test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It is with great regret...

Comments

• teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited June 2012
    It was about this time seven years ago that I first came to Cryptic Studios. City of Heroes had shipped and City of Villains was rapidly ramping up. At the time, I had a pair of offers; one that would have involved continuing my work as a senior producer in the mobile game space, and the other involved accepting a position at Cryptic Studios. The first paid more and had a better title, but for me there was never any question which would be my choice. Cryptic Studios delivered as well, and has offered me tremendous opportunities to explore this strange beast we call game design.

Moreover, it isn't simply a monolithic company that has given me these opportunities, but individual people including Al Rivera (Geko), Dan Stahl, Jack Emmert and others who put their trust in me to try to build good design for great games. This also afforded me the chance to work with developers of all disciplines, both to gain their respect and in some cases to successfully implant nanomachines such that they would let me go out to lunch with them on occasion.

Finally, there is the inimitable collaborations and (I hope) mutual respect forged with the community at large. You guys are great, and as hard as this decision has been for me in so many ways, stepping away from things like the duty officer system and starbases feels a little like I am abandoning you. Fortunately, however, you are in great hands; Dan, Al, Jheinig, Borticus, Thomas the Cat, Falling Sky, Turnerboy, Ensign Ro and the rest of the STO team are incredibly passionate about the game.

With that said, and with great regret, I have chosen to depart from the STO team and Cryptic Studios to pursue new opportunities. I have been working hard with the team these last few weeks to make sure that the transition is as smooth as possible, and I have every confidence in their ability to deliver a great experience for the game.

I will still (try to tear me away...) be in game, just not with the fancy pink name (I won't miss that color at all). I will even be running regular open Starbase defenses, at least on the KDF side, so feel free to sign onto the HereticalSTO channel on Tuesday nights or up on the HereticalSTO Facebook group for more info and I would be proud to die (or live...meh, less interesting that way, but I suppose I could be convinced) alongside you when Starbases come out.

Live long and prosper,
    Geoff "Heretic" Tuffli
    hereticalreflections.wordpress.com

We will really miss you man! I don't know that I can play this game under PWE anymore. So far i've gone two weeks without playing. I think i'm about ot delete the game; even after putting up at least 600 dollars into it, its time to go.

I think even, deep down you knew it too. Maybe in a few months i'll log in and see whats what... idk.
  • theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've lost my passion for this game, and it seems I'm not the only one.
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • hathorehathore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Good luck, no matter where you go! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication.
  • derbeelzebotderbeelzebot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Damn this. You were the first Dev that I saw mingling with the plebs ingame on a regular basis.

You will be missed.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    First Logan, now Heretic.... The good news is that whoever leaves next I don't have to care.:rolleyes:

Good luck wherever you're going, you definitely were one of my favourite devs here.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is sad... the only dev I had any respect left for... so sad indeed.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Here's what I'd like to know...

Who is going to be the "go-to" Dev for the Duty Officer and Starbase systems with Heretic leaving?

I'd hate for those to be left without a "Champion".
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Take care Heretic, your gain is the dev teams loss. Good luck. :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Whaaaaaat!? One of the few that actually implemented something I really like about this game is leaving? Well, at least you have something else to pad your resume with when you link it to this page. I wish you the best. Hope you come back in the future.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • yellnyelln Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    zerobang wrote: »

Quoted for truth.

Thanks for all the fishes, I mean doffs. Good Luck and fair winds :smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Now partying like its 1999 on the forums.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I has a sad :frown:
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Here's what I'd like to know...

Who is going to be the "go-to" Dev for the Duty Officer and Starbase systems with Heretic leaving?

I'd hate for those to be left without a "Champion".

We all know who it is but its going to drive the game in a worse direction than I ever thought possible imo.
  • cryptickestrelcryptickestrel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We all know who it is but its going to drive the game in a worse direction than I ever thought possible imo.

Heretic will defintely be missed, but both Starbases and Doffs are in good hands.

To Geoff: Pleasant journeys, and keep in touch.
  • veazey21veazey21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for making all this cool stuff and good luck continuing to make cool stuff in the future.
    Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show. I should really just relax."
  • husnock1husnock1 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Logan...

Heretic...

Who's next? Actually scratch that, I really don't wanna know.

Someone stop this crazy ride you call "the world," 'cuz I want off. :frown:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    husnock1 wrote: »
    Logan...

Heretic...

Who's next? Actually scratch that, I really don't wanna know.

Someone stop this crazy ride you call "the world," 'cuz I want off. :frown:

Isn't what it use to be, that's for sure... I'll just leave it at that...
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So basically doff system going down the drain now.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • roacquisitionroacquisition Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The good ones go first... :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Join date: Jan 2010 - Original Forum Name: Rules.Of.Acquisition
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So basically doff system going down the drain now.

I don't see that happening...

The basic set-up that He did will always be there....

Whoever takes over just has to add new Missions every once in a while and new DOff's.

From what I've read around here and the old forum, everybody that works there has been adding new missions and DOff's in their spare time.

Heretic even said that the new guy had to create a few mission for the system, in order to learn how to use it.

It seems to be in good hands so far. :smile:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I promised myself I wouldnt link my account to PWE, but I had to solely to post this:

:frown:

You will be missed as a dev Heretic. You were great at what you did, and you made the game more enjoyable for me and many others (love the DOff system, and was really looking forward to Star Bases... it just wont be the same without you forging the way). But you do what you have to, and I wish you luck in the future in whatever you choose to do :)
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    Heretic,

You are an amazing person, developer, and friend, and the entire team and community is not going to be the same without you. You are going to be missed greatly.

May the future bring you much success and happiness. See you in-game!

LLAP!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • shelevshelev Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've been with alot of devs in my time, from EQ on up through today. With this experience I have to say none of them made me feel the way you make me feel.

I really thought we had something special, that you would be THE dev for me. I see now this was just a one sided infatuation, but that doesn't change my feelings for you.

I look back now at all the cute little doffs we had together, all the innuendoes in there naming, the good missions and the bad and I see it all coming to an end. Together we brought life to our crews and filled them with hope and purpose.

I want to believe those feelings, all those cherished memories weren't just my cherished youthfully naive memories. We really had something and now its gone.

I already think of your posts in the doff forum as memories, times remembered, no longer anticipated. The thought of being left with nothing more than the cold callus embrace of some heartless corporate line spouting "dev" is heart breaking.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    As one of the devs that has given me reason to believe that a developer with a great abundance of responsibility and exposure can also be both patient and down-to-earth in dealing with the common person, thank you for all your efforts Heretic, and best of luck with your endeavors from here on.

I will continue prodding one of my fleet co-founders who was surprised you remembered her issue concerning her missing DOffs. As she put it, your response to her issue was 'Oh, it's you again', which still makes me snicker.

Peace and long life, man. And we'll see you around as one of us commoners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Heretic,

You are an amazing person, developer, and friend, and the entire team and community is not going to be the same without you. You are going to be missed greatly.

May the future bring you much success and happiness. See you in-game!

LLAP!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm selfishly hoping this is another boomerang departure like Gozer and Dstahl.....but good luck to the guy. All the best.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for all your hard work. GL HF.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I'm selfishly hoping this is another boomerang departure like Gozer and Dstahl.....but good luck to the guy. All the best.

You do realize I already stated at least three times (once ingame, two times on the forums) that I hope he's in a 'Stahl' :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gg.

• djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited June 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    You do realize I already stated at least three times (once ingame, two times on the forums) that I hope he's in a 'Stahl' :tongue:

I hope he'll be back too, but I wouldn't wish employment at Zynga on anyone. They've got a really bad rep lately.

That being said... Best wishes to Heretic in his future endeavors! (Even if they might be at Zynga)
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to lose you.
    We need all the good developers we can get!
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2012
    Wowies, oh meow ... I hope Gozer is not getting infected with the leaver-virus. Captain Logan, Hero-etic ... who's next? :( The best devs are gone, what's left to look forward to? Gozer is the last of the big three who's still here. Please, Gozer, don't leave us as well.

~ Eris The Vorta
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010