test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    Methos my friend, you are making alot of work for yourself. I dont think a reinstall will matter, I know you dont want to give up but for now I would forget STO and play something else until we hear something concrete. If it wasnt for Mass Effect 2 and 3 and all the replays you can do to affect the game turnout I would be lost. As it is, I have that, and some great Steam summer sale games lined up and GW 2 when it launches cuz I dont think Trek is going to be a viable alternative in the future, I hope I am proven wrong. One thing though, if you have the disc version of the game try instaling from that because it opens the old launcher which then will update with the new one, if it stays open you might possibly be able to log into the game when its done then just leave the game running until the patcher issue is resolved.
    And THIS is exactly why I sooooo miss hard media, as opposed to virtual media!!:( Unfortunately, I don't have a disc version of the game, as I jumped aboard with the free to play launch, in late January.

As for "making alot of work" for myself? Yeah, you're absolutely right man. Absolutely everything on my PC has been running perfectly, with the exception of this STO login/launcher issue. If anything, I very nearly created more system woes, than resolved any, in trying to sort this mess out.

Really, at this point, barring any concrete response from PWEBranflakes and crew or PWE Tech Support, I think I've utterly reached the point where there's nothing more I can do to get back in-game.:(
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I dont know, I suppose for fun I can try to do the disc install myself and see if my assumption is correct, you can get the collectors edition from Amazon now for 19.99 or something, and it gives you the DS9 and TNG uniforms plus the Red Matter Capacitor which doesnt really matter any more with all the other boosts and upgrades.

UPDATE: Interestingly the disc installs the game to C:\ProgramFiles\Cryptic
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is getting beyond an annoyance to a full blown nightmare. Its annoying when most people can get online and we cant.

Wouldn't mind if it was a full blown server hell death but this selective issue is doing my head and making me think whether its worth staying, but I like many have invested way too much real money in to this game and don't really want to leave.

I was going to invest in the Regent but not feeling the vibe now, might get it on the next sale but if I'd been online on patch day I'd have bought it.

Oh well rant over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The reinstall from disc failed too...its stuck on trying to update launcher please be patient........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Last time I did this from disc the launcher popped right up but then i was having other connectivity issues too so maybe that was just luck. Throwing in towel I do not know what else to try.
  • averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i put up a post on my ISP tech support forums and hoping then can try help. I'm just annoyed as I enjoyed STO despite its falws its a nice game worst part is I cant even mail anyone ingame to say I'm trying log in they probably think I just cant be bothered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Alright guys, here's some more info that'll make ya wanna bang your head into a wall!!:mad:

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine, who's been able to log into STO, with no problems at all. He had actually logged in a few hours before our discussion.

Main reason I called him was to compare system setups, specifically with regard to 'Internet Options' in Control Panel. We went into 'Internet Properties', then 'Advanced' and compared our checklists. We discovered that I had two items that had been unchecked: "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" and I can't recall the other item. Yet, I matched my settings to his. Then tried STO again, with no luck. Restarted my system and tried again, to no avail.

We also tested my theory regarding the location of game files and his Cryptic files are located in 'C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios', just like mine.

I've also suspected that the latest Windows Updates might have caused a compatibility problem. Yet, he and I both have the exact same Windows Updates installed (save for our MS Office updates, as he's got Office 2010, while I have Office 2007). Only difference being that his updates were installed on 8/16, whereas mine were installed on 8/14.

So, he's able to connect to STO properly and I'm not. Yet, our systems settings seem to be identical.

I did notice something at PWE's Tech Forum. Some fellow there posted the following: "Ok, I am now trying to access the launcher on my laptop, and it is doing the same thing. UserId doesn't display when opening the launcher and when typing the userID and password and clicking login launcher crashes.
    This is complete different hardward from the machine I listed above. So the only common thing is Windows 7 Ultimate.
    This laptop is a Dual Core, with 4Gb of ram, and nvidia graphic card."

Can't help noticing that that fellow's statement alludes to one difference between my buddy's system and mine. My buddy, who's been able to connect without problems, has Windows 7 Home Edition, 64-bit. Whereas I have Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, like the fellow I just quoted from the PWE Tech Forum.

Wonder if this might have to do with Windows 7 Ultimate????

Also, since I have a direct line to a pal who's able to connect to STO properly, can you guys think of any other settings and such that he and I should also compare?
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    methos71

edited August 2012
    I have 7 Professional, so I do not think its Win7 besides I have played since 2010 on my Win7 machine with no issues up until this May. But it would be interesting nonetheless to see what OS the afflicted are using.
    edited August 2012
    I have 7 Professional, so I do not think its Win7 besides I have played since 2010 on my Win7 machine with no issues up until this May. But it would be interesting nonetheless to see what OS the afflicted are using.
    Hey there Bannon3! Is your version of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit or 32-bit? Not that I'm sure that would matter, as my pal's W7 Home Edition is 64-bit, like my W7 Ultimate.

Only thing I could fathom, if our OS'es have anything to do with this problem, is what commonalities and differences between varying OS'es might be inhibiting our ability to patch and login?

A roll call of our Operating Systems and general overview of our respective systems might be useful in determining if there is any consistent pattern between those of us that have been effected by this problem.

I've got:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Fully Updated)
    Graphics Card: Nvidia/EVGA GeForce 210, 1024MB, DDR3 (Drivers Updated)
    RAM: 4 GB
    Antivirus/Security Programs: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, MS Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (All Updated).
    Internet Service Provider: Brighthouse Networks/Roadrunner of Central Florida, cable modem (no wireless router).
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Its 32bit, 4GB GSKILL Ram, ATI RADEON HD6850, We use Verizon FiOs. Not much else to say but other than to compare stats I dont think any of it is the issue. The problem lies somewhere with Cryptic/PWE and their servers. Funny thing, this all began with Server Not Responding timeouts in game whenever I tried to enter a patrol or enemy confrontation. At the time rebooting the modem seemed to fix it, then after awhile it didn't. then the unable to connect to patcher started and thats been my ordeal for the last 3 months. It all started right after an update, because that Saturday before the Thursday update I was in the game playing fine. I even restored my PC back to a week earlier just in case it was something I had done. I suppose if you wanted to go to extremes you could restore your PC back to Day 1 factory then reinstall STO and see what happens, its possible a Win update messed up something, who knows. In either case Cryptic should be able to give us a workaround to access the launcher, it cant be anything hard.
    edited August 2012
    I even restored my PC back to a week earlier just in case it was something I had done. I suppose if you wanted to go to extremes you could restore your PC back to Day 1 factory then reinstall STO and see what happens, its possible a Win update messed up something, who knows. In either case Cryptic should be able to give us a workaround to access the launcher, it cant be anything hard.
    I actually restored my system back to 8/7/2012 just last night. That had no effect on this issue at all, sadly.

And I'm pretty sure the possibility of the latest batch of Windows Updates being to blame has been negated, as I compared Windows Update records with my pal, who's been able to login to STO, without problems. We both have the exact same updates (only difference being MS Office updates, as I've got MSO '07 and he has MSO '10). All the system and security updates were exactly the same.

And there is no way in Grethor that I'm ever restoring my system back to day 1 factory settings!!!!! No frakking way man!!!:P

Really, my system has been running better than it's ever been since I had some pros solve some trouble last December. If anything, I've been worried that all the tooling around I've been doing, since this past Friday morning, in an effort to resolve this login/launcher problem has potentially done more harm than good.

That said, I really do think, at this point, that any resolution to this problem must come from Cryptic/PWE. It really does seem as though we've all done just about everything that one could fathomably do to resolve this and nothing has worked. Nothing!:(
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Before I built my PC I used to restore my Sony VAIO once a year just to clear out all the corrupted files and clutter, took maybe a few hours after the process to get everything back up to speed. Today with carbonite I suppose you could backup everything there, restore and pull it all back then cancel. lol! Anyway if you dont have a factory PC restoring is tougher. Maybe tomorrow Branflakes will check in with us, one can hope.
  • warslord1warslord1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    day 7 and counting
    edited August 2012
    I've been mining google, to see if any solution pops up. Found something about Internet Explorer, that sounded promising. Yet, that didn't work either.

Funny thing is that I found a thread here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267868&page=3 , describing a login problem that occurred on April 24th. And that issue got resolved within an hour, with Brandon (PWEBranflakes right?) declaring that the problem had been fixed.

I think a lack of weekend work hours for the Techies might be TRIBBLE with us.:(
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Seems in that case people could at least get the launcher up, it was a password issue? That was also before the PWE take over of everything too. I cant help thinkin that had something to do with our problem and lack of support :( Methos I admire your resolve, and not willin to sit down and take it :) I guess in a way I have resigned myself, its been too long. But keep researchin maybe you will find something

Found this in my error log:

120820 00:48:08 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    edited August 2012
    I just noticed two very similar entries into my STO Errors Log. Mine show as:

120820 01:24:01 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    120820 01:30:26 1 [1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long

No idea what that might mean, but I'll certainly be googling 'em!:P
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Well, that was another lengthy, while completely useless bit of troubleshooting research.:(

I had actually wanted to do another system restore, back to before this Friday morning, when I discovered this mess; just in case I might've inadvertently messed with anything on my system. Yet, apparently, I can only go back to some time yesterday.

I am officially retreating for the evening, as I'm damned tired of attacking this problem to no avail.
    methos71

• macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    methos71 wrote: »
    Well, that was another lengthy, while completely useless bit of troubleshooting research.:(

I wouldn't bother, if it was something on our end that we could fix, someone would have come up with something by now. Personally I'm now enjoying another game, its launcher pops right up and I can connect without a problem and the game runs smoothly.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • warslord1warslord1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i could log in today

then i logged out and tryed to log back in and i could i hope this means they fixed it
    edited August 2012
    warslord1 wrote: »
    i could log in today

then i logged out and tryed to log back in and i could i hope this means they fixed it
    Warslord1, is there anything you might have done, that allowed you to access the launcher and login? 'Cause I've tried logging in and have gotten the same result, login/update launcher timing out and not launching at all.

I'm gonna try some more comparative troubleshooting with my pal who's been able to connect properly. It occurred to me that we compared our 'Internet Options' settings, but haven't compared our 'Network' settings. Also keen on finding out how his StarTrekOnline.exe file compares to mine.

Any other ideas on what my pal and I should be comparing?
    methos71

• eeb3eeb3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    methos, have you tried doing a tracert and seeing where the routing stops at? to startrekonline.com, crypticspace.com and patchserver.crypticstudios.com? (then maybe comparing it to sto.perfectworld.com)
    edited August 2012
    eeb3 wrote: »
    methos, have you tried doing a tracert and seeing where the routing stops at? to startrekonline.com, crypticspace.com and patchserver.crypticstudios.com? (then maybe comparing it to sto.perfectworld.com)
    EEb3, how to you run 'tracert'? I would appreciate it if you gave me a step by step of what I should do. I don't think I've done that before and, if I have, then it's been ages since I've done so. I did run 'nettest' last night and all columns appeared perfectly fine.
    methos71

edited August 2012
    EEb3, not sure if I did this right, but I googled tracert and found a site. I plugged in your suggested websites and here are my results:

208.95.185.41 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 208.95.185.41 [patchserver.crypticstudios.com]

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
    1 1 0 0 206.123.64.42 -
    2 0 0 0 64.124.196.225 xe-4-2-0.er2.dfw2.us.above.net
    3 4 0 0 64.125.26.205 xe-0-0-0.er1.dfw2.us.above.net
    4 158 1 1 64.125.12.170 -
    5 1 1 1 154.54.82.17 te0-3-0-4.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com
    6 11 11 11 154.54.3.18 te0-3-0-0.mpd21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com
    7 21 21 21 154.54.2.234 te0-0-0-3.mpd21.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
    8 45 45 45 154.54.28.114 te0-0-0-5.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com
    9 45 44 45 66.28.4.42 te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com
    10 52 53 53 38.111.40.114 -
    11 44 44 44 208.95.185.41 -
    Trace complete

208.95.185.44 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 208.95.185.44 [startrekonline.com]

1 0 0 0 206.123.64.42 -
    3 49 44 0 64.125.26.205 xe-0-0-0.er1.dfw2.us.above.net
    4 118 0 217 64.125.12.170 -
    5 1 1 1 154.54.82.17 te0-3-0-4.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com
    6 11 11 12 154.54.2.114 te0-2-0-1.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com
    7 21 21 21 154.54.6.157 te0-4-0-3.ccr21.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
    8 44 45 45 154.54.43.198 te0-3-0-6.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com
    9 119 204 52 66.28.4.254 te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com
    10 45 53 53 38.111.40.114 -
    11 44 44 44 208.95.185.44 -
    Trace complete

208.95.184.55 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 208.95.184.55 [crypticspace.com]

1 0 0 0 206.123.64.42 -
    3 0 0 0 64.125.26.205 xe-0-0-0.er1.dfw2.us.above.net
    4 9 3 0 64.125.12.170 -
    5 1 1 1 154.54.6.65 te0-1-0-4.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com
    6 11 11 11 154.54.2.114 te0-2-0-1.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com
    7 21 23 21 154.54.82.142 te0-2-0-5.ccr21.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
    8 44 45 44 154.54.43.198 te0-3-0-6.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com
    9 44 44 45 66.28.4.254 te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com
    10 51 53 53 38.111.40.114 -
    11 45 44 44 208.95.184.55 -
    Trace complete

96.7.41.11 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 96.7.41.11 [sto.perfectworld.com]

1 0 0 0 206.123.64.42 -
    2 39 3 0 173.219.246.92 173-219-246-92-link.sta.suddenlink.net
    3 0 0 0 66.76.104.18 66-76-104-18.ukwn.suddenlink.net
    4 1 0 0 96.7.41.11 a96-7-41-11.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
    Trace complete

Again, not sure if I did that right or not, but those were my results. No idea what they mean though.
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Hmmm...got different results when I used what looks to be the official tracert website.

Results for startrekonline.com:

1 biad401-fe0-0-0-3-isl-1.gip.net (204.59.152.205) 0.996 ms 0.732 ms 0.675 ms
    2 57.64.2.77 (57.64.2.77) 0.864 ms 0.75 ms 0.77 ms
    3 57.64.2.189 (57.64.2.189) 0.884 ms 0.883 ms 0.902 ms
    4 gi5-1.oakse1.OakHill.opentransit.net (193.251.242.13) 0.994 ms 1.047 ms 0.924 ms
    5 gi5-24.ashse2.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.240.114) 2.534 ms 2.503 ms 2.539 ms
    6 xe-3-1-3-0.ashtr1.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.243.141) 2.357 ms 2.365 ms 2.354 ms
    7 te0-7-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.13) 2.562 ms 2.667 ms 2.432 ms
    8 te0-0-0-4.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.26.125) 3.611 ms te0-5-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.117) 3.596 ms te0-4-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.229) 3.35 ms
    9 te0-6-0-1.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.125) 9.166 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.5.245) 9.214 ms te0-0-0-6.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.237) 9.038 ms
    10 te0-0-0-1.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.114) 15.405 ms te0-4-0-7.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.50) 19.901 ms te0-3-0-2.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.46) 15.263 ms
    11 te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.254) 15.238 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.130) 15.124 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.254) 15.732 ms
    12 38.111.40.114 (38.111.40.114) 24.809 ms 15.305 ms 15.302 ms
    13 208.95.185.44 (208.95.185.44) 15.035 ms 15.095 ms 14.863 ms

Results for crypticspace.com:

1 biad401-fe0-0-0-3-isl-1.gip.net (204.59.152.205) 0.938 ms 0.742 ms 0.658 ms
    2 57.64.2.77 (57.64.2.77) 0.903 ms 0.822 ms 0.716 ms
    3 57.64.2.189 (57.64.2.189) 0.942 ms 1.037 ms 0.837 ms
    4 gi5-1.oakse1.OakHill.opentransit.net (193.251.242.13) 1.003 ms 0.987 ms 1.078 ms
    5 gi5-24.ashse2.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.240.114) 56.961 ms 33.567 ms 2.72 ms
    6 xe-2-0-3-0.ashtr1.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.243.190) 53.663 ms 25.388 ms 2.345 ms
    7 te0-7-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.13) 2.537 ms 2.548 ms 2.597 ms
    8 te0-2-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.113) 3.385 ms te0-2-0-4.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.77) 3.464 ms te0-3-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.2.49) 3.408 ms
    9 te0-5-0-2.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.42.18) 9.362 ms te0-4-0-7.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.6) 9.044 ms te0-2-0-2.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.26.186) 9.188 ms
    10 te0-1-0-2.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.38) 15.477 ms te0-0-0-1.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.114) 15.236 ms te0-4-0-7.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.50) 15.274 ms
    11 te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.254) 94.124 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.130) 205.741 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.254) 209.448 ms
    12 *

Results for patchserver.crypticstudios.com:

1 biad401-fe0-0-0-3-isl-1.gip.net (204.59.152.205) 1.368 ms 1.124 ms 1.014 ms
    2 57.64.2.77 (57.64.2.77) 1.055 ms 1.067 ms 1.09 ms
    3 57.64.2.189 (57.64.2.189) 1.15 ms 1.23 ms 1.119 ms
    4 gi5-1.oakse1.OakHill.opentransit.net (193.251.242.13) 1.43 ms 1.438 ms 1.323 ms
    5 gi5-24.ashse2.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.240.114) 43.237 ms 50.619 ms 7.204 ms
    6 xe-1-0-3-0.ashtr1.Ashburn.opentransit.net (193.251.240.157) 2.512 ms 2.709 ms 2.637 ms
    7 te0-7-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.13) 2.834 ms 4.062 ms 2.771 ms
    8 te0-2-0-4.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.77) 3.835 ms te0-3-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.2.49) 3.806 ms te0-1-0-5.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.26.129) 3.743 ms
    9 te0-4-0-7.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.6) 9.345 ms te0-2-0-2.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.26.186) 9.559 ms te0-4-0-2.ccr21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.41.2) 9.514 ms
    10 te0-0-0-1.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.25.114) 15.456 ms te0-4-0-7.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.50) 15.735 ms te0-3-0-2.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.44.46) 15.576 ms
    11 te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.130) 15.566 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.254) 15.462 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.46.130) 15.475 ms
    12 38.111.40.114 (38.111.40.114) 19.114 ms 15.689 ms 17.032 ms
    13 208.95.185.41 (208.95.185.41) 15.464 ms 15.192 ms 15.509 ms

Results for sto.perfectworld.com:

1 biad401-fe0-0-0-3-isl-1.gip.net (204.59.152.205) 1.269 ms 1.026 ms 0.981 ms
    2 57.64.2.77 (57.64.2.77) 1.307 ms 1.136 ms 1.001 ms
    3 57.64.2.189 (57.64.2.189) 1.221 ms 1.286 ms 1.29 ms
    4 eqix.xe-3-3-0.cr2.iad1.us.nlayer.net (206.223.115.61) 2.342 ms 2.203 ms 2.445 ms
    5 ae2-30g.ar2.iad1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.31.186) 4.694 ms 14.512 ms 5.576 ms
    6 69.31.16.161 (69.31.16.161) 2.328 ms 3.098 ms 2.65 ms

Again, no idea what all that means or if I did it correctly. All of those were done with USA, Global One checked.
    methos71

• eeb3eeb3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Basically the Tracert (Trace Route) command is used from a DOS/Command prompt is the ability to follow where packets are going over the Net. Usually from your location to the end location. Though if you do it from a webpage it will often be from their servers as a starting location.

Usually its done by pressing start, run, type 'cmd', then enter, which will bring up a black box. type 'tracert xyz' (where xyz is the ip or website you want to trace to) It will give what you have posted before. Though you may want to clear off the first few starting IPs for privacy at least.
    edited August 2012
    eeb3 wrote: »
    Basically the Tracert (Trace Route) command is used from a DOS/Command prompt is the ability to follow where packets are going over the Net. Usually from your location to the end location. Though if you do it from a webpage it will often be from their servers as a starting location.

Usually its done by pressing start, run, type 'cmd', then enter, which will bring up a black box. type 'tracert xyz' (where xyz is the ip or website you want to trace to) It will give what you have posted before. Though you may want to clear off the first few starting IPs for privacy at least.
    Hmmm...I just did as you suggested. Yet, I have no idea how to post the results here. I subbed 'xyz' for patchserver.crypticstudios.com and out of 30 hops, the first 13 results spouted all sorts of info, while lines 14 through 30 read three asterisks, followed by 'Request timed out.'.

I got similar results for startrekonline.com (lines 14 through 30 all 'Request timed out').

The results for crypticspace.com were different, totaling only 15 lines and line 14 reported as 'Request timed out', while lines 1 through 13 and line 15 did gave a bunch of info.

Results for sto.perfectworld.com only totaled 10 lines of results, all of them showing info, with no indication of 'Request timed out'.

Any idea what all this might mean? Anything in particular I should be looking for?
    methos71

• kirash1979kirash1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It means there is something between your computer and Cryptic's servers that is causing packet data loss. I think we can safely assume that since everyone is having the same issue, the problem is on Cryptic/Perfectworld's end.

I'll even venture to assume that everyone's tracert to patchserver.crypticstudios.com are all timing out at the same point.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kirash1979 wrote: »
    It means there is something between your computer and Cryptic's servers that is causing packet data loss. I think we can safely assume that since everyone is having the same issue, the problem is on Cryptic/Perfectworld's end.

I'll even venture to assume that everyone's tracert to patchserver.crypticstudios.com are all timing out at the same point.
    It could also mean that ICMP, (and other Internet Diagnostic protocols) are being blocked internally by the ISP in question, (as some of them can be used for Denial Of Service attacks, such as flood pings against the network mask...)

What would be more useful would be the 'Net Test' results, as described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

... as it uses a TCP/IP connection, which is the standard Internet communication protocol that the STO Client uses to talk to the server.

(And its unlikely that the issue is at Cryptic's STO Server end, as I have had no issues what so ever connecting to STO this morning...)
    edited August 2012
    kirash1979 wrote: »

Intriguing. My tracert to patchserver.crypticstudios.com timed out at line 14 to 30. Not sure if this might help, but I did notice something curious about said tracert. Lines 1 through 6 ranged from 6ms to 22ms (in first column), 7ms to 23ms in the second and third columns; while line seven read 17ms, 18ms, 18ms. Then, on line eight, it jumped up to 144ms, 205ms, 215ms. Then from 30ms to 53ms, for all the remaining lines until timeout at line 14 onwards.

The tracert for crypticspace.com also had a big spike at line eight, reading 68ms, 220ms, 243ms. Then fluctuated between 28ms to 47ms, until line 15 (last line of that tracert).

I'd very much like to know if others have been getting similar results?
    methos71

edited August 2012
    It could also mean that ICMP, (and other Internet Diagnostic protocols) are being blocked internally by the ISP in question, (as some of them can be used for Denial Of Service attacks, such as flood pings against the network mask...)

What would be more useful would be the 'Net Test' results, as described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

... as it uses a TCP/IP connection, which is the standard Internet communication protocol that the STO Client uses to talk to the server.

(And its unlikely that the issue is at Cryptic's STO Server end, as I have had no issues what so ever connecting to STO this morning...)
    My Nettest results:

Ping: 41.7 msec
    Port: 80: 906 KB/sec 27 KB/sec 962 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 925 KB/sec 28 KB/sec 982 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 908 KB/sec 27 KB/sec 964 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 739 KB/sec 22 KB/sec 782 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 760 KB/sec 22 KB/sec 804 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 928 KB/sec 28 KB/sec 986 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 918 KB/sec 30 KB/sec 975 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 762 KB/sec 22 KB/sec 807 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 796 KB/sec 23 KB/sec 845 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 738 KB/sec 22 KB/sec 781 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 919 KB/sec 27 KB/sec 974 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 801 KB/sec 23 KB/sec 847 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 899 KB/sec 27 KB/sec 954 KB/sec 500
    Idle NIC bandwidth Send: 0 KB/sec Recv: 0 KB/sec

My Tracert results:

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.110.0.1
    2 7 ms 12 ms 8 ms ten0-2-0-6.orld01-ser2.bhn.net [72.31.195.94]
    3 8 ms 11 ms 23 ms ten0-15-0-9.orld71-car2.bhn.net [71.44.60.186]
    4 12 ms 7 ms 16 ms hun0-7-0-0.orld71-cbr3.bhn.net [72.31.193.24]
    5 20 ms 18 ms 18 ms ae-4-11.cr1.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.10.14]
    6 22 ms 23 ms 23 ms 107.14.19.36
    7 17 ms 18 ms 18 ms 107.14.19.13
    8 144 ms 205 ms 215 ms te3-4.ccr01.atl02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.
    109]
    9 30 ms 32 ms 34 ms te0-0-0-1.mpd21.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .40.249]
    10 32 ms 31 ms 30 ms te0-1-0-2.mpd21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .28.226]
    11 37 ms 36 ms 35 ms te0-0-0-6.mpd21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .5.97]
    12 43 ms 43 ms 44 ms te0-2-0-1.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.10]
    13 53 ms 44 ms 43 ms te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42
    ]
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Javier>tracert startrekonline.com

Tracing route to startrekonline.com [208.95.185.44]

1 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.110.0.1
    2 9 ms 8 ms 6 ms ten0-2-0-6.orld01-ser2.bhn.net [72.31.195.94]
    3 8 ms 11 ms 23 ms ten0-15-0-9.orld71-car2.bhn.net [71.44.60.186]
    4 14 ms 16 ms 14 ms hun0-7-0-0.orld71-cbr3.bhn.net [72.31.193.24]
    5 16 ms 17 ms 20 ms ae-3-10.cr1.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.104]
    6 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms 107.14.19.36
    7 16 ms 16 ms 18 ms 107.14.19.13
    8 18 ms 16 ms 16 ms te3-4.ccr01.atl02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.
    109]
    9 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms te0-0-0-1.mpd21.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .40.249]
    10 38 ms 35 ms 31 ms te0-5-0-7.mpd21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .25.253]
    11 37 ms 39 ms 35 ms te0-4-0-1.mpd21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .40.46]
    12 42 ms 42 ms 43 ms te0-4-0-3.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.18]
    13 44 ms 43 ms 44 ms te3-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.
    134]
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Javier>tracert crypticspace.com

Tracing route to crypticspace.com [208.95.184.55]

1 6 ms 6 ms 9 ms 10.110.0.1
    2 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms ten0-2-0-6.orld01-ser1.bhn.net [72.31.195.92]
    3 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms ten0-4-0-3.orld71-car1.bhn.net [71.44.61.88]
    4 9 ms 15 ms 15 ms hun0-0-0-0.orld71-cbr3.bhn.net [72.31.193.18]
    5 17 ms 27 ms 16 ms ae-4-11.cr1.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.10.14]
    6 23 ms 22 ms 16 ms 107.14.19.38
    7 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms ae-1-0.pr0.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.177]
    8 68 ms 220 ms 243 ms te3-4.ccr01.atl02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.
    109]
    9 30 ms 30 ms 28 ms te0-2-0-5.mpd22.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .83.209]
    10 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms te0-4-0-7.mpd22.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .27.93]
    11 38 ms 35 ms 38 ms te0-3-0-3.mpd22.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .5.74]
    12 42 ms 47 ms 43 ms te0-2-0-6.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.22]
    13 44 ms 43 ms 43 ms te3-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.
    134]
    15 44 ms 43 ms 42 ms 208.95.184.55

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Javier>tracert sto.perfectworld.com

Tracing route to a1778.w7.akamai.net [64.210.100.88]

1 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10.110.0.1
    2 6 ms 6 ms 7 ms ten0-2-0-6.orld01-ser2.bhn.net [72.31.195.94]
    3 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms ten0-4-0-3.orld71-car2.bhn.net [71.44.61.98]
    4 23 ms 15 ms 15 ms hun0-7-0-0.orld71-cbr3.bhn.net [72.31.193.24]
    5 15 ms 16 ms 18 ms ae-3-10.cr1.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.104]
    6 25 ms 22 ms 23 ms 107.14.19.38
    7 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms ae-1-0.pr0.atl20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.177]
    8 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms TenGigabitEthernet9-2.ar1.ATL2.gblx.net [64.212.
    108.69]
    9 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms po3-20G.ar3.ATL2.gblx.net [67.16.143.126]
    10 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 64.210.100.88

Trace complete.
    methos71

edited August 2012
    Heres my stuff:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms 10.9.44.89
    3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms G11-0-2-890.BSTNMA-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net [130.8
    1.110.22]
    4 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms so-0-3-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
    9.254]
    5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 0.ge-1-0-0.XL4.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.19.245]
    6 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms POS7-0.GW5.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.25.57]
    7 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [65.207.236.58]
    8 14 ms 16 ms 16 ms border11.te7-1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.4
    1]
    9 16 ms 16 ms 19 ms cryptic-3.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    10 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.

C:\Users>tracert startrekonline.com

Tracing route to startrekonline.com [208.95.185.44]

2 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 10.9.44.89
    3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms G11-0-2-790.BSTNMA-LCR-07.verizon-gni.net [130.8
    1.109.48]
    4 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms so-0-3-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
    9.252]
    5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 0.so-0-2-0.XL3.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.16.137]
    6 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms POS6-0.GW5.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.25.69]
    7 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [65.207.236.58]
    8 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms border11.te7-1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.4
    1]
    9 15 ms 14 ms 16 ms cryptic-3.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    10 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms fr.startrekonline.com [208.95.185.44]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\tracert crypticspace.com

Tracing route to crypticspace.com [208.95.184.55]

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 5 ms 11 ms 9 ms 10.9.44.89
    3 7 ms 4 ms 6 ms G11-0-2-890.BSTNMA-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net [130.8
    1.110.22]
    4 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms so-0-3-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
    9.254]
    5 14 ms 11 ms 11 ms 0.xe-1-1-0.XL4.NYC1.ALTER.NET [152.63.20.117]
    6 13 ms 14 ms 14 ms 0.so-7-1-0.XL4.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.0.221]
    7 31 ms 14 ms 14 ms POS7-0.GW5.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.25.57]
    8 69 ms 24 ms 23 ms internap-gw.customer.alter.net [65.207.236.58]
    9 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms border11.te8-1-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.1
    04]
    10 25 ms 21 ms 167 ms cryptic-3.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    11 23 ms 21 ms 21 ms 208.95.184.55

Trace complete.

C:\Users\>tracert sto.perfectworld.com

Tracing route to a1778.w7.akamai.net [23.67.244.112]

2 3 ms 4 ms 4 ms 10.9.44.89
    3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms G11-0-2-790.BSTNMA-LCR-07.verizon-gni.net [130.8
    1.109.48]
    4 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms so-0-3-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
    9.252]
    5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 0.so-0-2-0.XL3.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.16.137]
    6 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 0.xe-8-3-0.GW15.BOS4.ALTER.NET [152.63.24.38]
    7 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms akamai-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.60.166]
    8 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms a23-67-244-112.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [23
    .67.244.112]

Trace complete.

None of mine go beyond Line 10, I dont know why...it just stops. Hope this information is help or meaningful in some way. Much to my dismay I suppose there is still no word from branflakes or Cryptic on this! :(