do 2 more simple ones "whalla" - instant Dilithium in a matter of 10minutes top.

Get rid of that too - let it earn just exp, marks, and diplo points (remove the D)

4) the easy freighter mission over at Eta Eridani - with top gear you can wipe the True way mob in a matter of seconds - Nerf the Dilithium reward all together, heck remove it.

5) same with the rest of the other small missions over at ETA.

I can go on and on, on how folks with alts can exploit all of these in a matter of minutes, so if we're a afraid of a few players that have many alts and possible exploits than they ought to remove all these easy D missions.

Don't even get me started on how easy a Defari run is, and that will net you more Dilithium than the simple ESD console.

As I stated, removing the Daily officer reward or even modifying it will do more harm to the Casual gamers of this game, and will alter the economy of the game. Very few players own the same amount of alts that I do, and even with that, I can't comprehend someone standing at a console for hours on end just for a few dilitihum. That is if those who do, probably have too much time in their hands.

All good feedback. Perhaps if something like this thread were around regarding the changes made to dilth rewards in the other areas like STF - before it happened - there would have been better results.
    edited November 2012
    ... every time I post a thread that makes some waves it goes around Crytpc office like this "Oh TRIBBLE what has that crazy guy levi3 got up to now!" Some of them even comment on my threads from time to time - and Brandon and the Community Mods keep my bi-polar disorder in check as much as possible.:eek: You two might just be catching me on my rah rah Pro-Cryptic swing lately - I do go back and forth you know.

Don't fool yourself, you're NOT that important that the CRYPTIC staff or the Mods jump hoops over your threads and posting, they simply comment on matters that relate to the game and not you per se. So don't get full of yourself.

You brought a legitmate subject to the table, but that does not mean your are the "to go guy" on all things STO or someone that CRYPTIC rely on these forums.

Get over your so called "Bi Polar Posting methods," it's not original and it makes you look like a fool talking in such term. You are just another poster like me and everyone else on these forums, so get off your high horse.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited November 2012
    Don't fool yourself, you're NOT that important that the CRYPTIC staff or the Mods jump hoops over your threads and posting, they simply comment on matters that relate to the game and not you per se. So don't get full of yourself.

You brought a legitmate subject to the table, but that does not mean your are the "to go guy" on all things STO or someone that CRYPTIC rely on these forums.

Get over your so called "Bi Polar Posting methods," it's not original and it makes you look like a fool talking in such term. You are just another poster like me and everyone else on these forums, so get off your high horse.

I think you are reading a bit too much into my post - it was more of a exaggerated tongue and cheek response to the 2 prior posters saying that I "work for Cryptic" and am not a "real" player.
    edited November 2012
    I think you are reading a bit too much into my post - it was more of a exaggerated tongue and cheek response to the 2 prior posters saying that I "work for Cryptic" and am not a "real" player.

Fair enough, my apologies if thats the case.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    B

Going on the Deferi thing as well, Rescue Deferi Captives is basically a latinum-to-dilithium converter if you have the GPL to spare. (not hard to get with DOFF missions, especially for KDF side) After all, 1,000 GPL a day becomes an easy 480 dilithium.

And while it is only an exploit in a way if you use it as such, the thing about not having to log out to switch toons will change nothing honestly. It'll just make things more smooth for ALL players, not just people who are farming on toons. Even if they never added that feature into Holodeck, people would still go on doing it right as they are now.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited November 2012
    Fair enough, my apologies if thats the case.

Accepted, and it was the case.
    edited November 2012
    And while it is only an exploit in a way if you use it as such, the thing about not having to log out to switch toons will change nothing honestly. It'll just make things more smooth for ALL players, not just people who are farming on toons. Even if they never added that feature into Holodeck, people would still go on doing it right as they are now.

I agree, whether you switch toons with ease or have to continue to type in your login info, it will not matter at all.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    With the 1 click missions there are some on ESD that only take 5 min as you go to 3 different consoles and click those instead.

So were do you draw the line that on mission length or mission content is going round 3 consoles and tapping them ok for the extra minute it would be. I suspect when first done was someone practicing with the foundry system and found the happy bonus after. Personally I don't have a problem and use it myself. If you can suggest a viable and balanced alternative then please do. Otherwise stopping this is only going to aggravate players with no effective balance.

In general theres a lot of moaning about dilithium changes in STFs. Personally I think this is to encourage players to try other games aspects. I do think there should be the small (480) reward for succesful fleet events. Although blockade maybe difficult to score. Also it has been said repeatedly about balancing the dilithium requirements for fleet starbases or other aspects of the game. Central issue I think behind the complaints is if reducing the amount of dilithium easily avaliable then reduce the sinkhole effect. If there was less dilithium required in some instances this would balance the smaller rewards made.

As for the block of players who suck up dilithium with as many alts as possible to convert to Zen - they will never be happy unless increasing dilithium as they aren't interested in balance only maximizing what they can get from in-game. For these players and there are some there is no way they are interested in balance and will forever moan.

Overall I think it should stay not only for its actual rewards but also because it opens up the foundry menu, and some titles have looked interesting one day I'll get round to trying some (and have done a few in the past). Which isn't that the point of the investigate officer reports to promote interest for work done by players.
  • tigliontiglion Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As a new player, my opinions may not count for much, but here goes... Let them stay for now. To me, as one who is building a character, learning the game, and trying to understand it all, this comes as a nice, reliable source for Dilithium. (Once I found out about it) :cool:

I have yet to reach endgame status, so most of the acronyms, and references to gear etc. are lost to me. But during my few weeks since I started, I have found that the game isn't just limited to just the four forms of currency, Energy Credits, Dilithium, Gold-Pressed Latnium (I think I spelled that right), and ZEN. Dilithium, however, is the only one that I have found that is capped as a daily earning, refine 8000 a day. Except you vet, or lifers out there, you can get 9000. Still, regardless how much ore I get, which I can't spend, I can only gain 8000 refined Dilithium a day. Not impressive to me when I can get nearly 100,000 EC at my current rank in 2 runs of the Tour the Galaxy in an hour. (Yeah, I'm slow, I know it.) :rolleyes:

Some folks are talking about what if players have more than few characters, and want to spend hours switching characters and just grabbing 1440 Dilithium real quick. That's fine by me, let them. While they are switching chars for hours, I'll be out there playing the game, having fun. :D

By the way, after a couple days of doing the click missions, I kept seeing a title pop up when I first opened the Authored tab. I finally played it, and must say I enjoyed myself. Took all of 45 minutes because I read everything, but it was well done. So if you find you have some downtime between whatever, give "A Will and a Barclay" a try. ;)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I don't think threads get passed around the office unless they contain a great idea and only a handful of devs know the posters by name.

That said, I think a handful of devs do keep track of names here and that there's probably several dozen of us who various devs would wish into the cornfield. However, the funny thing about that is that by the time you hit that point, there's generally another dev or two who would hire you for the same reasons that you drive the other devs crazy.
  • willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jackdonner wrote: »
    I will bet that the Foundry "Officer Reports" missions are gone, or somehow nerfed at the launch of season 7.

Just my prediction..

Then I'll predict a lot of players will follow suit (and be gone -- leave the game).

With the S7 dilithium "tax" on Duty Officer exchanges and other dilithium sinks being added to the game, I see a disturbing trend by the developers that I don't like.

I've been a gold subscriber since launch day (uninterrupted, just hit 1000 the old fashioned way, not by paying to be grandfathered in during the recent sale) and have rarely complained about anything the devs have done. Until S7.

I really wanted to make it to the third year anniversary in Feb 2013 but things are looking bleak at present.
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Going on the Deferi thing as well, Rescue Deferi Captives is basically a latinum-to-dilithium converter if you have the GPL to spare. (not hard to get with DOFF missions, especially for KDF side) After all, 1,000 GPL a day becomes an easy 480 dilithium.

:eek: DUDE! You don't have to give them latinum!!! Chose the other options and you scam the Breen out of the Deferi captives!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I love how 1/2 the forums are complaining about loosing Dilithium sources (like STF) and others are complaining about an easy find for dilithium. Let them stay, I don't see them hurting anything.
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    :eek: DUDE! You don't have to give them latinum!!! Chose the other options and you scam the Breen out of the Deferi captives!
    I think the second option is only available if you have the diplomatic background. It's been awhile so I dont recall 100% if thats the case.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    joenatl wrote: »
    I think the second option is only available if you have the diplomatic background. It's been awhile so I dont recall 100% if thats the case.

I've always had the option to do the pulse, but then I did grind out max Diplo way back when it first came out.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I know, just was mentioning how you can turn latinum potentially into dilithium, that's all.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • wargibbonwargibbon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    NO NO NO! Don't even think of removing this option. With the dil nerfs as they already are in S7, soon there won't be anyway at all to get dil without paying for it using zen via a credit card. This game already has way too much grinding as it is, and if you really truly madly deeply want to drive people away, this will do it. It will kill off all the small fleets in one swoop, which is maybe Cryptics intention, who knows. Leave it in please, do not remove!!! :mad:
    Founder of the 3rd Foot & Mouth Federation Fleet. Join today!

The Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!
    Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!
    The Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No, leave them. We need at least one quick method way to make a small amount of dilithium per day. Not everyone has a lot of time to play games you know. I work 15+ hours/weekday and several hours on the weekend - if it wasn't for the quick & easy dailies I'd never acquire any dilithium and my small fleet's starbase would still be just a disgusting looking hulk.

What purpose would removing them actually serve the gamers? Those who don't use them will continue not to use them; those who count on them as the only means to acquire any dilithium daily will be severely crippled in their starbase building.

Taking them away will not force those players to spend time they simply do not have. It will only hurt them without reason.

To PW: make a game fun and people will enjoy it and spend $. Make it a PIA and those people will find something else to do and you'll lose $. Simple psycho-economics 101. Making such changes to existing dilithium costs (like the DOffs upgrades) and taking away clickers is not adding content; nor is it making the game more fun. It's nothing more than punishing your customers for no reason. It's like selling the same size bags of chips at the same price but are now half-empty. You'll still have some people not realizing what is going on, but the wise people will quickly purchase something else.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am of two minds here.

I have used the "Quickies" on several occassions to get some quick Dilithium, so I say keep it.

However, I don't believe that the rationale for the Investigate Officer daily was to be a quick source of dilithum, I believe it was an attempt to drive more players to the foundry. There are some incredible missions out there... and my hat goes off to these authors.. they spend many hours creating excellent content.

I do think that the reward should be greater for those missions that the Foundry authors have invested many many hours in building. With the constant need for dilithium, I don't believe these longer missions are getting their fair share of play time. Which is what I believed the Investigate Officer Daily was meant to encourage.

Similar to the Spotlight missions... Foundry missions could be tested, and if found worthy award their own dilithium for successful complethion?

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited November 2012
    Although this feedback is great the sad part is that they will do whatever they decide fits their "plan"

I have a bad feeling that by nerfing the other dilth methods this quasi-exploit is going to become a "full-blown-alt-infested-exploit-of-epic-proportions" after season 7 launches
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Although this feedback is great the sad part is that they will do whatever they decide fits their "plan"

I have a bad feeling that by nerfing the other dilth methods this quasi-exploit is going to become a "full-blown-alt-infested-exploit-of-epic-proportions" after season 7 launches

Serves them right for stacking things against people in small fleets who don't have 18 hours a day to devote to this. I don't feel the least bit guilty.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No it should not.

Especially with the STF Dili nerfs AND even more things that cost Dili.

Are you trying to help Cryptic force us to buy Zen for our Dili?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Exploit? It is foundry users being creative, a Jim Kirk solution to a Kobayashi Maru situation for some casual players who frankly don't have the time to play three separate missions for 1440 dilithium.

If you allow people to freedom to be creative don't be critical of what they produce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
    edited November 2012
    Exploit? It is foundry users being creative, a Jim Kirk solution to a Kobayashi Maru situation for some casual players who frankly don't have the time to play three separate missions for 1440 dilithium.

If you allow people to freedom to be creative don't be critical of what they produce.

If you read all my post I am actually for leaving it in place. Cryptic is well aware of this quasi-exploit. I know several players, one with 60 alts that this is all they do + the lore to make more than 100K dilth a day. While they still might be the minority, come season 7 and the - well lets just call them interesting - changes to dilth grinding - this could become a full on massive exploit.

I think it would be better to talk about it and the neverwinter system that I am sure Mr Stahl is aware of - before this also gets hit with the nerf bat.