test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It is with great regret...

cryptichereticcrypticheretic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
It was about this time seven years ago that I first came to Cryptic Studios. City of Heroes had shipped and City of Villains was rapidly ramping up. At the time, I had a pair of offers; one that would have involved continuing my work as a senior producer in the mobile game space, and the other involved accepting a position at Cryptic Studios. The first paid more and had a better title, but for me there was never any question which would be my choice. Cryptic Studios delivered as well, and has offered me tremendous opportunities to explore this strange beast we call game design.

Moreover, it isn't simply a monolithic company that has given me these opportunities, but individual people including Al Rivera (Geko), Dan Stahl, Jack Emmert and others who put their trust in me to try to build good design for great games. This also afforded me the chance to work with developers of all disciplines, both to gain their respect and in some cases to successfully implant nanomachines such that they would let me go out to lunch with them on occasion.

Finally, there is the inimitable collaborations and (I hope) mutual respect forged with the community at large. You guys are great, and as hard as this decision has been for me in so many ways, stepping away from things like the duty officer system and starbases feels a little like I am abandoning you. Fortunately, however, you are in great hands; Dan, Al, Jheinig, Borticus, Thomas the Cat, Falling Sky, Turnerboy, Ensign Ro and the rest of the STO team are incredibly passionate about the game.

With that said, and with great regret, I have chosen to depart from the STO team and Cryptic Studios to pursue new opportunities. I have been working hard with the team these last few weeks to make sure that the transition is as smooth as possible, and I have every confidence in their ability to deliver a great experience for the game.

I will still (try to tear me away...) be in game, just not with the fancy pink name (I won't miss that color at all). I will even be running regular open Starbase defenses, at least on the KDF side, so feel free to sign onto the HereticalSTO channel on Tuesday nights or up on the HereticalSTO Facebook group for more info and I would be proud to die (or live...meh, less interesting that way, but I suppose I could be convinced) alongside you when Starbases come out.

Live long and prosper,
Geoff "Heretic" Tuffli
hereticalreflections.wordpress.com
Post edited by crypticheretic on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Aw man, sad to see you go. You had to been one of the most loved Devs on the Team. :frown:

You'll be missed. Live Long, and Prosper.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    But... why? Is it me? It's me, isn't it? Please, what did I do wrong? I can fix it! Please don't break up with me! I need you! NEED, I TELL YOU!

*cries profusely*
  • Options
    dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well I can say that I am very sorry for us. I feel that things will be diminished by your absence. You have brought a lot to STO and delivered content above and beyond what was ever expected. Thank you for what you have given us.

Now that I am done being sorry for us, congratulations to you on your new job. It is an exciting move and I wish you the best.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • Options
    androphorosandrophoros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to see you go Heretic.
    Live Long and Prosper
    "Wesley - He wants the Impossible
    Geordi - That's the short definition of Captain" - and the STO Forums
  • Options
    retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You've been a great asset. Hope to see you in the stars. :)
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • Options
    piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    First Logan now Heretic, can't say I am happy for the loss, but I hope you have fun and that things only get better for you and that you have many and great successes.

Still, I'm sad to see you go. :frown:
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    percyfawcettpercyfawcett Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    And I thought yesterday was bad.

This sucks
    @lucifer.baphomet in game, and on the NPW forums
  • Options
    jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanx for the doffs Heretic....(I'd say star bases too but I haven't seen them yet)....

and before anyone else can beat me to it....

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    :eek:

Good luck with future endeavors.
    edited June 2012
    Oh, Noooooo!!!

You're my favorite Dev!

You WILL be missed.

I shall airlock a DOFF in your honor tonight. (Common, of course)
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It was about this time seven years ago that I first came to Cryptic Studios. City of Heroes had shipped and City of Villains was rapidly ramping up. At the time, I had a pair of offers; one that would have involved continuing my work as a senior producer in the mobile game space, and the other involved accepting a position at Cryptic Studios. The first paid more and had a better title, but for me there was never any question which would be my choice. Cryptic Studios delivered as well, and has offered me tremendous opportunities to explore this strange beast we call game design.
    <snip>

Live long and prosper,
    Geoff ?Heretic? Tuffli
    hereticalreflections.wordpress.com
    Very sorry to see you go, may we ask - what's the new opportunity? You've delivered one of (if not the best) system in the game in the way of Duty Officers, and what promises to be the best coming up in Fleet Starbases.

This said never regret taking a new opportunity. That's what we live for.

Good luck and God Speed.
  • Options
    mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2012
    Yea, I understand. I'm not too stoked about this frieghter fiasco either. Good luck, and God speed. See you in the funnypapers.
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i really hate to see you go man. you will be missed,

Joe
  • Options
    jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sad to see you go... We've just lost the best systems designer an MMO could have... I'm not playing with my doffs for atleast a week of mourning. Live Long and Prosper...
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Soooo..... We are losing one of the most cummunicative devs we had?...
    :frown: :frown: :frown:

If I ever get the Tuffli Freighter, I will name it the "Heretic Trading Company" in your honor.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    *salutes*

Thank you for everything you've done for this game... All your wonderful fixes, systems... HELL everything... Thank you

You will be missed

Live long and Prosper

*wags tail sadly*
    Foundry Enthusiast
    Machinima Person
    Did some things back in the day

Now a Games Developer and Researcher
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Is this true or is some joke day on USA? Beacose if is true, it could be the worst day for STO! The best dev leaves?

The winter is coming!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    woah. well, hope the pastures are greener
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Good luck and best wishes Heretic and hope to see your groovy work in other games down the road somewhere in the wide world of entertainment
  • Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Good luck, Heretic. Thanks for all your hard work and creativity. You will be missed by STO, and its community.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm joining your facebook group right the hell now. Erebus and Elthora would be deeply honored to defend KDF holdings alongside one of the greatest heroes STO has ever known.
  • Options
    averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Goodbye good sir.

You WILL be missed.

DD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Bye Heretic! Bon Voyage!
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You will be missed, Heretic! You have given your best and the work has been top notch.

On a side note, is there a single person who will be largely in charge of duty officer changes from now on? I'm curious about the ultimate fate of the Department Head / First Officer system.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    enyojarosenyojaros Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to see you go Heretic, but thank you for what you have given us in game.

Good luck and I'll see you in game :)
  • Options
    woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    All the best on future endevours. Thanks for the efforts you have made to STO.

*Gives Vulcan Salute*

Live long and Prosper. :smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well that bites. Good Luck Heretic.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xhellspawnyxxhellspawnyx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Good luck and thanks for all you've done.

You'll be missed!
    VA50 Rabiator|One of Nine|Reisswolf|Nemesis|Tisiphone|Bankster|StalkerOne of Many|Kyuss|Groo
    LG50 Thirty-One|Minki|An Unknown Entity|Schnucki|Vif|Sister of Mercy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]