test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should the Console clicking for the officer daily be removed?

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
Neverwinter is working on a system where rewards are based on time invested. Do you guys think this should be the system here - and remove the console clickers?

http://tavernugc.com/neverwinter-dev-post-round-up/

It seems likely a further rework of dilth rewards is now more possible then when I first asked this question before the new changes coming in season 7 were released.
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Neverwinter is working on a system where rewards are based on time invested. Do you guys think this should be the system here - and remove the console clickers?

http://tavernugc.com/neverwinter-dev-post-round-up/

It seems likely a further rework of dilth rewards is now more possible then when I first asked this question before the new changes coming in season 7 were released.

The honest answer? I'm not sure. It's complicated, all the while there's been valid ways of getting Dilithium I'd have said no, but with Dilithium becoming harder to get a I kind of want to say TRIBBLE it...
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think:

A) Wait until a better Foundry system is in place.

B) Reassign these rewards to the Fleet Starbase daily, which are aenemic by comparison.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    The honest answer? I'm not sure. It's complicated, all the while there's been valid ways of getting Dilithium I'd have said no, but with Dilithium becoming harder to get a I kind of want to say TRIBBLE it...

No!

This game will not be around for the 10 years my 2-person fleet would take to build up that fleet base. At least don't change it until I buy my Fleet Defiant. ;)
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They should remove the daily, yes.
    Only when you can add actual rewards to the game though.
    Maybe only for the spotlight mission?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited October 2012
    I'll add, I think as a casual game, having a means of getting 1440-2000 dilithium per day in a matter of minutes per character is good.

This actually supports having alts and logging in daily for a bit of play. (Not unlike DCU's Funhouse daily.)

In general, I don't think dilithium should be time based in the sense that all time rewards it equally but should come in a big upfront chunk, with diminishing returns on more time played. And if you have that solidly in place, the refinement cap can go up or be eliminated.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Some interesting ideas. Somehow I think some of neverwinter's system will migrate over to STO.
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, upon reflection and checking back up on some facebook games, I'd say this is what makes the most sense:

Everything awards ore.

Allow up to 500 refinement. 5 minute cooldown.

Add means of reducing the cooldown through accolades/commendation categories/etc.

Sell stacks of 10 items that refresh the cooldown for large amounts of EC and/or Fleet Marks. (There's bound to be a surplus of marks at some tiers.)
  • jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I will bet that the Foundry "Officer Reports" missions are gone, or somehow nerfed at the launch of season 7.

Just my prediction..
    edited October 2012
    I'd add:

Maybe have dilithium refinement trigger a lower cooldown if activated from a contact on the ship interior.
  • tvlartvlar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Are they compatible ?
    STO seems to be working on a system where Rewards will be based on Zen invested.

Personally, I couldn't care less what they do with the clickers.. the Sn 7 REAL issue is with the dilithium sinks.
    I've used the clickers, as I and a friend leveled a Starbase up to just short of the basic Tier3 ( Military 3, Eng 2, Sci 2 ). The only thing stopping us from going Tier 3 is the 648 K Dilithium. I was looking at just buying the Zen to convert to Dil, and throwing in the fish tanks as a celebration item for getting that far with only 2 of us. Once it became evident that Sn 7 is built around that type of thinking, making the buying of Zen less an option, and more a necessity to get ahead, I froze any further Zen purchases, pending a look at what Sn 7 really looks like.

So, no, the clickers are not the issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd add:

Maybe have dilithium refinement trigger a lower cooldown if activated from a contact on the ship interior.

I like the spirit of this idea.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't use them, so I'm fine with them being removed. However, I don't want to be left with only 1-2 hour missions as options. As long as we can still get the rewards running missions like the Nagus dailies (which are comparable to the Breen and EE dailies) then I'm fine with it.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    it is clearly an exploit how it is used now

so yes it should have been removed a long long time ago

by now the playerbase got used to it and feels entitled to having this easy dil button in the game.

Whatever Cryptic does now to change it will produce a huge ****storm.

also looking at what they do to STFs and DOffs, i can't imagine that there is any major overview that takes everything into account.

The hardest and most challenging content gets the short end, nobody will bother with STFs for Dilithium any longer, after S7 and the #1 daily exploit even gets 50 Fleetmarks added on top of it?

Something is going very wrong in Cryptic decision making process.

Personally, i would WANT a Reputation System for the foundry, with it's own unique rewards and the Dilithium payouts should be appropriate to the time spend in Foundry Missions.

If they want a 2000 dilithium daily just for logging in, which i am in no way opposed to!
    Then they should make that a official thing and not just some accepted / ignored for too long exploit.
    They could just make it easier on Federation side to get Contraband, so everybody can do the contraband turn ins rather regularly, instead of just the players who have dedicated Klingons for Marauding.

In my eyes the Dilithium Economy has failed big time, Season 7 will only make it worse.
    Known Exploits are allowed to stay, and the real Endgame content gets its incentive to play removed? Who is making these decisions?
    (and adding Dilithium to the first 3 places in Fleetactions will not make me play that boring old content again either).

But getting that MACO HELMET will be easier for the players who did not bother to play enough STFs yet? So... we all should be happy about that, right? RIGHT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They can crack down on the clickies just as soon as they put in a reasonable replacement for the Foundry wrapper. I don't mind that there are one or two hour long Foundry missions. Most of the good ones are fairly long. But when you have to do three of those, for the same dilithium payoff of some 20 to 30 minutes in any random starcluster, it gets iffy. Especially with the growing number of uses/need for dilithium.

And clickies or no, the reward-minded will always strive for the biggest reward for the least amount of work. Relieved of their insta-dilithium, they're not going to do three of the really good, hour-long missions. There are non-clicky, quick Foundry missions, combat simulations with about the same number of mobs as a "Investigate Facility" starcluster mission, minus the roaming around for explorable stars, the long corridors and never-ending flight to the far end of the map just to beam down before you can begin.

So until the Neverwinter system is ready to be ported into STO, at best you'll only be able to move the problem sideways a little. Personally I hope it's soon. Especially if this thing is wrapper free, and you can basically play Foundry missions all day and at least feel like you've made some progress, if not as much as doing the grinds. It might make this game fun again. (You know, like the first month, the bits between the bugs.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i actually dont mind having the one click 1440 dil.....the fact that S6 was a HUGE dilth sink and s7 will be even more of a sink is what makes me say keep it here.....yeah you have dil farmers...but honestly, most of my dilth goes into the dilth sinks, before s6 i had no reason to grind dilth...but now i have something to work for with my fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Anything that actually encourages people to log in is good for Cryptic. I dare say that without the foundry daily a lot of people may not even bother logging in on a daily basis.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't see the problem with these things.

STO players are divided into two people:
    1.) Casual players who do a mission or two, refine a little incidental dilithium, then log off.
    2.) Hardcore players who have multiple characters, and refine 8000 dilithium every day on every character.

"Console clickers" don't really affect the casual players, because those players aren't really stressed about maxing their dil every day, and they aren't going to spend more time either way trying to get it. And they don't really affect hardcore players, because no matter how much you grind you can never refine more than 8K per day and the hardcore people are already committed to grinding that.

Taking away the console clicker missions would barely register on the casual's radar, and the hardcore would just be annoyed at the necessity of setting aside another 15 minutes in their grind time.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually, taking away console clickers hurt a group of forced casuals - Casuals that are "casuals" because of RL time constraints. We want to hit 8k every day with about 1 hour of daily playtime, but if it takes too long we get cross because now that we're taking so long the wife aggros.

Think of it as a RL eSTF every time we log on...

The 8k limit should stay or be dropped further. But the ability to earn ore should not be hurt. Its more ethical to hurt everyone by the same but smaller amount than just hurt 1 small group.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are other fairly easy ways to get dilithium. I would like the clickies to stay, because i don't always want to play foundry missions (i like creating them but playing them is another problem); one per week is more than enough for me, and getting the reward is a nice bonus. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • relizarrarasrelizarraras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Leave them as they are. No one is getting harmed by them.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    These console clicker missions provide an incentive for a lot of players to log in daily at a relatively insignificant bump in Dil in comparison to present and future Dil requirements. Take them away and a LOT of people suddenly have no "specific" reason to log in every day. After all, they don't necessarily NEED to run STFs or Doff everyday... then that becomes no need to log in for 2 days in a row and before you know it they haven't logged in for a week and have found something else they like to do.

The console clickers are a fantastic method of player retention, honestly I don't think Cryptic could've come up with something better on their own.

Nevermind they also serve to make store items seem less overpriced. Its a mental thing to be sure, but most players believe they WILL have the discipline to run console clickers long enough to get their shiny. In practice what more often happens is that well before they have anywhere near enough Zen saved up the anticipation gets to be too much and they simply pay the difference. Without the clickers the item might well seem out of reach thru Dil, so mentally the player simply pushes it out of their mind and Cryptic would lose a sale.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was thinking that they should give all max level characters 2000 Dilithium each day automatically! That way I could spend my limited time actually playing instead of doing Officer Daily and SFA Midterm 5 times every day! :D

I don't 'click a console' I scan a rock at SFA. That's much harder to do! ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited November 2012
    Some great feedback guys keep it up. I imagine that this "console clickers" thing has been on their radar for awhile and with the season 7 dilth changes it seems nothing is off the table. Personnally I am for it, even though it can be abused(one guy in my KDF fleet has 60 alts across 2 accounts - doing 60 of these things has got to be mind-numbing - even if is is 90k dilth - 120k with the lore)
    edited November 2012
    Some great feedback guys keep it up. I imagine that this "console clickers" thing has been on their radar for awhile and with the season 7 dilth changes it seems nothing is off the table. Personnally I am for it, even though it can be abused(one guy in my KDF fleet has 60 alts across 2 accounts - doing 60 of these things has got to be mind-numbing - even if is is 90k dilth - 120k with the lore)

I imagine it has since the devs themselves claim to use console clickers.

Like I say, once the Foundry has better rewards, shift the Foundry wrapper rewards over to the Officer of the Watch daily clicker mission.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The truth is that the "Console Clickers" doesn't really hurt anyone or anything, and its a minor issue in the greater scheme of things.

I say do not touch it, sure its an easy Dilithium source, but it benefits more the casual players than it does any other player. The Hardcore players are few and far between, simply because there aren't many folks that own more than 5 to 6 toons.

Here is some numbers:

I own now almost 40+ toons (Alts) - I tried the clicker a few times on them, and I simply couldn't stomach the amount of time it took me to cycle through all my alts.

With 40+ toons, cycling through the click console, it literally took me a little over 4hrs of boredom. I don't have that amount of time in my hands, with family, work, and my daily responsibilities, there is no way I can do it.

I now only do it with 4 or 5 toons and I move on to STFs for Mk XII gear and Dilithium. The only reason I log on to STO now is to farm doff and Dilithium to help my Fleet starbase. Content is scarce, so there really is NO reason to login except farm for my fleet.

I'll be more concern with season 7 Grind heavy updates that will make Dilithium more scarce and will force us to spend more of it. We now have to "PAY" for our end game gear that once dropped for free, and at a huge Dilithium cost - 100k Dilithium for one set, one.

POINT of INTEREST:

In an indirect way, CRYPTIC has effected the "Daily Officer Rewards."

You say how? Let me explain;

The Dilithium reward you get for doing the report can now be used to purchase the Academy doff pack. The nerfing of the FREE Starfleet Academy doff pack is now forcing players to spend Dilithium on those packs.

This effects me, because what little Dilithium I earn from the Daily Officer Report reward will now have to go to buying the Academy doff pack - I have to do this in order to maintain a steady supply of doff that is needed for these starbase Projects. Taking any other venue to earn Dilithium will take me far too long, and I simply do not have that much time to farm. I only now have at least 4 to 5hrs tops, and that is even "iffy" now.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Some great feedback guys keep it up.

The feedback in this thread is no greater than the last time this same question was posted. What is your motivation for reposting this issue?
    edited November 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    I own now almost 40+ toons (Alts) - I tried the clicker a few times on them, and I simply couldn't stomach the amount of time it took me to cycle through all my alts.

I did the math awhile back and the rate of dilithium-to-ZEN you'd get would be sub-minimum wage and, if anything, would be promoting the game economy.
    edited November 2012
    lillithiae wrote: »
    The feedback in this thread is no greater than the last time this same question was posted. What is your motivation for reposting this issue?

Actually the feedback is different and the last time was before the new dilth system - or as most refer to it as a nerf - was announced. So yeah the conversation about what they might do has definitely changed in people's minds. Given the furor over the dilth changes it is clear no-one expected those kinds of changes. This dilth method so far has not been touched, don't think my bringing up the issue again has made Cryptic go "hey we forgot to nerf that one to", that's not the case.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    look at it this way...once they add the character select option in the menu it will be that much easier to do the officer report daily :D..no more need to constantly log in and out....but they DID show it a few weeks ago...i wonder why they haven't implemented it yet....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    look at it this way...once they add the character select option in the menu it will be that much easier to do the officer report daily :D..no more need to constantly log in and out....but they DID show it a few weeks ago...i wonder why they haven't implemented it yet....

I believe it'll be a part of the big season 7 release. I'd prefer it sooner, but as long as we get it, I'll take it.

Anyways, if they remove the console clicking, eh, ok. It's an exploit, I won't deny it, just means less logging into all my other lesser alts and less dilithium being made each day for me. I'll use it, and I admit it, until the day they turn it off, or alter it to not allow the single click missions.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.