test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Oh great. Instead of finally giving us vendors that sell all the stuff so we're actually able to fully and thoroughly test ****, they throw in another toy. Sorry to rain your parade, Cryptic, but you definitely need to have a look at your priorities.

It's a cool feature, there just are more urgent matters to attend to. If you were still in school, teachers would have told you something like "sit, F, missed the subject".
    edited May 2010
    Loving the tool except that I find I can easily enter any fleet's private chats.
    Now my fleet as most that are serious will be using ventrillo or other client but I think you may get some angry fleets down the road.
    I am supposing that these fleets are not using passwords , however I have no way of knowing if pass-worded chats channels show at this time on the room list. has anyone verified this?
    edited May 2010
    Oh great. Instead of finally giving us vendors that sell all the stuff so we're actually able to fully and thoroughly test ****, they throw in another toy. Sorry to rain your parade, Cryptic, but you definitely need to have a look at your priorities.

It's a cool feature, there just are more urgent matters to attend to. If you were still in school, teachers would have told you something like "sit, F, missed the subject".

I believe it was stated that they have been using this for interoffice communication and that they were extending it to us to help test for future implementation.

You must realize that NO new MMO releases a complete game as was intended from launch these days, you get out what you can by the deadline and do the best you can with the rest that's become a norm yes? Our Devs are doing a good job, and keeping us informed. They could just take our $$$ and let the hardcore fanboys pay the bill.

Didn't mean to mini rant just thought a complaint on a feedback thread was silly trollish thing.
    edited May 2010
    i would like the to be able to login to my actual fleet channel
    edited May 2010
    Ok I finally managed to understand how to "join" the MUC version of TTS and have the server (which is definitely is a self-coded implementation and not ejabberd) accept my presence for it.

While the concept is good.

Your xmpp implementation for it is totally un-standard/wrong and will cause a lot of hassles with most xmpp clients out there and since I'm kind of knowledgeable on the matter I'll explain you why:

1) In your implementation the server to accept the presence stanza required to join the MUC for the in-game channels require the Nickname supplied to be exactly equal as the In-Game handle. I dunno if this is some sort of security measure but it seems a bit useless (see below) and believe me if you don't explain that throughly you'll find yourself cluttered in support requests.
    2) In-Game someone talking from the xmpp service is tagged as: "Resource-Name@Handle". Now if you made it so we are unable to change the nickname with the MUC join presence stanza. You must be aware that it's very easy to do so client wise modifying the resource name. Perhaps I don't see the point of not using the "XEP" compliant way of it ^^.
    3) I'm very happy that you want to use XMPP to allow out-of-game "in-game communication" accessing, but making your self-implementation fully compliant to the standard is always the best choice.

+1 Though :) and hope you accept my feedback as a positive one.
    edited May 2010
    Well apparently you can not enter Guild chats yet, and so far every room I attempted to join while not in game were all non pass-worded as long as there is an option to have a secure chat channel in game and this is not breaching anyone's security this could be a good thing.
    edited May 2010
    T.Diamonds wrote:
    1) In your implementation the server to accept the presence stanza required to join the MUC for the in-game channels require the Nickname supplied to be exactly equal as the In-Game handle. I dunno if this is some sort of security measure but it seems a bit useless (see below) and believe me if you don't explain that throughly you'll find yourself cluttered in support requests.

Unsurprising and explicitly allowed by the specification. Also supported fine by pidgin, and should work with any client that implements the optional reserved nickname features.
    2) In-Game someone talking from the xmpp service is tagged as: "Resource-Name@Handle". Now if you made it so we are unable to change the nickname with the MUC join presence stanza. You must be aware that it's very easy to do so client wise modifying the resource name.

They must indeed be aware of it, seeing as how it's documented in the OP.

This isn't something covered by any specification.

No compliance issues here.
    edited May 2010
    Miiru wrote:
    Unsurprising and explicitly allowed by the specification. Also supported fine by pidgin, and should work with any client that implements the optional reserved nickname features.

They must indeed be aware of it, seeing as how it's documented in the OP.

This isn't something covered by any specification.

No compliance issues here.

EDIT: The problem is I don't get status codes back when I input a different nick from the handle, but I'll have to check throughly about the compliance, talking with a few people about it.

EDIT: Removed about the Nick reservation, even because It's what isn't happening and should happen which is why I didn't see any "sign" of it.
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Useless as there was a bug in the XMPP service presence stanza handling with Self-Presence. Miiru submitted the bug report.
    edited May 2010
    (Response to a deleted post pruned)
    edited May 2010
    After some quick debugging in chat, found the issue:

After the presence list is sent, there is supposed to be a final self-presence message, which both denotes the end of the list and indicates that nickname rewriting has occurred. This message is missing. At the same time, there's a spurious copy of the user's own presence in the main presence list (formatted as if it was a different user with the same name), which needs to be removed. That's all.

Pidgin doesn't care about self-presence messages, but some other clients do, and they break waiting for it to appear.

(This is ticket #875051, please make sure it gets where it needs to go)
    edited May 2010
    Miiru wrote:
    After some quick debugging in chat, found the issue:

After the presence list is sent, there is supposed to be a final self-presence message, which both denotes the end of the list and indicates that nickname rewriting has occurred. This message is missing. At the same time, there's a spurious copy of the user's own presence in the main presence list (formatted as if it was a different user with the same name), which needs to be removed. That's all.

Pidgin doesn't care about self-presence messages, but some other clients do, and they break waiting for it to appear.

I edited the posts accordingly :-), Sorry about the harshness.
    edited May 2010
    To work around the Self-Presence bug for now with other clients aside Pidgin:
    Just input your handle as "Nickname" when joining the rooms/channels (MUCs).
    edited May 2010
    Just tested it and it worked perfectly. Well done. :D

EDIT:
    • I can see the chat channels and read them, but I can't post anything. It's like my message isn't sent. (works in Pidgin, but not in Miranda)
    • I can't read my fleet's channel and it's officer channel ("Info request error" in Miranda, "Service unavailable" in Pidgin).
    edited May 2010
    I notice that all Fleets our characters are in are added as friendslist folders. Nice.

A few questions/requests:
    • Could we also have our Friends list grouped as its own folder by default?
    • Is there a way to join the Fleet channels our characters are in?
    • Tells I send via the external client are echoed in STO but not the other way around. Would it be possible to make it work both ways? Seems like it would be a convenient way to log RP.
    edited May 2010
    I notice that all Fleets our characters are in are added as friendslist folders. Nice.

A few questions/requests:
    Could we also have our Friends list grouped as its own folder by default?
    They are. However this is also delt with by the client you use. For example in my pidgin my friends are all grouped then there is a fleet section for holodeck, one for tribble than my chats.
    Is there a way to join the Fleet channels our characters are in?
    Been discussed above and on page 1
    Tells I send via the external client are echoed in STO but not the other way around. Would it be possible to make it work both ways? Seems like it would be a convenient way to log RP.
    No comment on this last one as I haven't msg'd myself in game hehe.
    edited May 2010

:p I find this to be a useful feature.
    Askray wrote: »
    They are. However this is also delt with by the client you use. For example in my pidgin my friends are all grouped then there is a fleet section for holodeck, one for tribble than my chats.

Hmm. -1 to Trillian, then. It lumped the non-fleet contacts in the general population.
    Been discussed above and on page 1

Not successfully unless I missed a post. I've joined channels just fine, but not actual fleet channels.
    No comment on this last one as I haven't msg'd myself in game hehe.

While it's funny to do that, what I meant was that, if I send someone a message from Trillian while I'm logged into the game, that sent message actually shows up in STO for me too. But messages I send in-game while also logged in via Trillian don't get copied into the Trillian window. Messages I receive from another party always go to both.
    edited May 2010
    OK, after testing it yesterday..... I can not longer log in to my account today. it says username disabled.

yesterday when i was testing it out, it worked perfectly; even when i was in game too.

now i can not log into it from pidgin. it says my account is disabled. now when i try to login to the game, i can not login. whats going on cryptic?

vipeness@CrypticSpace.com/VipeNess disabled
    this is from within pidgin.
    edited May 2010
    vipeness wrote: »
    now when i try to login to the game, i can not login. whats going on cryptic?

Why are you posting here about it? Go and file a support ticket. It's probably a billing issue of some kind.
    edited May 2010
    Found a bit of a bug at least with Trillian, don't know if it manifests with others:

If you try to send a message that exceeds the character limit of CO/STO's chat line, it fails to send without any feedback.
    edited May 2010
    Miiru wrote:
    Why are you posting here about it? Go and file a support ticket. It's probably a billing issue of some kind.

No billing issue... im a lifetime member and it says my account is still active.
    check out the stuff!

http://thearmadafleet.com/2010/05/28/i-can-not-login-to-my-account-today/

edited May 2010
    vipeness wrote: »
    No billing issue... im a lifetime member and it says my account is still active.
    check out the stuff!

http://thearmadafleet.com/2010/05/28/i-can-not-login-to-my-account-today/

Stay calm, dude! The whole chat server und mail system is down. I have the same issue and thought it might be connected to the change of my handle yesterday, but it's all down. I'm sure it will be up and running again soon. ;)
    edited May 2010
    It won't seem to connect.
    edited May 2010
    Thank you for this

For the heavy Addicted:

use it on your Smartphone that supports XMPP.

Join the Battle whenever the fleet calls you to duty
    edited May 2010
    Tiuz wrote:
    Stay calm, dude! The whole chat server und mail system is down. I have the same issue and thought it might be connected to the change of my handle yesterday, but it's all down. I'm sure it will be up and running again soon. ;)

im still not able to connect to my chat program; but i am now able to connect the game. .:wipes head:.
    edited May 2010
    I would try to test this, but cant connect. My Pidgin on Ubuntu 10.04 says "Connection reset by Peer". :o
    edited May 2010
    I was able to connect last night, can't tonight.
    edited May 2010
    Now my pidgin says "Lost connection with server. Connection interrupted by other software on your computer."

I have the same software running as every day (TeamSpeak3 Client, FIrefox, Miranda) and never had this problem. Yesterday, the connections to the chat server (after it went back online) were pretty unstable, though.

EDIT: Miranda doesn't work either.
    edited May 2010
    well it seems the service terminates incoming connections on connect immediatly atm (which causes my client to hang as well :)), I'd suppose they fixing stuff and it's momentarily disabled.
    edited May 2010
    T.Diamonds wrote:
    well it seems the service terminates incoming connections on connect immediatly atm (which causes my client to hang as well :)), I'd suppose they fixing stuff and it's momentarily disabled.

Yes, I got confirmation in the thread about the chat server crash earlier:
    Yes we have turned off the XMPP for now. It will be turned back on when we don't think it is what has been crashing the global chat server.

Given some anomalies like the system thinking one of my friends is still logged in via XMPP, that might have been part of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.