test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
I was playing, yesterday, without any problems but now I can't login anymore. When I run STO, It opens a window named Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate, it says:
"Trying to update the launcher.
Please be patient.
Tried connecting 1 time."

It takes some minutes, then I get an error window " Patcher error", saying "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function."

I tried several times but somehow It doesnt update my game client.
Some mmorpg has a manual update patch, I wonder if STO has it too, if doesnt, it would be nice having it too.
It will avoid problems to players, specially just after an update, like now.

Best Regards.

PS: I already tested my Internet Connection, trhoughput, latency, everything is like yesterday, except my STO game. ;)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    One more with the exavt same problem. My conexion seems to be working fine too, although I haven't made an extesive test as you. And I were able to enter on the launcher until some hours ago.
    edited November 2011
    It's good to find another brazilian playing it too. :p
    Let's hope we can get a manual update patch for this update.
    edited November 2011
    i am also getting the same problem with same error message.i am also getting the message unable to establish connection to patch server.please check internet connection.if problems persist,please contact tech support.my internet connection is working great,and i had no problems playing all day yesterday.whats going on?
    edited November 2011
    They released this new update today, and players like us, are having problems to download this patch using autoupdate.
    We need to download a manual update patch, otherwise we will need to try again, using autoupdate, when everyone is sleeping.
    edited November 2011
    Fixed it! At least this is my hope. My instalation is trough steam. But I have the independent installer also. So, I installed it, and copied the old launcher for the folder on steam instalation. Now I'm able to enter on the launcher. Right now it is patching Tribble. Actually, it is patching the whole 11 GB. I don't know if there is a way to avoid it.
    edited November 2011
    Mock wrote: »
    i am also getting the same problem with same error message.i am also getting the message unable to establish connection to patch server.please check internet connection.if problems persist,please contact tech support.my internet connection is working great,and i had no problems playing all day yesterday.whats going on?

seems to be working fine now
    edited November 2011
    Just started up the launcher and am getting the exact same problem.
    edited November 2011
    This is actually doing my head in ive got the same problem is there anything being done about it? because it would be great if the game would work lol :P
    edited November 2011
    This happened to before. I just waited until most were done and then tried it and it worked.
    edited November 2011
    I seem to be having this issue with the auto update it keeps trying to download this 1980k patch every time i load the launcher.
    edited November 2011
    Ok. Finished the patch (yeah, almost an entire day!). Well, technically, I didn't finished the patch. It finished dowloading and now shows this error:

Error 36: A file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in [x] (x goes from 9 trough 1). Rebooted, and nothing. Checked the force verify, exited and runned the laucher as admin. And guess what? It started downloading all over again! I won't let him patch all over again. I'm going just to delete the tribble install, patch holodeck. And then reinstall tribble.
    edited November 2011
    I click the icon to open the launch window.

"Trying to update the launcher. please be patient."

a minute or so later...

"The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function."

Translation?
    edited November 2011
    Mock wrote: »
    seems to be working fine now

now its not working again.what is going on here???my internet connection is fine!
    edited November 2011
    Reinstalling the launcher seemed to do it for me. In fact, the launcher itself performed much better and was faster after reinstalling. Try reinstalling and see if that works. You don't even need to uninstall STO, just reinstall the game client/launcher and let the files overwrite the existing ones.
    edited November 2011
    Reinstalling the launcher seemed to do it for me. In fact, the launcher itself performed much better and was faster after reinstalling. Try reinstalling and see if that works. You don't even need to uninstall STO, just reinstall the game client/launcher and let the files overwrite the existing ones.

That worked for me too. I tried replacing the launcher, proxies, a whole bunch of stuff. Either I timed out trying to connect to the patch server or I got slapped with a 5 gig patch that never seemed to go away. I just reinstalled in a different folder then took my old folder and overwrited the new folder with it. I don't remember if I kept the new launcher or just used the old one. After that, I was able to download the new patch and now I'm doing my dailies.
    edited November 2011
    Eyrular wrote:
    I was playing, yesterday, without any problems but now I can't login anymore. When I run STO, It opens a window named Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate, it says:
    "Trying to update the launcher.
    Please be patient.
    Tried connecting 1 time."

It takes some minutes, then I get an error window " Patcher error", saying "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function."

I tried several times but somehow It doesnt update my game client.
    Some mmorpg has a manual update patch, I wonder if STO has it too, if doesnt, it would be nice having it too.
    It will avoid problems to players, specially just after an update, like now.

Best Regards.

PS: I already tested my Internet Connection, trhoughput, latency, everything is like yesterday, except my STO game. ;)
    Had this for weeks. Decided to download the Installer and installed it yesterday and it worked again. Could patch the game.
    Today i wanted to play a bit but now i get
    Unable to establish connection to Patch Server.

STO starts to really suck.
    edited November 2011
    I am having the same problem. How do I reinstall the launcher? I tried launching the game from the game client icon in the live folder, but when it asks me to login, it times out. What happened?!?!?!?!???!?!?

Edit: I don't know what's going on. It keeps giving me that error, but I just keep opening it up, and it started working. I guess this means that once you open your game, at least until they fix this problem, don't close your game.
    edited November 2011
    Now I can play again, I just had to try update again at 3:00am, I guess it's when servers are more "avaible"

Just a hint for tech staff of STO: When you release a new update it will be very helpfull for all players if you release a manual update patch from previous version to current one.

Best Regards.
    edited November 2011
    HamRadio18 wrote:
    I am having the same problem. How do I reinstall the launcher? I tried launching the game from the game client icon in the live folder, but when it asks me to login, it times out. What happened?!?!?!?!???!?!?

Edit: I don't know what's going on. It keeps giving me that error, but I just keep opening it up, and it started working. I guess this means that once you open your game, at least until they fix this problem, don't close your game.

To reinstall the launcher, you need just overwrite the file startrekonline.exe on your game folder by one copy of the working launcher. This usually means: install the game on a different folder, copy the launcher from this fresh installation on the folder of the old one. Test if it works. Just, don't check the force verify thing on options. It will basically redownload the entire game. Also, after you finish the patch, it may give a "error 36". Simply close the launcher and open it with administrative privelegies. If everything work, you may uninstall the old installation. At least, this completely fixed the game for me.
    edited November 2011
    You don't need to reinstall your client. This problem happends when they release a new patch and somehow you can't download it through autoupdate, because too many players are doing it.
    Just try again when this server is more empty, unfortanely we don't have a manual patch, to download on a mirror server, to perform this update manually.
    I hope they change it. ;)
    edited November 2011
    I could not log in at all last weekend and am still getting this "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function." .......??? I am have no clue. I saw some with similar issue and someone who cleared it up, but how is this fixed? Thank you!
    edited November 2011
    Im getting the same "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function"

Any fix for this yet?
    edited November 2011
    they are still investigating the issue. the problem is not hitting everyone. So more data they have from people by ticket submissions of thier systems and network setup the better change they can isloate the cause.
    Some have fix thier issue by getting another copy of the launcher exe from someone that does not have the problem. But that does not mean the problem will not reoccur.
    edited November 2011
    PegasusMD wrote:
    they are still investigating the issue. the problem is not hitting everyone. So more data they have from people by ticket submissions of thier systems and network setup the better change they can isloate the cause.
    Some have fix thier issue by getting another copy of the launcher exe from someone that does not have the problem. But that does not mean the problem will not reoccur.

I don't have patch server's adress, but you can try using tracert to check if its blocked by your firewall or somehow you are having problems to reach it and update.
    I had a ticket open in support where they posted this URL i don't have it anymore, if you can get it, you might help other users as well. ;)
    edited November 2011
    This is not the first time this happens to me. Actually it has happened a lot of times. Sometimes I could fix it by replacing the launcher and sometimes not. The last time I was unable to play for a hole month, emitting tickets and being fobbed off by tech support. Sudenly it just fixed itself. Now its not working again. It is really annoying, isn't it? I've researched a lot on this last month, and discovered that sometimes it also happens to Champions Online players. It seems to have something to do with when Cryptic makes security maintance on their servers, than some players just stop having access to the servers. That's what you get for being a loyal subscriber since launch... Come on Cryptic, fix this once and for all!

Edit: Replacing the launcher for one from a fresh install worked for me this time. But I was stupid because I forgot to backup the fresh install launcher for the next time it happens. So here goes a hint: if have this problem frequently like me, keep a copy of the original launcher for use when necessary!
    edited December 2011
    I haven't played STO in probably a year, but I've been keeping up to date with the patches, at least up until about 2-3 months ago.

I decided to get back in to see how things have progressed, I'm double clicking the launcher, a little box opens up, but it just says:

Trying to update the launcher.
    Please be patient.
    Tried connecting 2 times.

Anyone know a solution?
    edited December 2011
    Anyone? I submitted a ticket two days ago but it hasn't been responded to. I still can't even launch the erm, launcher.
    edited January 2012
    Okay, so... My launcher has been on the fritz lately and I even reinstalled the game from a new download and it still does this. When it initially happened, I thought "Okay, that's stupid, maybe it has to do with being on a trial account". Yes, I know that that makes NO sense, that the devs would code it so that the launcher would crash when a Trial user who's time has expired tries to log in, but it was the only thing that came to mind. And I ran with it. But I also tried this with my boyfriend's account and one of our friends' account and it does not work, it just keeps crashing. It was working fine up until my trial ran out and now it just repeatedly crashes when I try to log in to the launcher.

Specs at a glance:
    CPU: Dual Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
    RAM space: 4GB
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT (Sparkle) [Yes, it is up-to-date at my last check]
    DxDiag available: Yes.
    edited January 2012
    Okay, so I think I know what's wrong. I don't have anything but the "piggs" folder that has 3.44 GB of data within it. My boyfriend tried giving me the missing files, but that gives me the same exact result as before.

In the Cryptic Studios folder, I have
    Star Trek Online - Folder
    CrypticError - Application
    dbghelp.dll - App Extension
    Star Trek Online - Application
    Uninstall Star Trek Online - Application

Star Trek Online, the folder, has
    Live - Folder

Live, the folder, has
    piggs - folder

piggs, the folder, has the files shown in file attached. I'm going to try moving the folder to the x86 folder and see if that happens to make it work.

Note: It installed into Public Games on it's own.

Uh.. Huh. Closing TeamViewer seems to have made the game work again. That's... odd. Oh well.
    edited February 2012
    THANK YOU !!!

This works for me too.

Saying this Teamviewer also stops Battlefield 3 from entering Fullscreen too.

Will be having a word with the lads at Teamviewer about this, and closing it more often when i have program crashes.

Please mark this thread as FIXED

For google
    Startrekonline Crashes wont load client wont login cant login Connection Issues