test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    With I think A 5 and stippled pants, you can make a uniform like those all-blacks from Chain of Command, minus the hood. I use colored variants for my Section 31 character's crew.
    edited July 2011
    I just did some testing on Tribble, and it will make it easier, as that now each colour has a code such as A1, C16, etc, so that will help you, and the rest of us.
    edited July 2011
    I just did some testing on Tribble, and it will make it easier, as that now each colour has a code such as A1, C16, etc, so that will help you, and the rest of us.

That will be a great help! I look forward to seeing that getting implemented in game! :cool:

Speaking of things being implemented...I hope the devs have plans to add the S1 TNG uniforms, dress uniforms, Crusher's Medical Coat and Pulaski's Medical Uniform.
    edited July 2011
    So I was on tribble and playing with costumes and I thought you might be interested in this Blackavaar. The Antares skirt when the first two colours are H1 and the third colour being the department colour with the material set to matte makes a great facsimile to the TWOK skirt that is missing from the game. So now female officers can have a sort of semi-accurate looking female officer uniform from that era. it doesn't look half bad.
    edited July 2011
    So I was on tribble and playing with costumes and I thought you might be interested in this Blackavaar. The Antares skirt when the first two colours are H1 and the third colour being the department colour with the material set to matte makes a great facsimile to the TWOK skirt that is missing from the game. So now female officers can have a sort of semi-accurate looking female officer uniform from that era. it doesn't look half bad.

Thanks, Alastor. That's good to know.

I've been trying to check out costumes on Tribble myself, but for some reason my video card (NVidia 8800 GT) is not fully supported by the test server. It keeps telling me I have to update my drivers even though they are fully up to date. So, when I do get on Tribble it has to be in low graphics mode and even then when I try to use the Tailor I get booted.

I did notice that the Terran and Bajoran badges appear on the wrong side on all uniforms except their own. I hope they can fix that before it rolls live.

:cool:
    edited July 2011
    I'm fairly certain I've got the same make of graphics card as you Blackavaar, and I've been able to play on Tribble. I also noticed that the Terran badges are on the wrong side.
    edited July 2011
    IIRC I think I read a dev post saying that the terran empire badges would have to be moved to the other side of the normal uniforms so as not to interfere with rank insignia
    edited July 2011
    IIRC I think I read a dev post saying that the terran empire badges would have to be moved to the other side of the normal uniforms so as not to interfere with rank insignia

Rank insignia on TOS uniforms are on the sleeve. And those are the only uniforms that I really care about the Terran badge being on the wrong side myself. The others I can live with because it is soft or non-canon anyway. If they could straighten it out on just those, that would be beautiful.

edited July 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Rank insignia on TOS uniforms are on the sleeve. And those are the only uniforms that I really care about the Terran badge being on the wrong side myself. The others I can live with because it is soft or non-canon anyway. If they could straighten it out on just those, that would be beautiful.

What I heard was that since they were making the commbadges usable on any uniform, they were adding another terran badge that was on the other side so it didn't interfere with the uniforms with the ranks on the chest.
    edited July 2011
    ACES_HIGH wrote: »
    What I heard was that since they were making the commbadges usable on any uniform, they were adding another terran badge that was on the other side so it didn't interfere with the uniforms with the ranks on the chest.

I hope so, because I would really like to be able to finally make the crewmen uniforms look canon, not just a little bit closer to canon but still not quite.

edited July 2011
    IIRC, didn't Mirror Spock wear something similar to the 2269 dress uniform in the Mirror universe? And no rank stripes on his uniform? I can't remember if regular crew members aboard the I.S.S. Enterprise had rank stripes. Hopefully we'll get the knee high boots that Mirror Spock wore as well someday?
    edited July 2011
    IIRC, didn't Mirror Spock wear something similar to the 2269 dress uniform in the Mirror universe? And no rank stripes on his uniform? I can't remember if regular crew members aboard the I.S.S. Enterprise had rank stripes. Hopefully we'll get the knee high boots that Mirror Spock wore as well someday?

Spock wore the First Officer's Uniform that we have. Still no word on if we'll ever get the Captain's Uniform. And yes, other crew members wore Rank stripes on their standard TOS uniforms, but they also wore the Sash and a Terran Badge on the right side of their shirt. I'm not even going to mention the medals the officers wore on the left side, though I'd like to see those too someday.

edited July 2011
    I ran out of room in the Canon Uniforms section so here is the all new Canon Variants section. Other variants will be moved to this section over time.

TOS (The Original Series) variants.

Command Gold Pants Variant
    Science and Medical Blue Pants Variant
    Operations and Security Red Pants Variant

ENT (Enterprise) variants.

Command Division Excursion Uniform
    Operations Division Excursion Uniform
    Sciences Division Excursion Uniform

Enjoy!

edited July 2011
    I just checked the TOS shirts, and I can confirm they are on the wrong side (i.e. the left).
    edited July 2011
    I ran out of room in the Canon Uniforms section so here is the all new Canon Variants section. Other variants will be moved to this section over time.

TOS (The Original Series) variants.

Command Gold Pants Variant
    Science and Medical Blue Pants Variant
    Operations and Security Red Pants Variant

The following uniforms have also been added to the guides.

Jag Officer Uniform - Female
    Jag Officer Uniform - Male

Added to the Canon Dress Uniforms section.

First Officer's Variant Green

Added to the Mirror Universe Uniforms section.

Enjoy!

Great job with those, sir! I'm particularly glad to see the female TOS variants have their guides now! Brilliant and thanks! :)
    edited July 2011
    Hey, Black, I have a bit of a request for you.

This isn't a request for any new Uniform Types (you're doing great on that front as is).

You see, when I'm using your guides to design a character's uniform, it's somewhat time consuming for me because I only have one screen on my computer. So, I need to switch between STO and my Web Browser several times to make sure I have all the details right. I make it work, but I've always thought that there's an easier way out there...

And just recently, I got an MP3 Player for my Birthday--which allows me to view pictures if I want. And I recently just realized the solution lies in that MP3 Player (a Sony Walkman, to be specific). I can download the pictures to the computer, and then transfer those pictures into the Walkman.

However, it can be even more tedius to download all the images I want to be able to access--and that's where the request comes in.

Could you arrange your Uniform Images into File Folders based on Sets (Set A, Set B, Jupiter, TOS, TOS Movies, TNG/DS9/VOY, Bajoran, etc.), compress those folders and put them on a File Sharing Site like MegaUpload or RapidShare, and then provide us links to go to those sites?

It'd definitely make things a lot easier for those of us who use your guides. :D:cool:
    edited July 2011
    Hey Black its Dodge. I actually need your help on something here and I suspect its something you're interested in as well.

I have 2 Gorn captains, and on your advice I saved a few costume slots utilizing their old look before the gorn appearances changed. I love the way the old Gorn style looked TOS-seriesish. These new Gorn are fantastic though. So here's my question. First off are you going to do a Guide on Gorn uniforms, colors, etc. Secondly, I found the patch notes a little unclear regarding the new Gorn costume options. If I leave alone my old costume slots, and work on the vacant ones using the new Gorn style, will that overwrite the look on what I consider my TOS gorn appearance? In essence will I be able to have a Gorn with both looks, based on swapping things out.

Help on this will be much appreciated, and I'm sure plenty of people want to know (including you). :)
    edited July 2011
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    Great job with those, sir! I'm particularly glad to see the female TOS variants have their guides now! Brilliant and thanks! :)

Thanks, Alan! I'm glad you like them.
    KiraYamato wrote:

This isn't a request for any new Uniform Types (you're doing great on that front as is).

You see, when I'm using your guides to design a character's uniform, it's somewhat time consuming for me because I only have one screen on my computer. So, I need to switch between STO and my Web Browser several times to make sure I have all the details right. I make it work, but I've always thought that there's an easier way out there...

And just recently, I got an MP3 Player for my Birthday--which allows me to view pictures if I want. And I recently just realized the solution lies in that MP3 Player (a Sony Walkman, to be specific). I can download the pictures to the computer, and then transfer those pictures into the Walkman.

However, it can be even more tedius to download all the images I want to be able to access--and that's where the request comes in.

Could you arrange your Uniform Images into File Folders based on Sets (Set A, Set B, Jupiter, TOS, TOS Movies, TNG/DS9/VOY, Bajoran, etc.), compress those folders and put them on a File Sharing Site like MegaUpload or RapidShare, and then provide us links to go to those sites?

It'd definitely make things a lot easier for those of us who use your guides. :D:cool:

Though it is a rather daunting task with the mass of guides I have created, I will definitely look into that for you.

edited July 2011
    Though it is a rather daunting task with the mass of guides I have created, I will definitely look into that for you.

Thanks. :)

And feel free to organize it either by Uniform or by Set, whichever would work better for you. :D:cool:
    edited July 2011
    Hey Black its Dodge. I actually need your help on something here and I suspect its something you're interested in as well.

I have 2 Gorn captains, and on your advice I saved a few costume slots utilizing their old look before the gorn appearances changed. I love the way the old Gorn style looked TOS-seriesish. These new Gorn are fantastic though. So here's my question. First off are you going to do a Guide on Gorn uniforms, colors, etc. Secondly, I found the patch notes a little unclear regarding the new Gorn costume options. If I leave alone my old costume slots, and work on the vacant ones using the new Gorn style, will that overwrite the look on what I consider my TOS gorn appearance? In essence will I be able to have a Gorn with both looks, based on swapping things out.

Help on this will be much appreciated, and I'm sure plenty of people want to know (including you). :)

Hey, Dodge.

Yes, I plan on doing some Gorn guides. You can look forward to them in the coming weeks. I also plan to update the current guides with the necessary changes (adding correct badges and whatnot). Currently I am having some issues with the game that may slow down my progress, but I will try to work through it.

And yes, If you do not Modify the slots you have currently set then you can save the old Gorn look on all of your current slots. Changes made on any new slots will not affect them.

edited July 2011
    KiraYamato wrote:

Anything you can do, Black, if you can. I tried printing out some of your guides some time ago to save all that switching between the game and web browser aggro. Unfortunately I found another problem: they're real ink vampires I can tell ya. LOL
    edited July 2011
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    Anything you can do, Black, if you can. I tried printing out some of your guides some time ago to save all that switching between the game and web browser aggro. Unfortunately I found another problem: they're real ink vampires I can tell ya. LOL

That's why an MP3 Player/iPod is the perfect solution. Sure, the pictures might be a bit... small, but at least they are completely separate from the computer you're playing STO on. :D:cool:
    edited July 2011
    KiraYamato wrote:
    That's why an MP3 Player/iPod is the perfect solution. Sure, the pictures might be a bit... small, but at least they are completely separate from the computer you're playing STO on. :D:cool:

Not a bad idea at all. :cool:

Ah! Brainwave! I've got a digital photo frame. If I saved Black's SF uniform guides on to a memory pen and plugged it in to my frame...problem solved. :D
    edited July 2011
    Actually, not to spoil the idea, but here's a notion...with the dawn of Season 4, and colors now having absolute number/letter references, the Guides no longer need to be images at all. Sure, there can be a reference image, but for simplicity's sake, a guide can be:

Jacket: Jupiter 3 (A7, C19, G22, F10)
    etc. for each part in the costume.

This would make it easier to use the guide (no more "let's count how many boxes from left, and how many from top), and it would take up a heck of a lot less room; you could save the text without saving an image file.
    edited July 2011
    gamerngeek wrote: »
    Actually, not to spoil the idea, but here's a notion...with the dawn of Season 4, and colors now having absolute number/letter references, the Guides no longer need to be images at all. Sure, there can be a reference image, but for simplicity's sake, a guide can be:

This would make it easier to use the guide (no more "let's count how many boxes from left, and how many from top), and it would take up a heck of a lot less room; you could save the text without saving an image file.

You are correct, there is no longer a need for the color charts and pointers at all. Though it will take me some time (nearly 300 guides to update) I do plan on restructuring the guides to be more compact using the new code references.

edited July 2011
    gamerngeek wrote: »

You are correct, there is no longer a need for the color charts and pointers at all. Though it will take me some time (nearly 300 guides to update) I do plan on restructuring the guides to be more compact using the new code references.

Cool, guys, cool. Whatever can be figured out with that I'm sure will be incredibly helpful. :cool:

And nearly 300 guides? Wow! Has it really been that many? Black, you are truly awesome man! Cheers! :cool:
    edited July 2011
    Voy is wrong...... It Purple not grey
This discussion has been closed.